PDA

View Full Version : HOW do you sleep on a hairdo and wear it the next day??

nmarie33
July 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I've read here that a lot of people have the ability to make a braid or bun, sleep on it, and then wear it around the next day. My question is, how do you manage to do this without being a fuzz head? Do you sleep on your face or something? Because I have tried putting my hair up every which way before bed, and even though I barely move during the night, when I wake up I am :afro::afro::afro:!

nicolezoie
July 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I've read here that a lot of people have the ability to make a braid or bun, sleep on it, and then wear it around the next day. My question is, how do you manage to do this without being a fuzz head? Do you sleep on your face or something? Because I have tried putting my hair up every which way before bed, and even though I barely move during the night, when I wake up I am :afro::afro::afro:!

I think it helps if your hair is super long (which is the case for me) and using a soft boar-bristle brush to smooth back the frizz. That's what I do at least.

JamieLeigh
July 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Well - my hair isn't "SUPER" long, but it's top of thigh, so I'll comment anyway. ;) If it's heavily oiled, I can do just fine with a bun or braid - but I only do it right before a wash day. And like nicolezoie said above, just use a BBB to smooth out anything near your scalp that escapes during the night. :)

rach
July 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
i have similar problem, my shorter hair which have a short terminal length spout out , especially the temple area hairs (my facial bags integrate in my hair and rarely fall out). so it's not had anything to do with the cut of my hair. sometimes i have a headband thing like -

http://i.ebayimg.com/24/!BV2qtNQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLlu)UgBKUnEP83wQ~~_2.JPG

i'm a light twitchy sleeper so i'm very prone to this problem :rolleyes:

which if i want braid waves in the morning is useful.

helps the nonehttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/afro.gif look :D

rach
July 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM
boar-bristle brush - i must try and invest in one of those. which isn't a dog brush (yes i use a dog brush :rolleyes:).

Pierre
July 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
After wearing a pair of braids for four days straight, I am indeed a fuzzhead. But the second day I'm not. I'm not sure what my secret is, but here are some possibilities:
*I oil. I usually oil in the mornings, but I don't wash it out, so it's still in when I go to bed.
*I sleep with a Buff to protect my hair from rolling around.
*The period of my curl is about the same as the period of my braids, when I do two braids. So I braid one day, stopping 10-15 cm from the ends, then sleep on it so that the hairs align with the braid. Then I sometimes finish the braid the next day, and it stays for a few more days without anything holding it.

windinherhair
July 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I don't wear my hair up at night and keep it that way for the next day.... but I do remember when I had my hair done for the wedding in the U.S., I managed to sleep on it and wear it the next day for our trip to New York City. The only way I think my hair stayed the way it did with all the curls was from the loads of hairspray that the lady used on it. I wouldn't recommend that all the time. :)

Themyst
July 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I can't do it - I sometimes sleep in a bun and keep it in the next day but I look frazzled.

http://themysteriouslady.com/messybun.jpg

This is an example!

Longlocks3
July 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I can't wear any hair style to bed and have it look good enough to wear the next day. But then again, I am updo-tarded.

I think it would take a fair amount of oil, some sort of covering on your hair and a well thought sleeping position.

masterofmidgets
July 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I can't do it - I have a halo of fuzz around my face every morning when I wake up, even with braids in. Maybe lots of oil? Or those people are just naturally quiet sleepers? I thrash around so much most of the time I wake up on a bare mattress because I pulled the sheet off in my sleep, which probably has a lot to do with it.

Amara
July 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I don't do braids - they get too fuzzy. But I do do high buns! If I wear a high bun to bed, I can wear it the next day if I want. Part of why is, I have little wispies that ALWAYS come down when I wear a high bun, it's just part of my "soft feminine look" (so I tell myself, not "unruly, frazzled look" like some might say :D), so if I wear a bun all day, or put it up and night and wear it the NEXT day... it ends up looking about the same either way. :)

nowxisxforever
July 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I can't wear any hair style to bed and have it look good enough to wear the next day. But then again, I am updo-tarded.

I think it would take a fair amount of oil, some sort of covering on your hair and a well thought sleeping position.

I can't do it either.

My hairtype is very fuzzy to begin with, so even if I do my hair in the morning I have to redo in the afternoon and at night, and I also have stopped wearing my hair contained to bed-- I just toss it over my pillow and it pools together above said pillow.

I do sometimes forego combing and just twist it up into my locked bee-butt bun and shove a stick in it, but I usually end up combing it midday regardless. It looks about as fuzzy no matter when I comb it... lol :( I wish I had sleek hair that would let me not look like I rolled around in a pile of balloons.

LisaB234
July 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
No go here. . . It's not a fuzz issue for me but my fine hair is slippery. I do find, though, that if I sleep with my hair up and then let it down it's easier to put back up - AND I may not have to do much combing if any to get it smooth. So for me sleeping with it up is for protection and ease of restyling/knot prevention. I think if my hair had some wave or curl it might hold enough to be workable but not frizz?

Debra83
July 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
The ONLY way I would be able to sleep on a do and wear it the next day would be to sleep standing up.....ain't gonna happen!!!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 14th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I'm a stomach sleeper so I probably would be able to if my hair was all one length, but with my layers, the ends always stick out :(

MoonCreature
July 14th, 2009, 01:39 AM
My hair looks like a bird made a nest in it during the night, so I really can't come with any suggestions :p

Elainehali
July 14th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I've made intricate updos and slept on them to save time in the morning.

After I'm finished making my updo I put a pair of pantyhose on my head. and tie them on. Also sleeping with a slick silk/satin pillow helps make sure the pantyhose stay on my hair.

Then in the morning if there is a little hair out of place I rub some aloe on my hands and pat the stray hairs down. (This tames the hair without looking oily). I personally have trouble with over-oiling.

Poppy Seed
July 14th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Very interesting to read some solutions - I sleep with my hair in a plait, and while I could just wrap it in a bun the next day, I absolutely would not simply leave the house without re-doing!

I have way too many hairs which just delight in escaping overnight...I look like Medusa in the mornings!!

Moonstruck
July 15th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I can't do updos or much of anything with my hair, but I just wanted to chime in that the old-school geishas of Japan had that funny looking wood pillow to keep their head off the ground. They trained themselves to sleep perfectly like that, hahaha.

Probably a little more effort than what you're looking for, though. Haha.

myotislucifugus
July 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I can't get through a day without my braid(s) becoming furry disasters, although I have a friend with classic length hair that sort of slides her bun around. She has a jaw clip that holds a cinnabun all day, and then just gently slides it to the top of her head and reclips it with the jaw clip so she can sleep on the back of her head. In the morning she moves it back. I personally can't do it as I like to burrow under my pillows as I sleep, and I rip out hair.