PDA

View Full Version : Ack!! Velcro ends! Help!!

whiteisle
July 15th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I've got the dreaded velcro ends......what do I do? My last trim was at the end of March and I was hoping to make it til the end of August. Is that the problem? How do I treat this?

Currently I'm using PLH poo bars with a vinegar & honey rinse and then running coconut oil through it while still wet. (if that matters :))

Madame J
July 15th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I didn't have Velcro ends, but I felt my ends getting a little frizzly a month or so ago, so I ran some shea butter balm over the ends of my braid before bed, and then used that instead of coconut oil after washing once a week. Maybe for more damaged ends, you would need it more often. I used Perfect Organics shea butter lip balm (it's a mix of shea, jojoba oil, hazelnut oil, sweet almond oil, and vitamin E). For reference, I also use a bar shampoo (JR Liggett) with a dilute ACV rinse, and coconut oil on damp hair after washing, so it's pretty close to your routine.

If you don't have Perfect Organics in your local health food store, you could try mixing up some of Kimberlily's shea butter creme from the favorite recipes thread.

Chanteuse87
July 15th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Well, I just had a similar problem, and I think it was related to coconut oil. My hair can't handle it when I put it on wet, and it doesn't soak in well as a leave in, ever. I mixed up a sample amount of Fox's Shea Butter recipe, 2 parts shea, 2 parts conditioner, 1 part coconut oil, and the difference is amazing! From what I understand, coconut oil prevents protein loss, which could inadvertently lead to a protein disaster -- cue velcro ends. But the shea butter seems to be working for me, you should give it a go!

BlndeInDisguise
July 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Is there any chance you could have a build up and would need to clarify?

daisy
July 15th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I used to use shampoo bars with ACV rinse and jojoba the ends daily. My hair felt very dry at that time, especially a few days after wash day. I often wondered if I should have washed more often to get more moisture into the hair.

One thing that did work for me, was molasses. I did SMTs with molasses or just plain molasses before I shampooed. My hair felt silky for 2-3 washes after that. I imagine honey would work just as well, but I was trying to stain my bleached hair to match my natural brown. This treatment made my hair very sticky, and the tub was messy and slippery, but the resulting hair was great. I'm also afraid to use honey in the summer, because I read it attracts bees. I don't know if molasses would, since it comes from cane sugar, but I haven't tried. I use a commercial moisturizing treatment at the moment which probably has fragrance that attracts bees. I'm probably not saving myself at all, but at least I feel like I am. :D

lora410
July 15th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I am wondering if it is the coconut oil and protien overload. If I use to much coconut oil my ends get crunchy. I would clarify and see if that helps. You ends shouldn't be Velcro like only a few months after a trim. I haven't had a trim in quite some time and my ends are still fine.

GlassEyes
July 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I agree with Lora. It could be too much protein, and using coconut oil hellps prevent protein loss in hair, so you need less of it as a general rule.

It really COULD be build up too. Shampoo bars can build up, I think, especially if you're just starting to use them. I'd shampoo first before doing anything drastic.

Nightshade
July 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I have issues with oils making my ends crunchy as well.

Perhaps clarify and try something like Fox's shea conditioner cream? I can use loads of that without issue.

thankyousir74
July 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Well, I just had a similar problem, and I think it was related to coconut oil. My hair can't handle it when I put it on wet, and it doesn't soak in well as a leave in, ever. I mixed up a sample amount of Fox's Shea Butter recipe, 2 parts shea, 2 parts conditioner, 1 part coconut oil, and the difference is amazing! From what I understand, coconut oil prevents protein loss, which could inadvertently lead to a protein disaster -- cue velcro ends. But the shea butter seems to be working for me, you should give it a go!

Wow. And here I wondered about what might be wrong with my hair. Once more, LHC has proved itself as a wonderful sprinf of knowledge!

andrea1982
July 15th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Clarify! Whenever this happens to me (which is usually about every three months) I use a good clarifying/chelating shampoo (A/G Renew), lather twice, and my hair is back to normal.

Before LHC I would always trim to get rid of this feeling because I thought it was just damaged ends. I'm so happy I found out about this trick.

ecologystudent
July 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Ok, I obviously need to read more- I had no idea that coconut oil helped to retain protein! Is there a list somewhere that shows the various different effects of the different oils?

Magicknthenight
July 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Oy my hair was feeling a bit odd after leaving it down for a little bit. I forgot about the protein thing with coconut oil! Perhaps their was too much of that...
Time to mix it up:D
You could try new deep conditioners! Maybe with one of those warming caps?
The only one i use is burts bees grape fruit shea and grapefruit for 45 minutes instead of 2.

Ok, I obviously need to read more- I had no idea that coconut oil helped to retain protein! Is there a list somewhere that shows the various different effects of the different oils?

This might help :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66