PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever cut your hair “short” since finding TLHC?

Elizabeth
April 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I just wondered how many people have cut their hair short after finding TLHC? I know when I first joined I struggled with severely damaged hair and tried to nurse it along for about a year before I decided to cut it to my chin (it had gotten to just short of BSL) and begin again. It took me another 6 months of growing and cutting until I could begin really growing it out again. It was a difficult choice, but ultimately the right one for me.

What have your experiences been?

Nat242
April 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Nope! I wore a pixie cut for a long time, and now my hair is the longest it's ever been. I don't even trim - just S&D.

When I reach hip length, I'll maintain there and trim to get rid of a few damaged inches, and while I decide if I want to shoot for tailbone.

-- Natalie

AshleyP
April 11th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Yes, I joined mid 2005... I cut my hair mid 2006.. and again about mid 2007. LOL. Summer time seems to be about the time I give myself a good chop. :shrug: I can't seem to get past BSL. Hah. It doesn't help that I occasionally straighten it, so I get splits. Oopsie.

socks
April 12th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Cut? Hair? *shudder* Never!

nayver
April 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I found LHC one year ago, but I was too lazy I didn't post anything, my English is not the best and I forgot about the forum... I got a chin cut last January after a bad layers cut and I regret it one month after...Thanks God I remember LHC exists and now I have the inspiration to keep it growing and mantain it long and healthy...

lora410
April 12th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Nope, not me the most cut I had was 1/4" :lol:

amaiaisabella
April 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Nope! Just S&D but I've only officially been a member for a month (lurking for a few months more)

My goal is not to trim until February, when it will be a full year since the last trim.

Hayat
April 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, I have...

I joined about a year ago (March 2007, wasn't it?), and struggeled for a year with my hair. Some really good periods, and some awful ones. About a month ago I decided to get it cut, 'cause I just could not take it anymore... Used to be about BSL, and now I'm chin-lenght. Just decided to kind of start all over.

Nice to hear that others have good experience with starting over, though :)

Newniepg
April 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I cut my hair because of the LHC. I saw how healthy other peoples hair was and wanted in! My hair was slightly past bra strap, but in HORRIBLE condition. So I am starting again. I will one day hopefully rejoin the exalted ranks of long hairiness!

ok. that sounded better in my head.

Medvssa
April 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, after yet another episode of heavy shedding (a particuarly bad one casued by anaemia forced me to shave my head years ago) So I voted: Yes, needed to because of quality issues.
It was only about BSL, and it got so, so thin.... I cut it at shoulder lenght or so, also getting rid of almost all of the henna. I have been taking vitamins daily and this has stopped the shedding periods for me.

I don't regret it, although it annoyed me very much to have to do it.

prosperina
April 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Nope! If anything, I've become to fixated on healthy long hair. I need to loosen up and allow myself to get a trim (it needs a little one), but the idea seems very difficult to me.

AJoifulNoise
April 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Nope. But, I had already decided never to cut my hair again before I found the LHC. I'm just glad I found it so that I can take good care of my hair!

jojo
April 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
no not me, i intend to try and last until next February when i shall cut an inch or so off to tidy up ends.

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Short is such a relative term. There are folks here who might feel like they had a pixie if they suddenly cut to my length of BSL with layers.

I haven't had anything shorter than shoulder in over 20 years, and I won't again unless I get sick and it goes on its own.

MadHatter
April 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I voted no way! I've wanted my hair to be long since I was a little girl, and now that it's long I'm not about to cut it (it took such time and patience)!
The only thing I've done is cut off damage.

yogachic
April 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I Joined LHC in April 2007, but I just didn't get real interested in it Until October 2007, from then on I was hooked. I had cut my hair from BSL to top of shoulders in june '07, because I was so hot in the summer weather.

Pegasus Marsters
April 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yes... it looked awesome. It's gone through awkward stages and awesome stages all through the time i've been growing it (I cant afford to see a hairdresser every few weeks to keep it short and I have mad skillz at hair growth. I can grow like an inch a month!)

Vela
April 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Only a half inch, and that was because the splits were starting to travel up.
I've been here since Nov.07 I believe, so ruffly 6 months, and its gone from hip brushing TB to brushing my wrist.(about Mid-bum.)
So nope, no major chopage!

BrianaFineHair
April 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I joined with a chin length bob just this past March. The LHC has been a wonderful source of information in taking care of my hair, and a source of inspiration in growing out the long hair I've always dreamed of. :) I'm going for BSL first and then waist length as a stopping point at which time I will maintain with only snipping off damaged ends.

Starr
April 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Yes... it looked awesome. It's gone through awkward stages and awesome stages all through the time i've been growing it (I cant afford to see a hairdresser every few weeks to keep it short and I have mad skillz at hair growth. I can grow like an inch a month!)

An inch a month! I wish!

You're right, the short hair was cute on you. But from I can remember the long hair just as gorgeous- and super thick too!

I haven't bothered to even trim in the last 3 years, let alone cutting. It's to freaking expensive to go to the salon to get it cut and since nobody knows how to cut my hair right anyways, what's the point? I'm not going to pay someone to make me look stupid. :p

Nyght
April 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, I cut my quite short after my daughter was born. I was having quality issues after years of fertility drugs and after she was born I was shedding like crazy. Since I was breastfeeding I had to stop some medication which caused even more havoc with my hair. I've kept it short for the last couple of years out of habit and because all of my attention has been focused on my little girl. I hate my hair, though. In my mind, I see myself with long hair - it's my identity. I miss it so much and I hope to get it back.

The only positive is that my hair is all virgin again. Lots of gray, but I'm OK with that!

wintersun99
April 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I voted yes, two big chops due to severe damage - one in Oct 07 and one in Apr 08 (I am now at 16") however, I tried babying my hair for nearly 5 months and just couldn't salvage it from bleach and peroxide damage. I chose to cut back to (mostly healthy) and start anew.

chrissy-b
April 13th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Yep. I joined in Sept 2007 and I cut about 8 inches off in January in an attempt to get rid of as much damage as I could without shaving my head bald. But now that I've got a good routine down, I don't plan on cutting again unless I absolutely have to (minus the yearly trim and S&D's).

Lirazel
April 14th, 2008, 05:56 AM
No, the largest haircut was 2 inches and I wasn't happy with that. I prefer doing small self-trims.

harley mama
April 14th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I voted NO. But, I wouldn't go so far as to as I'd never cut short again.
We never know what the future will bring. I love my hair long and don't
plan on cutting it off. But, life happens. So, I will not use the word never!

ladystar
April 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Nope I won't do it. Just growing long and proud. :cheese:

Liluri
April 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Where's the no, but I'm not ruling it out for the future button? :) Never say never!

Zindell
April 14th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I cut my hair into a long bob last fall to get it all one length. *see pics*

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Yes. I joined in June 2005. When I was nearly at waist but fighting with Velcro ends every single day, I had it cut back to APL in October 2005 (about 5 inches). I regretted it for a couple of days, but I got over that and kept growing with only minor trims until last month. It may have been my activities of last summer; I once again had endless splits and Velcro ends. So I cut back 3-4 inches. No regret this time.

AquaViolet1973
April 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I just wondered how many people have cut their hair short after finding TLHC?

Not me. I've kept my already long hair since joining LHC over 3 years ago. I have no plans to cut it. I am growing it longer, to tailbone length.

Lamb
April 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I had to cut off the winter's progress recently. All the mistakes I made (trying too many things, excessive combing, not wearing a cap/shawl in the cold wind etc.) showed in my hair. So now I have the same length I had in October, minus the layers which is a bonus (well, if I ignore the triangle effect). Now, on to shoulders by December, but this time with unstressed, healthy hair!

thunderlilies
April 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I've only trimmed it many times - to keep the ends blunt and healthy. No big cuts, however :) And I plan to keep it that way! Lol.

