PDA

View Full Version : I give up. Why is my lazy wrap crooked?

demitasse
July 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I love the lazy wrap bun. I followed the article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72) by savi and have worn it a lot for the past few weeks. Cinnabuns can be a little tricky because of the thickness of my hair; the twisting only gives me a coil and a half.

But every time I make it, it ends up slightly crooked on the back of my head. Instead of nice and centered like the picture and video show, mine is off to the right if you're looking at the back of my head. Common sense suggests I should start the bun slightly to the left of center but it ends up in the exact same spot.

This picture I took a couple weeks ago (in a mirror) shows the off-center wrap. Normally I wear a wooden stick and I get the exact same result.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3334&pictureid=42746

Has anyone else had this problem with the lazy wrap? Am I just being too nitpicky over it? :confused:

enfys
July 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I have the same problem, and my solution was to not wear it in public.

I hope we get a good answer!

coolbreeze212
July 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I LOVE the lazy wrap bun!!

When I start mine, I always hold it on the left b/c I'm right-handed. So I start it off-center, holding it more so to the left. By the time I'm done wrapping and putting my stick/fork through, it's centered.

HTH!!:)

ETA: I re-read and see that you've tried to start off-center before, and it made no difference. Maybe you're not starting off-center enough....it always works for me. Maybe someone else will have some thoughts.

nowxisxforever
July 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM

When I start mine, I always hold it on the left b/c I'm right-handed. So I start it off-center, holding it more so to the left. By the time I'm done wrapping and putting my stick/fork through, it's centered.

That's a good idea!

demitasse
July 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM

ETA: I re-read and see that you've tried to start off-center before, and it made no difference. Maybe you're not starting off-center enough....it always works for me. Maybe someone else will have some thoughts.

Thanks for the (super fast) help. You're right, I wasn't starting far enough off-center. I was trying it about half an inch to the left—I'm a righty too. Tried it again so I was starting practically behind my left ear and I got a perfectly centered wrap. I guess it just seemed bizarre to me to have to start something so far over like that.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had this problem. I was kind of expecting pointing and laughing. :)

coolbreeze212
July 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the (super fast) help. You're right, I wasn't starting far enough off-center. I was trying it about half an inch to the left—I'm a righty too. Tried it again so I was starting practically behind my left ear and I got a perfectly centered wrap. I guess it just seemed bizarre to me to have to start something so far over like that.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had this problem. I was kind of expecting pointing and laughing. :)

You're welcome! I used to have the same problem! Glad you got it!
:)

manderly
July 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I think what I wear is a lazy wrap bun, but I do it completely different from the directions :D

Here's how I do it, you can try and see if it help you:

Make a pony
Wrap base over & around 2 fingers from the hand that's holding the pony
Wrap the length down and around your anchoring hand as much as you need to wrap all the way to the ends
Poke your stick between your 2 fingers inside the loop of hair, grab scalp hair and revers direction of stick under the center of the bun, then again up over the loop on the opposite side :)

I've been meaning to make a video and ask if it was a lazy wrap and offer it as an optional way to make it :)

masterofmidgets
July 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Ha, my lazy wraps are almost always off-center the first time I do them. Starting more to the left helps get them straight, but if that doesn't work, then I can sometimes get it even by switching which hand I wrap it around (I'm a rightie). If all else fails...I just leave it and figure no one else will be looking close enough to notice!

manderly
July 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Another thing that can help is to anchor the first poke further (left or right, whichever way you do it) than you think you should before doing your second poke. It helps pull the bun over.

Or vice versa depending on which direction your bun is being pulled.

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Start it a little off-center to compensate. I have to do that with my infinity bun, too.