PDA

View Full Version : I'm pretty pround of myself

fae
July 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
My rope braid's have been getting better and better.

I finally made a rope braid bun today that looks like some of the beautiful rope braid buns around here.

I'm stepping out the door to go to work..but I will post both the one I made today and one a did a while ago that just looked heaped up on my head in my blog.

:cheese:

thankyousir74
July 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah lol, no pictures, it didn't happen ;)

And a note to your sig, I feel like a threadkiller sometimes too, it happens to all of us :bunny:

ETA: hee, I'll be sure to check out your blog then, the awesome art of the rope braid has managed to elude me.

fae
July 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM
you know, rope braid was just a killer for me...i read all the instructions and watched all the videos and just couldn't get the hang of it.

Then one day I flipped my hair upside down in a pony and did it that way. And viola...it came out wonderfully.

Give it a try..it can't hurt.

*trying* to upload pics...phone isn't cooperating

embee
July 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I've never done a rope braid *bun* but I did make rope braid for a while, it sure is pretty, but my hair/braid gets so darn fuzzy.

Looking forward to seeing pictures: if there's no pics, it didn't happen, they say! ;)

fae
July 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Heehee

I got the pics up. They are in my album....the one with me in scrubs is the one from today.

I like the sophistication of rope braids. Such a simple concept and yet it looks so stunningly gorgeous....

Rentlle
July 15th, 2009, 05:24 AM
wow
i like it A LOT :)

plainjanegirl
July 15th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Good for you !
I'll have to check out the pics when I get home today.
I had a hard time learning the rope braid, but finally did after watching a youtube video over and over.

Addy
July 15th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I've never done a rope braid *bun* but I did make rope braid for a while, it sure is pretty, but my hair/braid gets so darn fuzzy.

My hair does this too so I oil mine with EVOO and it helps keep all those fuzzies where they're suppose to be, IN THE BRAID! If not, I'd have fuzz everywhere! I find it helps keep my style longer, whether it's a braid or a rope braid. It also adds magnificent shine! :D Hope this helps. :)

I have a pic of several rope braids in a ponytail in my album. I've gotten tons of compliments on it. The shine is from EVOO and it held all day. :eyebrows:

fae, I'm lovin the rope bun! :cool: My hair is not long enough to get all that big bun you got going on there. *jealous*

Fencai
July 15th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Good for you! it always feels good to accomplish something that's been plaguing you!
Now... where are those pics!?

Sheltie_Momma
July 15th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Oooh, this is my favorite wish-I-could-do-it style right now! Yours is sooo pretty! Big congrats!

Maybe you or someone here can give me some advice on this style? I can rope braid and I can coil it up with a million good hair day pins, but I can't get the ends to tuck under nicely. All the videos and instruction say "tuck in the ends", on me this is like saying tuck in a broom, my ends are a big splaying chunk that do not want to tuck.

I also have trouble with the very center. I use a secured pony tail, and my hair is thick so that secured tail at the top sticks way out from my head and gaps, I can't get it to lay to the right or left flat enough to look nice. It helps somewhat to use two rope braids instead of one, but even then I end up with the centers being gapped. Any suggestions?

Thank you & again, your bun is so nice!

fae
July 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Sheltie Momma

Ends. Mine do that alot in styles too. Where they like to stick out. When I can get them to tuck right, I keep twisting to the very bottom of my ends. In this particular bun, I have a hair friendly elastic about 4-6'' about my ends. Maybe even a little less. So as i coil, I keep twisting to get the rope braid tighter and then when I tuck the ends, I twist, twist, twist. Does that help?

Also, when I coil this braid, I have to coil it going counter clockwise. I think it has to do with the way I twist it to make the rope braid tighter. I normal twist clockwise, so this is a tricky point for me. But it seems to help me avoid the "bulge" from the base and get the flower look in the middle.

I hope that made some kind of sense. I am directionally challenged on the best of days.

ETA: It seems to me that ends like to stick out more on the styles where my hair comes up shorter than the person doing the style. For instance: On the celtic bun, my ends will stick out like a sore thumb because my hair just isn't as long as cinnamonhair's.
I really feel like my words aren't coming out right at all.

ericthegreat
July 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I just came back from your photo album. I think you did a great job on the rope braided bun. The more and more you practice braiding and the more you practice holding your hair in the right positions with the right amount of tension, the better your updos will be. :)

Sheltie_Momma
July 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Sheltie Momma

Ends. Mine do that alot in styles too. Where they like to stick out. When I can get them to tuck right, I keep twisting to the very bottom of my ends. In this particular bun, I have a hair friendly elastic about 4-6'' about my ends. Maybe even a little less. So as i coil, I keep twisting to get the rope braid tighter and then when I tuck the ends, I twist, twist, twist. Does that help?

Also, when I coil this braid, I have to coil it going counter clockwise. I think it has to do with the way I twist it to make the rope braid tighter. I normal twist clockwise, so this is a tricky point for me. But it seems to help me avoid the "bulge" from the base and get the flower look in the middle.

I hope that made some kind of sense. I am directionally challenged on the best of days.

ETA: It seems to me that ends like to stick out more on the styles where my hair comes up shorter than the person doing the style. For instance: On the celtic bun, my ends will stick out like a sore thumb because my hair just isn't as long as cinnamonhair's.
I really feel like my words aren't coming out right at all.

fae, you totally make sense and this is very helpful, I will try more twisting and also just being patient with trying new styles that thicker hair must be longer to do.

patience
July 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Very nice.....and BIG bun you have there. :thumbsup:

fae
July 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
fae, you totally make sense and this is very helpful, I will try more twisting and also just being patient with trying new styles that thicker hair must be longer to do.

Cool. I was worried.

fae
July 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Very nice.....and BIG bun you have there. :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly.