PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying, build up, IHW, SLS free...

HotRag
July 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I think I have gotten some build up.
Ends feels dryer and coarser.

I do pre oil enough. And I use SLS-free shampoo every second wash.

I got very soft ends when I washed them direct with my SLS-free shampoo, but then they got very dry (fixed easily by oil though).

Maybe I should use IHW once a month instead, and/or just on scalp (as one do when hennaing roots).

Question is, how to clean ends from build up, and prevent build up, without drying them? I won't use anything alkaline.

Can oil in any way cause build up (except a film of oil that is)?

Maybe I should make a "ends and length shampoo" that contains no herb infusions, and that is very mild and moisturizing.
And have another shampoo for scalp, with herb infusions and so on.

Soapnut liquid didn't clean my scalp enough with it's hard sebum.

I think scalp is the part that has most benefits from herbs, or?
Lengths could like methi sometimes, and oil, but not mucilage every time and the finest powder that seems to bind with oil and build up.
I use herb oils like Pune's mahabhringaraj, that should give my scalp benefits enough, I think...

How do you clean hair mildly without getting build ups?

manderly
July 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I think the oil is to blame. I would get buildup that I could liken to the tacky gunk you get around an oil bottle. I'm also an oil junkie.

I would suggest just using a DT after clarifying instead of lots of oil. It will help your ends.

Go back to oiling as before, but maybe limit your super heavy oilings or pre-wash oilings and see if that helps.

HotRag
July 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I think the oil is to blame. I would get buildup that I could liken to the tacky gunk you get around an oil bottle. I'm also an oil junkie.

I would suggest just using a DT after clarifying instead of lots of oil. It will help your ends.

Go back to oiling as before, but maybe limit your super heavy oilings or pre-wash oilings and see if that helps.
Thank you. Tacky gunk... This must be worse with some oils than others. It sounds like what happens with drying oils like walnut oil or linseed oil (from the herb, not the seeds).

But what is DT?

HotRag
July 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Hmm... got to think about, are there any thread about which oils can cause more build up than other?
Or someone knows and can write it here?

I will hold my eye on the bottle caps though, to see what happens with the oil around the (screw)threads.

manderly
July 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
DT is a deep treatment (like SMT)

What oil do you use?? Have you ever seen the inside of the lid of EVOO? It's all gummy. Yuck.

Roseate
July 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Also, coconut oil does have some protein, which causes buildup-like problems for some.

HotRag
July 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
DT is a deep treatment (like SMT)

What oil do you use?? Have you ever seen the inside of the lid of EVOO? It's all gummy. Yuck.
Yeee, I have seen EVOO, that's why I do not use that. It feels not nice. And smells not nice. (Avocado do not smell nice either, but seems good for the hair, absorbs well.)

I use:
- avocado (green), absorbs great
- rice bran, absorbs great
- camellia japonica, absorbs great

- sesame oil, gives shine and slip

- Pune's mahabhringaraj or Hesh bhringraj on scalp.

I wash with Indian herbs every second time, and I feel like the powders bind to the oil if it doesn't get it ALL out.

Now I remember when I washed "too much" with SLS free shampoo, it became dry, but ends were sooo soft. I oiled it for condition.

As for DT, I don't really know what to use. I don't like conditioner any more, but maybe on my lengths it would be OK (don't want it on scalp, or cause build up).
Could just oil on damp hair give condition? Or is it the humectant I should have from DT as well (and waxy stuff from conditioner)?

My scalp did not like CO, so I gave up on that. My scalp loves IHW and my home made SLS free shampoo.

manderly
July 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Oil is different from moisture. It is more like a sealer, sealing in any moisture rather than adding any.

You could definitely do an SMT and avoid the scalp. It's the AVG, honey, and conditioner all combined together that add lots of moisture :) You can then seal that up with oil when you rinse if you want.

HotRag
July 13th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Oil is different from moisture. It is more like a sealer, sealing in any moisture rather than adding any.
I thought of oiling damp to try to keep the moisture.

You could definitely do an SMT and avoid the scalp. It's the AVG, honey, and conditioner all combined together that add lots of moisture :) You can then seal that up with oil when you rinse if you want.
I have done it with yogurt since I did not want conditioner, but I can't get it to not smell sour yogurt anymore :mad: And I don't know if it's of any use to do before washing.

I wonder if there is something I can do for DT that has no mucilage, no smelly yogurt (after wash) and no waxy stuff (as in conditioners). Maybe (when used on ends only) a thin plain conditioner is best to hold the other stuff after all...

I have loads of conditioner (that I bought when I was CO) so I can try them anyway.

HotRag
July 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM
An update.

I soaked my hair in low fat coconut milk for an hour.
Then washed carefully (even ends) with decyl glucose shampoo that contained no infusions or so, just water, oils, thickener and decyl glucose.

Then did catnip treatment.

Last, I rinsed with ACV (1 TB in 500 ml water, had pH 4,5). I rinsed it out with water since my hair do not like too much acidic stuff.

My hair became really soft.
A bit dry though, but I oiled it away with camellia oil. Maybe I can put even more oil in my shampoo, or try low fat coconut milk soak as after treatment.
What a difference from those build up ends I had before.

And good that I did not need anything alkaline like SLS or bicarbonate.

EDIT: My new pic from 2009 in my sig pic, is from when my hair had dried after this clarifying wash. Just finger combing very gentle, and I got a lot of waves :)