PDA

View Full Version : Hm..don't know what I'm doing wrong

AddiesMom13
July 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
My hair routine isn't impressing me. Bascially this is my method:
II wash my hair every day in the summer with a nickle size dollop of shampoo on the scalp only, rinse in warm water. Then a quarter size dollop, on the scalp only and rinse in cool water. (I read about that method on the Morrocan Method website) I then follow with a good amount of conditioner, which I rinse in cool water. After showering I mix a milk lotion and coconut oil and put into my towel dried hair. I then let it air dry. When it's just damp I add a mix of conditioning mousse and defrizz serum. My hair feels great for the first 5-8 inches or so..then it's a frizzy, dry mess. No idea why. Oh btw it's thinning on the crown! I think it's because I used to tie my hair up all the time, and didn't treat it very well...

I know I'm using products with cones and sls in it, which I plan to change as soon as I can afford the more expensive 'natural' products.
Any one know of where I can find a website that has ideas on making your own products? That might be cheaper for me...
Anything else I can do to help my poor hair?

Thanks!

Periwinkle
July 12th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Have you clarified?

AddiesMom13
July 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure what clarifying entails....

Laurel32
July 12th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Is it possible that your hair is growing out damage? I have around 4 inches of virgin hair that is smooth and frizz free compared to the rest of my damaged hair that is frizzy (especially after wash day) thinner and doesn't look the best.

Rohele
July 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure what clarifying entails....

Clarifying is just removing hair product buildup from your hair. I use Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo, but any silicone free sls shampoo would probably work.

longhairedfairy
July 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM
It seems that you're doing kind of a lot of stuff to it every day.

ETA: You're not "scrubbing" your hair dry with the towel are you?

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM
You might try coating the length with some conditioner before you do the shampoo scalp washes, to protect it. My hair likes that a lot. :)

krissykins
July 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I know I'm using products with cones and sls in it, which I plan to change as soon as I can afford the more expensive 'natural' products.

A lot of people here (including myself) find that cheap brands like Suave, VO5, and White Rain work quite well for them.

I suggest looking at these articles:

Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)
Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)
To Cone or Not to Cone (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13)

They have helped me a lot :)

Fencai
July 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I agree with the others... seems like you have a lot going on in your routine.
I would ease up on so many "additives" and just shampoo once on the scalp (do the CWC method) and then add just some coconut oil to the ends.
First clarify. You can get a clarifying shampoo, or make one with baking soda. Just search around the forums and you'll find recipes.

There's a lot of info, and the person above me posted some great links.

Welcome to LHC!

Roseate
July 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
My hair routine isn't impressing me. Bascially this is my method:
II wash my hair every day in the summer with a nickle size dollop of shampoo on the scalp only, rinse in warm water. Then a quarter size dollop, on the scalp only and rinse in cool water...

Hmm, is your scalp very oily? If you are washing every day, lathering twice seems excessive, unless you have an extremely oily scalp. I'd try CWC first, it's described in one of the newbie articles linked above, doesn't require any new products and can help protect your dry length.

Any one know of where I can find a website that has ideas on making your own products? That might be cheaper for me...

Conefree conditioners are very cheap (suave naturals, vo5), and great for CO-washing. Those brands' shampoos do have SLS though. If you are near a Trader Joes, they have some inexpensive SLS free poos that some members like a lot.

We have a board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21) here that discusses many natural alternatives and recipes. Keep in mind that the trial-and-error period of learning to mix your own stuff can be way more costly than Suave! ;P

Ursula
July 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
What was the last routine (that you can remember) that you were happy with?

Even if it isn't a "good" routine, according to all the ideas you pick up reading about hair.

I'd say to go back to that, for at least a few weeks. Get to a basline you can trust.

You don't need expensive products. I haven't bought anything more expensive than Suave Naturals conditioner or VO5 conditioners in a couple of years.

I wrote an article a while back called "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice." It's in the articles section here. It is based on observations I've made of new members here for several years, and their experiences and experiments. You might find it useful, others have.

coolbreeze212
July 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
You've gotten some good advice to start with....I just wanted to welcome you to LHC! :waving: