PDA

View Full Version : Which styles do you miss?

Roseate
July 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I'm curious about what styles y'all long haired folks liked at shorter lengths that you can't do anymore. I know French twists expire for most people at some point, and the Gibson Tuck... what else? What styles do you miss most?

lizzyjo
July 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I really miss having cute little stubby pigtails when my hair was barely shoulder-length.

lacereza
July 15th, 2009, 02:27 AM

Aditi
July 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I miss French Twist a lot, when my hair qualified for it i was not aware of that style and now i am aware, my hair are not qualified :D

Poppy Seed
July 15th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I liked the peacock twists when I could wax the ends and have a kind "crown" effect - think Statue of Liberty. Also the cute pigtails - although I probably wouldn't wear them much any more anyway (not smart enough for work).

I have some hairtoys that I just can't use anymore either: they're too small for certain styles and too big for others!

masterofmidgets
July 15th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I wish I had had a chance to do a French twist. I think they look neat, very sleek and sophisticated, but I didn't learn how to do anything with my hair beyond a low ponytail until after I hit waist length (me+updos=epic fail, I swear). It would have been nice to do some cute bouncy pigtails or something, too. On the other hand, it was nice not to have to wait to get long enough to do some of the styles that need more length, like hair-taping or a pony-bun. So I guess it balances out in the end between the styles I can't do at my length and the styles that need hair as long as mine to do.

Calanthe
July 15th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Peacock twists. I still can do both the Gibson Tuck and French Twist in all its variants, though. One (and the only) advantage of having very very fine hair...:D

swanns
July 15th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I miss French Twist a lot, when my hair qualified for it i was not aware of that style and now i am aware, my hair are not qualified :D

Same here :D

HotRag
July 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I can't make any 40's roll hairdos anymore. Must be rather short to look good.

Heidi_234
July 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I don't miss ANYTHING about my short hair!

AJoifulNoise
July 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Honestly, what I can do now far outweighs what I miss. But, I do sometimes long for a high ponytail or a spikey peacock twist with a claw clip. I haven't been able to do either of those in ages. The peacock twist was my signature style for a couple of years.

amaiaisabella
July 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I really miss having cute little stubby pigtails when my hair was barely shoulder-length.

Yup. I loved the hairstyle but hated the length :) It's APL or longer for me now, I don't think I could go back unless it was super short.

Finoriel
July 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I donīt think thereīs any style I miss, but I miss two sticks and a fork :wail: canīt wear them because they got too short for my length.

ericthegreat
July 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I used to do a pony mohawk when my hair was above my shoulders to just around shoulder length. At that particular length, my hair has just the right amount of tension to stand straight up when you tie an elastic around it. I would divide my hair into little ponytails from top to bottom forming a spine. I was rocking the Sanjaya mohawk even before he made it infamous on American Idol!
I have no pics of myself with this style, but here's are two photos of Sanjaya with the mohawk:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/438035242_b11e2a833a_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/437613163_4fae2309bc.jpg

Curlsgirl
July 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Peacock twist and high cute ponytail.

jivete
July 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Like others, I miss the peacock twist. But I also miss being able to use a curling iron or straightening iron.

KarenLynn
July 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Braids that look good.
Scrunchie bun.
The original lazy French twist.

enfys
July 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I can't make any 40's roll hairdos anymore. Must be rather short to look good.

Oh yeah.

When my fringe grows out enough to not be annoying I'll be trying to create some good 40s looks with length. I have some ideas.

Gumball
July 15th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I don't really miss much of anything. Anything I could do when I actually started to try styles is doable now, with some just needing minor modifications. There is also a lot more that is possible with my hair at the length it currently is versus what it was when my hair was shorter, say, at shoulder.

Aditi
July 16th, 2009, 03:02 AM
What's peacock twist? Can anybody give me instructions for it? Thanks.

EvaSimone
July 16th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I miss french twists and log rolls don't look anything like a true french twist IMO. :wail:

I also liked having hair that would sort of spike out of updos when I would do messy buns and peacock twists.

