PDA

View Full Version : I'm seriously considering it

fae
July 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have been thinking for a while that I would like to dye my hair.

But not with the nasty mean grocery store dyes.
See, purple is my favorite color. Ever.

But. I work for a home health company and I'm just not sure how well this would go over.

So my second choice is black.
But I really, really want my hair purple. If my life could be a color it would be purple.

There is a member here with purple hair and I absolutely adore her hair.

If you have dyed your hair a, um, unconventional color, what was your deciding factor? Did you take into account what your employer may think or say?

I have dyed it black in the past. It was pretty cool actually. People told me I looked like morticia adams. They also told me I looked like a china doll because my skin is so fair.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. Please move it if it needs to be relocated.

Jules diamond
July 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM
*sits and waits in thread*

I'd love to have purple hair too. Unfortunately, my hair's way to dark to do so. I'd love to hear how you go about it.

fae
July 10th, 2009, 01:55 AM
heh.

You made me laugh.

I was reading up on manic panic (which I don't think i will use) and a lot of them say that to get the color right you have to bleach your hair.

Blech. No thanks.

Maybe black.

Black generally accepted and if I chose to have black hair, people won't look at me funny or fire me from my job.

I know there is the specialeffects.com stuff.

Any other recommendations?

Jules diamond
July 10th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I've heard kool-aid works. I don't know how well though.

Gypsy
July 10th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I did my hair purple several years ago; well, it was all blonde and it grew out so the blonde was from my ear down and the roots to the ear was black (ish. My hair is more like a deep brown but I say black), so I dyed the blonde purple (because like you, it is my fave!) so it was black rom the roots to the ears and purple from the ears to my under arms.
It was b*tchen! I always got compliments- ALWAYS.
I have worked in jobs that wouldn't allow that kind of coloring since then but now I work in a job that has pretty much complete freedom as far as my hair or dress (as long as it isn't blatantly provocative) so I am going to do the hair underneath- from the middle of the back of the head to the nape- purple and leave the rest it's brown/black.

fae
July 10th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I wish I could go with the purple. I'm more that sure the people I work for wouldn't like that as they have this you represent us thing going on. Which is true. But purple would be my choice.

I'm not all that smart about dyes and products. I just know I don't want all the bad stuff that's in commercial dyes.

I'm going to order from the special effects (i hope i'm getting that right). Only thing is if I don't like it, I have so much to grow out before it would be all gone.

I just don't know how to take the plunge I guess. I know black works, so i'm not so worried about that.

hmmm.....oy. choices.

Jules diamond
July 10th, 2009, 02:17 AM
You could always try out the color on your ends for a few weeks. If there's a problem or you don't like it, and you don't mind losing an inch or two that should work alright.

Chanterelle
July 10th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Back when I had short (shoulder length) hair I experimented a lot with dyes and once had my hair dyed bright red with a horizontal bleached blond stripe at ear level. I didn't expect my employer to like it thought I have no official restrictions. Still, they absolutely LOVED it, LOL. They're even asking when I'm going back to it.

fae
July 10th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Back when I had short (shoulder length) hair I experimented a lot with dyes and once had my hair dyed bright red with a horizontal bleached blond stripe at ear level. I didn't expect my employer to like it thought I have no official restrictions. Still, they absolutely LOVED it, LOL. They're even asking when I'm going back to it.

That's really interesting Chanterelle.

I suppose I could ask just to clairify. Maybe they would give me the go ahead.

I mean just because my hair is purple doesn't mean i'm going to alter the level of care I give. It's just the color of my hair.

I won't do this for another couple weeks as I don't get paid til then.

I will probably get a huge case of cold feet and decide not to do it anyway.

I'm just really happy today because some good stuff has finally happened for my children and I thought this would be a good way of marking the occasion. Everytime I looked at my hair it would be a constant reminder that there is justice in the world and that no one escapes their karma.

