PDA

View Full Version : Opinion - moving Hemispheres and seasonal growth rates

Shadow
July 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Hi Everyone,

I know that there must be more than a few people like me on this forum who grew up in one hemisphere (southern for me) and now live in another (northern now). What I was thinking was this: Since my growth rate normally sped up in the spring/summer (as a lot of people's does), which in the southern hemisphere would run from about August through to March, do you think, since I'm now living in a place where the seasons are opposite, that my best growth rate would be in what is now autumn/winter for me (about August to April in the Northern Hemisphere) or do you think that my body will adjust and I will still get faster growth in the (Northern) summer, even though the timing would be different for what my body clock is used to?

Does that make sense? :D

Poppy Seed
July 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Hmmm, I know what you mean, although I started up north and moved south....if anything I suppose I could say I don't notice any obvious increases or decreases in the rate of growth. That could be because my body is still a bit confused as to season (although we've been here 3 years now). It could also be because I don't really notice growth especially - I wear my hair up 99% of the time.

I wonder if growth spurts in the spring/summer are triggered by temperature (the way plants and animals' reporductive cycles are), and maybe my body is confused because it spends so much time being warmer here than in the UK?

hope some other people chime in - I'd love to hear more!

ilovelonghair
July 15th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I have moved hemispheres, but haven't noticed any difference at all. My growth rate seems to be always the same.

florenonite
July 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I would expect your body to adjust, because I think the faster growing is due to things like temperature and the amount of light. How else does your body "know" whether or not it's summer?