PDA

View Full Version : always wearing hair up and hair loss in the future

pdy2kn6
July 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
My family always go on saying how I shouldn't have it tied in a bun or tied up all the time because it will make me go bald due to strain on hair follicles. Does anyone else have to deal with this? Does anyone worry about this issue when they wear their hair up the majority of the time? I rarely feel uncomfortable when Iput my hair up, its usually firm but comfortable. I wear my hair in a braid to sleep, but in the day always up with a hairstick, either in a nautillus bun or a cinnabun. If its ever painful I redo my updo. I always tell me mum it is less damaging to keep my hair up but then she goes on to stress how it will make me lose my hair. What do you guys think about this issue and updos (pretty much everyday/majority)?

Anlbe
July 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
So long as you don't always do the same updo there's no reason for it to hurt you folicles, maybe it's just a cunning ploy on their part to get you to put your hair down more. My family and BF would like me to have my hair down all the time, but if I did that I wouldn't have such healthy/long hair so they just have to deal.

Silver & Gold
July 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I have seen cases where women lost hair in specific areas because they always wore their hair up in the same exact style and position. So I think your mother probably gets her ideas from this. However, it seems to me that if you are careful not to wear you hair too tight or in the same style and position every day then this shouldn't be an issue.
Also using hair-friendly items should help as well. The damage I've seen is from constant ponytails in the same position on the head. I've seen breakage all around the area the band was located. I've also seen a tight bun always worn and secured in the same place, this caused the hair at the scalp in the area that the bun was secured to become thin.
It sounds to me that you are aware of how your bun feels and avoid keeping it too tight. My hair isn't very long yet but I try to vary my style from half-ups to full up and sometimes braided sometimes buns. I like the look of the variations and hopefully I'll save myself from undo stress on my hair from always wearing it the same way.

Zombiekins
July 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM
There will be other folks piping in soon enough. But for me, that was definitely a concern while at classic. My hair was long, heavy, and had to be worn up every day (for various reasons). As such, the hair at the front of my scalp was often sore from the pulling (no matter what updo style, there was always "pullage") and began to thin a bit. Since I'm a girl this freaked me out like crazy and that was definitely one of the factors that went in to me cutting my hair back a bit. I think it's just too heavy for my scalp at a certain point.

Having said that, everyone's hair is different and there are lots of people here with classic and beyond who likely don't have any issues like that. So it really just depends. Keep an eye on the areas you're worried about and a grasp on how thick your hair's circumference is, and if anything changes you'll know. :) Changing up your parts and updos from week to week is never a bad idea.

Heidi_234
July 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Most women would be bold by now if it was true. :lol: And there's no difference between men and women on the subject. If you'll start to bold, it's because of hormonal/genetic reasons, definitely not because of how you wear your hair, or even handle it. You said that if it feel uncomfortable you re-do it, then you're fine, and so are you hair follicles. :)

junkyschristmas
July 10th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hey! I think your mum is worried about "Traction Alopecia", which is a very real condition brought about by continuous styling in VERY tight ponytails, braids, etc. I think, as others have said here, if you change up the position of your bun, your part, etc., and try to keep the hair tension loose and not uncomfortably "scraped back", you should be fine! Maybe you should google "traction alopecia"; I think that would alleviate your worries some!

nowxisxforever
July 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I think so long as you don't do any really tight styles you should be OK. I generally wear my hair in the same style (have for a few years now, since I figured it out-- link in my signature) but it's never tight. I don't comb my part out to put it up, either, and generally if the tension is funny with my bun I'll get a headache and redo it, but that doesn't typically happen... I've been doing this bun for so long that if something's out of place I know right away.

I find that with a style I'm comfortable with, it's much looser and evenly-tensioned than a style I'm unfamiliar with, when I end up wearing different buns the tension works out different and it ends up pulling so I take it out and do "my" bun again.

I do leave my hair down at work about 1/4 the time, though, and generally wear it very loosely (in a knot that's gradually loosened / falls out) at home. I don't braid or bun it at night, I lay it up over and behind my pillow, and depending on the end I'm sleeping on, off to the side or let it pool together (it doesn't tangle this way, mind!).

free_hug
July 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Noooo, don't worry, your family just thinks your hair looks amazing down, so they are trying to trick you into wearing it down more ;)

GoddesJourney
July 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Some people have this problem and some people don't. Just check in with yourself. If you notice your hair thinning, switch it up. It's good to change parts in your hair and change updos to keep your hair healthy. Also, it effects the way your hair gets damaged. The canapy of your hair gets the most "weather damage" if it's always down. Updos can change what part of your hair is exposed to the elements. Changing updos can help cycle your hair through so that you're not always with the same areas exposed to sun, wind, rain, etc. Some people swear by this, others don't believe in it. Like I said, check in with yourself. See how you are and act accordingly.

rogue_psyche
July 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I read in a book written by a geisha (the one the author of Memoirs of a Geisha interviewed) and she and another geisha developed bald spots from one of the maiko hairstyles. I would be careful of tight updos and doing the same updo over and over.

free_hug
July 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Rogue psyche, is this the one Mineko Iwasaki wrote? (well, with some co author)

I read that one (Geisha, a Life), appreciated it for being authentic, and yes, that was one of the things that struck me too, the maikos could easily get a bald spot on the top ot their heads where they wear their "buns". But then again there were long and painful descriptions on what exactly they go through to get their very special and very enduring hairstyle :disgust: many LHCers would just freak out to hear it...
plus they'll get more or less the same every single time, all their lives.

So, dears, putting hair up in a brutal manner and always the same way is a no-no.

But how many LHC members did not turn bald after a wear hair up (for a long time) challenge? :)

Rentlle
July 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
hihi.. i don't think it's a problem when you change updo's ;)

JamieLeigh
July 10th, 2009, 04:28 PM
That's another one of those topics that no one can seem to agree on, lol. Some people swear they have thinning hair in spots because of tight updos, but others swear it makes no difference on them. I think it's a good idea to wear your hair in a way that is comfortable, and not pulling too hard on your scalp. If for no other reason than to keep you from getting headaches from your updos. :)