PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Sam's Fiasco.

BlackfootHair
April 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Big surprise that I would have a bad hair cut experience. As if I don't have enough to worry about! As you know, I've recently damaged my hair with bleach. Yes, my fault, I accept that. I trimmed it myself, blunt cut, up to just above my shoulders to tide me over till pay day. My hair was seriously damaged and I knew there was no salvaging it.

Went to FS today to have it worked on some more. I told her exactly what I wanted...she gave me the exact opposite...Big surprise!

I said I wanted just a little off the bottom to even it up, and layers throughout. I showed her where I wanted the layers, and where I wanted the shortest layer to fall. She kept the length where I wanted it...but cut the layers horribly. I told her they didn't feel right...they felt wispy, thin, pointy. Before she started I had told her that's exactly what I DID NOT want, and I liked my layers to feel THICK. Yeah.....so much for getting that.

After 20 minutes of running my hands over my layers and being seriously disappointed in the crappy cut she gave me, I asked her if the other lady working there would have a different idea how to cut the layers...........So the other lady comes over, listens to what I want, and starts making fixes to the other girl's mishaps. It starts to feel better.........but the second lady has to go back to her client and the first girl takes over...still doesn't feel right. Finally I tell her that I'm going to stop there and drive an hour and a half to see a lady who used to cut my hair in high school as she knows how to cut my layers. (the hairdresser and I were having a talk; she was telling me I should let her blow dry it to see, it would look different/feel different. I told her that if it didn't look right wet, or feel right wet, it certainly wasn't going to look or feel better dry...and I reminded her a third time I don't blow dry my hair. Finally, as I was ready to leave the chair, she went to the 2nd lady to probably tell her I still wasn't happy with it. Lady 2 (who was a manager as well) came over there all more than willing to take another look at it. I agreed, and the comb was back in my hair. She quietly explained to me that the girl was just out of school...and the cut she gave me? Yeah...is the kind of cut you give when the person wants their layers to flip out. I had told her I wanted my layers to curl under. The manager still had a client (who was getting a perm) so after 5 quick minutes of her going over my whole head and making adjustments, she told me to come back tomorrow and she'd get it fixed out for me. She knew it was a crap cut, and she knew I wasn't happy...but I went ahead and paid the $8 because I'm having the manager fix it as soon as they open tomorrow. She told me more than once that she'd get it fixed up for me.

Luckily I was able to wrangle it in a pony tail. It looks like poop. There's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable with the way your hair looks on your head.

Short chunky wispy uneven blotched layers. It doesn't lay right. It's not blended. I'm not happy. I feel all emotional right now...like, I'm never going to have waist length natural colored hair. How many years now have I been "growing out my hair". It's ridiculous and I'm quite sick of it.

At least my hair has less damage on the length than it did...not that I have much length to speak of. At least I can still smell the front since it's long enough to still pull around.

I really would just like a wig now. :wail::wail::wail:

eadwine
April 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Aww gee, what a mess. I hope she can indeed fix it for you today!

OhioLisa
April 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Well, ya know, now you know why she works at Fantastic Sam's. You get what you pay for. :shrug:

DecafJane
April 12th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry about your hair - poor girl!

*BelievingAgain
April 12th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Just try to keep in mind that your hair WILL grow...just care for what you have, and try not to concentrate on the 'now' element...things will get better, and quicker than you think. And try to find a hairdresser you can trust!! (Easier said than done, I know!)

Jess :flower:

birthmarkie
April 12th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I hope the manager does a better job. Let us know. Layering is a risky business, but I will tell you that as you grow an inch or two, they may stop flipping...mine did. I don't think your hair looks bad in your siggie photo. Try to stay positive.

AutumnLeaves
April 12th, 2008, 06:05 AM
You know that some of us just have to learn the hard way what is best for our heads. It has taken me about 25 years to figure it out. I can see the damage in the photo and while it is not an LHC approved recommendation, I think I would cut all the damage out, even if it meant going short and quit the coloring. Of course, what I would do doesn't matter as you have to be happy with it.

I know what you mean about trying and wanting to grow the hair out natural. I finally bit the bullet and cut down to silver root lines last September and I am just now getting to shoulder length. No more dye for me. No more cuts either (except my bangs).

