PDA

View Full Version : One year's (non)progress and disappointment... (pic heavy)

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM
One year ago this month I became very, very serious about growing my hair.

Here is how it looked July 2008, seven months after a perm:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2668115084_d05ee69228.jpg

Then in the end of September 2008:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/3385065362_fdc0937e29.jpg

Here is Christmas Day 2008:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/3140277982_3c35d43877.jpg

And here are some pictures from today...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2457/3710827181_30da65c163.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3711638190_460ef8bb02.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/3710826387_ac1d3e06fc.jpg

Not much difference for a whole year. :steam

I have seriously babied my hair for 12 months now.....zero heat styling, zero perms/dyes, very gentle updos, very hair friendly hair accessories, no brushes - only wide toothed wooden or buffalo horn combs, oiling, satin pillowcase, always protected from wind/weather, no sulphates, no cones, zero rubbing against chairbacks or seatbelts (if worn down). I've babied my hair to the point that my family thinks I've gone crazy sometimes.

I've only micro-trimmed a couple times, and have done S&D as necessary for any splits/white dots I find.

I know that my growth hasn't stalled because in the meantime my bangs have gone from eyebrow length to almost 2 inches below my chin. Plus, in the first of today's pics you can see the line where all my virgin hair is compared to the permed length.

My ends are so thin and straggly now. I hate to say it but I honestly think my hair looked better July last year. I'm just so disappointed and sad that I'm not really any further along after a whole year. I'm just....perplexed.

And on top of all that, I realized by looking at these latest pictures that I've really packed on a lot pounds lately.:oops:

Sorry for ranting and whining:rant:.... but I knew fellow-longhairs would understand. Thanks.

ETA: Since this thread has gotten several pages long now, I wanted to add that I did go ahead and do a self-trim. The results are on Page 5, Message #46.

utdesertrunner
July 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I can actually see a ton of growth! You went from about APL to at least BSL. It is rough growing out a perm and I'm sure that might be what you are seeing? The thicker new growth makes it look like the ends are not longer?

You have a very beautiful color too! Also, I don't think it looks like you packed on any pounds.

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I can actually see a ton of growth! You went from about APL to at least BSL. It is rough growing out a perm and I'm sure that might be what you are seeing? The thicker new growth makes it look like the ends are not longer?

You have a very beautiful color too! Also, I don't think it looks like you packed on any pounds.

Thanks utdesertrunner.

Charlotte
July 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi there, I have very similar hair to you and used to have perms done all the time (to try to make my hair look thicker :o). I really think that your hair is growing normally as you can see that your fringe has grown heaps. Problem is, if your hair reacts as mine does (did), the hair is most likely breaking off at the bottom. Depressing, I know... :( Maybe, try little trims monthly until you get rid of the permed stuff. That way, you won't grow any length (you're not at the moment anyway) but at least you won't get shorter. I'm sure when that old perm is gone, you'll start to see some growth again. Hugs to you, :flower:

Blue Willow
July 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry for your pain, i too have been frustrated with my chemically processed tresses also..you have to understand that (if you)lighten & perm its especially hard on your hair and scalp..Ive decided it does affect growth and Ive found my bleached stands go terminal twice if not three times as fast as my nonbleached hair. Your ends are thinner which does indicate that they have been severely damaged so I would say that they most likely are breaking more than youve realized so that would explain why you dont see growth on the ends even though its obvious your virgin hair is growing quite fine. ]
Have you tried adding a vitamin regimen? Hair vitamins might be the boost that would make a real difference. It takes a few months of vitamin therapy but I feel it has given my hair health a very noticable, positive difference. I would suggest using coconut oil therapy for a pretreatment and to put a bit on after shampooing and keep your hair in an updo or braided to minimize its exposure to abuse..I think youre done a great job with your hair but you just have underestimated how long it takes your hair to recover from what we choose to do to it..Continue giving it your excellent care and do change it up a bit and try a few new things suggested. Its all good! (btw your hair looks great!) :)

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi there, I have very similar hair to you and used to have perms done all the time (to try to make my hair look thicker :o). I really think that your hair is growing normally as you can see that your fringe has grown heaps. Problem is, if your hair reacts as mine does (did), the hair is most likely breaking off at the bottom. Depressing, I know... :( Maybe, try little trims monthly until you get rid of the permed stuff. That way, you won't grow any length (you're not at the moment anyway) but at least you won't get shorter. I'm sure when that old perm is gone, you'll start to see some growth again. Hugs to you, :flower:

Thanks Charlotte. And yes, I've been afraid that a lot is just breaking off...maybe that's really the case. Though I have no actual evidence of this. I also just worry that this is my terminal length...I've never been past BSL in my 37 years.