WritingPrincess
April 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I was wondering how many people chopped their hair after joining TLHC. I'm defining a chop as more than 6 inches. Thanks!

Poolsoflaughter
April 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I chopped to remove fried/ bleached sections of hair... so now, finally, I feel that I can let it grow and not trim for a while! ;)

birthmarkie
April 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
No way. I barely had 6 inches, period, it felt like. I haven't cut at all except for S&D. I also chose the cheese extension option.

Cinnamon Hair
April 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I chopped around 7+ inches when I first joined because my ends looked horrible. Before that I hadn't even trimmed my hair in years (no reason, just didn't like salons). Unless your hair looks so bad that you're ashamed to wear it down I would just do small trims of 2" or less periodically until it is at a length and quality you are happy with.

Sidani
April 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I chose "Other" because I had to have 2 back surgeries in 2006 and chopped 12" off the length to make it more manageable during that time. I had to wear a back brace all the time and it was tough enough with the hair I had left after the chop. Nice poll, WritingPrincess!

Riot Crrl
April 27th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I haven't cut at all yet, but I only joined less than a month ago :)

I do plan to continue regular trims for the forseeable future. Some of them may even be a couple inches :o

I have a weird attitude about haircuts. I hate going to the salon because of the COMBING and other handling. So I barely ever go, and when I do, I feel like I want to get... not even my money's worth. My combing's and shampooing's worth, LOL.

Alaskanheart
April 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Not yet just s&d, Im trying to wait a year before I get a real haircut, and then I plan to chop maybe 2 inches or so.

Nat242
April 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I haven't cut, but I S&D pretty frequently, so I selected "other". I've worn very short hair most of my life, if I cut off all my damage now, I'd be afraid I'd give up. It's more encouraging to have my hair still feel long-ish.

I am growing out damage, but I'm trying to get my hair to a length that I'm reasonably happy with (like hip), and then I'll start trimming off half or more of my growth each month, until all the old, dyed and heat-styled hair is gone.

-- Natalie

Juli414
April 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
My last cut & dye job was in August, I joined here in January. I'm hoping to go until my demarcation is about BSL, then cut off the whole dyed-and-permed, layered mess in one swell foop. Or I may cut off part of it every now and then. Who knows.

jesamyn
April 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I answered other.

I went to get a trim shortly after joining so that my layers would be all neat for vacation. She took off 2" or 2.5" instead, which is a decent amount when I only had 19" at the time. It knocked me from almost APL to barely shoulder-length and sure did feel like a chop! I would have been less annoyed if it had at least been damaged, but it wasn't.

Oh well. It'll grow.

wintersun99
April 27th, 2008, 09:26 PM
another:
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2929

Nyght
April 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I reached about 30" after joining TLHC. But after my daughter was born I was losing so much hair that I was terrified strands would get wrapped around her teeny fingers or toes. I was also having some hormone issues so I chopped it. I've kept it short for a couple of years now and HATE it so I am growing it out again. I miss my braids - it was the easiest way to wear my hair and I loved how I looked. Oh well...

blackfrostqueen
April 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I picked "other" cause I chopped bangs/fringe into my hair and two inches off the end cause they were really split and fried.

Requiax
April 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I picked both yes answers because I made a mad choice to chop while I was shopping one day. The layers I had made a decent updo impossible, and my hair was irritating me that day. So I went from almost tailbone to BSL. Oops. I'm in the process of regrowing it.

Medievalhair
April 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I went to my hairdresser and got 13 in. cut off because of damage and wanting to get rid of my bangs as well. Now it's only trims at my hairdresser.

Gumball
April 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I haven't cut my hair since joining. Actually I haven't cut since a while before that. I really am due for a trim at some point in the future. Haha. When that is as of yet is unknown.

Saranne772
April 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I but chopped to remove damage. Was about 6-7 inches in sept!

Xanthippe
April 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
another:
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2929

That's not really the same question. I answered yes to this poll because I cut a lot off right after I joined, back to just below BSL if I remember correctly. I wouldn't say it was short though, but it was a "big chop."

darl_in1
April 28th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Yep. My hair was about waist/hip when I joined LHC and I grew it to about 1/2 inches short of classic.

I have very thick hair (ponytail circumference is about 5.5 inches) and it totally swamped me. I couldn't cope with wearing it down anymore. I also had a realisation that, despite all the different buns and hairtoys that I wore, I basically had two looks: down or scraped back. I just didn't feel that the scraped back look was doing my any favours (from the point of view of my overall appearance) so I decided to cut it back.

About 7/8 months ago now I had it cut back to BSL; then shoulders and layered. That's where it is now.

Do I regret it? Nope. I'm loving the fun I have with it now.

Just_Isabel
April 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM
First of all: the last option totally cracked me up: I cut my hair so that I could put in extentions made from cheese. :rollin: And I almost chose it because it's so funny. :gabigrin:

Second: I haven't read any replies yet, I will go back to read the whole thread after I post my answer.

Third: I chose other.
I did "chop" my hair, but it wasn't because of damage to my hair and it wasn't because I wanted short hair. My hair was very, very close to waist when stretched straight and at around BSL when curly, I cut it to about chin length.
I'd lost a lot of hair (I assume due to stress about 6 months before), and I just wasn't happy: I got stressed when I saw how much I was shedding, I felt sad when I saw and felt how much thinner it was getting - in short, it was causing me more grief than joy, and I didn't have the motivation to take care of it.
So I cut it to a length that would hide the thickness and would make taking care of it easier and faster (combing and washing take much less time now).

It helped, and I like my hair again.
And the thickness* is coming back and I'm growing again. :D

FWIW: When I cut my hair I didn't start a thread about it. :p I just wrote about it in my hair journal and changed my information so the old length wouldn't show under my avatar.

ETA: *Mind, I was a ii with less than 3in circ even back then before I started losing like crazy, but compared to what I ended up with, even that seems like wonderfully thick to me. :lol:

Just_Isabel
April 28th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Yes, after yet another episode of heavy shedding

Me too!
I went from a bit over BSL / almost waist (dry, curly / stretched straight) to about chin length because I shed so much my hair got much thinner than it had been. :(
I've been mostly happy with my hair since cutting, and I'm growing again - thankfully, the shedding went back to normal levels and my hair is getting thicker again.
:cheese:

Oh, I chose "Yes, for other reasons" (for quantity reasons :lol:).

KnightsLady
April 28th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I voted "no, no way", but only because there was no option for "no, but I've wavered on occasion" and almost had it cut.

Leisha
April 28th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I voted "no, no way!" too. I've recently cut back to waist length but that's not "short" is it :p (well I guess some might disagree :))

I might someday cut my hair short, who knows, but not any time soon, and it was the only "no" option in the poll so that's what I voted :)

DeeM
April 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Hi evryone.
I've only just joined the message board, and I haven't cut my hair since well before then! Infact, I can't remember the last time I had a 'proper' haircut, it's only been been slight trims for quite a few years now. :p

florenonite
April 28th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I trimmed last July, at about the same time I joined LHC (I think I'd found it and was lurking at the time, and joined shortly after) and intend to trim again in June (I'd do July, but I'm working at a summer camp so it's just easier to do it when I'm actually living at home).

Jaime
April 28th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Nope, haven't gotten the slightest trim since joining - in fact, LHC has been a major reason why I haven't. My first goal was to have my first trim at the two year mark. I'm mildly surprised that once that anniversary passed (about three weeks ago), I found that I had no urge whatsoever to cut anything. I expect I'll trim an inch or two at some point in the future (to even out "natural" layers), but that future point remains undefined for now.

