PDA

View Full Version : I Give In!!!!!!

Jessclewlow
July 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
yes im being naughty!... i NEED to dye my hair. the colour is driving me crazy... however... with much love from all you people on here... im going to be 'a little good' and try henna... my hairs already sort of red ( not a very good red tho) so i have my eye on fiery red henna.... does anyone have any advice? i dont wanna just jump in at the deep end and end up looking like chris evans! lol

xx

Eireann
July 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I know there are BIG henna fans here, and I myself used to henna way back when, but I will say that even though it is natural and some people find it less damaging (though for me it really dried out my hair) it is a much bigger commitment because it is nearly impossible to get rid of. On the other hand, the red that you get from henna, in my opinion, looks much more natural and lasts longer than any chemical dye. So, if you are sure, then go for it. But if you are not sure, maybe try a temporary color that shampoos out first to see how you like it.

akurah
July 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Seriously, don't henna, just don't. You'll be better off using conventional dye by far.

Jessclewlow
July 13th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Seriously, don't henna, just don't. You'll be better off using conventional dye by far.

really?! since when?

RavennaNight
July 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well I think it depends on your level of red-commitment. And I also think it's easy to go too dark but if you want to lighten it is a PITA. Because as it layers on month after month (or how often you do it) and gets darker each time.

ladystar
July 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I have been doing henna to my hair for a long time, and I love it! To each its own! Good luck!

Jessclewlow
July 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM
where do you get your henna from?

GlassEyes
July 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM
It'd be nice if you'd post your reasoning along with your denouncement. If you aren't going to, it might be better not to respond at all. I get what you mean, but that's not really helping the OP.

Truth is, henna is a commitment, and it really depends on how devoted you are to being red. Once you start, it's hard as hell to go back, but in the long run, it IS better for hair AND less damaging. However, it is easy to go dark (henna builds up because it is deposit-only in essence, so subsequent full head dyes make it darker each time), and it IS incredibly permanent. But that's only with many dyeings; often times, people will just start doing roots only after they reach a color they're happy with.

Also, it's more of an orange than a red, and depending on your natural/starting color, it could either be red, burgundy, or on lighter hair, orange.

It's best to read up on henna before taking the plunge. Nightshade has a lovely article on it in the articles section that I'll find and ink to, and hennaforhair.com has a lot of other information. If you can't handle the permanence, it's probably best to stick to conventional color. There is a deposit-only dye called Elumen which has some popularity on this site; you may look into it. Others include Pravana, but to achieve true colors with it, it does require bleaching. YMMV.

Article: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7

lora410
July 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM
It all depends how dark the red in your hair is now. I started with dark brown from lifting black dye and mine is fiery red in the sun but very dark in other light. I buy my henna from mehandi.com As said it is a commitment and rinsing can be time consuming. I leave mine on my head for 4 hrs and it takes 30 mins to rinse it out; and days after some still continues to wash out. I love it though and am thinkign of going with black using indigo to get black.

kdaniels8811
July 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I love henna - well, I actually use hendigo for my brownish red hair. No damage, incredible shine and it makes my fine hair thicker. What is not to love? With that said, I strand tested first and really thought about it because the only way to get rid of the red is to cut it off so it really is a committment. Visit the www.hennaforhair.com website, there is a free downloadable book telling you everything you ever wanted to know about henna, indigo, and cassia and how to mix to get the color you want.

It just depends, do you like to change your hair color? If so, do not use henna unless you are ok with cutting it all off to get rid of the color. Good luck in whatever you decide and let us know, with pictures, please! You can visit my album to see starting and ending color.

Nightshade
July 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Truth is, henna is a commitment, and it really depends on how devoted you are to being red. Once you start, it's hard as hell to go back, but in the long run, it IS better for hair AND less damaging. However, it is easy to go dark (henna builds up because it is deposit-only in essence, so subsequent full head dyes make it darker each time), and it IS incredibly permanent. But that's only with many dyeings; often times, people will just start doing roots only after they reach a color they're happy with.

Also, it's more of an orange than a red, and depending on your natural/starting color, it could either be red, burgundy, or on lighter hair, orange.

It's best to read up on henna before taking the plunge. Nightshade has a lovely article on it in the articles section that I'll find and ink to, and hennaforhair.com has a lot of other information. If you can't handle the permanence, it's probably best to stick to conventional color. There is a deposit-only dye called Elumen which has some popularity on this site; you may look into it. Others include Pravana, but to achieve true colors with it, it does require bleaching. YMMV.