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Natalia
July 10th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Lol i litterally just posted about this in my blog! If i were to choose an unconventional color it would be a deep beet/hibiscus purple :). My SIL has unusual hair but she keeps it relativly toned for a red/purple and no one has ever had a huge problem with it. If it was an issue she knew at the interview. She doesnt have a conventional carrer though. If your going to use developer you can make your own dye. My SIL once made a glaze from beet juice when she was pregnant :) to avoid harmful dyes. You just need to developer to help it deposit, though im sure there are other ways. Good luck :D

Dementia1013
July 10th, 2009, 02:55 AM
You've got to post pics if you do decide to go through with it! :D

If you have any specific questions, I'm more than happy to tell you what I do and how I maintain my color, but please bare in mind that everybody's hair is different. What works for me, may not work for you.

I think I will actually post an article about... I get many people asking me about my process. :D

fae
July 10th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Ah! And there she is. The woman with the gorgeous purple hair.

I will definitely post pictures no matter what I decide. I post them anyway lol.

Man, when I see your hair, it makes me want to go get the dye RIGHT NOW.

But I must be level headed and logical.

I think I will ask my employer what they think. Not that I care all that much, it should be a personal choice. But I know some employers are kinda picky about piercings and the such.

Dementia1013
July 10th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Ah! And there she is. The woman with the gorgeous purple hair.

I will definitely post pictures no matter what I decide. I post them anyway lol.

Man, when I see your hair, it makes me want to go get the dye RIGHT NOW.

But I must be level headed and logical.

I think I will ask my employer what they think. Not that I care all that much, it should be a personal choice. But I know some employers are kinda picky about piercings and the such.

:D
I'm flattered that you like my hair so. I've been able to get away with it for almost 9 years now. I've been manager at several retail stores, sang in some prestigious choirs and I think the reason for this is because I don't make a big deal of it.

Alot of people mainly the rebellious teens dye their hair then make the loudest hairstyle they can think of... mohawk, liberty spikes, the japanese hair in a blender look. etc. I don't do that . I just treat it as my hair. If they say no to the color you may want to ask about streaks, alot of work places are less strict about that.

My hair coloring process is in my blog. Granted it's not too terribly detailed, but if you have any further questions you can always feel free to message me. :D

masterofmidgets
July 10th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I have three inch wide streaks in the front that I've been dyeing for about two years - my hair's dark enough that I have to bleach, but it's a small enough area that I don't feel too guilty about it, since the rest of my hair is virgin. Right now it's purple. Last year it was blue. It's bright candy apple red in all my graduation pictures.

I'm really glad I do it. It's a lot of fun, and it makes me feel like I stand out from the crowd a little more. I get a lot of compliments on it, especially the first week after I dye it when it's really bright. The only person who really gets on my case about it is my grandma, and she doesn't like my tattoo or my jewelry or all my comic books, either, so I don't pay her a lot of mind. It's never really been a problem at work - at my campus job no one cares, and last summer when I was working in a 'business casual' type place no one seemed bothered.

I say go for it!

goodenough
July 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I have dyed my hair with "Preference" from the grocery store in Soft Black twice (years ago) to cover up other dye jobs I had tired of. I always LOVED the way my hair turned out.

If you want to go more natural, I'm not an expert, but I think you could use indigo and henna?

GlassEyes
July 10th, 2009, 07:10 AM
If you're going to do it, DO NOT USE KOOL AID. EVER. It sucks. xD; You'd be better off using beet juice.

Go with special effects.

I recently dyed in unnatural highlights of red in the front of my hair (yes, I kind of want purple too, but my henna won't allow it), however, my employers don't care, and the next day when I went to work, I'd already been one-upped by my co-worker dyeing her hair neon purple, sooooo...

It may become a problem later, but hopefully not.

Xandergrammy
July 10th, 2009, 08:07 AM
[COLOR=#800080]I think I will actually post an article about... I get many people asking me about my process. :D

I have no intention to ever try and make my hair purple, but I love your hair so much that I hope you do write an article so I can see how you get that gorgeous color and shine. :flowers:

Periwinkle
July 10th, 2009, 08:08 AM
If your employer says no, have you thought about streaks? You could dye a section in the centre of you hair (so it would be covered by the canopy and would only show as a small streak in a bun, but you could do a half-up to show it off). Alternatively, you could buy some clip-in streaks.