Just do what you have to do, sweetie. Nothing wrong with Fantastic Sam's either. Some of us can't afford to go to more expensive places! Do the best you can with what you have and move forward with the growing out process.

birthmarkie
April 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I completely agree with the post above except that I don't have an opinion on further cutting. When I think back on all the chances I had to grow long, natural hair and ended up doing other things to it, it makes me wonder what in the world I was thinking. Just remember that change comes from the inside, not the outside. You have now and will have in the future all the chances you need to meet your goals, but maybe you need to find that right time for you.

SHELIAANN1969
April 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
(((blackfoothair))) I'm so sorry, all I can offer is hugs and sympathies, treat yourself to some NICE conditioners and deep condition and pamper yourself after the next cut is all over.

Poor kid, I am feeling bad for you.

BlackfootHair
April 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
treat yourself to some NICE conditioners and deep condition and pamper yourself after the next cut is all over.

Poor kid, I am feeling bad for you.

Um...surprisingly, after the fiasco, I went straight to walmart and bought the new John Frieda smoothing shampoo and conditioner for brunettes. I also bought this Profectiv mega growth lotion. It has tons of good oils. and it's a cream. Really nice. I also bought some clips last night after work. So yeah, retail therapy needs to stop before my money is gone. :) I'll let everyone know how the retrim goes.

Morticia
April 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I feel all emotional right now...like, I'm never going to have waist length natural colored hair.

From reading your posts since you've been a member here at LHC, I'm not sure that waist length natural colored hair is your actual goal. Like AutumnLeaves, I recommend that you just cut it all off right now and start over. It seems that the more that you do stuff to your hair, the unhappier you are with it. Maybe it's time to just leave it alone and let it grow.

Maybe next time, you can spend your money on a stylist who is a bit more expensive, but not straight out of cosmetology school, rather than purchase a bunch of products to console yourself for the bad haircut you just got.

lora410
April 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
You know I am quite sure it was a fantastic sams that butchered my hair up to 3 inches(see photo album for Pict's). My usual stylist wasn't there ( I went in for a shoulder length re-layer which was the length I was keeping it at) so I let some guy do it and he used a razor to cut it *ouch*needless to say I was EXTREMELY gave me some stuff to deal with it while it was growing out but ehhh it was god awful.Needless to say I never went to a salon for a long time. Just know it will grow out faster then you think!!

Sian100
April 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Do you have any pictures?

What's Fantastic Sam's anyway? Some kind of budget hairdressing chain? :shrug: Doesn't sound very fantastic to me. :lol:

CurlyOne
April 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
:flower: Have a hug too! I feel so sorry for you! I had a bad haircut there too. When I was little my mom had them put short layers in my hair all the time. Then we go to the same place get a different lady and I walk out with it barely past my shoulders. I was not a happy camper I can tell you that! I don't think we ever went back there :luke:

Morticia
April 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Do you have any pictures?

What's Fantastic Sam's anyway? Some kind of budget hairdressing chain? :shrug: Doesn't sound very fantastic to me. :lol:

It's a U.S. chain where for the price of a McDonald's extra value meal, you can have someone fresh out of cosmetology school give you a bad haircut. :twisted: Seriously, they are great for giving clipper cuts. DH would rather pay $8 for his buzz cut than $20.

Yes, sometimes, there are more experienced stylists working at places at Supercuts and Fantastic Sams, but it's a gamble. Sometimes it's worth the extra $12 to make sure that you are getting someone who had to go through an apprenticeship to get a station.

SHELIAANN1969
April 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM
It's a U.S. chain where for the price of a McDonald's extra value meal, you can have someone fresh out of cosmetology school give you a bad haircut. :twisted: Seriously, they are great for giving clipper cuts. DH would rather pay $8 for his buzz cut than $20.

Yes, sometimes, there are more experienced stylists working at places at Supercuts and Fantastic Sams, but it's a gamble. Sometimes it's worth the extra $12 to make sure that you are getting someone who had to go through an apprenticeship to get a station.

Yeah, when I was 18, I went to a FS.....I had to GO BACK and have the manager re-cut my hair, it was boy short afterwards, needless to say, I was QUITE disgusted and will never go back, Ill either trim it myself, have bf or sissy do it, or go around like a scraggly old witch, at least Ill have hair.