Charlotte
July 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hi again, I just read my post and am sorry if it sounded too harsh in any way. :o I can see that you have indeed had quite a lot of growth but also a lot of breakage. I'm sure with regular little trims it'll start to look thicker and keep growing healthier at the same time. I've other issues with my own hair right now, such as possibly growing out heavy highlights... maybe one day I shall learn to leave my hair alone. Hugs, :)

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the input, Blue Willow...I have always taken vitamins, so that's nothing new that I can add.

I really regret the perms of the past....and have already vowed to never do it again.

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hi again, I just read my post and am sorry if it sounded too harsh in any way. :o I can see that you have indeed had quite a lot of growth but also a lot of breakage. I'm sure with regular little trims it'll start to look thicker and keep growing healthier at the same time. I've other issues with my own hair right now, such as possibly growing out heavy highlights... maybe one day I shall learn to leave my hair alone. Hugs, :)

No problem, Charlotte....I didn't take your post as harsh at all. :)

Charlotte
July 11th, 2009, 08:51 PM
PS I'm sure that at your age and with your hair type (although it's fine) you're nowhere near terminal - maybe between waist and tailbone but not just yet. :) Oh, and I've found almond oil to be super helpful with minimising breakage on my ends. Don't give up with your pretty hair. I've been exactly where you are and I know when that perm is gone, you will see major growth. :blossom:

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
PS I'm sure that at your age and with your hair type (although it's fine) you're nowhere near terminal - maybe between waist and tailbone but not just yet. :) Oh, and I've found almond oil to be super helpful with minimising breakage on my ends. Don't give up with your pretty hair. I've been exactly where you are and I know when that perm is gone, you will see major growth. :blossom:

Thanks Charlotte....I will try to get my hands on almond oil soon. I've tried jojoba (that was "iffy") and coconut (better).

If I had the heart, I'd trim most of the permed crap off, but I'd just be devastated, I think. :(

Dyan
July 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Coolbreeze, I know exactly how you feel. Three years ago, I stopped using chemical dyes on my hair and began using the methods posted here and on another long hair site to baby my hair. I started vitamins, sleeping on a silk pillow, finger combing, tossed out my brush and the blowdryer, started using a wide tooth horn comb, slept with my hair up and tried with it back down, I went sulfate free and cone free....... And the end result is that today my hair looks pretty much like it did three years ago.

What happened is that I saw an immediate difference and improvement, but I can't say that improvement was dramatic. BUT it is better, and that's what keeps me going. The depressing thing is that when I started, my hair was just below my shoulder blades and today it's BSL. My ends are still straggly, the hair is still dry, the ends are still acting like velcro and it simply refuses to grow past my bra strap. I can't post pictures because the fact is that I stopped taking progress pictures the summer of '07 due to the fact that they were too depressing.

I wish that I could give you an inspiriational 'this is what turned my hair around' story, but all I can do is reassure you that you are not the only one struggling with hair that stubbornly refuses to respond to our efforts.

For me? I'm slowly coming to terms with my hair and with the fact that BSL may be my terminal length. And I'm still trying different things to see if I can find what makes my hair happier. Mostly, I think Blue Willow is right and that chemically processing our hair (whether it's years of chemical dyes as with my case or a perm as with you) takes far longer to recover from that is commonly believed. I used to watch the color difference to guage how I was progressing in the "grow the damage out" phase. I kept trying to convience myself that the "new" hair on the strand was healthier and nicer than the "damaged" part of the strand. But maybe that's not a realistic way to see things. Maybe what I had to do is completely shed the strand and let my scalp heal from the abuse in order to get healthy hair.