Chanterelle
July 16th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I miss my bright multi-coloured styles I had when my hair was short. I would dye them every 2 or 3 months just for a change. Unfortunately they don't look good on long hair :(

Melisande
July 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Peacock twist (http://www.hairfinder.com/tips/hairzing7.jpg)

It just means that the end of your hair fans out like a peacock's tail. Looks really cute. Yeah, I'm sorry about this too, and the French twist, and the Gibson tuck. Loved them. Tucked/under French braid - gone. Together with my waves and some beloved sticks...

hellkitty
July 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I'm a hair klutz, but I was even worse when my hair was shorter. So I'm reading all these ladies missing the French Twist and a peacock, and I say, man, even when my hair was that length, I could never manage to get them right. French Twists always gave me serious 'alien head' and my hair doesn't 'peacock'--it just sort of *flops*. :(

The one way of wearing my hair that I can actually *do* that I miss, though, is half-ups. Any variation--a half up with a barrette, half up braided, etc. My hair has too much taper at its length to look good down, and to *halve* that---no way!

HK

Isa-belle
July 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM
The only style I miss is the ponytail. I just don't find ponytails to be comfortable anymore.
As was already said, the number (and IMO beauty) of styles you can achieve far outweighs that of the styles allowed by shorter lengths.

Finoriel
July 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hmm tucked under French braids still work for me and my hair is nearing knee-lenth. Itīs just important to start the french part of the braid loose enough to accomodate the growing bulk and to īpackī i.e. roll up the braid neatly. Donīt give up, just adapt your technique :wink:

ReddishRocks
July 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I miss the ease of a high pony (my hair's getting a bit long to do that comfortably for any length of time), and I miss peacocks and lazy French Twists. My go-to sleep style was a pineapple (think Pebbles from the Flintstones), and I'm now having to half the old pineapple, which isn't as great for my curls.

I also miss the more carefree days of wearing it down! When it was just below APL, I never leaned against it when I sat, never got it caught in the seatbelt, never had to wrangle it out of my shirt in the morning... And, as all curly-wavies know, your pattern changes as you grow out. My curls were bouncier when my hair was shorter, but I really do love these waves... :)

Periwinkle
July 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
The only style I miss is the ponytail. I just don't find ponytails to be comfortable anymore.
As was already said, the number (and IMO beauty) of styles you can achieve far outweighs that of the styles allowed by shorter lengths.

There's certainly an investment in it, but there's definitely awkward stages. I'm at almost waist, but because of the thickness of my hair, the only styles I can do are cinnabuns and braids, and it's going to take a good few inches yet before I can manage anything else. At a few inches above BSL, there were a lot more styles open to me (ponytails were still fine, peacock twists and French twists worked, messy buns were quite possible if difficult with the thickness, folded ponys looked quite good, etc.). That's a gap of more than 6" already, which is a year's growing time at average rate, and for me it's a lot slower than that because I've trimmed to remove layers.

Canarygirl
July 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hmmm...interesting thread! I'm only at shoulder length (I have a long neck) plus the last 3 inches of my hair is feathered from its former pixie. So it feels like a long time until I'm near APL and able to do cool stuff with my hair.

if I'm not high-jacking too badly, are there any bunna-fide buns that are doable/attractive at APL length (I'm not counting french twist, peacock twist, Gibson tuck)? :)

tommiefromva
July 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
It's aways been a pony tail.:cool:

LawyerGirl
July 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I miss my faux-hawk!

AnnieW
July 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Victoria Beckham-like front bangs T.T

Amara
July 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Peacock twists, french twists, cute stubby pigtails, twin buns just behind my ears held with only 1 scrunchie each (I can still do the buns but it's more of an undertaking)....

MandaMom2Three
July 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I miss my peacocks, and when I had just under shoulder length, I did these cute half pig tails :crush:

JamieLeigh
July 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
The French twist, and the French braid tucked under are really the only styles I can't do anymore. I didn't know many before. :o

Aditi
July 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Peacock twist (http://www.hairfinder.com/tips/hairzing7.jpg)

It just means that the end of your hair fans out like a peacock's tail. Looks really cute. Yeah, I'm sorry about this too, and the French twist, and the Gibson tuck. Loved them. Tucked/under French braid - gone. Together with my waves and some beloved sticks...
Thanks Melisande :), i used to do that when my hair was at APL but i just didn't knew that it's called a peacock twist :D

myotislucifugus
July 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I suspect it would have been easier to do a french twist without looking like a mutant with shorter hair, but I doubt it...