That place is the pits, (at least for me it was) arghhhhhhhh

Sian100
April 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Thanks, Morticia.

prosperina
April 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm going to disagree with what others have said. Do not go and just cut your hair really short. With 2c/3a hair, something really short is depressing, and hard to work with. It poofs out everywhere and horribly unruly, and there's little you can do with it--except be tempted to cut if off again. If you had 1a hair, that would be an entirely different story, At least with the length you have now, you can pull it back in a ponytail or a bun and forget about it. It doesn't look great now, but it's far from hideous.

I've had several good experiences with FS, and I've always paid more than 8 bucks for a hair cut. I dunnoh. Guess it varies. :shrug:

Silver & Gold
April 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry for your present situation. Sadly, I've been there, done that and just as recently had a bad highlighting experience that really fried my hair.
Hang in there and do the best to baby your hair. I've often found that creative use of barrettes and such can get me past a bad haircut and to the next growth phase.

(((((hugs)))))

BlackfootHair
April 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Well, I'm back from the fix. It was a different manager that was there today...but needless to say, she fixed it for me. I haven't taken any pictures yet since I'm covered with itchy hairs all over me that I need to wash off. Also, my hair is dry from the damage I did, so I'm going to do a deep treatment today too. I bought the Biosilk Fruit cocktail reconstructor treatment. It smells like bananas...I love it! I asked her to use my shampoo and conditioner, but she had umpteen reasons why she had to use hers. Oh, and of course shampoo from Walmart is filled with wax and alcohol. I held my tongue as she recommended their products. I just nodded and said, "Oh...okay..." and played dumb. Her shampoo and conditioner left my hair feeling tangled and gross. I'm not 100% positive that she rinsed all the shampoo out before she put in the conditioner either.

Whatever...the hair itself is cut presentably, most of the damage is out, it's a medium/light brown instead of black now...Now it will be easier to grow in my natural color. Next time I need a trim, I'll plan WAY ahead, and drive 1 1/2 hours to the girl who KNOWS how to do hair. She'll be worth it. Even if with gas it turns out to be a costly $50...at least I wont feel like checking every angle after I get done.

Oh, and after the retrim today I can still manage to get it in a very short funky looking pony tail. Some pieces in front want to fall forward, but that's why I bought clips last night. :) I'll post pictures after bit. I'm off for the shower now. :)

At least it looks better, feels better, I can still smell it, and it will still fit in a pony. Yes, the sun still shines. :)

MemSahib
April 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm glad you're happier today, BFH. Bitter as this is, you have learned from it, I think. And your pretty hair will grow so fast, so fast. I can't wait to see it after you baby it for a while.

Unofficial_Rose
April 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I have "been there" with the haircuts that have made me feel awful, too :( So grateful for Feye's trimming method...

But sounds like it's not all bad news if you've a) cut out the damage b) have found a lovely conditioner and c) can get it in a ponytail :)

Especially the last one - much easier to live with if it can be put it in a pony if need be - especially in the mornings - at least you don't have to wash and style it every morning unless you want to!

ole gray mare
April 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Poor girl...I'm sorry for your troubles.

BFH, if your hair will fit in a pony, does that mean you can put it up too? If so, take the following advice: put your hair up and leave it there for a couple of years. Step away from the mirror. Occupy your mind with something else.

When you let your hair down in three years, you will have exactly what you want: virgin waist length hair.

You will definitely not have that if you don't just LEAVE IT ALONE! :flowers:

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
You know, you don't have to let stylists shampoo you at all... I never used to.

Kittybe
April 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'm so sorry about your bad haircut. Funny thing is that you sound just like me! I had the most fantastic haircut a few years ago, but the hairdresser went on maternity leave and did not return to the salon. I've been looking ever since for a hairdresser who understands what I mean when I say "thick" layers. I, too, end up more often than not with thin, wispy layers that flip up and it drives me crazy! I think that "look" is in right now, judging from the hair style magazines and websites I look through. I also think that most hairdressers have one way they know to cut layers and as soon as they hear that word, they just go to their default technique, without hearing what kind of layers. Oh, and I also had a hairdresser about an hour and half away from where I am now, who I'm seriously considering driving down to see next time I want my haircut. I feel comforted knowing I'm not the only one who has these hair problems. :smile:

Kittybe

spidermom
April 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm .... now in a few months we're not going to read "now that a couple of inches of my natural color have grown out, I remember why I colored it," and "I feel so much sexier with black hair," ? Are we?

