PDA

View Full Version : A question about cones...?

Gigi1962
July 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have been reading a lot about going cone free, and just need to get this straight in my head. :confused:

Are all cones bad for all hair, and should everyone be trying to go cone free - or is it good for some hair types/lengths and not for others?

I actually don't know if my products contain cones, or not (I guess I will have to have a good look at the ingredients), so should I just continue with what I am using at it seems to be working ok on my hair?

templeofvenus
July 14th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I do think its a question of what works for the individual. I am thinking of going cone free though as I have fine hair and I think cones may weigh it down and make it look more fine, so I am goijng to give it a try. From what I can gather anything like dimethicone or anodimethicone and ingredients ending in xane are cone related! There is a lot of info on threads here about this.

xx

ButterCup02
July 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Some people like cones, and some don't :) You just have to experiment to find what your hair likes. Most people who CO don't use cones, as they can build up. I *think* if you CO with cones you will need to shampoo from time to time ? Not sure, I don't use cones myself.

Fractalsofhair
July 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Well going cone free is helpful to see if your hair likes cones. Cones are VERY good at making damage hair look healthy on some hair types. On my very fine, dry hair, cones aren't too good at anything but drying it out. If you use cones, you will need to clarify once in a while, and shampoo occasionally if you CO wash.

redcelticcurls
July 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I avoid most 'cones not because of the cones per se, but because of what surfactants are required to remove some of them.

I'd use one if it were water soluble (I have a gel with a PEG modified cone that I like) or was one that could be removed with a Low-Poo type of cleanser.

But, as other posters said, it is very trial and error. I'm not sure how it works for all hair types, but I have seen it take a good month of adjusting in curlies and wavies to see benefits kick in.

Elainehali
July 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I use cones. They are in my detangling spray. I believe the damage they help me avoid is worth the build up that needs to be removed from time to time.

ReddishRocks
July 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I avoid most 'cones not because of the cones per se, but because of what surfactants are required to remove some of them.

I'd use one if it were water soluble (I have a gel with a PEG modified cone that I like) or was one that could be removed with a Low-Poo type of cleanser.

But, as other posters said, it is very trial and error. I'm not sure how it works for all hair types, but I have seen it take a good month of adjusting in curlies and wavies to see benefits kick in.

I totally agree. :) I use a PEG-modified 'cone occasionally as well, and it gives me no trouble. Even if you want to continue to use silicones, shampoos with coco-betaine and similar surfactants instead of sulfates will still remove the silicone buildup but more gently. :)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones

gmdiaz
July 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Well, my hair is curlier and shinier without cones. . .and because I don't have the cones coating my hair, when I apply oils they actually penetrate the hair shaft.

But it did take me about a month to get to this point and I don't think I am totally adjusted yet.

What I noticed about cones is that it does lock moisture in but it also blocks moisture from GETTING in. .so you can get really dry hair from using them. I think those that do use and like them, just clarify shampoo every so often and deep condition. It's the cones in combination with the harsh cleansers in most shampoos that has really dried out my hair. That's why I went cone free. Dry hair mucks up my wurly curls.

Another aspect to keep in mind is that the cones can make make your hair look healthier than it is. . .so that if you quit using them, any damage at all really shows up. You might start noticing a bunch of split ends you've never seen before. But if your hair is really healthy, then that shows up too! Takes some time though. And that transition period isn't all that nice.

I've heard a lot of really good things about Aubrey Organic shampoos and conditioners. . .maybe start with those, if you're interested in going cone free?

Elphie
July 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM
There's no need to switch if what your using for your hair makes you happy and it's working for you. Personally, I'm cone free, but I was cone free without even realizing it. I just happened to be using products that didn't contain cones and knew they worked better for my hair without knowing why they did.

bigdreamer
July 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I used to be a big curling iron user, that's how I have the waves in my avatar.

But since going cone-free and curling iron free about a month ago, I can see the demarcation in my hair from new crown growth, and to about 2 inches down thereafter it's complete damaged frizz on the outer layer (which I used to iron into nice waves) but which I never knew was in such bad shape because the cone stuff had sealed it down as I styled it everyday.

So I found that damage was hidden by cones so now I'm resolved to just let the damage grow out, and then I think cones could be quite useful again on healthy hair in terms of keeping it sleek looking and managable. But they were definitely hiding bad stuff from me and it was just a bad cycle because I would just keep using my iron to smooth it down, and on and on.

I'm much happier w/o them tho, really. I didn't know anything about it before

CestMadeleine
July 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I actually found that cones were better for me than not. I do usually give my hair a break now and again but all my life I've used pantene or similar products and my hair was always healthy and shiny. I never had split ends until I stopped using them. I find non-cone conditioners make my hair feel weak and prone to breakage.

But there are stories of other people's hair that say otherwise, so, like everyone else is saying you do what works for your hair. If cones are making your hair feel nice then stick with them. If cone free conditioners work better then use that. It's all up to you and what your hair likes.

Have fun experimenting :)

Fractalsofhair
July 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Agreed, but cones do mask damage, which can be a problem for people. If you're generally taking good care of your hair, then cones are fine if they work for your hair. They wreak my hair, and some people end up with wreaked hair without cones! Cones can build up, but they are wonderful at adding shine and masking damage, which is perfect for most people who shampoo whenever they condition!

Laylah
July 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I've tried going without cones before for a few months but it made my hair frizzy and poofy. My hair seems to like cones and I haven't had any resulting damage from it. I CO without cones during the week and on the weekend I S&C with cones, which works well for me. Unfortunately there's no one way to determine how cones will affect your hair so it's best to try it out and hope for the best.

juliaxena
July 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Hmm I have to say this. ALL conditioners mask damage or unmanageble hair. I should know, I used both cone free or cone ones in the past. So whatever works for you is fine-as long as you don't get an ingredient buildup that starts wrecking stuff. MHO.

Amara
July 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I am cone free without having realized it, then I just kept it up since it seemed to be working. The main thing is cones sort of seal your hair - so they can seal moisture in but also keep it out, and cover up damage. I need all the moisture I can get and I want to know where the damage lurks, so cone free works for me.