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Coolbreeze, I know exactly how you feel. Three years ago, I stopped using chemical dyes on my hair and began using the methods posted here and on another long hair site to baby my hair. I started vitamins, sleeping on a silk pillow, finger combing, tossed out my brush and the blowdryer, started using a wide tooth horn comb, slept with my hair up and tried with it back down, I went sulfate free and cone free....... And the end result is that today my hair looks pretty much like it did three years ago.

What happened is that I saw an immediate difference and improvement, but I can't say that improvement was dramatic. BUT it is better, and that's what keeps me going. The depressing thing is that when I started, my hair was just below my shoulder blades and today it's BSL. My ends are still straggly, the hair is still dry, the ends are still acting like velcro and it simply refuses to grow past my bra strap. I can't post pictures because the fact is that I stopped taking progress pictures the summer of '07 due to the fact that they were too depressing.

I wish that I could give you an inspiriational 'this is what turned my hair around' story, but all I can do is reassure you that you are not the only one struggling with hair that stubbornly refuses to respond to our efforts.

For me? I'm slowly coming to terms with my hair and with the fact that BSL may be my terminal length. And I'm still trying different things to see if I can find what makes my hair happier. Mostly, I think Blue Willow is right and that chemically processing our hair (whether it's years of chemical dyes as with my case or a perm as with you) takes far longer to recover from that is commonly believed. I used to watch the color difference to guage how I was progressing in the "grow the damage out" phase. I kept trying to convience myself that the "new" hair on the strand was healthier and nicer than the "damaged" part of the strand. But maybe that's not a realistic way to see things. Maybe what I had to do is completely shed the strand and let my scalp heal from the abuse in order to get healthy hair.

Thanks for the input, Dyan. I'm sorry that you haven't seen dramatic improvement or growth either.

Isn't it awful that the things we did in the past to "beautify" our hair haunts us for so long? Hugs to you!:heart:

Charlotte
July 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean....it's just far too devastating to cut the lot off in one foul sweep. :rolleyes: Little by little is the best way to go, I feel, as far as trimming goes. Patience is key here and lots of babying of our fine hair. I've tried coconut oil, EVOO, avocado oils also and although they all helped in a way (mainly by making my hair feel a little thicker/stronger) nothing compares with the almond oil for me... Lots of deep conditioning treatments seem to help my hair from snapping off too - I think I will have to use 'cones for the rest of my life unless I end up with completely virgin hair (which is years away:o).

Pierre
July 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I was stuck for I don't know how long, at least a year I think. It wasn't a perm (I've never been to Permia, or Udmurtia either), but sleep damage. I kept snipping splits and tangles, and measured and found my hair wasn't any longer, and then one month there were hardly any splits or tangles to snip and I had grown! So don't worry about your length. Just watch the Permian glacier slide down.

You're past acnestis! That was an important marker for me.

coolbreeze212
July 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I was stuck for I don't know how long, at least a year I think. It wasn't a perm (I've never been to Permia, or Udmurtia either), but sleep damage. I kept snipping splits and tangles, and measured and found my hair wasn't any longer, and then one month there were hardly any splits or tangles to snip and I had grown! So don't worry about your length. Just watch the Permian glacier slide down.

You're past acnestis! That was an important marker for me.

Thanks, Pierre. I've been trying not to worry about the length, but at this one-year mark, it's just gotten me a bit depressed.

Debra83
July 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Among many of the vitamins I take (multi, b's, c's, e, a, d, msm, florasil (horsetail/silica)) I also take Omega 3/6/9's. I have read that adding just a tablespoon of cold-pressed salad-type oil to your diet everyday can make a huge difference on dry hair, and believe it or not, weight loss. (can't be coconut oil though as per the same source of where I have read this). [that's why I use omega 3/6/9]

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I do see some progress, and I agree... once your perm and all that is grown out, I think you'll be seeing a lot more growth!

Demetrue
July 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The unpermed roots of your hair look like they have grown 5 inches out from when you started, and the length is definitely longer, but it looks like it is breaking at the bottom from the perm. I would keep micro-trimming the permed ends every couple of months. Once the perm is completely gone, I think you will notice more growth because the ends will not be breaking off any more.