Pegasus Marsters
July 10th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I've never had the employer issue to worry about (too young, haha!) but I've had quite a few colours in recent years. My most extreme was probably the white streak I bleached into the front of my hair, ala Rogue from X-men. It was pretty awesome, but very damaging.

Basically I've always just done whatever the hell I want with my hair and sod everybody else. Just wear it how you love it. :)

Merewen
July 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
As far as clip-in-streaks go, you could even make your own. I'm in the process of collecting shed hair to make fun colored streaks because I'm way too chicken to do anything to the hair still on my head. I've got bottles of purple, pink, and teal dye waiting in my bathroom cupboard. It's gonna be awesome.

lora410
July 10th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Well, if you do a deep purple your company may not even notice it. I want my hair purple too but my fiancee says no way. Since he has to look at it daily I take his thoughts into account as well.

Petra
July 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
If your employer says no, have you thought about streaks? You could dye a section in the centre of you hair (so it would be covered by the canopy and would only show as a small streak in a bun, but you could do a half-up to show it off). Alternatively, you could buy some clip-in streaks.

Streaks work well and look subtle, but cool. I had purple streaks on one side and red (using conventional demi-permanent dye) put in just below the canopy so as to be subtle when my hair was down but I had blocks of color and a cool looking bun when I pulled my hair back whe I worked in a very conservative corporate environment. I didn't get any flack about it at all--generally only complements. I redid them with henna now that I'm poor (several times as the henna seems to fade on my hair) and I still get complements on it all the time--you can see one of the blocks of red in my siggie pix. I've got more pix of the streaks right after I did them the first time in my album (they look more orange-hennaish there before the color oxidized) if you would like some ideas. I did a post a long while back on how I did it too--you could probably search henna streaks and find it.

Evilynn
July 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I absolutely recommend Special Effects dye. With them I got a very, very bright red (or dark pink, depending on which shade I favoured at the time) without having to bleach first (my hair is a warm medium-ish blonde), and their purples are supposed to be every bit as good.

FWIW I got my first job in my "real" field when I had half a head of purple hair. The bottom layer was purple, the top layer was blonde, I wore a purple shirt and my manager never actually noticed the purple! I have an office job though, so I've never had a dress code beyond "clean & no holes". ;)

Dementia1013 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=22627)'s hair makes me want to dye my hair purple again, it is absolutely gorgeous.

LadyGunn
July 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Dementia is one of my hair idols. I could never pull that off with my skin colouring, but I'm still tempted to try.

I just put purple Manic Panic streaks on over my virgin brown hair without bleaching first. My friend who helped (new member Tabbyg20 :waving:) wrapped the streaks in tin foil & used the blow-fryer some to help heat-set it. It's been a week today & I have to really look to find the sections, even on my naturally lighter & dry ends. I have pictures of the first day in my album. Of course, now that someone mentioned their bleached & coloured streak, I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks & then see what happens... :eyebrows:

As far as work goes, I'm the receptionist for a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility, so appearance is fairly important. (Scary thought :p ) I asked my boss what she thought before even considering too seriously (didn't want to get my hopes up) & she said there shouldn't be a problem. The big boss never even noticed. :shrug:

fae
July 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
wow.

You guys are so awesome. Most people would be like "you wanna do what now?"

The streaks are a definite idea.

my hair is a medium brown with blonde highlights at the ends. I don't know if they really shows in the length pictures, but you can totally see it in some of the updo pics.

What can they really say about streaks?

Thanks!

Demetrue
July 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM
i was thinking 2 things - You could dye the entire underside purple and just leave the canopy natural and then if it's up in a bun or worn down straight, all they see is your natural hair color for the most part. The purple would only be evident if they were looking at you from the back and it would be coiled up into a bun anyway, so not as obvious. Then, when you're not at work, you could pull the canopy back into a half-up or a mini-braid and then most of what you would see would be purple.

fae
July 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
hmmm....