8) Jim

Meli
April 28th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I have not had any trims/cuts since I found LHC. However, I had loads of splits and white dots/broken bends, and I have spent a lot of time with S&D. Literally all my hairs were split before LHC, and a significant amount of splits had travelled several inches up the hairs. It's hard to say for sure, but I may have lost some overall length from S&D-ing the longest hairs. Because of that, I voted "other".

The number of new splits are decreasing all the time, but I have still a lot of length that has been exposed to years of mechanical damage. I do not intend to trim, though. My reasons:
1: S&D-ing the longest hairs may cause some loss of overall length, but at least I can be sure that I have lost no more length than absolutely necessary.
2: I want to have fairytale ends. Blunt cuts just isn't me. S&D-ing will not prevent my ends from fairytale-ing, but trims do.
3: My splits occur through my length and not only at my hemline. Trims haven't ever made my hair as soft and tangle-free as a good S&D mission.

Laululintu
April 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I voted other, as I had a roughly 3 inch trim in November 2005 (I joined LHC in June 2005 after lurking for a good few months). I've also given myself two trims since then where I've trimmed maybe 2-ish inches each time, in addition to semi-regular S&D.

I'm planning on getting a few inches trimmed professionally, as well as having my layers put back in as soon as I can afford it, so that's another reason why I chose other. I have to admit I was severely tempted to go for the cheese extensions though :p

paper
April 28th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Just trimmed off growing out layers. I will be doing that for awhile.

Irishred
April 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I chopped my hair before finding TLHC because of regular damage and dryness I didn't know how to handle. After I found this place and learned new, better ways to take care of my length, I haven't chopped other than trims (well a few more than I really wanted to cut but I did it myself :P)

icydove
April 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I did a 14-inch chop in January 2007 to get rid of damage. My hair is much healthier now.

Arniky
April 28th, 2008, 09:32 AM
yes sometimes nice trims

Meli
April 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM
No, I have only S&D-ed since I came here. I have no intention to cut either.

darl_in1
April 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I voted 'Yes, for others reason'.

SophieJ
April 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I cut off about 10 inches of dyed black hair so I could get back to a more natural color for me.

I regret it though.

Wish my hair was still long and black, now it is blonde (orange-y blonde) and shorter, a little bit longer than BSL now : (

zift
April 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Uuum isn't there almost an identical thread and also in the first page of the polls section. :confused:
I'm not a native speaker but when I hear chop I understand like hacking hair off to short. If it's a major different thing than I want to know how much counts as chopping off. I mean cutting 10" for a medium length person would mean chopping it all off while for someone of floor lengthed hair it would be a little percentage of their hair and might be called a trim. Anyway I did cut 9" off about two years ago but they were damaged extremely thinning bits and needed to go. :)

jel
April 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Being a member of the No Trimming Club (see link in my siggy) I selected 'not cut at all' option. Still, I do S&D occasionally.

jel
April 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Nope, not me! However, I'm open to future changes in my personality and taste - I might one day decide to go short and choppy again. On the other hand, I might not!

lady G
April 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM
well i had mine chopeed to a chin length bob from almost shoulder length to get rid of scraggy layers, i keot the bob for a few months but now i am ready to try and grow it again!!!!!!!

AJoifulNoise
April 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I haven't cut my hair at all. No chops, trims, or S&Ds.

epiphanee
April 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yup. I chopped it from below waist length to above shoulder length in September 2007 in order to eradicate the henna-coloured hair and grow out my grey.

I still have light henna tones on some of the length and intend to have another cut (hopefully the very last one ever) once I am at waist length again.

I hate cutting my hair but I decided that I could not tolerate the two-toned length. Eventally I want to have virgin, un-cut hair with 100% fairytale ends.

Martina
April 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I just went to a stylist last week and had a chop of about 7". I had multiple layers which made updoes difficult, and the layers were somewhat damaged due to old perm/highlights.
Now I haved a blunt cut of virgin hair in great condition. I am very pleased with the outcome.

granitbaby
April 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, I cut back from just below waist to above shoulder in august 2007. My hair was over hennaed, dry and I felt very strong about growing out my natural colour. I still feel that and don't regret the cut, but my hair right now (partly bleached down henna=orange and short) isn't so much fun. But the cut was a necessary bad so to say.

Millielie
April 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I chopped a couple of inches to get rid of my layers. There are one or two inches of layers left, but I won't cut my hair until next year again.

Sana
April 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM
yes I did cut my hair to a bob last nov. as I was getting rid of damage form heating iron & also wanted to start fresh...was getting over postpartum blues:rolleyes: Ofcourse the stylist cut my waist length hair & all she said was .....oh my god, my floor is full of hair:shrug: I was too shocked to react. But now i am already almost at bsl....& luv the quality.

Dark Rosaleen
April 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I have periodically grown my hair out and cut it since first joining the site. I'm easily bored I guess, and I mainly come to the site for information on how to properly care for my hair. (Sorry, I didn't really intend for that to rhyme.)

So I chose the "other" option for my answer. For now though I have grown bored with short hair and am growing it out again, to at least shoulder length, and possibly bra strap. If I could keep from getting bored with it so easily I may someday make it to waist, but I think that's as long as I would want it.

swanns
April 30th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I haven't had my hair cut for the past 4 years exept for a few trims, so, I chose the first alternative :)

psvzum
April 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I just had a major chop to even up a "shelf" I had gotten. "Shelf" = major layer that just sticks out there above longer hairs. I miss the length dearly but like the look much better : )

nomadhome
April 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Since no way was the only no option, that's what I picked. That said, I may not keep it long for the rest of my life. Shortness could happen (but not in the immediate future).

kwaniesiam
April 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Yes, and I don't regret anything that I have done to it, before or after the cut. It's just hair, and will grow back with time. I'm looking forward to starting my growing over.

Dvips
May 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Yup - cut my hair from tailbone to shoulders in January. No regrets... except that I can't wear my Ficcares and hairsticks!

At some point I'll grow it back to waist, but I don't know when.

Meanwhile - FYI - I merged the two currently active polls about this topic. Please pardon any confusion caused by this. :flowers:

Alethia
May 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM
I rarely cut my hair anyway, but no, I have not cut my hair since I joined. My ends are getting really thin and wispy though and just snarling up so I think it's time for my yearly trim. I usually get my man to hack about 3-4 inches off. It really could do with it.

Shanarana
May 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I voted no, no way.....I have a greater respect for my hair care now than before joining about a year ago. I could use a trim, but am waiting until hip lenght to maintain there. Until than, micro trims now and then.

UrbanEast
May 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Not me! I did cut a face framing layer though.

Elenna
May 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I've been getting hair trimmed about 1/4" every three months. So I've made progress in growing it from shoulder lenght to armpit length.

BUT I am very frustrated with my hair right now. It's the usual story: damage from dye and blow drying.

PLUS I've three different colors contending for attention. AAAArrrrrggghhh!

az_sweetie01
May 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Since joining just over a year ago, I've cut almost 8 inches from my hair. I've had two cuts of at least three inches and two minor trims of approx 1". I was diagnosed with seborric dermatitis and the infammation caused by it made me lose quite a bit of hair through sheds and still does when it flares up. So in the interest of thickening up, I've kept my hair between APL and shoulder. The first cut was the hardest because my hair was at BSL but, it's hair and it will grow back with time, TLC and patience :)

maskedrose
May 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yep, although I hadn't officially joined, but had lurked quite a bit. I had to cut from mid-back to shoulder because of horrible condition caused by Accutaine. I had to keep it there for about 3 years until I went off the drug because my hair was so dry and brittle and would not hold moisture no matter how much I babied it! Now, I'm aiming for waist but I have to do regular trims while the last of the damage grows out...