HeatherLarsen
July 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
My hair is similar to your type, yet not completely. With thinner curly hair I think it's harder to "see" length as clearly as a straight haired individual. I think for a year of growth you did pretty awesome, and once it gets a tiny bit longer it will grow like a weed! Good luck! :)

mtstorm
July 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I see quite a bit of growth. :) It is always harder to notice with your own hair than someone else.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 11:18 PM
The unpermed roots of your hair look like they have grown 5 inches out from when you started, and the length is definitely longer, but it looks like it is breaking at the bottom from the perm. I would keep micro-trimming the permed ends every couple of months. Once the perm is completely gone, I think you will notice more growth because the ends will not be breaking off any more.

This, precisely :cheese:

Juneii
July 11th, 2009, 11:34 PM
you do have growth just not a lot because of your perm - no worries! once you grow out your permed hair we'll see a lot more growth
good luck! your hair color is gorgeous :]

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 11th, 2009, 11:44 PM
You might try some catnip for your ends and doing some regular trims instead of just S&D and micro trims, you might try cutting about 1/2" every couple of months that way you are making some progress and getting rid of the bad ends at the same time and it will also help against breakage. I have been doing this to my super-fried hair since I joined LHC. It's helped my hair tons.

I agree that I think the problem lies in the ends of your hair not the overall condition. I think once the bad ends and breakage are gone it will look MUCH thicker and you won't have to do any major chopping. :) Nightshade has been my hair idol, and I take her advice as gospel since we have similar hair & I desire her length and she's been where I am.. so you might also find someone here with similar hair and background and see what they are doing and get advice from them.

If you were to ask me, I would advise you to keep up with the S&D, get regular 1/2" trims, oil like crazy, maybe throw in a protein treatment every now and again, and to try the catnip soak. If you're willing also look into the cassia thread :flower: don't be discouraged.. just keep growing! You're making good progress!!

pdy2kn6
July 12th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I see lots of growth, and your hair is developing really nice fairytale ends. I don't think you have reached terminal yet because you still have few strands that appear really really long. Perhaps just try and stick it out and see how your ends gradually may become thicker and the natural virgin hair grows longer. P.S. I don't think your packed on any pounds, everythings looking great

fae
July 12th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I see the growth as well.

I don't know anything about the damage a perm does, but I would listen to the members here who say that it is the ends breaking.

I can't even begin to imagine what trauma I would experience if I had to take a large amount of hair off. On the other hand, if you took that plunge (and i'm not saying you should, just trying to be a devil advocate I guess) you could maybe get past the frustration and disappointment in not seeing steady growth.

I really think that my hair was "stuck" for a while. It didn't seem to be growing at all. Then one day, as I was getting ready to shower, I felt it against my back side and it felt different. That sounds really retarded, but I swear it's true.

I still really feel I should have been at classic last december. But I can maybe shoot for this year christmas. It still needs to grow about 7 inches to get there.

Keep on keepin' on.

concrescence
July 12th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I see growth! You were at approximately APL last year and are now at about BSL (probably past when you stretch the longest bits in the middle). I can definitely see that your perm roots have grown about 5-6 inches. That is pretty much average. Go you! :)

The overall length, though, seems like maybe 3-4 inches longer. And, the ends do seem thinner. The bad news is you're probably getting breakage from the perm damage. The good news is that means you aren't as terminal at all. Once the damage is gone, you'll see better growth and thickness.

As much as it will pain you to slow your growth down even more, I would start trimming 1/2" every other month. It will thicken up the ends and start getting rid of the damage. Better to loose it through intentional cutting that you control than through uncontrollable breakage. If you do that, you'll probably be only a bit past BSL next year, but it will look longer, because your ends will be thicker. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing. Just think, if you hadn't been babying your hair and treating it right, it might be even shorter now. You're on the right path now, just be patient.

free_hug
July 12th, 2009, 02:56 AM
To me it looks like perfect growth progress up to the December pic, it has visibly grown, the ends are full so you can see it easily. The last pics are different though, as if only some of your poor permed hairs made it to past-BSL...

it really looks (at least to me) like perm damage made a great bunch of your ends break over time, and this is why you don§'t see the progress.