That is an idea. I'm not sure what that would look like irl, but it might work.

I'm going to ask. See what they say. If they say that I can't dye it all purple, then I will gently inform them that I will be doing streaks. And the color of my hair in no way dictates what type of care I provide.

We will see.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I don't have anything to add other than good luck!! and post pics!! :flower:

Yttrai
July 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
My hair is medium blonde, so i never bothered to bleach.

Sometimes i would do a full manic panic, but there is always the conditioner route:

I have 4 bottles of conditioner that each contain about half a tub of manic panic - one Purple Haze, one Vampire REd, and two that are mixes of Cobra and Infrared. The two mixes make my hair look pretty naturally red-brown or auburn, but i used the Purple Haze all last year.

(I'm taking 2 years off work to go back to school, so i can do this right now. And if my hair is red and not blonde when i job hunt, i figure that'll be easier to transition back to purple than from blonde.)

Anyway, when i felt like a colour change, i'd just change which conditioner i used. Going from red to purple takes forever if you don't do a full out dye job, but going from blonde to purple only took a few weeks. And of course, it wasn't "purple' with this method, but merely a deep auburn with distinct purple streaks.

I know people have better luck with Punky or Special FX, so use your own experience with your own hair on that. But the gradual conditioner method is nice for working people who want to add a crazy colour but also want to stop halfway or make a custom colour. Also, if i use a more concentrated purple on a Friday night, but Sunday used my Cobra/Red, it could be wilder on the weekend and tamer during the week.

Good luck and photos would be awesome :)

fae
July 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Yttrai

Can I PM you for more details. That gradual plan sounds fantastik.

Plus, I can stop at what shade purple I like. The auburn with purple streaks sounds really nice and not so out there.

Not that I think a full head of purple is out there. It's just yanno, ppl judge on first sight.

Amara
July 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
No recommendations, just think about how long you might want it (I mean length of time) to be black, and then think about the growing out process. If those two things don't phase you, then go for it!!

fae
July 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Actually, the growing out time does phase me. That's why I hesitate to do it.

When the black grew out the last time, I ended up two toned because I like bleached it or something stupid. I didn't understand how the whole thing worked.

I hated it.

If I dye it all black it will stay that way for a while.

NiAosSi
July 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I had a white streak, too! I love Rogue!:hifive:

I've never had the employer issue to worry about (too young, haha!) but I've had quite a few colours in recent years. My most extreme was probably the white streak I bleached into the front of my hair, ala Rogue from X-men. It was pretty awesome, but very damaging.

Basically I've always just done whatever the hell I want with my hair and sod everybody else. Just wear it how you love it. :)

longhairedfairy
July 10th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I absolutely recommend Special Effects dye. With them I got a very, very bright red (or dark pink, depending on which shade I favoured at the time) without having to bleach first (my hair is a warm medium-ish blonde), and their purples are supposed to be every bit as good.
I tried the purple once and it worked pretty well considering I'd never dyed my hair before and I got one side more intensely colored than the other (it was just a stripe on each side in front).:lol: Unfortunately it doesn't go with my complexion, which is odd since I normally look good in deep purple. I did NOT bleach my hair first (my hair would never stand up to that:p I like this smiley), so it faded in a couple months or so, but it did show up pretty well. My hair is medium brownish and not very porous.

longhairedfairy
July 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
i was thinking 2 things - You could dye the entire underside purple and just leave the canopy natural and then if it's up in a bun or worn down straight, all they see is your natural hair color for the most part. The purple would only be evident if they were looking at you from the back and it would be coiled up into a bun anyway, so not as obvious. Then, when you're not at work, you could pull the canopy back into a half-up or a mini-braid and then most of what you would see would be purple.
I bet that would look really neat braided.:)

Nyghtingale
July 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Dementia is one of my hair idols too. I love that you treat it like hair that just happens to be purple. I wish I could get away with it. My kids are horrified that at my age, I still paint my nails purple, and a purse that has green and black skulls on it. :alien:
In my defense though, I wasn't wearing my glasses when I bought it and just thought it was a pretty green and black pattern, lol

