PDA

View Full Version : It's growing fast, but looks terrible :(

muuserid
July 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I am so frustrated with my hair!! I've been on LHC for a little over 6 months now and have made lots of changes to my routine. Its been growing really fast, which I know is no small victory, but it looks awful! I don't even want long hair if it's going to look like this. It's dry and frizzy and dull. It looks like I barely take care of it at all. I went from daily washing and blow drying to washing every 2-3 days and blow drying maybe once a month, if that. I oil every couple days, and do SMT's every couple weeks. I also use Fox's conditioning cream daily. I just don't get it. The quality of my hair does not seem to be improving at all. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions for my routine?

manderly
July 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Well, I have no idea your hairtype, nor your previous routine (did you use silicones?) compared to your current routine.

Also, if you could share a photo, that's really helpful, as sometimes we are our own worst critics and see a problem where there isn't one.

It could also be that you aren't used to your "natural" hair, and it may be a little curlier/wavier than you think it is, hence the frizz (treating it like it's straight).

But these are all assumptions at this point :)

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
If you've made "lots of changes" to your routine, I wonder about all the potentially unhealthy things you were doing before, and how long you had done them? 6 months might just not be enough to undo all the damage from previous habits. Try to be patient. :) After about a year suddenly my hair was WAY happier and healthier and better looking, but during that first year I didn't see any drastic change, except it grew faster. :)

Good luck!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM
some more information about your hair and routine would help :) it could be your lacking protein or moisture, that you need a trim, that you have some build up, that whatever you are using to wash isn't working, etc :flower:

Roseate
July 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hmm, what's your length and hairtype? What was the last routine you were happy with?

If you had damage from blowdrying and then went off cones, sometimes that can cause the damage to show more than it does on cones.

muuserid
July 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Ok, more info about my routine:

I am a 1c/f/thin. Unfortunately my only Internet access is an iPhone, so I don't think I can upload a photo with that. I will see if a friend can let me use his computer.

I've been using non-cone shampoo and conditioners now for a couple years, but the styling products I've used in the past have had cones. For the last 7-8 months I've mostly air dried, using a blow dryer once every month or so. For 3-4 years prior to that I blow dried 4-5 times a week. When I started on LHC I had a bob and absolutely loved my hair. It was shiny and sleek. As it's grown these past several months it's gotten duller and frizzier. This has happened in the past too, even when I've been doing 'bad' things to my hair; as it moves past shoulders it gets increasingly shabby looking, which then leads me to chopping it off. I just thought that this time, what with the oilings, decreased washing, etc that I could avoid this result. It seems to me that it should look at least a BIT more moisturizer and shiny. I was loving it for several weeks about a month or so ago, so maybe it does just need a trim.

Nypsy
July 12th, 2009, 04:01 PM
If you haven't been doing these things already, try only combing your hair with a wide toothed, seamless comb, don't touch your hair at all when it's wet (aside from washing it, conditioning it, etc.), and use an ACV rinse after you wash your hair.

zen_oven
July 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
It's very possible that you are growing out damage. Did you used to chemically color or perm?

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
honestly, I would stop blow drying, and are you using anything as a leave-in? you might try aloe and oil, or some of the other fabulous leave ins here on the board... and it might just be that your hair likes cones..?

Moonstruck
July 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
It sounds like you've really turned your routine around. I'd also say that it might just be damage that's growing out.

Maybe you could try a different conditioner or something? I know you've already been doing a LOT for your hair. I'd also try something like an acid rinse (I LOVE how vinegar makes my hair gleam). Cones usually weigh down the hair a bit and make it shinier, so until your hair adjusts to being like this, it might need a bit of help to make it stay down and shinier. The vinegar rinses really help with that.
Also, have you ever tried clarifying? I'd consider doing that, then an SMT to replenish the moisture. It might be that it's dry and frizzy because there's still some buildup/residue on it left over from the cones. However, if the clarification doesn't work the first time, I wouldn't try it multiple times - they can be stripping and damaging in and of themselves.

Debra83
July 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well, I have no idea your hairtype, nor your previous routine (did you use silicones?) compared to your current routine.

Also, if you could share a photo, that's really helpful, as sometimes we are our own worst critics and see a problem where there isn't one.

It could also be that you aren't used to your "natural" hair, and it may be a little curlier/wavier than you think it is, hence the frizz (treating it like it's straight).

But these are all assumptions at this point :)

I can vouch for the fighting the "natural" hair thingy.

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Another thing - if you were liking your hair as recently as a month ago, like you said, you might just be patient. I had a crappy hair month about 6 months ago for no reason I could figure out. Experiment a bit, but don't panic. It'll work itself out.

RancheroTheBee
July 12th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I've been here for about six months and I still only have about one good hair day a month, and my hair is in fantastic condition ever since I trimmed off all the damage.