Kirin
April 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
BLackfoothair - Don't take this the wrong way but you seem a little OCD about your hair choices, colors, cutting and so on. I think you are one of those that the two week rule really really was created for. You will come to find, sometimes doing nothing is better than trying a whole slew of things to fix a problem.

What we preceive as a problem or flaw usually gets put into a different perspective and self opinion given a few days.

I am sorry about your hair disaster, I think we've all had them, but next time be less impulsive. If you desire long long hair, your choices are critical in making that a reality.

Curlsgirl
April 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM
BFH so glad she was able to fix your hair so you're happier. I used to be the same way as you are, always bored and wanting something different with my hair. I finally got out of that but it was hard. I too also had a bad experience at FS. I had to go to my old hair stylist as well to get it fixed. I am scared of ALL hair salons now and that is one reason I hardly ever go! If I do, I go to Great Clips which I have found are pretty good and I only get the very ends trimmed, nothing else. Hard to mess that up.

DecafJane
April 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm glad you can put it back in a ponytail - keeping it that length and longer is the best thing you can do to keep content with your hair type. (I have thick wavy/curly hair and it has been tough getting it to that length. Thank goodness it grows fast!)

I agree with the people who have suggested that you put it up and just forget about it for a couple of years. Good luck growing fast! :)

Nevermore
April 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I, too, have had terrible haircuts. Some I gave myself, most I got from professionals who were doing exactly what my mother told them to (mullet anyone?) or what I thought I wanted at the time.

I also used to chop my hair when I was upset or depressed. When one of my pet rats died, I gave myself short/terrible bangs. When I was being bullied at school, I gave myself a haircut that left maybe three inches in the front and less than an inch in the back of my formerly around-waist length hair and kept it that way for about a year. Growing it out was a nightmare, so whenever it hit the awkward stage, I cut it again. The point of this is that I've read some of your threads, including the bleach one, and seen the responses that people have given here and we seem alot alike in our hair-changing-due-to-nonhair-things, if that makes sense.

So, to give you some hope, I'm posting to say I have virgin waist length hair now. As long as you can keep from cutting or seriously damaging your hair until you get to your goal, you'll be able to get there. You might want to try only bleaching and dyeing a strip in the front if the hair color bug hits you. If it turns out badly, well, bangs are wonderful things and your overall length will be dandy still.

wintersun99
April 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM

alligatorbaby23
April 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM
blackfoothair, you are absolutely a turnabout. If you do decide to grow/dye/whatever with your hair, all LHC members are here in support. The only reason for any capricious responses is because you seem to be more reckless and spontaneous in your choices (life or hair related) and choose to use the board to your advantage, as in hysterics and drama, rather than as a "Support Board" , which means We all Support One Another through our happiness and problems..
Personally, I enjoy your spontaneity, as it is also my nature. Although not my hair or life choices, in that respect.
Seriously though, I am happy if you felt the need to get rid of damage. I have just cut the last bit of damage out of my hair, from pre LHC, and it is the same length when I joined. Maybe you need to take a step back and figure out where you want to be, hairwise. You have gorgeous hair, thick and wavy, many including my curly head would be envious of what you have.
So after such a tumultuous experience, perhaps you will realize what you have, and be thankful for it. Just trying to keep some peace here...

BlackfootHair
April 13th, 2008, 12:08 AM
You have gorgeous hair, thick and wavy, many including my curly head would be envious of what you have.
So after such a tumultuous experience, perhaps you will realize what you have, and be thankful for it. Just trying to keep some peace here...

Awww....thank you! I feel much better when I read that....I have to say, I feel like the ugly duckling right about now...Hair wise. Even though a lot of the damage is cut out, I learned today I killed the curl with the bleach I used. I learned this because even after more deep treatments, a trim, and letting it air dry...it still dries frizzy...not curly or wavy or frizzy wavy. Much like how I'd imagine my hair to look if I had 4c hair and brushed it out after a relaxer.

Well, there's something else to look forward to in the months to come: my curl. :) Oh well...it might not look the greatest right now, but at least it feels better...dbf says it looks better than it did. I'm sure as it grows out I'll be antsy to get it trimmed up. At least bc is making my hair grow faster as well. And summer will speed things up. I bought some Bolthouse farm juices to nourish my innards. :) That will help my scalp push out some hair.

I didn't get pictures posted yet...sorry...my boyfriend and I went out and when we got back in I totally spaced it off and it's a quarter till one in the morning now...I really need to go to bed!!