But as many here suggest, if you take good care of what you still have, it should keep on growing normally, since the growth rate looks normal.

DecafJane
July 12th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I'm sorry it is frustrating for you! I'm sure that once the perm grows out your hair will grow really quickly.

FallenAngel
July 12th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I see growth. Just wanted to say that. :)

Lile
July 12th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I also had perm like 3years ago,and first I had to grow the damage out.(Which in case of a perm the whole length!!!)So this is why I'm still not at the length I could have been without trimming.I guess it's the case with you too.Don't worry,just keep your routine as natural as possible,and it'll grow.

Oh,and my personal experience:Since I take too much care of my hair(LHC obsession)it doesn't seem to grow fast.If at all.I took up some hectic routine changing it all the time,washing it more often then needed,and so on...I think hair,just as our body in general needs regular care.Washing x days,and not to change it all the time.This is my bad habit. And benign neglect can also help a lot.I should start doing it:-)

redneckprincess
July 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I see some growth too APL to LBSL anyways... maybe you had alot of breakage from the perm?

coolbreeze212
July 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM
A huge thank you to Everyone for your input! :heartbeat:grouphug:

I'm ashamed to say that the length with perm had actually been assaulted with perm chemicals three times in an 18-month span, last time being Jan. 08. :scared:

I guess since I never really saw any broken hairs on my pillow, etc., I was in denial that my ends were snapping off. But the photographic evidence is there....and you all are right.

brok3nwings
July 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Im so sorry that this has happened to you...and yes i believe probably is the hair that is breaking off BUT you have to look at the bright side. You have a hole year of healthy hair that will be saved so if i were you i would trim from time to time and then see your natural growing in much better condition. You do have beautiful hair so keep growing. At least you know whats the problem and you can solve it ;)

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 12th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I guess since I never really saw any broken hairs on my pillow, etc., I was in denial that my ends were snapping off. But the photographic evidence is there....and you all are right.

I seldom see any broken hairs unless I am the one that breaks them but when I S&D I can usually find those dreaded white spots in my highlighted areas, and since you had 3 perms in 18mos on your length, I'm willing to bet that's the reason for it. Don't be discouraged though! You do have beautiful hair! :flowers:

Quahatundightu
July 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
(((HUGS))) Ahh I really know how it is to be growing out damage. But try not to be too critical - you *do* have growth!! I guess not all of us grow at super speeds, and if your hair is curly it takes longer too. Now that you're not perming I'm sure the condition will just keep improving!

Maybe just try to focus on having fun with your hair, do a 30 style 30 day challenge or something, and before you know it, your har will have grown more! :)

jivete
July 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I'm agreeing with this too. When I was around middle school age, I'd get perms and my hair would sometimes get shorter even though I was trying to grow it. :blueeek:

It took me until I was 32 or so (when I joined here)to realize my hair can't take any chemical or heat abuse or it tends to break.

I do think that if you trim to maintain and slowly get rid of the perm, you'll be much happier with the overall growth because it will look thicker as the breakage and damage is removed. I'm getting ready to do this for 6 months or so to get rid of layers and old dye before I move on to my final goal of waist.

Good luck. Your natural color is quite lovely.

Niphredil
July 12th, 2009, 11:42 AM

I totally agree! I see a lot of new unpermed hair. It is really just the permed hair that is breaking off and the very tips. The only thing you can do is trim them off, either drastically at once, or by (micro)trimming.

It is frustrating to see only minimal length gain and thinning ends, but your growth hasn't stalled at all! Some people can get away with perming and bleaching and blowdrying/straightning their hair, some don't....... Just keep babying it, I'll bet you see a lot more growth once you get rid of the permed ends.