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Dementia is one of my hair idols too. I love that you treat it like hair that just happens to be purple. I wish I could get away with it. My kids are horrified that at my age, I still paint my nails purple, and a purse that has green and black skulls on it. :alien:
In my defense though, I wasn't wearing my glasses when I bought it and just thought it was a pretty green and black pattern, lol

waiiiit.. what?? you can be too old for that stuff?? :run:

Roseate
July 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Actually, the growing out time does phase me. That's why I hesitate to do it.

That's one of the nice things about Manic Panic- if you do it without bleaching, it just wears off. I used to do my whole head purple with MP- I have dark blonde hair with some natural light blonde streaks in the canopy, and the effect was pretty cool- the light parts were intense purple, the rest was more like a purplish highlight.

Some blondes have trouble with it staining their hair permanently, but that didn't happen to me. It did take a long time to fully come out of the lightest parts, and they were quite an ugly bruise-color once I decided to let it fade, but eventually it left.

I had that hair when I got hired for my job at the time, so my employer knew what he was getting into!

rhosyn_du
July 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've had my hair all manner of strange colors over the years (currently, I've got purple and black bangs), and I agree with Dementia that acting like your hair color is no big deal goes a long way toward people not getting weirded out by it.

bridgetsgirl
July 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I know people have better luck with Punky or Special FX, so use your own experience with your own hair on that.

I'm gonna second Punky Colour! I've used a few of their colors to make clip-in streaks and ponytails...bold, beautiful color every time, and the Sally's hair was in better shape afterward. A while back, I bleached the last 2 inches of my already-fried hair and colored it with Plum. It started out dark, but faded into a beautiful purple...it also made those tortured ends soooo silky! Unfortunately, my hair was quite far-gone soon after, to where I had little purple bits all over my sink every morning.
But I digress...

Plum is a rather bold, dark shade to begin with, but seems to fade nicely. I can't say anything about Violet or Purple, as I haven't tried them yet.
http://www.punky.com/punkycream.html
http://www.folica.com/Jerome_Russell__r859_1.html (lots of great reviews and images here. *is jealous of all that pretty hair that she can't have * )
HTH

AnneAdeline
July 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Wow, I have so been enabled! I want to dye my hair a crazy color now!

Have you thought about just trying a temporary black? That way you don't have to grow it out--it'll just wash out. If you just dye with purple (I used Special Effects in the past and it worked great) over your natural color it will probably look black indoors. Under sunlight or bright light, it should shine purple.

I think I'm going to raid my bathroom for my old dyes and go do a streak in my hair. :D

jlpearce
July 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM
How funny, I was just going to post a question very similar to yours! I saw this picture yesterday (http://jezebel.com/5309252/laker-girls) and now want blue hair like I have never wanted anything else. I'm a grad student, working at a super cool nonprofit, so now's the time to do it, if ever!

Does anyone know if there is a way to bleach your hair so it won't completely fry it? Or, if it does fry it, it's relatively repairable frying?

Also, Dementia1013, I'm so new I can't read blogs yet. Is there any way I can see your blog on how you do your hair? I can give you my email if you'd like. Thank you!

Quixii
July 10th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Oh, very cool! Since I first joined this site, Dementia's hair stood out to me. I love it! I've dyed my hair several times, but I've never been willing to do my whole hair. Streaks, sure. Bangs, sure. Ends, sure. But my whole head? I dunno, something just goes, "But what if I mess up/it looks bad?" and I don't. But I'm happy with just doing bits. You can see some pictures of what I've done in my album.
I also did rainbow streaks once. Cool, but not as vibrant as if I'd done bleach (which I absolutely don't want to do).
I agree with Dementia's comment that "people don't really mind because I just treat it like hair." I don't have a job, as I'm still in school, but a girl that didn't really associate with me once told me after not long after I did the pink and purple ends, that I "was able to pull off the funky colour" even though white chicks like me usually couldn't. Or something along those lines; that seemed to be what she was hinting at. I forget exactly what she said. She complimented me on it almost every PE period as I put it in a braid until it all washed out. Now my hair's all natural colour again. :D

ZadenWillowfyre
July 11th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I had always wanted a funky color so I went ahead and used a temporary dye. It was really fun and I enjoyed it. Some of us just need to funkyness every now and again.

fae
July 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
ZadenWillowfyre

Firstly, I love your siggie.