Sidermom, I sure as heck hope not!!! I think I'll put a quote in my siggy when I update it...a quote from myself from an earlier post. "I only felt like "myself" with black hair when I was trying to be someone else." I'm going to focus on more of what really feels like me...like making a necklace out of green stone and blue chalcedony. Blue chalcedony is my favorite stone, after sapphire. I have some really pretty chalcedony pieces that look lovely on my necklace I made. I'll take pictures. I also wear three similar blue chalcedony bracelets I made. I love that stone because it has all these different shades of light to medium blues that blend together and look much like the sky with clouds. Very calming. I'm not one who believes in meta physiology..is that what it's called? The study of how different stones and rocks have physical powers over a person? Anyway, I was saying that I don't believe in that personally, :cheese: but just like the way they look and feel. The colors, the weight, the temperature...it's all very therapeutic. Then again, I don't know much about metaphysics...maybe that's part of it, and I don't even know! I just like them because they are pretty rocks that came from the earth. It grounds me.

Wow....sorry for the rambling...it's 1 am. I'm getting my bum to bed!!

Gaelic Girl
April 13th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Hey BFH! I've always admired both your beautiful hair and your lovely avatars. :)

I'm so sorry this has happened..but take it from someone who almost destroyed her hair 3 1/2 years ago after ditching my finance (henna diasaster), that babying it with all kinds of oils, being gentle with it, and putting it up instead of torturing yourself...it WILL grow back. Check out my profile pic and album, if you like. I just trimmed 2.5"..and there's only about 2-4" of the wreck left; barely noticeable now that it's almost all grown out.

It'll happen. Until then, try out funky updos and pretty little clips. They look so much better on shorter hair than longer and you won't be able to do them once it grows out.

Chin up, and hugs:)
GG

groque
April 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
This brings back memories. I had the same thing happen to me when I was first trying to grow out my hair. I had layers that I wanted to grow out. I told her that and I also told her just to cut an inch.

Would you f******g believe it she totally evens it out, taking off about 4". I was so mad and sick. I think I remember feeling like I was going to throw up. Live and learn.

I am glad that now I can cut my hair with that hair tutorial that shows you how to do it yourself.

Thank goodness hair grows back.;)

BlackfootHair
April 13th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I thought of something else positive last night. At least this weird haircut happened over my colored hair, and not over my virgin color.Eventually, everything on my head will be cut off when my natural grows out.Yay!

Amoretti
April 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Things only change when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain caused by the change itself.....

Time to take a deep breath and see what your real hair goals are for the next few years. Good luck!

lora410
April 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Well, I'm back from the fix. It was a different manager that was there today...but needless to say, she fixed it for me. I haven't taken any pictures yet since I'm covered with itchy hairs all over me that I need to wash off. Also, my hair is dry from the damage I did, so I'm going to do a deep treatment today too. I bought the Biosilk Fruit cocktail reconstructor treatment. It smells like bananas...I love it! I asked her to use my shampoo and conditioner, but she had umpteen reasons why she had to use hers. Oh, and of course shampoo from Walmart is filled with wax and alcohol. I held my tongue as she recommended their products. I just nodded and said, "Oh...okay..." and played dumb. Her shampoo and conditioner left my hair feeling tangled and gross. I'm not 100% positive that she rinsed all the shampoo out before she put in the conditioner either.

Whatever...the hair itself is cut presentably, most of the damage is out, it's a medium/light brown instead of black now...Now it will be easier to grow in my natural color. Next time I need a trim, I'll plan WAY ahead, and drive 1 1/2 hours to the girl who KNOWS how to do hair. She'll be worth it. Even if with gas it turns out to be a costly $50...at least I wont feel like checking every angle after I get done.

Oh, and after the retrim today I can still manage to get it in a very short funky looking pony tail. Some pieces in front want to fall forward, but that's why I bought clips last night. :) I'll post pictures after bit. I'm off for the shower now. :)

At least it looks better, feels better, I can still smell it, and it will still fit in a pony. Yes, the sun still shines. :)

Well I am glad you got it all fixed up. let this be a lesson of no damaging experiments :lol:

Lamb
April 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I can sympathize... I have gotten some truly awful haircuts at cheap and expensive salons alike during the years, my worst actually happened at Topcuts (a Canadian chain very much like Fantastic Sam). All I wanted was a little shaping up (nearly shoulder length hair). I walked out with a pixie and wished someone gave me a paper bag to put on my head.