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Look at all that healthy growth at the top, though! I bet once your perm is going all of that pampered hair will shoot down so fast you won't know what happened. Just be patient as you get rid of the damaged bits. Plus, I do see *some* growth... but you're right about the ends being thinner. They don't look bad though - I think your S&Ding is paying off. Keep it up and keep up the micro trims and you'll be all virgin growth before you know it.

coolbreeze212
July 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Don't be discouraged though! You do have beautiful hair! :flowers:

Thank you! LHC has got to be the greatest group around.....so warm and supportive! :crush:

desertgirl
July 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Coolbreeze, sorry you're feeling discouraged. It looks like the effects of your perm. Hang in there! I was comparing your first picture with your last one, and if your head is close to mine, it looks like you have 5 or 6 inches of new growth for the year. Not too bad!

I have a feeling that during this year you will have a break through in the amount of breakage you have as your perm disappears more and more.

Hang in there! Hugs

Fractalsofhair
July 12th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Perms are very damaging, and the reason you've grown a little is due to a good hair care regime! However, you'll have to grow out the damage from the perm, and that can take a while. Oil treatments may help a bit, and cones may actually help a bit with it!

coolbreeze212
July 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Perms are very damaging, and the reason you've grown a little is due to a good hair care regime! However, you'll have to grow out the damage from the perm, and that can take a while. Oil treatments may help a bit, and cones may actually help a bit with it!

Thanks Fractalofhair, but I'm 'cone-free. I know 'cones help many, but for me, they actually create a ton of tangles. The difference for my hair is like night and day. Proving as always, that everyone's hair has different needs. :)

Coriander
July 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Happy Anniversary, coolbreeze!

I know how it is to look at pictures and say, "Whoa. When did my (fill in body part here) get that big?" As a matter of fact, when I post my three year anniversary photos on Tuesday, you'll be able to see exactly where those 45 pounds attached. :laugh:

You have lovely hair. I know it's frustrating when you feel as if there's no substantial growth, but please be assured that your hair will catch up! I love your color and the waves you have... beautiful!

SpecialKitty
July 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I haven't read all the other posts on this thread, so I'm sure I'm repeating others here, but I can see new growth from your crown to your shoulders - it is smoother, healthier, and more natural looking. The permed hair is below that and looks very dry and damaged. The permed bits at the ends are likely breaking easily, impairing your overall length. After another year or so, I think you will find the permed parts are mostly gone and you can concentrate then on gaining length. By the way, I think your hair looks beautiful! :flowers:

coolbreeze212
July 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks again, to everyone for the encouragement and advice. :heartbeat

So, I bit the bullet and decided to do a self-trim....not too much, but I removed the straggliest, thin ends. Unfortunately, now I'm a little shorter than BSL again. :boohoo:

I recruited DH once again to take a picture. It was bit breezy, so poor dear had to be really patient for the right moment, but at least the sun was out today.

Anyway....here is before................
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3711638190_460ef8bb02.jpg

And here is the after.............
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/3718962214_9835a07702.jpg

I plan to take off little bits every other month or so, as so many suggested. Then hopefully I'll be able to really get the kind of growth and length that I have dreamed about!!

Charlotte
July 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM
That's absolutely amazing Coolbreeze - excellent job! It actually looks longer to my eyes and appears so much thicker too. If you continue to do this once every 6-8 weeks or so, your hair will look better, feel better (be easier to manage) and start to grow before your eyes! :D Yay!!!!

jivete
July 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
It looks great. Wonderful job.

Melisande
July 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I used to perm my hair (ten years ago was the last time) and I really understand what you are going through. Concentrate on the new growth, and trim off like you did just now the straggly, damaged ends. Your new growth is beautiful and shiney and healthy. there is no reason why you shouldn't see amazing progress in one year's time.

Long hair growth is a marathon, not a sprint. YOu don't see progress over time. Nightshade celebrates her healthy hair now - after two or three years of patient hard work. So don't be discouraged. The progress in your pictures is clearly visible - you have to know where to look, though. Don't set yourself up for frustration by concentrating on length gain while your ends are still damaged.

Did you try scalp oilings with essential oils? There is a thread somewhere. I have been doing this for two years now and my hair grows in much stronger and healthier. It's an additional boost. Besides, it's relaxing and makes me feel pampered. I massage the oil mixture in at night, leave it on my scalp overnight, the night before i wash. It comes out easily with diluted shampoo and I feel it really helps.

