PDA

View Full Version : How Is It? (this is a rant)

fae
July 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
When I search the interwebs or something like youtube for a long hair tutorial or updo, it's always people with shoulder length hair?

How can that even be consider long? People must know that some people can and do grow their hair out much longer than that.

It's the same in a salon. When you look in one of the idea books under "long hair" it's never really longer than past shoulder blades.

I know the rules have been changed here with so many of us with say hip length or longer.

I can't do a lot of the stuff I find on youtube and random google searches because I simply have a foot or more of hair.

It's so frustrating.

/rant

SimplyViki
July 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I think the idea must be that if your hair extends past a picture of your face, it's long. :shrug: It never made much sense to me either, looking at those "long" hair styles.

Angela_Rose
July 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
They're missing out on so much, those conventionally-named "longhairs." We should make our own book.

fae
July 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM
That is an awesome idea, and I mean really Angela Rose.

Maybe a fundraiser for LHC?

Just a thought.

Angela_Rose
July 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
That is an awesome idea, and I mean really Angela Rose.

Maybe a fundraiser for LHC?

Just a thought.
Hey, it couldn't hurt, right? Why not look into it? We've got *plenty* of excruciatingly talented up-do artists here, many of whom have a *lot* of hair to work with. :cheese:

fae
July 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know anything about the specifics of putting a book together. Or how much one would need to layout financially to accomplish that.

Maybe someone who has experience with that will come along and say it's like this and it's not that hard or forgetaboutit its not even worth it.

But having a book would be nice. And I know there is that one guy (his name escapes me at present) has some long hair updos books available on amazon. But the price is a bit much. The last time I looked I think they were asking for about 60 dollars for a used book that was from the 90's. Forgive me if my facts are wrong. I just know that I don't buy the book because it seems it's not worth the money they ask for it.

Merewen
July 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
That. Would. Be. AWESOME! I would definitely buy that.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
They're missing out on so much, those conventionally-named "longhairs." We should make our own book.

We should.

Quixii
July 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, that annoys me too. If you Google "long hair," you hardly get anything I would consider long hair. I mean, I wouldn't consider it short hair, but to me, long hair is just something.. more.

I totally agree with making a book. That sounds like so much fun! In my (hopefully not temporary) dreams of becoming a photographer, I would love to take pictures for it. :)

fae
July 11th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Or it is obviously a ****** video.

Or it's a professional hair stylist.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Also, another aside: I think our Articles section could use some more articles! I added one recently. I say this because when I run across wannabe-longhairs or people thinking long hair isn't versatile or people who wear their long hair down all the time and wonder why it breaks off... I link them to our articles section!

If we work on fleshing that out a bit, we can go from there to - if we want - a long hair styling site or book.

Themyst
July 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I take my son to the salon for his flattop. While waiting, I always leap through the 'long hair' styling books to get some ideas and am always disappointed. It's not long hair, it's usually APL hair or BSL at the longest. WTH??

There are so many updos that can be done with very long hair, bang/fringe styles, cornrows, and other different styles. Everyone would want to look at 'the book'!

Rivanariko
July 11th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Yes! More articles! I keep hearing about articles that used to be on the old site and I'm really sad that I can't read them! I've learned so much from them already, but I know that there is SO much more wisdom among everyone here!

I think a book is a fantastic idea, also. I'd totally buy that.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I take my son to the salon for his flattop. While waiting, I always leap through the 'long hair' styling books to get some ideas and am always disappointed. It's not long hair, it's usually APL hair or BSL at the longest. WTH??

There are so many updos that can be done with very long hair, bang/fringe styles, cornrows, and other different styles. Everyone would want to look at 'the book'!

You forget, long hair doesn't make them any money because they can't sell us their horrible products and chop our hair off and perm it and and and.

It's not profitable for them to keep things out that we will then say "Oh, well, in that case I'll just let it grow!" is it?

It makes perfect business/industry sense, however much I hate it.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yes! More articles! I keep hearing about articles that used to be on the old site and I'm really sad that I can't read them! I've learned so much from them already, but I know that there is SO much more wisdom among everyone here!

