PDA

View Full Version : psoriasis

Dez
July 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I know someone with psoriasis on their head. This person uses cream that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and sometimes it's so bad it just stings when the cream is put on and sometimes bleeds. This person has about bottom of shoulder blade length hair.

Any kind of shampoo less, or herb or cream suggestions to help with this?

Euphony
July 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I've heard that pine tar soap helps. My FIL has severe psoriasis and pine tar soap is the only thing he uses anymore.

Has your friend been to see the doctor? Psoriasis is an over-regeneration of cells, not only on the skin but on the inside as well, it is outwardly recognized as psoriasis. This could be affecting organs. She can get oral prescriptions that can help slow/stop the psoriasis as well as topical prescriptions.

swanns
July 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I go through pretty bad periods of excessive dandruff and flaky scalp issues, I saw a dermatologist for it when I was younger and he suspeced it might be psoriasis of the scalp. My half-brother has 'normal' psoriasis so that might just be it. It's funny how it comes and goes in phases, sometimes I may go for months with almost no dandruff at all, and then there are times when I need to check my shoulders every time I've touched my head. It's very greasy, kind of lumpy kind of dandruff. I haven't yet found out what causes it to appear, I haven't changed any haircare products as of late but feel like I'm entering one of those dandruffy phases again, sigh.

Like Euphony said, I've also heard that pine tar soap supposedly helps. I've also had shampoos made of nettle and tea tree oil that are supposed to help with flaky scalp.

This probably wasn't of much help, just felt like blathering on about myself, lol.

Natalia
July 14th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Asde from the medications (which i know nothing about) ive heard good things abotu pine tar soap, baking soda/conditioner paste, and vinager rises left on for to minutes or so. I cant think of anything else right now but i will come back if i do :).

Othala
July 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Has you friend had a medical diagnosis? There are things that look like psoriasis but are not.

If it is definitely psoriasis then I recommend daily cleansing with a gel containing Salicylic acid (Neutrogenga do an acne wash that is very good) combined with UV light treatment.

Fractalsofhair
July 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I have a cracky peely scalp due to dry skin. Shampoo bars often help many people with allergies, and oiling may help with the dryness, if it's not true psoriasis. Gentle shampoo will likely help it, along with heavy moisturizers.

Dez
July 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
i think it's true psoriasis. I'm pretty sure his cream is prescription. thanks for all the suggestions!

Moonstruck
July 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Vinegar rinses are simple and easy to do, and may help a little bit. It'll sting if it comes into contact with broken skin, but perhaps it'll have some conditioning/beneficial effects while the scalp is fine.