Keep on doing oil treatments. I use for my damaged ends a mixture of conditioner, olive oil, coconut oil, honey, keratin, hydrolyzed wheat protein and aloe vera gel. I put it on my hair, sandwich bag, shower cap, towel - and let it sit for a number of hours. It's a wonderful deep treatment and makes my ends jucier. I can't save them but I can make them look better.

Catnip is another great idea, so might be cassia.

You are doing the right thing. YOu will find, once that your undamaged hair is the majority, that your hair is fuller and bouncier - just what motivated you to try the perm will happen once the perm is grown out.

LadyEliza
July 14th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I doubt you have reached terminal length! But I do think that you could lose an inch and your hair would look better for it.

Sometimes we get so caught up with "lenght" that we forget about looks. An inch would take you back only a little bit, but it would thicken up the ends and get rid of the straglers.

And once your hair is healthy all the way down it will grow quicker and an inch is only two months or there abouts!

Pegasus Marsters
July 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I see some growth, but I reckon it's not that you're not growing, instead it's that your ends are breaking off from damage. Perms are just lethal for hair, really ruinous even if you take super good care of your hair afterwards.

Niphredil
July 14th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Now look at the difference that trim made to the overall appearance of your hair! It might look shorter when stretched out, but when on its own, it looks a lot less scraggly and roughly the same length as before !

You will get there, it might take time and require a lot of patience, but you will get there!

Edit:
Compare these two pictures side by side: Your perm starts at about top-of-ear level on the picture from sept 2008, and it has grown to right up your shoulders in 10 months time. The length hasn't grown as much, but this proves you're not stalling!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/3385065362_fdc0937e29.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2457/3710827181_30da65c163.jpg

Edit2: apparently the pictures are too large to be displayed side by side... well, you get the idea..

coolbreeze212
July 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
<snipped>

Sometimes we get so caught up with "lenght" that we forget about looks.

You're so right. I did get caught up in that exact mentality. It's really hard for me remember sometimes. :blushing:

coolbreeze212
July 14th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Now look at the difference that trim made to the overall appearance of your hair!

That's absolutely amazing Coolbreeze - excellent job! It actually looks longer to my eyes and appears so much thicker too.

Yeah, doing that self-trim was a hard step, but I am happier with the way it looks now, post-trim.

Ndnlady
July 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I actually think you have made great progress! We are so hard on ourselves. I think your hair does look healthier. And by the way you don't look like you have packed on any pounds!:)

tommiefromva
July 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I think your hair is georgeous. Keep up the good work

Sheltie_Momma
July 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
In the pictures after your trim I love how shiny it is all through the crown area in the sunlight. The cool thing is that when you have it up, all that shows is your shiny, soft, healthy growth! Focus on the positive, I know you'll get the length in due time.

Your year of "work" has other benefits besides just lthe (noticeable) length. You have taken care of your body and health, pampered yourself, been kind to yourself, shown acceptance and patience and determination, and exhibited those qualities to your family and friends - all of that is to be highly commended.

Anyone can do something for 6 weeks or 6 months in order to gain quick reward, but to do it for years and to keep going even when the goal seems far away - take true strength of character.

kdaniels8811
July 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I permed my hair for years to make it look thicker and it never grew much past shoulder. The change in routine has made a huge difference, my hair is very fine and thin but since I have given up all the damaging stuff and trimmed some of the damaged ends off, my hair is actually getting thicker and wavier! So it takes time but it will happen and we will be here to support you.

Good luck!

hazelnut
July 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I see a difference. It grew and it's going to continue to grow. I bet by next year your hair will be even more beautiful than it is now.:) don't loose hope.

Babyfine
July 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
As others have pointed out- I can definitely see growth of the non-permed hair.
YOur hair HAS gotten longer. It's likely breaking off at the ends.
Perms are incredibly damaging-I hear they weaken the hair strand by 30%, Since they actually break down the hair structure and re-form it.
I used to get perms on a regular basis-they really plumped up the volume and made me feel better about my fine hair- But when I got serious about growing my hair I realized I could never perm again. My hair would stall and break off no matter what I did. (Now I color, maybe shouldn't do that either)
As more of your perm gets trimmed off, I'll bet you'll see lots of growth!

