PDA

View Full Version : Well crap it's my Birthday and I over oiled my hair

bakertwins2004
July 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
i washed and oiled last night and braided for waves today for my birthday dinner. I took out the braids and I WAY over oiled last night. Do I need to re wash? Or can I save my do some how? Up-do? I gotta bathe twins and get ready here in a bit. HELP

Coriander
July 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
First, Happy Birthday! :cheese:

I would think a nice updo would help things. Maybe a french twist with some decoration to cover up any oily spots? :)

Have a wonderful dinner!

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
If you could do a quick CO, it should get rid of the oil.

That said, oiled hair looks great up/in braids. Maybe try a bun with braided accents? It seems festive enough for a birthday.

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

jlpearce
July 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hey, it's my birthday, too! Happy happy birthday! :)

eadwine
July 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Congrats on the b-day. I'd say go ahead and wash it already and quit stressing over it. CO won't get rid of the oil, so just use shampoo and then condition, that gets it out.

longhairedfairy
July 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hey, it's my birthday, too! Happy happy birthday! :)

Happy birthday to you both!:)

ericthegreat
July 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Happy Birthday! :cake::blossom:

You shouldn't waste extra time washing your hair out, today of all days you should be spending all of your time celebrating! :cheer: Instead, now that your hair is a bit greasy, its in the perfect condition to do a sleek, shiny updo! Try out one of the many chignons or sock buns or braided buns that LHC members have raved about! I think for your birthday you'd look even better with your hair up, it makes you look more formal!:queen:

bakertwins2004
July 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
well poo. I guess I'll wash and do something else with it. Thanks

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Congrats on the b-day. I'd say go ahead and wash it already and quit stressing over it. CO won't get rid of the oil, so just use shampoo and then condition, that gets it out.
I beg to differ on that; CO removes handfuls of olive oil from my hair, which is something that shampoo alone could never do.

eadwine
July 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
That must be harsher condish than mine then, my condish doesn't get oil out, barely anything at all.

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
That must be harsher condish than mine then, my condish doesn't get oil out, barely anything at all.
I've done it with multiple conditioners; from weak VO5 to AO Honeysuckle Rose. :shrug: Always does the trick for me.

I've even done it with coney conditioners.

Zombiekins
July 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I beg to differ on that; CO removes handfuls of olive oil from my hair, which is something that shampoo alone could never do.

Agreed. Shampoo is actually like the worst thing for removing oil from my hair. I don't know why, but no matter how I lather and how much I try and spread it down the length, there are always "clumps" of over oiling left when my hair is dry. Not to mention that the shampoo overdries my scalp and and length (areas where it couldn't remove all the oil aside). CO washing removes the oil, the better it removes depends on how long it's left on hair. Try conditioner-ing up on dry hair about a 1/2 hour or 20 minutes before your shower, then hop in and leave it up until everything else is done, then rinse and follow with a vinegar rinse (rinse out completely if you like, just leave on for a minute or two and massage around). Ta-da, your hair should be soft and clean, but not oily. :)

At least, that's a tried and true method for my hair.

ETA - I've tried this with vo5 and Suave conditioners, they're pretty much my "go-to" choices for CO washing.

krissykins
July 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Happy birthday!

I would say try putting some baby powder on your hair and brushing that out, but that might mess up the waves :shrug:

rose_in_bloom
July 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM
First of all, happy birthday!! :D

I'd say wash it, and don't stress yourself out over it.

cindy58
July 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Happy Birthday! Myself, I would probably try something braided and see how it looks. Otherwise, I'd just wash and enjoy the rest of the day.

Jemoiselle
July 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Wash it, wash it! Snickering, I agree with the others who say get it over with and start having some fun! Happy Birthday! Let it dry until barely damp, then maybe re-braid and go on a walk to help it set. Go home, un braid and perhaps, voila?

earthdancer
July 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Happy birthday!

I would say try putting some baby powder on your hair and brushing that out, but that might mess up the waves :shrug:

Oh, no. Baby powder will cling to the oil and she'll end up with gray hair. Been there.

adiapalic
July 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Happened to me once. I did a slick pony-tail, then braided and made a nice bun.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM

I guess it really depends. I can't do CO at all since it just makes my scalp oily even when it wasn't before. Conditioner can't touch my scalp, sadly.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I forgot-- happy birthday!! :)

longhairedfairy
July 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Could the CO removing oil better for some people have something to do with hairtype?

teela1978
July 11th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Could the CO removing oil better for some people have something to do with hairtype?
Probably. I think water quality is a big factor as well though. In Colorado (fantastic water, not too hard or soft) I could CO, in California (very hard water) I can't... well technically I can, but I end up oily afterwards.

ratgirldjh
July 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Suprisingly I also find that diluted (half and half) AOHR takes heavy oilings out of my hair better than anything else!!! Weird, huh? Because Honeysuckle Rose contains a lot of oil - but I guess oil does disolve oil...

Fethenwen
July 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I'd say baby powder or some starch, like corn starch. I have really grown into liking this because it makes my hair look less oily and gives also lots of volume.
Put the starch in your hair roots and rub your hair until it absorbs it. It may take away a lot of shine but shouldn't make your hair look gray if you rub it in well enough.

longhairedfairy
July 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Suprisingly I also find that diluted (half and half) AOHR takes heavy oilings out of my hair better than anything else!!! Weird, huh? Because Honeysuckle Rose contains a lot of oil - but I guess oil does disolve oil...
What's AOHR?

melrose1985
July 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Happy birthday!