Article: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7

Well said, GlassEyes.

Jessclewlow, if you're aiming for the red that's in your avatar, you may find you have a very hard time getting that with henna. It'll always be orange in the sun, can go too dark, and is hard to get that vibrant in indirect or indoor lighting.

I also have to agree, when I read your first post that I had a similar reaction to akurah. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of henna, but when I see an OMGIWANTTODOSOMETHINGNOW!!! post it sends red flags up. Henna isn't something you rush into, and those of us who have been around a good while have seen enough "OMGHOWDOIGETMYHENNAOUT!?" threads come shortly enough after to be wary.

I vote to dye your hair with your normal method if you HAVE to do something right now, and give yourself that time to read and research if henna is a good next move for you. It's a serious long-term commitment, and it isn't something to do impulsively. :flowers:

kdaniels8811
July 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
What she said. Exactly!

redcelticcurls
July 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM

I realize it's different for everyone, but the above was true in my case. Henna was more drying on me then chemical dye ever was (yes, it was BAQ). I'll stick with the Wella!

Jessclewlow
July 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Well said, GlassEyes.

Jessclewlow, if you're aiming for the red that's in your avatar, you may find you have a very hard time getting that with henna. It'll always be orange in the sun, can go too dark, and is hard to get that vibrant in indirect or indoor lighting.

I also have to agree, when I read your first post that I had a similar reaction to akurah. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of henna, but when I see an OMGIWANTTODOSOMETHINGNOW!!! post it sends red flags up. Henna isn't something you rush into, and those of us who have been around a good while have seen enough "OMGHOWDOIGETMYHENNAOUT!?" threads come shortly enough after to be wary.

I vote to dye your hair with your normal method if you HAVE to do something right now, and give yourself that time to read and research if henna is a good next move for you. It's a serious long-term commitment, and it isn't something to do impulsively. :flowers:

hey to everyone who has replied :)
well.... it isnt a spare of the moment thought... its something ive been looking into for a year or so... i LOVE having red hair.. im just scared about the chemicals killing it thats the only thing. so have been looking into the options of henna as a more permenant look - without the killing of my hair ( hopefully) after all the discussion on here tho... i guess there is a risk of it having the same affect as the normal chemical ones anyways.... maybe i should just leave it grow untill im at least at a length i can live with and work from there :)
i guess it was more of an 'advice' thing i was looking for... but your right.. maybe i should just sit back and think about it alot more before taking the plunge as i like the red i currently have... my hair just dosnt seem to hold on to it for a vast amount of time :(

im off to do some research! fankoo every1 x ( once again)

redcelticcurls
July 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
hey to everyone who has replied :)
well.... it isnt a spare of the moment thought... its something ive been looking into for a year or so... i LOVE having red hair.. im just scared about the chemicals killing it thats the only thing. so have been looking into the options of henna as a more permenant look - without the killing of my hair ( hopefully) after all the discussion on here tho... i guess there is a risk of it having the same affect as the normal chemical ones anyways.... maybe i should just leave it grow untill im at least at a length i can live with and work from there :)
i guess it was more of an 'advice' thing i was looking for... but your right.. maybe i should just sit back and think about it alot more before taking the plunge as i like the red i currently have... my hair just dosnt seem to hold on to it for a vast amount of time :(

im off to do some research! fankoo every1 x ( once again)

That is the nature of chemical reds. It's a large molecule, and it can fade quickly. There are things I do to slow the fade, but it will fade eventually.

Kirin
July 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
really?! since when?

Since...... forever? LOL. Sorry thought I'd interject. At first I thought Henna was the bees knees......... that is, until the red wore on my nerves. Two bleach jobs, 3 stints of peroxide, and guess what? Its still red, and four inches shorter........ and did I mention, still red?

If you think you "may" get tempted to color your hair something other than red, don't do it, you will do way more damage removing henna, than you ever could with a simple one time chemical color.

Now, on the other side, if you adore red, if you are a redhead for life, then henna is for you! It is much better than chemical dyes if its all you are ever going to use.

wintersun99
July 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM

tarn
July 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
There's also a stack of pics of actual hennaed hair on the discussion boards which will help you to decide if you really DO want that shade of red. That was my starting point along with the henna for hair website before I took the plunge. It details the smell of henna (not for everyone) and the time consumption factor which is either a love or hate relationship. For this reason, most people tend to start off cautious and with henna glosses or strand testing. Certainly worth looking into though.

akurah
July 14th, 2009, 09:30 AM
really?! since when?