I thought of something else positive last night. At least this weird haircut happened over my colored hair, and not over my virgin color.Eventually, everything on my head will be cut off when my natural grows out.Yay!
That's the spirit! Now just sit back and watch it grow!

spidermom
April 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I'm watching for a photo of your new 'do.

ETA: You've been fascinated by all things Indian for as long as I've been reading your posts. It might help you to identify with your natural hair color and have more pride in who and what you are if you become more familiar with who "your people" were. Celtic? Germanic? What they looked like, what they did - their achievements, what they revered, what they feared ... and so forth. It has definitely helped me develop a sense of myself by looking back at my ancestry (mostly Germanic and Scandinavian).

Katze
April 14th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Blackfoothair, I hope you are feeling better.

As one capricious, wandering, seeking soul to another...I can only empathize. How many times did I decide 'I want my hair long' to sabotage it with 'I want platinum streaks' or 'I want to be REALLY blonde, NOW!' ? Countless. Heck, when I was your age (grandma here! :D) I think my hair changed color week to week, or was cropped and shaved and spiked and bleached like a boy's.

If changing your hair all the time makes you happy, then do it. But if you want long, healthy hair, then you've learned a lesson, right?!?

Spidermom's post reminds me of something an acquaintance in the Viking scene said to me. 'If you want to really understand yourself and your connection to the ancestors, stop dyeing your hair! It's an insult to them!' Well, the guy was kind of a moron, but it made me think. Being ME, and happy about ME, is also being happy about how I look - in real life, not in a fantasy world. Yes, I looked great blonde - striking, as did you with black hair. But you are a pretty woman, and that won't change no matter WHAT you do to your hair!

FoxFire
April 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Just thought I'd commiserate with you on FS.

I talked DH into paying for highlights for my b-day the year after we got married. A girl at my work suggested FS, so I made an appointment. I totally trusted the stylist and wasn't nervous a bit. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I wanted blond HIGHLIGHTS, and instead she bleached my entire head of hair, with a few natural color highlights. And charged me $80. I dyed my hair back to my natural color once the "highlights" started growing out. I am just now getting to the end of that bad decision, 5 years later.

I think if I had it to do over again, I would have cut all the damage off once it reached my chin. That way I could grow it out with out battling damage the whole way.

Lesson learned.

BlackfootHair
April 14th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Here are some pics of the blue chalcedony necklace I made:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/Blue%20chalcedony/hairwoes112.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/Blue%20chalcedony/hairwoes111.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/Blue%20chalcedony/hairwoes109.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/Blue%20chalcedony/hairwoes108.jpg

Hair pics coming up!

BlackfootHair
April 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Okay...here are the hair pics...

Back of head:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/hair%20woes/hairwoes100.jpg

Some side shots:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/hair%20woes/hairwoes106.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/hair%20woes/hairwoes105.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/hair%20woes/hairwoes102.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/hair%20woes/hairwoes101.jpg

And some front shots.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/hair%20woes/hairwoes104.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/hair%20woes/hairwoes103.jpg

Yes...that's Captain Kirk in the background. :D

My hair looks really dark at the roots, but it still isn't black, and the majority is lighter....

I still don't think the majority of the layers look right.

Yesterday I started using my Vatika shampoo and Mane and Tail conditioner again. I read on a review here that the user thought the conditioner was too moisturizing and it made me think...my hair always felt really nice when I used the duo. So, I'm trying this again...even though I have tons of different types of shampoos I need to use. I also used my vatika oil after I showered too.

missy60
April 14th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Im so sorry your having all these problems. I have to admit looking at the pics I really dont think the layers look to even to me either. I think I would save up and go to someone you know does a better job. It will make the growing out process so much easier for you, layer that are cut right just lay much better.

Your condition is looking much better and I do think the cut got rid of most of the damage. I like the color now.

BlackfootHair
April 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thank you...yeah, it doesn't look right to me either, but it looks better than after the first hair cut at least! :) I'll probably go see my hairdresser in four weeks...that way it will allow it to grow 1/2 to 1 inch, so whatever she has to trim up won't make me feel shorter. I think part of it might be the damage too...even when my hair is wet it just hangs...no life...but then again, it should still look even...hmm...

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM
It looks better now. All it needs is some growth.