SchnauzerMom
May 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I wish I could say that since joining LHC I never cut my hair short but I did. I'll just call it practice and now I'm growing it out for real.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I voted no, because, though I've thought about chopping and starting over fresh to take better care of it, I know it would just make me incredibly depressed and would just be a big mistake for me.

funnybunny668
May 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have a couple of times.
I don't think I regret cutting it, even when I decide to grow it back out later, because it was what I wanted to do at the time.

Teilani
May 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Some might say I’m going in the wrong direction.

During searches a few years ago, I found this site, but did not join. Two years ago when I finished my degree, my hair was as long as it’s ever been – less than two inches above my waist. When one is writing papers like mad, it is easier to ignore one’s hair, and in my case with how I’m prone to over wash and just keep playing with it, that’s a very good thing. I wasn’t thinking of donations at the time however, and when I came out of that academic fog, I chopped off about ten inches and have been keeping it around mid-back length, give or take a few inches in either direction. Then some women I admire were diagnosed with breast cancer, and I decided I would donate a bunch of hair. Very well and good, but I didn’t do it quickly enough and procrastination set in massively. I have put it off a year now, and told a friend I would chop off a donation’s worth at the end of the summer – incidentally I’m starting another degree this autumn. I suspect that if I wait till the autumn, I’m going to put it off again for a good long while. Over the past couple of months I’ve started doing a lot of things I’ve been meaning to get round to for an age, and after doing a few S&D sessions over the last few weeks, I’ve become just about fed up. My hair is in sound condition (thanks to those S&D missions), I want to donate it, given my current length is about 27 inches, I can donate about 10 and get over the ‘bereavement’ of missing a few inches for a while. If there’s one thing I am confident of, it’s that my hair will grow back.

So, I’m being a bit perverse. Less than a month after finally joining this community, I’m going to be losing a significant amount of hair - thouhg it may not qualify as short by many measures. Monday morning I'll check for walk-ins or book an appointment.

*wonders how many people started touching their hair while reading about the pending cut*

It will be novel having comparatively short hair for a summer.

Mitzy
May 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have talked on here before about my ex wanting me to have super long hair and why, etc. So yes, I joined, got my hair to about 23 inches, then chopped to pixie length to spite him! Now I am growing again and am about to 20 inches.
I also realize at some point here I said I was at BSL, but that was wrong, I am at APL. If anyone sees that post, could you make a note and PM me as to where it is, so I can go fix it. I feel pretty stupid, but I don't have time to do massive searches to fix my idiotic blabberings. Ta.

ZaBasDa
May 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I joined with bsl hair and randomly cut 17 inches off a week after joining. That was one of the most pointless things I have ever done.

Being at bsl was a surprise to me; it was the longest my hair had been since I was very young. I was probably only at that length because many of my dear friends threatened to disown me if I got another disastrous short cut. Then I walked passed a Great Clips and decided to get a "trim". The only good thing about this cut was removing most of my blue bleached streaks. I have happily been growing my hair since though.

connie
May 26th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Well, I've gotten to nearly classic, then cut back to tailbone or just below waist...I think I've done that at least twice since joining LHC. My hair wasn't damaged, but it was layered and once you get past a certain length, the very longest layer starts looking kind of stupid because it's so narrow, so I cut it off to thicken up the hemline again. So that's about 4 inches each time. The last time I did that was sometime within the last year.

Then in Feb. I cut off about 15-16 inches of hair. Long story short, I was just fed up with having to care for all that hair. I didn't have time to care for it as I did previously, it wasn't looking quite as nice anymore, I'd been shedding like crazy, plus I just felt like it was in my way...so off it went.

I originally meant to only go to BSL, but ended up with it about APL...sort of my own fault really, I didn't slide the ponytail holder down far enough and I didn't give my husband very clear instructions when I had him do the snip. Oh well.

All the layers are gone now, except for some fringes around the face and my hemline is just blunt across. But my ends/hemline feels thicker and looks thicker and this length is easier for me to deal with now.

Except that sometimes, I do think it looks a bit triangley now...so I'm considering cutting layers back in again or maybe even bobbing it shorter....I may just be bored with my look though, LOL. From the front, it still looks basically the same as it did before the chop.

Believe it or not, no one has really made a comment on my major chop IRL, it's as though it were not noticeable. :shrug: But then again, I almost always wore my hair up, so people probably had no idea how long my hair was to begin with. :lol:

rubyann
May 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I wasn't a member yet, just lurking. I'd grown my hair (virgin) to almost where it is now, the longest ever, and decided I needed a "style" so I chopped it above my shoulders and had blond highlights done. It was cute and I wore it for awhile, but my longhair yearnings returned. Not gonna go there again. I'm not a cute, fried, bobbed kinda gal.

Iylivarae
May 31st, 2008, 10:22 AM
I haven't cut my hair since finding LHC. It wasn't that damaged, so I didn't have to use such drastic measures.

Sarahmoon
May 31st, 2008, 02:35 PM
No!!!
Actually I find trimming even more difficult since I found this forum. I could use a little trim to get rid of some damaged ends, but I'm affraid the hair dresses will cut off too much and I'm so close to tailbone length now....

Buddaphlyy
May 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM
I picked yes for quality issues. I had tripled processed my hair (relaxer, color, and bleach) and I knew it would take an boatload of treatments to salvage the hair. So I said instead of salvaging that hair, just use those same treatments on perfectly healthy natural hair and never have to worry about cutting again.

Electronika
June 6th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I was a member here a long time ago. I have cut my hair about a year ago. I dont regret it, I miss it though. The way I see it is anyone can have long hair - it just takes patience. To have have long, beautiful healthy hair well that takes hard work and dedication, and not everyone can do that.

My hair is all natural now, I know I will never dye it again. Before I had hair to my tailbone... I had to cut it because it was so processed it was tangled all the time. I just hated it.

I am growing my hair, and its slow. lol

WavyGal
June 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Yes. A couple of times. As much as I would LOVE to have long hair, my hair is so thick and wavy/curly that it DOES need some layers to it. For me, around shoulder length is the longest I'll go. I do love this site for the GREAT advice it gives. LHC is like a big family and that's what keeps me coming back. Don't get me wrong, I think long hair is absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have it. I tried for years. My thick hair just wouldn't allow me to manage and so I prefer it the way I have it. More importantly: I'm too lazy to maintain long hair anyways.

Joliebaby
June 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I have... for different reasons. I shaved my hair completely almost 3 years ago, but the last time I cut it short was a year ago (because I wanted to get rid of color, yet again..) and I've been growing ever since with just tiniest trims and a bigger one to deal with mullet-y back :D Luckily my hair grows pretty fast...
Biggest hindrance for me has been staying away from drastic color changes, or actually, not staying away from them! This time is different I really believe it!

SeaPhoenix
June 10th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm actually keeping my hair cropped short now until the henna is gone. Once it is, I'll begin the long process of growing it out. When I first joined this board in 2004, I had hip length healthy henna'd hair... right now it's layered heavily, with the longest length at the chin. Thinking of going even shorter for next month's haircut, just to speed the process along, so I can stop chopping it. (see my blog for pictures of current hair and next month's potential hair, if interested).

stargrape
June 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm still very new here and after viewing all your beautiful long hair, it will be no more than 1.5" trims from here on out. I had a pixie almost 4 years ago - HUGE MISTAKE for me! :p

ladykemma
June 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
yes, i cut my hair off since joining LHC.

last summer it was the best it had ever been. long, thick, classic length.

then, my life took a turn for the worse, and i was forced to divorce my husband last october. my hair was neglected, abused while I dealt with much more important matters. i sat at home for days with tangled, unkempt hair, while i mourned and barely functioned.

When at last i looked up, and the grieving stopped, it was february and my hair was a horrific, damaged mess.

my regular trimmer hair dresser lady took one look and said "what happened to you?" and we agreed to go to arm pit length. i felt shorn, but it had to go.

now approaching mid back, my hair is starting to look nice again.