I've been dying my hair red for well over a decade, using conventional dyes, and for the past... Two or three years with henna. When I first found henna, I was stoked--I can dye my hair red and NOT risk fading or trashing it?

Now I have waist length hair (ignore my profile, I haven't updated it in forevers) full of henna that I am by and large displeased with. It's dark dark red (that I like) except in the sun, where it is flipping orange. Henna smells bad, and it makes my scalp itch. It takes forever to rinse, and it gives me a headache from the weight even if I do roots only. I have to keep it in my hair for many hours, usually 5+, to get close to the dark shade I want, and even then, it requires multiple applications for me to get it. It's the biggest pain in the ass and frankly I don't henna anymore. I plan to switch to elumen or some other dye.

And that's just ME. There are other members who have decided that henna wasn't for them, and in order to return to their natural color, they had to bleach and chop--just ask Rini or ShermieGirl.

Hell, there's at least one member whose love/hate relationship with henna has kept her at around shoulder the entire time I've been a member here, despite the fact that by all rights and reasons her hair should be longer than mine had she not henna'd it, then changed her mind, bleached it and cut it out, only to change her mind again and henna again, only to cut and bleach more. I'm not kidding.

Henna is a huge commitment, it's as permanent as anything on most folk. Even Nightshade, our resident henna guru, has had difficulty with her henna being too dark and being unhappy with it herself, though fortunately she found a solution to her problem.

By and large, for most people, even people who dye their hair red and have been ever since they were teens, henna is not worth the hassle.

Nightshade
July 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
There's also a stack of pics of actual hennaed hair on the discussion boards which will help you to decide if you really DO want that shade of red. That was my starting point along with the henna for hair website before I took the plunge. It details the smell of henna (not for everyone) and the time consumption factor which is either a love or hate relationship. For this reason, most people tend to start off cautious and with henna glosses or strand testing. Certainly worth looking into though.

Be careful with those pictures. I know a lot of people go to the H4H mixes and pick a color, but it isn't like going to the store and looking at the colors on boxed dyes. Henna varies SO much in different lights, what looks awesome and the perfect color in one photo is going to look like the drab-man-that-looks-brown photo indoors that you decided you didn't like.

<snip>

And that's just ME. There are other members who have decided that henna wasn't for them, and in order to return to their natural color, they had to bleach and chop--just ask Rini or ShermieGirl.

Hell, there's at least one member whose love/hate relationship with henna has kept her at around shoulder the entire time I've been a member here, despite the fact that by all rights and reasons her hair should be longer than mine had she not henna'd it, then changed her mind, bleached it and cut it out, only to change her mind again and henna again, only to cut and bleach more. I'm not kidding.

Henna is a huge commitment, it's as permanent as anything on most folk. Even Nightshade, our resident henna guru, has had difficulty with her henna being too dark and being unhappy with it herself, though fortunately she found a solution to her problem.

By and large, for most people, even people who dye their hair red and have been ever since they were teens, henna is not worth the hassle.

Amen to that. I think henna is awesome... for about 10-15% of the people that give it a go. You have to be willing to accept a few things to be a henna lifer:

The application process is longer, more time consuming, and more uncomfortable than dye. For some people like me, this is okay, I treat it like a mini-spa, of others it is an epic pain in the ass.
You can develop an allergy to henna, just like you can dye. This has happened to a few members, not the majority, but something to consider.
You are SCREWED if you want to change your hair color. Honestly, if you have had a color in your hair other than red for the last 10 years, really consider if you want the epic commitment that is henna. With rare, rare exception you will destroy your hair getting henna out. There's the rare bird that it fades on, and the rarer case of someone online that got their henna out with some mystical method that they never describe in full so it could be tested or reproduced, but these may as well be unicorns. Henna, for the most part, is not coming out without scissors.
You are not going to get your perfect red. I managed to get *closer* to mine with a better blend of cassia and henna and had to lighten the length with Sun-In (which went well, thank the gods). I'm lucky that the coppery color looks coppery indoors. Many people that want RED RED find that their hair looks brown indoors and orange in the sunlight. In that case, one is almost better off using a deposit-only dye to keep the red color refreshed after a dye job.
You may well lose your wave or curl. Or, if that's what you're hoping for, you may not. Never works out the way you want :lol:I could go on, but yeah... I love henna, I know I'm in it for the long haul, but it's not for everyone, not because it's some exclusive club, but because henna will just not produce the results most people want. :twocents:

Heidi_234
July 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM
You are SCREWED if you want to change your hair color. Honestly, if you have had a color in your hair other than red for the last 10 years, really consider if you want the epic commitment that is henna. With rare, rare exception you will destroy your hair getting henna out. There's the rare bird that it fades on, and the rarer case of someone online that got their henna out with some mystical method that they never describe in full so it could be tested or reproduced, but these may as well be unicorns. Henna, for the most part, is not coming out without scissors.
You are not going to get your perfect red. I managed to get *closer* to mine with a better blend of cassia and henna and had to lighten the length with Sun-In (which went well, thank the gods). I'm lucky that the coppery color looks coppery indoors. Many people that want RED RED find that their hair looks brown indoors and orange in the sunlight. In that case, one is almost better off using a deposit-only dye to keep the red color refreshed after a dye job.
You may well lose your wave or curl. Or, if that's what you're hoping for, you may not. Never works out the way you want :lol:

These 3 are so so true! Can you feel my pain? :lol:
But don't get me wrong, I still love henna and consider it a miracle such plant even exists.

Nightshade
July 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
These 3 are so so true! Can you feel my pain? :lol:
But don't get me wrong, I still love henna and consider it a miracle such plant even exists.

Oh, I understand. Despite the hassle it took me to get me close to my ideal shade, the fact that the roots fade until I do them a second time, that it messed with my wave and I messed up and went to dark and had to lighten it a bit...

Wouldn't put anything else on my hair :lol:

Heidi_234
July 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Oh, I understand. Despite the hassle it took me to get me close to my ideal shade, the fact that the roots fade until I do them a second time, that it messed with my wave and I messed up and went to dark and had to lighten it a bit...

Wouldn't put anything else on my hair :lol:
Oh lol, don't get me started on the fading roots. :lol: (I think we are scaring possible future hennaheads away now :laugh:)
But I've got to admit I like seeing new virgin roots, maybe because in the back of my head it means "henna-day coming soon!", so I've developed positive association to them? :ponder:

redcelticcurls
July 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
On me, henna felt like a permanent protein treatment that never went away. My hair strands felt as if they got larger, and not in a good way.

I didn't expect it to be drying with all of the conditioning effects touted. But, I guess things work differently for everyone.

Nightshade
July 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
On me, henna felt like a permanent protein treatment that never went away. My hair strands felt as if they got larger, and not in a good way.

I didn't expect it to be drying with all of the conditioning effects touted. But, I guess things work differently for everyone.

That can happen. I've noticed that if I have my hair in a bun it's very smooth in the "right" direction if I pet it, but backwards it's VERY grabby. Henna does strange things.

redcelticcurls
July 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
That can happen. I've noticed that if I have my hair in a bun it's very smooth in the "right" direction if I pet it, but backwards it's VERY grabby. Henna does strange things.

I do find it interesting to see how there can be so much variance from one head of hair to the next!

C_Bookworm
July 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
As many others have said, henna is a much bigger commitment than conventional dye. Conventional dye fades on its own, or if you want to get it out fast, there are products like color oops or color fix. I have used color fix and was really happy with the results.

However, conventional dye will damage your hair. There is no getting around it. There are some here that use chemical dye and baby their hair, and to be honest their hair looks fantastic. Sorry, I can't think of names off the top of my head,but a quick search should turn up some.

Henna is practically impossible to remove.:mad: There is a henna removal thread on the archived forums that shows all the various experiments people tried. Lighten henna, yes. Remove henna, no.

On the other hand, if you are committed to red, henna is awesome. It makes growing out faster, because it coats the hair and this really minimizes damage. When i henna, i trim maybe every 6 months, and even then have no split ends, just trying to even up my hemline. You don't have to worry about PPD allergic reactions with henna (believe me, developing a hair dye reaction is a pain-you have to be careful afterward about things other than dye, for instance certain pain killers doctors and dentists use).

Henna doesn't fade like conventional hair dye. :cheese: It looks fantastic in the sun and makes hair nice and shiny. You can add indigo if you decide red isn't for you and want to go more brown. You can lighten henna if it gets too dark. (honey, yogurt, and nightshade has a great thread on sun-in)

The henna for hair site has a great thread on what questions to ask yourself before you henna. It really helped me decide if henna was for me or not.

TokyoPink
July 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Have you thought of a vegetable-based dye like special effects or manic panic? They're semi-permanent so its not a huge commitment, and at the same time they're non-damaging and its easier to get a specific colour out of them, so there's less chance of disappointment :)