Myeka
July 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I think I can relate to how you feel... I felt like I made no progress after one year of trying, too. I actually gave up at that time and went back to heat styling (but kept up with everything else). I had bleach damage and when I combed my hair, I could see 2 inch hairs falling all over the bathroom sink. My hair was destroyed.

Two years later, the blonde damage is all gone. But my hair is only about 2 inches longer than it was before I chopped as much as I could stomach off and slowly trimmed the rest off. Wow that thought is depressing lol. So yeah, I know how you feel.

But isn't it amazing what a little trim can do? Look at your hair in that after pic! It's incredible the difference. I like to remind myself that when the ends start feeling like pooh. Even a dusting can do wonders.

Once the damage is all gone your hair will feel luxurious and it'll grow so much faster. Just stay motivated and keep with it! I think my hair would be longer if I hadn't gone back to heat styling, so try not to give up like I did. :P

spidermom
July 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Oh wow - good job with the trim. I can't see that you've lost any length at all as my eyes don't track to the end of the few longest hairs but stop where most of the hair stops. I think if you'll just trim 1/2- inch off every 2-3 months until all the perm is gone, you will become happy with your growth rate. The odds are in your favor. Some people do have a terminal length as short as BSL, but that's a pretty and versatile length, so it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Jemoiselle
July 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Oh my goodness, I know how you feel and want to offer my perspective. Your hair is growing nicely, I see a ton of new growth in your virgin hair! You color is lovely too, you have so much to look forward to. My hair is past TB now, but years ago I used to bleach it and not surprisingly it refused to grow beyond my bra line. My ends looked uneven, and it seemed my new growth didn't match my trimming rate, to where it got shorter and shorter as time went on and the breakage exceeded my growth rate. I had to take it gradually, but eventually I became 100&#37; dedicated to never processing my hair again, and thanks to a very special makeup artist on the set of Ocean's 13, I decided to start trimming a small amount each and every month! She was right, for me anyway. Now I trim every month about now actually, and my rate of growth exceeds my trims by a long shot. I know how hard it is to creep through progress like that, you've just got to keep your head up my dear and find ways to keep yourself motivated. How about taking those pictures, picking one favorite and "photoshopping" it to make your hair your goal length? That would help me! Print that baby out and carry it with you for whenever you need it. I think your hair looks lovely, and with more regular trims you'll have that hemline thickened up in a jiffy. About your weight, I think we are all our harshest critics. I used to weigh 107 before I had my baby. Now I weigh 140. It kills me, sometimes, but time and time again I realize how many people would love to have my figure even as I complain about it. Just keep that in mind, the same applies to each and every one of us. There will always be someone out there who would give anything to be like you. You are their greener grass...you've got to embrace that and be thankful for it. I am working to lose weight, of course, but I am trying really hard to not beat myself up in the process. Doing it with love for ones self is by far more fulfilling and effective =)

Hope this helps in some way. My thoughts are with you.

rhubarbarin
July 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Sympathy! I have been here nearly 2 years and have made very little progress - except my 9" of healthy, shiny new growth. It's going to be a long journey. Right now my hair is about 6" shorter than when I joined (couldn't stand the thin ends and cut them off).

coolbreeze212
July 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Wow....so much to catch up on....

Thanks Ndnlady, tommiefromva, Sheltie_Momma, Kdaniels8811, hazelnut, Babyfine, browneyes267, Spidermom, rhubarbarin, Jemoiselle.

And thanks to everyone else who I've missed personally thanking.

This board is awesome. You've all given me so much encouragement, and I truly appreciate it. You have lifted me greatly.

yogachic
July 15th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Your hemline was thicker in July '08. The longest thin parts have definately grown, but I'm thinking that maybe the breakage has put you at a stand still. Maybe a trim, is in order.

coolbreeze212
July 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Your hemline was thicker in July '08. The longest thin parts have definately grown, but I'm thinking that maybe the breakage has put you at a stand still. Maybe a trim, is in order.

Thanks, yogachic....I actually did go ahead and trim some. The results are on Page 5, Message #46.