Niphredil
June 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Yes I did!

I joined in 2003 with APL hair. It reached pas hip by the end of 2005 but I wasn´t happy with it. I liked the length (and still do) but it was too heavy and just hanging there, elongating my already long and narrow face.
I did a compact cut reaching from shoulder to just above waist. Then, by the end of 2006, it was past waist again and I decided to go even shorter. I really wanted to experience shorter hair (never had it that short since I was born). Now, I'm letting it grow again, probably waist and even beyond.

I do not regret my haircuts, but I do miss the feeling of having long hair!

Finoriel
June 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Nope :) and I´m not planning to do so in the near or far future.

Gladtobemom
June 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
To get rid of the chemical dyed part. I just couldn't take it anymore.

The hair underneath was so pretty and the hair on top was so damaged.

So I cut it back. I've gained back to where I was before and my ends are very healthy.

Henrietta
September 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
No, and I'm not going to. I trim :)

chloeishere
September 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I picked "Yes, for other reasons."

There are people who are very much of the "LONG HAIR 4 LYFE!!!!!" persuasion. That's great!

I'm more of a "Long hair for a few years until I get sick of it and then short hair for a year or two and then grow out the hair for another few years and repeat!!!!!" type of person.

I like variety. There's things I enjoy about long hair, and there's things I enjoy about short hair, and variety is the spice of life.

I've been on LHC for ... almost 5 years, now. It's been to TBL from above shoulder in that time, and I've had it cut back to BSL last month. In about 6 to 7 months, I'm getting it cut back above shoulder, and I will enjoy it. :D

I'm not cutting for quality reasons, I'm cutting because I want to and I'm ready to enjoy short hair again. And then I'll grow it back out when I'm ready.

JellyBene
September 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Yes :( I made the mistake of letting a stylist cut layers into my then almost BSL hair, it looked AWFUL and I had to chop it to shoulder.
I just can't bear to change my sig picture....

Shepherdess
September 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
No, I have never cut my hair short even long before the influence of LHC on me. I never ever intend to cut my hair short. :)

duchesswannabe
September 21st, 2012, 04:21 AM
Got it to BSL and then went back to collarbone. Now at top of APL. I got rid of a lot of old dye cutting back.

Tapioca
September 21st, 2012, 10:24 AM
My hair was at hip about two years ago, then I was diagnosed with RA. I freaked out (my hands were hurting badly) and chopped to shoulder. Now that I'm on the good drugs, my hands don't hurt as much, and I'm growing it back. Probably to waist.

Ticky
September 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
I haven't, only a few several inches trims. I currently don't see myself with short hair in near future, but who knows.

KrissyKitty
September 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM
I cut from BSL to a pixie shortly after joining. My hair was badly damaged, but I should have cut to APL and maintained rather than doing something so drastic. I really regret it, and am only back to shoulder now. But, my shoulder length hair is super healthy.

terylenerose
September 21st, 2012, 04:50 PM
I haven't done any >1" cuts since coming here, and I don't plan to ever again cut more off at once than maybe 2".

MonaMayfair
September 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
I lurked here for at least 2 years before joining. I cut my hair short just before I signed up and I probably would have left it short for longer if it hadn't been such a pain to look after. I'd been used to having low maintenance long hair all my life, having to actually style it was a shock.
Now my hair's got to waist length, I'm feeling like cutting it again, but not short, too much work...

fairhairedthing
September 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
I lurked inconsistently for a little under a year. And yes. lol.
I feel dumb for it but I like my hair now and I will like it later. Boom, problem eliminated. :D

*Rose Red*
September 22nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Definitely no!

Amber_Maiden
September 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Yep, right after I first joined. I needed a fresh start.

Fufu
September 23rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
Yupz, I just chopped off my hair to neck-length, spotting a bob hair cut now.

MissCoco
September 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
Yeah, about 6 months after joining...I needed to get rid of some layers and have a fresh start!

Pumpkin
September 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
No, I have been growing mine since before joining TLHC in 2009. No plans to do a major cut anytime soon.

lapushka
September 24th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Since joining here in 2005, my hair went back to chin length about two times, and back to BSL (from hip) once. This due to some dye disasters (henna & chemical color combined) and a perm. It's past hip now.

kevala
September 26th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Depends on what one means by 'cutting it short'...when I joined, my hair fell to a few inches below my knees. It was fairly healthy, but I wanted a change because I wanted to be able to wear it down more often and I wanted to look a little more 'professional'. I cut it back to hip length, and that felt crazy short to me! Now it's a few inches past my tailbone and I tend to keep it somewhere in the tailbone-or-a-little-lower range. No regrets!

GingerBee
September 28th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I just trim my hair once in a while. The max was 2"

LissaJane
September 28th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I gave myself a buzzcut after a fairly traumatizing year (About a year after I joined LHC). It felt great. Very liberating.

My hair is also in much better condition, it looked awful just before I cut it all off, it's nearly to my shoulder now and it's looking much better than it did.

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 04:46 AM
No, the most I've done is trim off five or more inches in one go (sadly needed). If I wanted nice, thick ends I'd have to cut my almost TB length hair back to waist. I can't bear the thought of doing that, so I'll just keep trimming in stages instead. Since I never wear my hair loose, it's easy to hide my thinner ends.

ApatheticFairy
September 28th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I chopped off a good six inches or so after deep moisture treatments didn't help my dry, sad bleached ends. I cut it wrong (didn't know about Faye's self-trim method) and ended up with layers. After a few months, I then S&D it to hell and accidentally put in MORE layers!

I shouldn't have S&D'd that much. The chop was good for me, though. I still need to chop about 8 inches more off, but I can't bear going shorter than APL again, so it's microtrim city until I can get to MBL-ville.

maborosi
September 28th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Yeah, I did. I wanted to grow my hair out red, and had to cut my losses (lol) and I trimmed it back to a bob from waist length.
So I cut about 15" or so off.

~maborosi~

vamq
October 4th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Yes, I did.

I had almost tailbone length hair last year, and I cut back to above waist-almost bra strap because of stress induced telogen effluvium. My ends were not even what one would call fairytale ends. They were just ratty. And I always felt that I don't want to have long hair for the sake of having it long. I felt ashamed wearing it down, so I cut back to the shortest length with which I could do a comfy updo.

It's really frustrating, but I felt like I had to.
Still at waist though. I was at hiplength, but I'm dealing with a new round of telogen effluvium. I don't really mind (the length. The effluvium I DO mind!), I'm growing out my henna so I'll have to cut off some length eventually (I don't like having 2-toned hair)

Vanille_
October 4th, 2012, 01:51 PM
No. Actually, I've only had one small trim since October 2011 when I joined.

chen bao jun
January 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM
No.
By LHC standards, my hair is very short. If I chopped six inches, partly because of the coily curls, it would be at about my ears. That looks okay on me, but my first goal of APL is about two inches away (stretched, not curly) so no way would I chop!
I chopped once to a pixie, and it looked horrible on me--never doing that again.
I don't have damage damage as I have virgin hair in the sense that its not dyed, nor chemically treated and I have used heat only like 5 times in the last twelve years. However the last 2 or 3 inches of my hair are in poor shape due to mechanical damage (stopped since joining LHC last June; didn't even know I was doing it) and I'm going to cut them off gradually, or maybe cut off two inches when I reach a goal of bra stap. I trimmed three times last year once at hairdresser--I only plan to do self trims now. I will cut them because they don't behave well. They remain dry without a lot of fussing with them and they tend to stick out straight, rather than curling.
My goal is to grow as long as I can. I have had bra strap length before, curly, so am confident about getting that far. I am hopeful (but a little afraid that I can't) get to waist. I would be really surprised if my hair can grow longer than that, although one of my grandmothers whose hair type wasn't so much different did have hip. She did have extremely good hair practices and could have been a member of LHC a hundred years ago!

