PDA

View Full Version : No conditioner experiment

CestMadeleine
July 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'm starting to wash my hair with baby shampoo and use no conditioners anymore. Just a little oil and aloe gel as leave in.

So far my hair feels stronger, wavier and has more volume. Conditioner always made my hair feel weak and limp.

Has anyone else tried/is doing this? What are your thoughts or results? Did you experience more damage in the long end?

SHELIAANN1969
July 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I tried it, and for me personally, it was a very bad decision. It works for some and not for others, you just have to see if it works for you. Keep us updated, I always like to hear what works and what doesn't for folks. :flower:

wintersun99
July 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM

CestMadeleine
July 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I would not consider using baby shampoo though, that seems incredibly harsh.

Hmm, I always thought it would be more gentle since it's for babies.

Fractalsofhair
July 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Baby shampoo may be more gentle on the skin, but on hair it is very alkaline and will cause damage. (Similar to shampoo bars, but without the oil and vinegar rinse)It's very gentle for skin though, hence the use on babies, plus it won't irritate their eyes. Babies don't care how their hair looks. I can't go without conditioner as I have a very dry skin and scalp situation, which requires heavy oiling and tons of conditioner.

Laylah
July 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
When I was a preteen I did this and ruined my hair, despite the fact that I was oiling my hair at the time. Then again, I wasn't using baby shampoo and my hair is very thick/wavy already, so I def experienced more damage at the end. I know some people who do shampoo only and are happy with it, but they have short, straight hair.

Good luck with your experiment though- hope it works for you!

VanillaTresses
July 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I was doing this for a while, but now that I have started coloring my hair I have had to stop and re-evaluate my routine. On non-colored hair it was working pretty well. On colored hair it left the ends feeling a little crunchy. (Ah, I know... that sounds bad!) :o

Roseate
July 14th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Yup, baby shampoo is super alkaline and drying. I'd pick another type of shampoo if you want to try to go without conditioner.

Many people here have had success with catnip tea instead of conditioner, you might want to give that a try if shampoo alone doesn't work out. Here's the thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476)

I went without conditioner for about 6 months when I was washing with baking soda and using an ACV rinse afterwards. This was before LHC, and while my scalp loved it, my ends did not. They want as much conditioner as they can get, and then some.

jivete
July 14th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I sort of thought about doing this since it seemed I was getting conditioner build-up. I'm rethinking it. Maybe because I can't seem to oil suffiently without over oiling, but my plan at this point is to only use my conditioner as a rinse out and not a leave in and use oils if I need extra slip after washing. But I'm early on the experiment.

Amara
July 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I hardly ever use conditioner. I use shampoo bars, and an ACV rinse, or sometimes a shampoo wash on scalp only with the rest of my hair staying completely dry. I only use conditioner as a once a month or so soak, or to get a heavy oiling out.

ETA: I have a teensy bit of conditioner in my spritz bottle... but I don't use that every day...

nowxisxforever
July 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I generally don't use conditioner, and haven't for a while.

I use oils instead. It works fine-- I don't *need* to use conditioner, with my oils.

MoonCreature
July 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I did this for some years when I was a teen and didn't care about the condition of my hair. I used 'poos that were heavy on silicone and it didn't do good to my hair (I detangled by ripping a brush trough it and trimmed away the damage 5 inches at a time). Right now I'm paying back for this since the ends of my hair is still from this period, and they are not in such a good shape.
Now that I'm cone-free there's not even a distant thought about going without conditioner, my hair would form a big rasta :p

BroknRechord
July 15th, 2009, 12:08 AM
My best friend for ages is a cosmetologist (hence the haircuts slowing down my growth.... just so tempting and oh so fresh!) and works with her aunt who started the company Little Sprout, which is essentially the most natural and gentle formula that professionals will use (they're very result driven!). Being professional grade, it is a nice balance between being gentle and also being effective. I personally like it, and I don't condition anymore, though I also only wash the scalp and let the suds do a rinse though the length, so I retain a decent amount of my oil and I do ACV to condition. They also make a detangler that works wonders for conditioning that is light, doesn't grease me up (which is easy to do) or weight me down, though I'm pretty sure it has cones.

Elainehali
July 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Inteteresting you're doing essentially the opposite of my routine. Are you generally an oily person or a dry person?

I tend more toward the dry side, and it takes a few days for any oil to be noticable. This is why CO works for me I think.

When I was maybe 15 I used baby shampoo thinking it was going to be more gentile. However I started getting bad tangles. You may want to watch out for those. Baby shampoo throws off the hairs pH, which is naturally acidic.

redneckprincess
July 15th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I dont think baby shampoo is good for your hair (unless your a baby...or trying to remove some color) but I could be wrong....I know for me its VERY harsh on my hair and no amount of condit. smooths the hair till I wash with a diffrent shampoo

blondecat
July 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM
My very dry hair and scalp does need conditioner. Unfortunately for my wallet/pursestrings :(

CestMadeleine
July 16th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Inteteresting you're doing essentially the opposite of my routine. Are you generally an oily person or a dry person?

I tend more toward the dry side, and it takes a few days for any oil to be noticable. This is why CO works for me I think.

When I was maybe 15 I used baby shampoo thinking it was going to be more gentile. However I started getting bad tangles. You may want to watch out for those. Baby shampoo throws off the hairs pH, which is naturally acidic.

I'm an oily person. I have to wash everyday because my hair gets greasy easy. That's why CO never worked on me haha.

I'm rethinking baby shampoo now, thanks you guys. I decided to take a look at the ingredients and saw there were sulphates. I didn't think it would be harsh since it's made for babies.

For now I think I'll just do scalp washes instead of the full hair. And do ACV rinses once a week to restore some of the acidity.

What are some gentle shampoos I could use?

templeofvenus
July 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Naked range of shampoos are sulfate and paraben free you can buy them in the uk not sure about canade but maybe you can order them online.