PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding heat

withlove
July 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
How can I avoid using heat in my hair? It's severely damaged, I've bleached it for the past 4 years, and the last time I dyed it was in May when I dyed it brown. So I've been doing deep treatments and getting regular trims. I want to stop using heat all together, but I'm addicted to straightening the front portion of my hair, including my bangs. I have weird wavy/curly hair so it looks strange if I don't! Please help!

Laylah
July 14th, 2009, 11:06 PM
You can set your bangs, when damp, into rollers to get make them straight, but you have to use the biggest rollers you can find. They should be large enough that the bangs don't wrap all the way around the roller.

jera
July 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
How can I avoid using heat in my hair? It's severely damaged, I've bleached it for the past 4 years, and the last time I dyed it was in May when I dyed it brown. So I've been doing deep treatments and getting regular trims. I want to stop using heat all together, but I'm addicted to straightening the front portion of my hair, including my bangs. I have weird wavy/curly hair so it looks strange if I don't! Please help!

How long or short is your hair. :confused: You didn't mention that and it would make a diff to your options. :)

Kyannah
July 15th, 2009, 01:43 AM
If you are not growing out your bangs it wouldn't make a difference if you straighten just them, as they would be cut often anyway. If you are growing them it is a different matter.

In the summer months especially I avoid heat styling by putting my hair in a bun while it is still quite wet. It does take a while to dry but doesn't bother me as it is up.

When I put it down I get loose waves throughout and it feels nice and soft.

Rapunzal2Be
July 15th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Keep it up or pulled back! :) Try using pure aloe gel and a leave in to tame it back, use some hair friendly pins if you need to. Just find a style that you can live with, keep it up for a few months, and then voila, one day you'll look at your hair and be like, "Wow, it grew!" (and it'll thank you for not blowfrying or straightening it that whole time!).

Also, if you change up your routine a bit, your 'weird wavy/curly' hair might take on more pleasant looking curls. :)

withlove
July 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
How long or short is your hair. :confused: You didn't mention that and it would make a diff to your options. :)

It's just below my shoulders, and my bangs are at my eyebrows. I just want my hair to grow! It's so dead :(

thankyousir74
July 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Also, if you change up your routine a bit, your 'weird wavy/curly' hair might take on more pleasant looking curls. :)

I agree with this. have you lurked around a bit? There are some articles that can help you avoid some of the things that are killing your hair. Maybe you should try some hair experiments, like Conditioner Only, or cone/sulfate free. Also I think what would be best for your hair's health is to accept your hair type for what it is, instead of heating it to look like something it's not. :twocents:

withlove
July 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I agree with this. have you lurked around a bit? There are some articles that can help you avoid some of the things that are killing your hair. Maybe you should try some hair experiments, like Conditioner Only, or cone/sulfate free. Also I think what would be best for your hair's health is to accept your hair type for what it is, instead of heating it to look like something it's not. :twocents:

Thanks for your help. I'll check out some of the threads! I'm new here :) I think I'd like my hair type better if it was longer!

Mrs.X
July 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
When i was growing out my fringe/bangs i just clipped them back so they were out of the way in a quiff type thing so they still looked nice but i didn't have to straighten them. Also have you tried just blowdrying them straight rather than straightening them aswell? I don't know what your hair type is so this might not work for you, but it could work well as a midway point between straightening and leaving them natural that's not quite as damaging to your hair.

withlove
July 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
When i was growing out my fringe/bangs i just clipped them back so they were out of the way in a quiff type thing so they still looked nice but i didn't have to straighten them. Also have you tried just blowdrying them straight rather than straightening them aswell? I don't know what your hair type is so this might not work for you, but it could work well as a midway point between straightening and leaving them natural that's not quite as damaging to your hair.

I'm not worried as much about growing out my bangs. I'm more concerned about growing out the rest of my hair. My bangs are no longer as curly since they're so short.

cupcakes
July 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Shoulder length was pretty rough for me too because the waves were awkward. I wore my hair up a lot and once it was long enough to stay behind my shoulders the waviness was less bothersome (and is now, at midback, even pretty). There's just some lengths where waves are unhappy. Good luck and don't get discouraged :)

thankyousir74
July 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM
If you really want length, I recommend that you take a look at the Monistat Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=monistat)

To understand the basics to truly healthy hair, I recommend Nightshade's Article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) as well as Ursula's Article. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)

InTheCity
July 15th, 2009, 05:20 PM
When your hair is wet, smooth it tight onto your head and clip it down. Let it dry that way and it should be relatively straight. Especially bangs, I bet you can use a bobbypin or those snappy clips to secure it to one side and let it dry.

withlove
July 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I am definitely going to try the Monistat thing. Everyone's so nice here :)

Renbirde
July 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
There was a thread up a while ago about how to straighten hair w/o heat. It involved slicking the wet hair against your head and letting it dry, with a scarf around it to hold it in place. You could do a search for some keywords... I don't remember what the technique is called. -_-; Sorry.

Toothe
July 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Or just embrace your waves! Maybe you can find a way to encourage them so they don't look weird--scrunching them while wet, or something. Then just straighten your bangs if you need to, but leave the rest "natural." And hang in there--it will grow!

akilina
July 16th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Ah I've been lucky with this problem. About 2 months ago I mostly quit using all heat tools. Don't even blow dry now. Hmm..bout the time i came here :D (thanks to all). I've actually grown to like the way my hair looks normal rather than straightened. I did straighten my bangs today though. I do that maybe once every 2 weeks. Now whenever I straighten my hair I almost feel bad for what I'm doing to it.

JamiG
July 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I wurly hair just below shoulder length. I blow-dried and flat ironed my hair off and on for years and have recently stopped doing it altogether. Went cold turkey so to speak. I started using Gladtobemom's frizz buster gel which I love, and have been wearing my hair up alot. I'm growing out my bangs which are not straight across but hang sort of to the side. They aren't long enough to go back into the updos, but with a little curl in them hanging down they look ok with the rest of my hair put up. I don't love my hair in its natural state right now, but I think that will change as it gets longer. Since giving up the heat, it feels betters and looks healthier. Good luck. It's hard giving up the heat, but I think you will be glad you did in the long run.

AnnieW
July 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I have wavy hair too,its almost straight at the top but at the ends its kind of curly/wavy,so I occasionally use a straightener...I've dyed it three times in the last year so I guess we're in a similar situation...
My hair is about hip length and what I do is applying olive oil and honey before washing it(shampoo twice and then apply conditioner or a mask),let air dry and put some oil on it(just a few drops).Make sure not to brush your hair when its damp because it will probably get frizzy and have more volume...

Bianca
July 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I have wavy hair too. To get my bangs straight, I use bobby pins. Just pull the hair to the side, pin it down with a coulpe pins. After a coulpe hours I pull them to the other side, seems to get it straighter that way. Let it dry totally... I leave mine in over night... Works great. Done it for years :D