PDA

View Full Version : Connection between blood donation and shedding?

Hay22
July 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
This may sound weird, but is there a connection between blood donation and hair shedding?

I donated blood Saturday morning and when I showered that night TONS of hair came out. I had expected to have more loose hairs than usual since I had worn my hair up since Thursday, but this was crazy. As in, enough hair to make a coat for a chihuahua. :p

I had also started taking new dietary supplements Friday (the day before) so I'm not sure which caused this shed and was just wondering if anyone had experienced this after donating or blood loss.

Fractalsofhair
July 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Donating blood could cause a minor shock to your system and cause some shedding, but honestly, the benefits to society of donating blood are far worth the risk of shedding. However, you may want to be extra gentle to your hair and body for a few days after donating blood!

Hay22
July 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM
This was only my second time donating, but I knew that my body felt awful all day after the first time. Never thought about the hair thing, though! However, I still feel great about doing it and it definitely won't stop me from going again in 8 weeks.

Anlbe
July 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Never had any shedding due to blood donation, but then I've never noticed any side effects.

s_tresses
July 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
YES, definetely. I am always trying to donate blood. The first few times I tried, my hemoglobin wasn't right and the nurses told me it was because I probably didn't have breakfast, which I usually don't.

I tried again and the nurse said it was a little low but I could still donate and I did. I was experiencing shedding before this happened and it got worse. I knew my iron levels were a little low and my physician had told me to take some iron supplements but I thought it wasnt anything severe so I didnt and I had completely forgotten. The shedding got worse and I didnt put 2 and 2 together.

Later, I changed my physician and had a blood test done because the fatigue and shedding were really bothering me and I was diagnosed with anemia and the iron levels were pretty low.

I can now see bald patches and they dont seem to get any better.

I agree with fractalsofhair, when my condition gets better the first thing I'll do is donate blood. So to answer your question, just make sure you do not have any underlying condition before you donate blood which could cause harm to you. A little shedding is normal and you shouldnt worry.