I found CWC helps a lot, as does airdrying as much as possible. Try marking down days you heat style on your calender, as it makes you want to do it less. It really works!

Melisande
July 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Don't forget, even if your hair grows fast, your will have to put up with old damage for quite some time. The hair that is growing past your shoulders now was treated with silicones and blowdried regularly. It may well be that at one stage, it will have to go. Do you have split ends? white dots?

How is your nutrition? Can your body sprout healthy hair from the nutritients you eat? Do you drink enough water? How is your scalp?

Clarifying, as others have said, is worth trying. You may be carrying around stubborn old buildup from stying products.

Shampoo: maybe you didn't find your ideal shampoo yet? Maybe you switched to a shampoo your hair doesn't like? Look at the detergent it contains and other ingredients. YOu can make every shampoo gentler by diluting it and/or adding conditioner to it.

I find it helps when I mix oil and conditioner and put it on the lengths of my hair for ca. one hour before I wash my hair. Lately, deep oilings are even better, but it took my hair two years to tolerate so much oil. Try to find the oil your hair loves most, and try to find out how it wants the oil: on wet, dry or misted hair? Putting some oil and much distilled water in a mister is a good way of distributing a tiny amount of oil in your hair. If you add hydrolyzed what protein and keratin, your hair may like it even better.

The HALO rinse or a simple rinse with citric acid or catnip helps against frizz and makes the hair shinier.

What about mechanical damage - your pillow, chair etc?

Did you read Nightshade's article about babying damaged hair back to health? Maybe there are some useful informations in there for you.

It may take time until you see the difference in your hair - the hair you see now is still damaged. Be patient, and I can promise you that you WILL see a difference. It takes month to find a good routine, and it takes longer to see the effects of it.

Vrushali
July 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Have you used a clarifying shampoo to remove all the build-up before you started making changes to your routine?

RavennaNight
July 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Ok, more info about my routine:

I am a 1c/f/thin. Unfortunately my only Internet access is an iPhone, so I don't think I can upload a photo with that. I will see if a friend can let me use his computer.

I've been using non-cone shampoo and conditioners now for a couple years, but the styling products I've used in the past have had cones. For the last 7-8 months I've mostly air dried, using a blow dryer once every month or so. For 3-4 years prior to that I blow dried 4-5 times a week. When I started on LHC I had a bob and absolutely loved my hair. It was shiny and sleek. As it's grown these past several months it's gotten duller and frizzier. This has happened in the past too, even when I've been doing 'bad' things to my hair; as it moves past shoulders it gets increasingly shabby looking, which then leads me to chopping it off. I just thought that this time, what with the oilings, decreased washing, etc that I could avoid this result. It seems to me that it should look at least a BIT more moisturizer and shiny. I was loving it for several weeks about a month or so ago, so maybe it does just need a trim.

*sorry to hijack, fellow iphone user here*

1. Email your pics to your photobucket
2. Resize in photobucket so they aren't ginormous
3. Link pic in your post by clicking the little picture icon

The only pita is that you have to write down the link, unless you have the new (are you a lucky ducky :D) iphone and can copy & paste!

muuserid
July 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I was so down about my hair yesterday, but reading everyone's posts has given me new resolve to just keep at it. I just need to get back into detective mode and figure out what my hair is liking/not liking. I think I definitely need to step up the vinegar rinses and clarifying shampoos. Right now I only do each of these things once every couple months when it occurs to me. I'm also going to try a protein treatment--I've never done one before, so I really have no clue if my hair likes it or not. My diet has also been really poor lately, so I guess that's got to go on the list, too. It's funny, I feel like I've been workng so hard and doing so much, but really I've been all over the board with my experiments and I realize now there's still so much I haven't tried. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble now, but at least I'm feeling renewed enthusiasm for this whole process, so many thanks to everyone.

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Just want to add that if your hair is fine AND thinnish then it will be even more important to treat it very kindly such as detangling VERY carefully, stopping the heat etc. I don't have fine hair but I have seen many fine-hairs here have the same problems you are describing as hair grows out. Fine hair seems to need much more delicate treatment than other types of hair. I would say handle it as little as possible and wear updos as much as possible, stopping all heat and TIME. Trim a bit as you go if you need to to get rid of any old damage. Protect it from the sun and elements and happy growing!!!

Niphredil
July 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
You say you are growing out from a bob?
If it looks terrible to you know, maybe the remaining bob shape isn't working at your current length anymore? I've noticed that above BSL, a somewhat wacky shape is really noticable, while past BSL it doesn't matter much really because it is a lot easier to hide when it is longer.

Or is it really the look and feel of your hair that is bothering you? If so, I'd read Ursula's standard newbie advice (it is in the articles), and focus on her explanation on experimenting and changing one's routine.
Trying a lot of things at once usually don't help at all.

But then again, it could very well be just damaged hair that won't cooperate any longer. If so, then there probably is just one remedy left to try....