Sillage
January 5th, 2013, 10:44 AM
No, but I did trim back to BSL once when I got tired of fooling with my almost WL hair.

Neneka
January 6th, 2013, 06:22 AM
I chopped from BSL to a very short pixie. I just felt like it. My hair was damaged from harsh dyes and rough handling and I am happy for not having any of it left. Still the damage wasn't the main reason for chopping to be honest. I wanted to have short hair once more. I hope it it was the last big chop ever.

Majala
January 8th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Yes. I went to shoulder length (or even a bit shorter) in the end of November. I got frustrated with the damage and I prefer to have shorter healthy hair to slowly growing out the damage. It felt strange for a day a two, but now I've grown to love it and I plan to stay at this length.

ladystar
January 8th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Yup! I had waist length hair or longer, and was a part of LHC for a very long time about 5 years ago. I had my long hair for 8 years and i wanted a change. So about May 2012. I chopped it off shoulder length and did layers and highlights. Now its starting to hit me and I miss my hair very very much!

TheMechaGinger
January 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I whacked my hair from bsl up to shoulder length because I thought I would like short hair better after over doing it on long hair advice here. I was oiling way too much and too often, putting crazy stuff in my hair that made it crunchy and awful etc. so I gave up on the thought of having long pretty hair. After about a week I absolutely hated it. So I switched to a very simple routine and my hair is now back to bsl and looking good and I love it. No more big chops for me!

Nique1202
January 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Nope! I found LHC after I started growing out my pixie, and I will never cut above APL again. I'm so sick of not having styling options other than my cut's default! At shoulder, now, I finally have access to a few styles with bobby pins to hold the front pieces in but never again this short.

CircesButterfly
January 25th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Yes, I recently cut my hair because it was thinning. Now I think it's in better condition and stronger. I also appreciate my hair more this time than before.

0xalis
January 28th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I was a lurker when I chopped my hair off due to damage. Now that I'm here, it will be YEARS before I go short again. If it wasn't for LHC I'd probably have cut my hair off again in frustration :S

Kome
January 28th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I've trimmed off several inches, but never "short" until recently. I just cut it all just below my shoulders. Part of me regrets it, but part of me loves it. I was just sick of the same hair for years. It's a change, but I'll definitely be growing it out again and shooting for long hair again when I'm tired of it.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
No, and I hope never to. Life/events may intervene but i will not be doing any major chopping of hair unless I can no longer physically take care of it myself.

Lyv
January 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Yep I've been on here for a while now and just cut to pixie on Dec 26th and then to a shorter pixie Jan 2nd. I was tired of the old bleach and henna line I had and decided to get rid of it all at once and start over.

Heavy Raindrops
January 30th, 2014, 02:16 PM
My hair was nearly waist length or waist length when I was lurking at LHC before I joined. I then had to have it cut to BSL which I regret. :( But now it's back at waist length though. :p

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 03:25 AM
I cut it twice my first month here. (just this end of Oct)
First to an inch above APL then to CBL. (was only barely BSL anyway and that depended on the bra hehe)
Also added a lot more layers. My cuts were to remove some hideous keratin "treatment" damage that happened beginning of Oct.

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 05:24 AM
Yes, to get rid of layers. :p

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Actually, no. :)

But I've become more self confident about the trims - I trim myself and thanks to LHC, I've learned a lot about it and also about the proper hair care. And reading all our stories I've realized that hair, after all - grows back. ;)

Nymphea
May 26th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Actually, no. :)

But I've become more self confident about the trims - I trim myself and thanks to LHC, I've learned a lot about it and also about the proper hair care. And reading all our stories I've realized that hair, after all - grows back. ;)

Biancachloe
July 24th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Since joining LHC I decided to grow out my fringe/bangs. They recently grew past my chin and I decided to cut my hair to all one length. I miss it being long, but I am happy with my decision and think it will look a million times better growing at all one length. I love braids and hated the way all my layered ends would poke through or how much they would taper toward the ends.

Katrina
July 26th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Yes, for other reasons.

I found TLHC in 2008. My hair was colored first with a dark brown boxdye and then with hendigo, and I was not very happy with the color anymore. I had bangs too. I wanted virgin hair and I wanted VERY long hair without bangs. It was not a very good combination... I was at BSL length back then.

I grew my hair to little past TB while stopped coloring it in March 2009. The demarcation line was bothering me and I knew that I could not continue growing forever with hair like that. So I bit the bullet and cut it in February 2011 from TB to flip length (above shoulders). I got rid of the colored part of my hair and my bangs, and had a fresh start. Now I'm almost back at TB with all virgin hair and going for terminal length :)

Tini'sNewHair
July 26th, 2014, 06:39 AM
This! I did however had a big chop from waist to bellow shoulders before lhc so that I could grow virgin hair again and now im at hip, never cutting again! The big chop was to remove horrible damage.
Cut? Hair? *shudder* Never!

Vallena
July 26th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Yes, from BSL+ to chin length. Instant regret and I'm trying to grow back now. My hair grows pretty quickly, at least.

amino
August 1st, 2014, 05:11 PM
Nope, and not planning to, unless I decide to donate it.

Begemot
September 24th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Yes, just recently this spring had my hair cut from a little past waist length to a little past apl. Was so determined to get rid of the dyed ends before summer. Sort of regreted it for a while but what is done is done and now I'm happy to grow my natural hair long.

Fufu
September 27th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Yeap, I grew from neck length to BSL.

and then I chopped my hair to shoulder-length, then neck length, then pixie.

Now I'm back to neck length.

hannabiss
September 27th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Found this,shaved bald,joined, and now shoulder length.

Phexlyn
September 27th, 2014, 06:49 AM
No, no way! Not going to happen! (I think)
I just don't like big chops (like more than 3 inches), I prefer trimming and growing out the damage slowly.

battles
September 27th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I found LHC, used henna at around APL, grew out to around MBL and then cut to chin to remove the henna. No dye for me this time. :) I'm at almost APL again.

Lady Mary
September 27th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Yes, I voted "quality issues." I never used heat or mistreated it with brushes and what not but I have always colored it and over washed it. It kind of showed... Now with the addition of supplements, it's much healthier looking hair so the bad had to go.

kganihanova
September 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I cut 8 inches to get rid of my layers. I was unhappy with it, so I cut!

LauraLongLocks
September 27th, 2014, 12:33 PM
No big chops since finding LHC. I had a pixie at age 9, and again at age 15. I grew it long starting in 1994 (age 17), and wore it between BSL and MBL from 1997 to 2008. I did a big chop to pixie in May 2008 when we had lice, and regretted going so short. I did it on impulse and out of desperation. I got a lot of compliments on it and wasn't sure if I would grow it back out for the first year. So, I kept it short, about chin length, for almost a year before I decided I wanted my long hair back. I didn't feel like myself with it short. I knew short wasn't right for me because I saw an old friend from high school while it was short again and wanted to tell them I wore it long for over a decade. I knew then I really missed my long hair and I was going to grow it back.

When I got to uncharted territory in my length, I started looking for more information on long hair care and found that TLHS no longer existed (The Long Hair Site... I found that back when my hair was long before the pixie of 2008 and got a lot of useful information, started using oils, etc.), but I found that there was this other site, the LHC. And here I am now. It's been 11 months since I joined and no, I will not be cutting to another pixie ever again! No big chops ever again!

Hedera
September 27th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Yup, twice. :)

The first time I could at least claim I was getting rid of dye damage (although that was not the most important reason to cut it, I think), the second time it really was just because I did not enjoy my long hair, and I wanted short hair again.