Pegasus Marsters
April 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Honey, your hair's cut just like mine only a bit shorter (mines now at shoulders at the longest, growing out from a pixie) the only difference is that I have bangs (which are now reaching the end of my nose, woohoo!)

If you still aren't happy why don't you play with your parting? I hate how my hair looks when it's centre parted, but parted to the side I think it's pretty cute! :)

Oh and so you know... I'm a compulsive hair dyer too. I'm never happy with the colour of my natural hair, and dyeing is so much fun! It makes drastic changes to my appearance very fast with minimal effort. Perfect! :)

prosperina
April 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I can see how the layers might not look right, but honestly I like it. It's cute. I had a bob (after my bob grew out a bit) like that about two years ago. It was kind of fun. Now, happy growing! :flower:

birdiefu
April 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I also like the color- don't touch it! Glad to hear you got a lot of damage off, but you can still put it back if you need to. One of the good things about wavy/wurly hair is that even with uneven layers, the hair bounces up and can camouflage that a bit. Give your hair lots of love (and periodically forget about it- works for me!), and you will be at waist before you know it.

And is that LHC I spy on your computer? :)

Pegasus Marsters
April 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Oh one more quick bit of advice. When my hair was bleached I found that eggs did wonders for the condition of it. Mix up an egg in conditioner, with some honey and a little oil. Slap that on your head, leave for an hour or two then rinse off. With cool water, or you get scrambled egg cooked into your hair XD It might not work for you but for me it was fantastic.

BlackfootHair
April 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM
One day I mixed an egg with Vatika oil and left it on my head for an hour...it did help, but I think my head needs moisture more than anything right now..

And yes, that's LHC you spy! :)

BrianaFineHair
April 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM
You know, your hair acutally looks a lot more healthy than in the previous signiture picture.

Don't do anything else to it now but loving tender care (coconut oil / olive oil treatments, air drying, and just let your lovely hair grow.)

Loviatar
April 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Blackfoothair, I am sorry your cut didnt turn out how you wanted. I can only echo Spidermom and Ole Gray Mare on this. When I was umming and ahhing about cutting and colour and goodness knows what, Spidermom said: Step away from the mirror! Put your hair up and forget about it. From then on I looked in the mirror only when I measured monthly. I learned to put my hair in a bun without using a mirror and secured it with a Ficcare. I must have done that style day after day, every day for at least four or five months. I took it down, fingercombed and braided for bed. Nothing fancy.

I'm surprised now when I look at my pictures. It may only be an inch but 21 to 22 inches seems a huge amount of growth.

Your growth will come. It is good that the cut took off your damage and old colour. It's also great that your hair will go back into a pony. Stick to ponies until it's long enough to braid; stick to braids until it's long enough to bun. Then bun it and keep it bunned as long as you can. Don't measure, don't cut, don't colour!

You might want to stick your goal in your sig, too. "Virgin waist length natural coloured hair" or something. I keep certain pictures in a file whenever I feel blue about my hair, it really helps me.

HTH.

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Oh yes - what loviatar said. It really helps me to get my hair up and out of the way, then get on with other things. The more I look at my hair and think about it, the more critical I become.

PseudoScot
April 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
blackfoothair, you are absolutely a turnabout. If you do decide to grow/dye/whatever with your hair, all LHC members are here in support. The only reason for any capricious responses is because you seem to be more reckless and spontaneous in your choices (life or hair related) and choose to use the board to your advantage, as in hysterics and drama, rather than as a "Support Board" , which means We all Support One Another through our happiness and problems..
Personally, I enjoy your spontaneity, as it is also my nature. Although not my hair or life choices, in that respect.
Seriously though, I am happy if you felt the need to get rid of damage. I have just cut the last bit of damage out of my hair, from pre LHC, and it is the same length when I joined. Maybe you need to take a step back and figure out where you want to be, hairwise. You have gorgeous hair, thick and wavy, many including my curly head would be envious of what you have.

From reading your posts since you've been a member here at LHC, I'm not sure that waist length natural colored hair is your actual goal. Like AutumnLeaves, I recommend that you just cut it all off right now and start over. It seems that the more that you do stuff to your hair, the unhappier you are with it. Maybe it's time to just leave it alone and let it grow.

Maybe next time, you can spend your money on a stylist who is a bit more expensive, but not straight out of cosmetology school, rather than purchase a bunch of products to console yourself for the bad haircut you just got.