What I really miss is going in for a trim, and not being all that upset when the hairdresser took off more than I really wanted because it only took around two or three months to get back where I wanted to be. Or being paranoid about going to the hair dresser. Or regretting (really really really regretting) tipping the hairdresser, ever.

Isa-belle
July 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
There's certainly an investment in it, but there's definitely awkward stages. I'm at almost waist, but because of the thickness of my hair, the only styles I can do are cinnabuns and braids, and it's going to take a good few inches yet before I can manage anything else. At a few inches above BSL, there were a lot more styles open to me (ponytails were still fine, peacock twists and French twists worked, messy buns were quite possible if difficult with the thickness, folded ponys looked quite good, etc.). That's a gap of more than 6" already, which is a year's growing time at average rate, and for me it's a lot slower than that because I've trimmed to remove layers.
Yes, I agree. Between BSL and waist was awkward for me as well - there wasn't many buns I could do apart from cinnabuns and braided cinnabuns.
Reaching hips, however, opened up a whole new vista :) Hang in there! You are blessed with gorgeous thick hair and it will be even more stunning when it's down your back.

Shiva
July 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'll probably get flogged for this, but I miss my big 80's/90's hair.

Katrina
July 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I miss a high ponytail and French twist. However, I never tried to do French twist when my hair was short enough for it. I didn't even know how to do one before LHC :D.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I don't miss ANYTHING about my short hair!

lol me either! :cheese: Peacock twists perhaps. There is no real way for me to wear them now without bunning underneath. I used to wear them all the time because they were cute and easy to do but not so much anymore.

Roseate
July 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I must admit I'm pretty happy that the #1 missed style is the peacock twist.... because I can't do them anyway. (My hair's too coarse, it sticks straight up in an odd bristly way instead of making graceful floppy tails like I see everywhere.) So that means I'll have less to miss!

I know I'll be sad when the French twist expires, I wear that one a lot. And with my thickness, as I recall, there's sort of a wasteland after BSL- it takes a while to get enough length for the fancier twisty styles , and the 'tuck' styles are gone by then. I'll try to stick it out.

LadyLongLocks
July 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I miss being able to wear a high ponytail. My hair is too heavy and long to wear one now.

katiana
July 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I do notice a lot of super cute short hairdos lately and do miss having to wear it down and just tucked behind my ears. I do miss the ease of it in someways and it just never tangled!

SeaShell
July 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I sometimes miss my shoulder length hair...just how tiny ponytails and pigtails looked, but I don't miss it enough to cut my hair!

redneckprincess
July 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I was so looking forward to getting to my next styling project (braiding) I almost forgot about the ones I can no longer do....but there is one... my baby pony piggy tails....*pic below from July 2008..
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/hair/0713081157.jpg

dragonfrog
July 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
None.

I found LHC in search of hairstyles, because the only ones I knew were ponytail, folded ponytail, and English braid. I can still do all of those, so nothing to miss :)

I notice a lot of people on this thread (with length/thickness very close to mine) have mentioned they cannot do a French twist. I just learned to do Hypnotica's hair slide French twist, and it is probably the easiest and most secure hairstyle I can do right now. My hair is just over 35", about 3.25" thickness tapering down to under 2" at the ends. If anyone has similar length and thickness, I would highly recommend this French twist variation.

LittleOrca
July 18th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I don't miss having short hair. I do what I used to do with short hair with longer hair. I still wear pigtails, though I look more like a cocker spaniel now than a teeny-bopper. :D

Rentlle
July 18th, 2009, 07:22 AM
those easy flip things with a crocodile-clip :)
when I just put my hair up and I had a tiny little hair-thingie out of the clip, nou it's huge and I don't like the style anymore :(