I do like drastic changes - and I enjoy the way my hair feels fuller when it's shorter.
It's not thick to begin with, around 2.5" circumference, and that drops to around 1" between shoulders and APL.

But when it's short I miss my braids and updos, so now I'm letting it grow again....

Mind you, I've been here nearly 10 years, so it's been pretty long for a pretty long time in between cuts. ;)

hanne jensen
November 5th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Yes. I chopped back to shoulder in July 2013 because of severe damage. There was nothing else I could do.

thunderlilies
November 5th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I have a couple of times. From classic length back to tailbone and from tailbone to waist last year (back to tailbone again now). I voted for "other reasons". I don't regret it. It's nice to change up every now and then :-)

MadPirateBippy
November 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I went from below classic to shoulder length for a variety of reasons and didn't regret it. I'm growing it out again now and even though I'd be at my goal of knee if I hadn't chopped, I don't regret it at all.

I spent about a year thinking about the chop, when my hair felt like a burden instead of something that made me happy, I cut it off in two foot at a time chunks, and I felt better afterwards. I spent plenty of timethinking I'd never ever ever cut my hair but sometimes your goals change and it's OK to be flexible.

I mean, after all- it's just hair. :)

Dragonfly
November 9th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I cut my hair short after having been a member of LHC for years, back in the early 2000's. I needed to experiment, I have never had short hair. Now that I have literally tried it all (even pixie cut!), I want my gorgeous mane back!

Garnetgem
January 19th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Not a chance i tend to keep clear of a scissors and since joining here all the more so,i have seen beautiful hair lengths to inspire!

lapis_lazuli
January 19th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Nope! I actually did just the opposite :D Since I've found LHC, I've stopped cutting my hair. It's been about 2-3 years now :rolling:

irodaryne
January 19th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Yep! Found LHC and joined in July 2014. Then February of 2015 I cut from CBL to the shortest pixie I'd ever had (I cut it on a whim. It looked good but I wish I hadn't. My hair would be past BSL by now if I hadn't) and then I cut from a bit past shoulder to chin in October 2015 to get rid of the pixie mullet (trust me, it needed it). Now I'm hanging at shoulder and hoping to go onward without any big cuts for at least the next year (and I wont be cutting until the end of this year unless I absolutely have to because I'm in the no trim challenge :wink:)

Groovy Granny
January 19th, 2016, 05:38 PM
No, no way! Not going to happen! :tmi:

khryz
January 19th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I just cut my hair a couple of days ago! Figured to just get rid of the damage now than later

Islandgrrl
January 21st, 2016, 11:09 PM
Oh no, no, no, no, no. Not going to happen.

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2016, 11:36 PM
APL is fairly short ish for this forum. So I have to say Yes!!!

Olavi
January 22nd, 2016, 05:34 AM
I cut my then BSL (some strands longer than that) to around collarbone length long bob last summer. It was nice for few weeks, but after that I started to miss effortless buns and relatively nice looking buns. I'm still few centimetres from being back to BSL...

languagenut
January 22nd, 2016, 04:28 PM
Oddly, the only option this poll gives for negative answer is "not going to happen"; what if I haven't cut my hair since joining, but I haven't eliminated the possibility from my mind? Just an observation.

I haven't had my hair cut short since I joined, because I haven't had my hair cut short since I was born. The only haircuts I've ever had have been slight trims. And I don't have any plans of changing that; I like my hair the way it is. I've sometimes considered having it cut to mid-back, but I don't think I'd do shorter than that.

MeAndTheMaz
January 22nd, 2016, 04:53 PM
I've given passing thought to chopping and starting over, but I don't really see that happening. It's one of the things that define me.

rhosyn_du
January 23rd, 2016, 03:34 AM
Yup. :agree: I cut from between FTL and knee to chin, then shaved one side all the way to the scalp, then cut the whole thing to an asymmetrical pixie while the shave was growing out.

I find it really interesting that this poll has an option for regretting a cut, but not one for being happy with it. I'm growing my hair long again now, but cutting short was the right choice for me when I did it, and I was really happy with it.

Tabitha
January 23rd, 2016, 05:59 AM
Yup. :agree: I cut from between FTL and knee to chin, then shaved one side all the way to the scalp, then cut the whole thing to an asymmetrical pixie while the shave was growing out.

I find it really interesting that this poll has an option for regretting a cut, but not one for being happy with it. I'm growing my hair long again now, but cutting short was the right choice for me when I did it, and I was really happy with it.
I know! I had to choose "Yes, for other reasons" it was 4 years ago, and though I do have the odd pang when I see my old pics or if I see a particularly lovely pic from someone else, I am in the right place for me now at this stage of my life.

humble_knight
January 23rd, 2016, 07:09 AM
Regrettably, yes, I did. I thought it was the best solution to manage my SD and folliculitis on both my scalp and areas of my face. I only got on top of those issues in summer 2014. Although I cut it, I always enjoyed seeing heads of hair which inspired me and in particular now in 2016 when there are quite a lot of active male LHC'ers who post photos of their hair in different lengths.

parkmikii
January 23rd, 2016, 11:10 AM
I didn't, the only thing that might make me cut a considerable amount of hair would be a really huge shed..

languagenut
January 23rd, 2016, 05:07 PM

So, we're missing at least two options, "Yes, and I was happy with it", and "No, but I might in the future".

Agnes Hannah
January 24th, 2016, 12:52 PM
No, I'm enjoying it longer and can't think of anything worse than being short haired again, been there, done it and got the tshirt!

earthybee
January 24th, 2016, 01:55 PM
I was almost mid back length last July when I cut it to collar bone length. I was having shedding issues and I wanted to go lighter. I went lighter and low and behold my naturally dark hair works better for me. I'm about 2" from BSL and I don't regret what I did. My hair isn't as thin and well I learned to love my dark hair instead of trying to naturally lighten it all of the time :lol:

allycat
January 24th, 2016, 07:04 PM

Raising hand… Yes! Last week I cut mine from almost hip to BSL and I looooove it! Was wanting a change and I love how swingy and light it feels, and it's wavier now. Pondering my next trim in a month or two so I can maintain here. I'm planning to stay this length for the time being.

(Though BSL might not exactly be as "short" as thread title indicates)

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Glad you are happy with the results, allycat! :D

allycat
January 24th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Thank you Lapis Lazuli!

Unzadi
February 8th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I did, yesterday, from bsl, to shoulder, to get rid of damage. Though I think my vote when I originally voted was probably "not going to happen," I'm glad that it did. I like having clean ends, an even hemline, and how swingy it is when loose. I will probably regrow, but want to have fun with this first.

Alarice
February 8th, 2016, 12:55 PM
No (she said emphatically, with enough vigor and eloquence that it constituted a quality post in and of itself).
:p

mermaid lullaby
February 9th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Nope! Nope! Nope!

lapis_lazuli
February 9th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I did, yesterday, from bsl, to shoulder, to get rid of damage. Though I think my vote when I originally voted was probably "not going to happen," I'm glad that it did. I like having clean ends, an even hemline, and how swingy it is when loose. I will probably regrow, but want to have fun with this first.

It's never a bad thing to experiment :thumbsup: Glad you are happy with the results!

teddygirl
February 10th, 2016, 08:14 PM
I've not been that long and didn't cut that short, but yes. I went from Hip - apl+. I didn't mind the length, but the style was terrible. Circa 2001 ugh. I cut to get rid of bleach damage, which is now 100% gone. I'm so happy to have 100% virgin hair, for the first time since 6th grade ( :| ) but do miss the length. I'm growing it back out, it's just so much healthier without the damaged ends.