I think a book is a fantastic idea, also. I'd totally buy that.

Oh I know, I know we must have more styles! It's just a matter of getting people to do them.

Perhaps if YouTube weren't so darn predominant... :P

mtstorm
July 11th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Actually publishing a self made book would be pretty easy. You can do it through companies like Lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com/)you just design the book upload it and you can order as many as you want or opt for print on demand (they make them as people place orders). You can also just make ebooks. I have ordered books like this before and they are professional quality (never made one though, I am working up a collection to make my own cookbook though :p)

A standard paper, paperback, all color pages, 8.5x11, perfect bound, 100 page book would cost $25.50 each + whatever cost you wanted to addon as profit; same thing in Black&White instead of color would be $5.30 each, according to their price calculator.

fae
July 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, mtstorm.

That sounds doable I suppose.

We have to talk to the hair overlords?

I would definitely buy one.

may1em
July 11th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Or it is obviously a ****** video.

Or it's a professional hair stylist.

Right. (FYI - We usually try to spell that word f3t1sh, or any way that disguises it, around here in an attempt to avoid f3tishists from finding us here). Those videos always bother me - I don't really want to watch someone put her hair up and then take it down, and I don't like clicking on something in the hopes that it's useful information only to find out that it's purpose is a non-educational "demonstration." I also don't want to watch a stylist do something to a hair model that requires extensive heat or backcombing.

Aside from some LHC folks (there's a thread with links to their channels) and a handful of others, the only other useful channels are the Apostolic/Pentecostal ones. Even those, I have to overlook all the backcoming and hairspray. I'm also curious if there's any religio-cultural significance for the poof. All the styles seem to include it.

This is why LHC is great, though - because we have our space and can learn from and inspire each other. It's nice to have so many people here who care about both health and length, and I'll take the advice of longtime longhairs before I'll listen to any stylist in a YouTube vid.

ETA: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23385&highlight=youtube+channel
There's the thread with the useful YouTube channels.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Aside from some LHC folks (there's a thread with links to their channels) and a handful of others, the only other useful channels are the Apostolic/Pentecostal ones. Even those, I have to overlook all the backcoming and hairspray. I'm also curious if there's any religio-cultural significance for the poof. All the styles seem to include it.

I want to know wtf is up with the poof, myself.

may1em
July 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I want to know wtf is up with the poof, myself.

We must have at least one member who belongs to one of those religions who could explain. One guess is that it's a way to decorate the front of the 'do in a way that doesn't require cutting. Gossgirl2, who has the highest number of videos, sometimes has a friend show things she does to her own hair - and one of them did something called a "butterfly poof," which was two tiny rolls of hair laid out to look like a butterfly. I might actually try that one - it looked cool. My other thought is that it's a nod to vintage styles - a lot of 40s stuff involves a side part and two rolls in front, and in the early 20th century pompadours were all the rage. Pentecostalism started about a hundred years ago - so maybe it's just a holdover from then. I could be wrong, though. It's fascinating, though!

free_hug
July 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Suggest:

Common LHC account on youtube? For the really long hair video tutorials in one place. I'm not sure how difficult would that be to handle, but definitely even faster & cheaper than a book (admitting that the book is a very neat idea:))

fae
July 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
We usually try to spell that word f3t1sh, or any way that disguises it, around here in an attempt to avoid f3tishists from finding us here

So sorry. I didn't realize that and of course it makes sense.

I will remember that next time. Thought honestly, I can't really see myself having a detailed conversation about that topic.

may1em
July 12th, 2009, 12:14 AM
So sorry. I didn't realize that and of course it makes sense.

I will remember that next time. Thought honestly, I can't really see myself having a detailed conversation about that topic.

Not a problem, it was as much a general PSA for everyone, in case a brand-new member was reading. I'd also rather not have detailed conversations about that topic (although it would make a fascinating academic study, but I digress...)
:)

I also think we should work at beefing up articles, though. I tried to help out by submitting one as soon as I reached 1000 posts - and I'd make another if I had another original hairstyle. Maybe if less blabberfingery members posted cool tutorials, someone else could volunteer to post them as an article on their behalf? (Mods? Can we do that?)