PDA

View Full Version : Layers on a guy

VashX2000
July 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Not sure if this has ever been brought up (did a search, but only the word "layer" was being searched), but what are the thoughts on layers on a guy?

I ask this (I'm a guy) because my hair is breaking pretty heavily at the "rubberband" point for my ponytail (where I keep it most of the time).

Didn't know if there's any way to fix/hide the breakage... layering? big cut? not too sure.

Just wanted some educated opinions before I did anything.

Thanks all.

Fractalsofhair
July 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
It depends. My boyfriend's mother, one night after having a few too many glasses of wine at a party(She's not normally a heavy drinker, but had had a bit too much with some friends.) decided to chop random layers into his hair, which is very curly. It ended up looking very awkward to have random chunks missing. Light layers would probably be fine, but some very "frilly" or flippy layers might not look right on a guy. There are subtle ways to do layers though, depending on your hairtype! Are you using ouchless elastics and gentle methods for your hair? Also, be sure to alternate how high up your ponytail is to prevent damage.

VashX2000
July 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
hehe, just realized I never actually "hairtyped" myself... finally updated the profile with my stats.

I don't think I'd consider doing anything too "flippy" or "frilly", just something to make it look less broken, hehe.

Thanks for the quick reply

Addy
July 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Have you tried braiding it and or doing different styles? Are you really using *rubber bands*? If so, those are a big NONO!

Try a higher ponytail off and on through the week. When using the same ponytail position day in and day out, it's putting a lot of stress on your tresses. :(

As far as layers, there is no right or wrong way of wearing your hair, as long as you like it. If you do decide to do layers, May I issue you the two week rule so you don't go out and cut in the next few days. You should really think about it.

Try some braids and maybe a bun instead held with a stick even if you are a guy. Hair sticks have broken me of bands. :cool: It's entirely up to you though. :)

GlassEyes
July 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Well, a lot of guys have layers. Heck, a lot of people have layers; moreso I think than people with blunt cuts, so I don't think it really matters. I have layers (though I HATE THEM) and I'm a guy. :shrug:

Fractalsofhair
July 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Also, if you have thicker hair, a headband folded in two works well as a VERY gentle scruchie. There are some manly hair sticks. These are pricey, but have been recommended here(never order from this site) http://www.bronzejewelers.com/hairpics.htm but to deny a dagger could be a bit manly...(Or a sword shaped letter opener?) XD With your hairtype, carefully done layers would probably look fine. It's only the REALLY uneven ones on curly haired people that can look off. Also, to help prevent breakage, oiling your hair and maybe even a leave in conditioner(just dilute your regular one for starters) might work well.

Thila
July 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
My guy's hair is curly and all one layer. I have mentioned (not prodded) him to get layers because it would look great on him but he isn't interested. I love long layered hair on guys...especially if it is wavy or curly.

Fractalsofhair
July 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thila, perhaps I should clarify that with my boyfriend, it was a really bad case of layers. Having a not exactly sober stylist come at you with kitchen shears is bound to cause anyone to have a bad haircut. Some chunks of his hair were only 3-4 inches long, and randomly thru out his hair. His hair sticks straight out when it's shorter than about 10 inches, so it looked very odd to have random sections froing up and other sections laying flatish. For the OP, if he gets a good stylist, it would probably look fine. I've never seen layers properly done on a guy with curly hair, though I have seen cuts that are U shaped etc,but I rarely see guys with layers!

Amara
July 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I don't think you should do layers to hide the damage. You'll just have broken damaged layers as they grow out.

You need to find a gentler hair tie, or one of the best solutions is to change up the place you're tying it off. Fave solution to that on a guy - gather your hair at the base of your skull (where I'm guessing your ponytail usually is, and then do just 4 or 5 passes of a 3 strand braid, and then put the ponytail band on.

Kirin
July 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Avoid a mullet, and your best bet if you decide to trim up damage is to see a real barber. Don't go to a hair salon, a barber will know, if you tell them what you are attempting to do, the best look that will not look feminine.

Brat
July 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I think long layers would be best. Short layers will tend to make the bottom look sparse, but that all depends on the face and the hair... JMO

Heidi_234
July 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I second the others - don't cut layers to hide the damage, they will start really high up, and also you won't be able to gather them into your ponytail (major annoyance!). Rather than cutting it off, just grow it out, and be a little more friendly with your hair to avoid further similar problem. Like others said:
1) Buy hair-friendlier elastics to tie your hair with.
2) Change the place of the ponytail as much as you can.
3) Starting off few bumps of a braid and then tying it is a neat suggestion.
4) Braids in general are not for women only :) Tying hair at the very ends makes it easier to get rid of damage.
5) Hair sticks are the best to avoid damage, if you're up to it.
6) I had something of my own to add but I forgot :p

Feye
July 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Since your hairtype is 2b/2c and 29 inches long I'm not so sure about layers. It sounds as if you want to hide breakage at the base of the ponytail, which is nape of neck. Since your hair is so long and also wavy, I'm not sure that starting the layers that high up will feel good. I'm remembering my sister's ex boyfriend who used to dry his hair after washing in a cap, just to tame down the curls. He had shoulder length hair.

I also think that it's good to find a better hairtoy than rubber band, and to practice some more styles.

VashX2000
July 14th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Oh wow,

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

I guess I should've specified, I don't actually use "rubber bands" hehe, just what I call the elastics.

Thanks again, this is such an incredibly friendly and helpful forum!

Elettaria
July 14th, 2009, 03:12 AM
There are some barrettes you can use for ponytails that look suitably masculine, those might cause less damage. A male friend of mine with similar hair to yours uses a leather one. Wood may be an option too.