Piewee
February 13th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Cut from waistlength to above shoulder, wanted it to be more manageble, but am growing it back now I think, its past shoulder now. Still not sure what to do with it.

andrea1982
February 18th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Yes, cut to just past chin after my 5 year old son was born. I regretted it after about 6 months and grew back to waist... then I got layers and cut back to APL almost 2 years ago. I was happy with that for almost a year i guess. It's just too easy to get a hair cut I guess. Every once and a while I start feeling really frumpy and out of style, and I think a hair cut will help. I was thinking I would probably be at classic by now if I had stayed the course, but I'm a bit too impulsive. Ahh well, I think I've learned my lesson. I've wanted super long hair for about 6 1/2 of the last 8 years, so I think this feeling is here to stay, and I'm going to ignore impulses to cut my hair in the future.

BlueSky
August 24th, 2016, 01:55 PM
No , they should be much longer.

lithostoic
August 24th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Yeah, cut it from BSL to CBL in December due to damage.

Baby
August 25th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Yes, I cut it to shoulder when I grew out the henna

H o n є y ❤
August 25th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Yes, I cut my hair less than a month ago. I went from APL to a very short cut. My hair is a little past my ears now when stretched. I cut it due to damage and incredibly uneven layers. But I am loving my cut so much!

HairPlease
August 25th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I whacked off a good 5" or so taking me to about APL. Zero regrets, tempted to cut to CBL. Didn't like my ends/taper.

littlestarface
August 25th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Yea I did a while ago now, like back in 2011ish, I had my sister cut my hair to BCL T.T it was horrible, my hair felt so short, never again. I Just have to live with the fact that I will always have horrible thin ends *sadface*

TatsuOni
August 25th, 2016, 11:23 AM
No, no way! Not going to happen! I will live and die with long hair!

Lize
August 25th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Yeah, a few times. I have been a member since 2006 and started from a long pixie cut. Back in the first years I cut back a couple of times to get rid of layers and stuff like that, but eventually I got to waist length with no layers. Unfortunately I obsessed a lot about my hair and not to damage it to the point where it affected what activities I would do. Also I thought my hair was too thin comparing myself to all the people here with insanely thick hair. When I look back at pictures from then I can see my hair didn't look thin at all. I mean I'm a ii, but it was mostly in my head. All of this eventually led me to chop. I cut in layers and cut it slightly longer than shoulder length and started highlighting. It was nice to be able to just completely forget about my hair for a few years to get some distance. During these years I took a break from LHC and kept my hair at a shorter length. Recently I felt like starting to grow it again and I have a feeling this time it will all be different. I won't obsess and just have fun with it. And also I kinda missed the LHC so it's good to be back!

Floh
August 27th, 2016, 01:06 PM
No, no way! Not going to happen!

Thats how it is :-)

Cg
August 27th, 2016, 05:53 PM
No, but I had already cut my layers off before I found this place. I've learned great ways to keep my hair healthy so there's been no need for a big cut, only frequent microtrims for neatness.

Margrit
January 20th, 2019, 02:12 PM

MusicalSpoons
January 20th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Nope, not before or since. I grew from a bob at ~age 6, stalled in a tbl-hip-tbl cycle until I found LHC :)

AmaryllisRed
January 20th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Not yet, but I will eventually!

sophia_
January 20th, 2019, 03:28 PM
I'm not planning on ever cutting my hair short again, I haven't had short hair since I was young, and I've never wanted short hair.

Alibran
January 20th, 2019, 04:20 PM
I had a bad layered cut (the stylist had managed to trim the ends a couple of times without causing any disasters, so I made the mistake of trusting her to do it). I was so disheartened at the thought of growing it all out again that I ended up - over the next 2 or 3 years - going back to a pixie.

Natalia_A00
January 20th, 2019, 05:24 PM
I joined recently but... nope, not gonna happen anytime soon!

Wravyn
January 20th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Yup. I cut mine really short when I first decided to grow it out long because I didn't want to wait for my natural color to grow out. Plus I figured it would be a lot healthier and more enjoyable to grow out.

Begemot
January 21st, 2019, 04:06 AM
Twice. First time was 2014 when I wanted to cut the dyed length off and went from waist to APL. Then last year when I was just feeling indifferent about my length and thought shorter would be easier, so went from BSL to shoulder.

victorian girl
March 16th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Yes, in the spring 2017 I cut off the damage first... and then more and more of some actually quite nice and healthy hair. It was a mistake length-wise, cause in 2017 I already was at WL or even a bit more stretched, and now I'm not even yet where I was back then. I really should've stopped at least at APL.

-Fern
March 16th, 2019, 09:54 PM
Twice... Once trying the compact cut method for making your own layers (my hair is either too thick or too contentious). Trying to fix that mess set me back almost 8". Then after moving to Colorado, I decided to cut my waist length hair 6", but the stylist removed more than 12", leaving me at collarbone length.

Twenty inches of hair... A fellow LHC'er who was at the same length as me in 2015 is now at classic length!

Aunt Rapunzel
March 16th, 2019, 10:06 PM
Yup. I had 16" cut to donate to a group called Children with Hair Loss. It left me with 24" long hair. I'm growing it out to donate once more, so I can reach my goal of donating my height in hair....Then I'll grow it out for me, and keep it long.

victorian girl
March 17th, 2019, 03:55 AM
Twice... Once trying the compact cut method for making your own layers (my hair is either too thick or too contentious). Trying to fix that mess set me back almost 8". Then after moving to Colorado, I decided to cut my waist length hair 6", but the stylist removed more than 12", leaving me at collarbone length.

Twenty inches of hair... A fellow LHC'er who was at the same length as me in 2015 is now at classic length!

This! I hope that I will remember this feeling when I want to cut my hair the next time.

Katsura
March 17th, 2019, 06:37 AM
I've been on the forum for a year now. I'm having so much fun with the idea of growing my hair towards classic as I had it when I was a kid, I don't think I'll be cutting it short any time soon unless something happens.

ReadingRenee
March 20th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Oh my yes. 4 times. Lets see...
I found LHC in 2004, at pixie length and signed up in 2005 when my hair was chin length. It was horribly damaged so I grew it with lots of big trims but I didn't do a big chop until about July 2009, when my hair was at waist length and I had a 3 month old. I was sick of it and chopped it to above my chin. Then I grew it out again to about collarbone and my husband and I decided to buzz our heads together Dec 2010. His hair was waist length. I grew it out again to MBL. Then in 2014, I chopped it to chin again. I grew it back out again to once again MBL and then cut to chin in 2018. I have been growing ever since and I have a few inches to go until APL.

I see a pattern here... :)

Zesty
March 20th, 2019, 03:18 PM
In 2013 I cut my hair from BCL to just below shoulder length. I was feeling frumpy and I was too neurotic about my hair. I liked it for a year, then cursed my past self and began my length journey again. Now I'm kind of glad I did because it's made me chiller and I appreciate my hair more and never feel the urge to chop. :)

guska
March 21st, 2019, 10:59 AM
I am afraid to say yes haha.

When I just joined I cut from TBL to BSL and one month later to neck length. Was obsessed with getting my thickness back after hair loss. Kind of regret it but I have not had hair that short since I was 5 years old. And it will grow back in no time.

The-Young-Maid
February 6th, 2020, 11:15 PM
I said yes because of quality issues. Of course it was only back to waist so not really short, but it felt it! I had to cut off really thin ends from heavy shedding.

GoatLady
October 15th, 2022, 09:24 PM
Yes, I did. About 8 years ago. I regret it.

tuanyiji
October 16th, 2022, 02:05 AM
No and I won’t in the foreseeable future.

foreveryours
October 16th, 2022, 06:42 AM
as long as it grows no not ever

Fiorentina
November 7th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Glitch
November 8th, 2022, 01:52 AM
Nope! Quite the opposite. Forever tempted to never ever go back! ;)