PDA

View Full Version : I almost hit the bottle..of hair dye

lora410
July 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
So, I decided to switch from henna to henndigo. My problem is I am not patient (indigo will be mailed tomorrow) so I though I would dye my hair black with box dye and then just next time do henndigo. So me and the kiddo traveled to walmart. I am standing there and then I reach for a box and read the ingredients; and I think i scared myself when I saw HYDROGEN PEROXIDE and cetyl alcohol etc. OMG I had NO CLUE what was really in that crap. I know 1 time won't hurt me but I don't even want to deal with a little dryness and possible breakage when I have come so far.

So I decided to be patient and wait for my indigo. Moral or the story is. Next time you feel like dyeing read the label and you may scare yourself out of it.

NiAosSi
July 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for posting this because I was thinking the exact same thing! No joke, I ordered the indigo and everything but, I felt impatient and wanted to buy box dye. Hmm, I will play the waiting game with you. I've been seriously wanting black hair!

Zombiekins
July 15th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the hydrogen peroxide is a little much...but cetyl alcohol is just a fatty alcohol, no drying or damage there.

I've used herbatint before without any damage issues. And you could always pick up a semi-permanent color to tide you over until your indigo shows up. Sally's Beauty Supply has a ton.

thankyousir74
July 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Was the two week rule involved in this? :eyebrows:

tigerlily896
July 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
good idea on the waiting! I know its hard, I feel ya there.

Fractalsofhair
July 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hydrogen peroxide is used in all non deposit only colors, to make them last longer.(Permanent, semi perm, even a lot of wash out ones!) Sadly, it does damage your hair. Congrats for waiting, and indigo will give you a better choice! Black hair dye is a pain to get out and can damage hair!

BroknRechord
July 15th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Yey for waiting! I'm excited to see how you feel about the henndigo.

BranwenWolf
July 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yes, even if you're going darker, most of the regular dyes have peroxide. The stuff has to lift your color and put in the actual dye. It is wise to wait for henna.

I dyed my hair red with the 30-day kits (I keep forgetting if that's semi- or demi-permanent) and it lifted my base color a bit, so I have darker blonde roots now, and it makes it look like my almost-natural color is bottle blonde!

Heidi_234
July 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Good thing you did! You've come so far, why ruin it? :flower:
I try to put as much perspective on decision as I can - in this case: Waiting 1 day - in a month I'll barely remember this annoyance. But if I don't and accidentally ruin my hair with a commercial dye, I'm not going to forget it for the next few years (yes, it happened to me). Personally, in my eyes there's no question - to wait one day for indigo or to dye with chemicals today, and I'm glad you've made the right choice Lora! :agree:

Autumnberry
July 16th, 2009, 12:39 AM
When you've had such wonderful progress, it's important to realize that progress and be patient. Focusing on something else like makeup or jewelry could help with the wait!

almudena
July 16th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I remember that at this time last year, I felt *guilty* for, after more than one year babying my hair with henna and indigo, I did my roots with chemical dye. I even wrote about it.
As per today, I constantly switch between both and I have no problem at all. When one has been doing all the natural stuff for that long with great results, can’t help but look at the chemical stuff as the evil. But it is not. With the right information, one can get the best of it without problems :flower:

rogue_psyche
July 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Common hair myth: "There's no bleach if you're going darker!" Not always (or usually) true. Next time you get impatient, try Manic Panic (or another 'veggie').

Good job on waiting. :D

lora410
July 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for posting this because I was thinking the exact same thing! No joke, I ordered the indigo and everything but, I felt impatient and wanted to buy box dye. Hmm, I will play the waiting game with you. I've been seriously wanting black hair!

I am glad I was able to help someone else too :D

SHELIAANN1969
July 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hey Lora, it was mailed this morning, it should be there by Monday/Tuesday at the latest!! ;)

Bianca
July 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I almost dyed my hair a coulpe weeks ago too. Actually bought the same color twice, only to discover that I couldn't do it. Both due to the upkeep (roots) and the chemicals...

In my younger years I would have used it as soon as I stepped inside the door :D