I agree with these ladies!

BFH, I am glad you got your hair sorted and you are happier with it. Now put it back and ignore it. :) It's not going to grow out if you keep changing it.

Maybe it's worth examining why you sometimes decide to do drastic things to your hair - are they emotionally triggered? Some eat, some cry, some cut their hair.

I think - in my honest opinion and I mean this kindly - you need to find out what it is you really want [in life and in hair] as some have suggested here. And take these suggestions seriously, don't just glance over them. We are trying to help you with your various hair issues but while LHC is a great resource and can help as damage-control, you need to settle on something so you can stop damaging/sabotaging your own progress. It's also OK if you decide you don't want long hair.

Just my 2 cents, but girl - make a plan, stick to it, and remember the 2 week rule. It'll save you a lot of panicking and heartache.

[Also remember that sometimes it takes hair a few days to settle in with a product so bouncing around all the time may not give you a real result].

tiny_teesha
April 29th, 2008, 07:38 AM
BlackFootHair -I've been following your threads for ages....and i can relate to you. I'd just like to mention quite a few people have been a bit bossy. The end of the matter is that it is YOUR hair, you do as you wish!
I actually think your new hair cut is cute.
If you look at my albums you will see all the hair dye i did to change my hair colour for a few compliments. I was chooseing a new colour every month or so (even once a week for a bit)- then as i continues to colour the compliments vanished as did the "life" of my hair.
So i guess you sort of need to think of what you want. I doubt there is any way you can maintain waist length HEALTHY hair if it it constantly dyed many colours with chemical means. But if you want a change in colour often...then maybe a shorter do is for you?
Perhaps...you can bleach one stripe and then you can use temporary vegie dies to change the colour of that stripe every week or month...that way you still have change. You can play around with different styles, do's, bangs, hats, head bands and hair toys...etc.
But if you truely, deep down want virgin waist length hair you should write yourself now a very determined letter, and every time you are about to do something to jepardise it...read it. It helps to keep all those things that tempt you away.
After i totally fried my hair and actually started getting hair insults i decided i would NEVER use chemical dye on my hair. I began with henna to "heal" some damage...it improved. but it still looks sad 3 years later (at WAIST!!!! :) )
So i guess... you just need to evaluate, if you like,what you truely want- and stick to it.
I will reach 100% virgin hair in another 4 years.......It makes me sad that i ruined my hair in the first place- it was very soft and shiney...and now it is just sad looking :( . I learnt my lesson!!!

suuzq35
April 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, ya know, now you know why she works at Fantastic Sam's. You get what you pay for.

I don't work for Fantastic sams ..but in the same category.. My work place does Wonderful work and we take our time with the customers.. please don't diss... "what you get for what you pay for".. in this economy we try to do good work at a decent price. I take my job seriously.

plainjanegirl
December 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I was just wondering if you are still using the profectiv? Has it helped any with growth or thickness? I ran into some of this profectiv root stimulator stuff on the walgreens website and thought about looking for it but didn't know if it was worth the money.

suicides_eve
December 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
oh wow that sucks, i think we've all been through something like that.. i know i have. I feel for ya.

suicides_eve
December 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
wow i just noticed the date on this thread lol.... shows how much i pay attention to things

yogachic
December 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM
My solution, stop trimming your hair, if your trying to grow it out, just let it grow. The last thing I would do if I didn't like the cut, is let someone else start chopping away on it too. You'll end up with an even worse, shorter cut. I hope your hair grows out fast for you, so you can put that bad cut behind you.
Oh, this is an old thread. LOL I never noticed either.

BlackfootHair
December 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
hahahah it's okay. :) Since then I've managed to regain a healthy head of hair, mostly natural with henna, and have trimmed the majority of damage out. I'm currently getting 1/4in a week, I'm measuring every week to see if bc intervals have something to do with growth. I've also started a better vitamin regimine. I'm very happy that the patch of black is out of my hair that I missed with bleach. :) hehehe

BlackfootHair
December 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
I was just wondering if you are still using the profectiv? Has it helped any with growth or thickness? I ran into some of this profectiv root stimulator stuff on the walgreens website and thought about looking for it but didn't know if it was worth the money.

I don't use it everyday, I've barely used it at all. :o I have smeared a great deal of it in my hair before washing and it made it feel nice. I have so many leave-ins I just use whatever seems like the winner for the day. :)