Second, a temp color sounds good.

I like that a lot of members have mentioned that a purple would look black indoors and have purple streaks out of doors.

I can live with that, really. I really wanna avoid the "OMG, what did you do with your hair" and the "whats wrong with her" comments.

Since I have never used products, can I just search for a temp dye on google? Or is there dyes that are hair friendly that I should look for?

longhairedfairy
July 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
If it's likely to be a problem at work, I wonder if you could dye it black, then gradually mix in more and more purple and less and less black every time you dye it again. Then the change wouldn't be as much of a shock and it would be like it's sneaking up on them.:D

fae
July 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
thats is a good idea...

This is all of course dependant on me not getting cold feet and not doing it all.

Knowing me, I will probably have the dye in my hand and wimp out.

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I'd perhaps ask them... it may be cool to dye the top part black and random strands purple on the underlayer? Then you'd have two-toned hair without the stark line in the middle. If they didn't like it you could always take your hair down.

Evie
July 12th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Just my :twocents:, I had a friend at uni who used to bleach her dark hair (she was Italian, and had short hair, so the damage wasnt' so great...) and then dyed it lilac. Like others on here, she just treated it as her hair, she didn't make a big deal about it.

It looked great!.....not to enable or anything....:eyebrows:

If you go ahead, I'd love to see a pic?????;)

fae
July 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I will post whatever I decide.

I think I am leaning more toward a darker purple so that it isn't shocking. Just imagining what my mom would say (are you worshipping the devil?) is making me cringe.

Yttrai
July 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thank you for this thread :)

I was inspired, even though i want to try staying blonde for a while, to put the pink streaks back in. They are subtle, barely noticeable (after only 1 application) but i did want to thank you.

zen_oven
July 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I understand--I've always wanted to dye my hair a wild color, probably purple too! With my job I really can't do that (I'm a librarian working for a conservative county) but I can dream!

I looked at Manic Panic once myself, but the idea of having to bleach it scared me off too.

fae
July 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you for this thread :)

I was inspired, even though i want to try staying blonde for a while, to put the pink streaks back in. They are subtle, barely noticeable (after only 1 application) but i did want to thank you.

Yay! I'm glad you like what you did. I really don't think it should be big deal really. But people being people will find a way to make it into something it's not.

Are going to post pics?

Celebrian
July 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
You've got to post pics if you do decide to go through with it! :D

If you have any specific questions, I'm more than happy to tell you what I do and how I maintain my color, but please bare in mind that everybody's hair is different. What works for me, may not work for you.

I think I will actually post an article about... I get many people asking me about my process. :D

Yes, yes, but WHAT makes your hair purple? What dye do you use? Which color - and by whom?

Your Blog just seems to mention the bleach developer and then something called ION from Sally's... :rolleyes:

See, you've got me at this now! Would a MP purple (or similar) have any kind of effect on dark brown hair - I mean, out of doors or in sunshine, at least...

Fae, just do one widish streak to start, and see if they like it. Or ask 'em if you could just do a streak and show them... ?

fae
July 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, yes, but WHAT makes your hair purple? What dye do you use? Which color - and by whom?

Your Blog just seems to mention the bleach developer and then something called ION from Sally's... :rolleyes:

See, you've got me at this now! Would a MP purple (or similar) have any kind of effect on dark brown hair - I mean, out of doors or in sunshine, at least...

*raises hand*

Me too me too!

I want to know.

Celebrian
July 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM
*raises hand*

Me too me too!

I want to know.

Fae, I added something to my post above, for you...

Not exciting, but just a thought... :D

fae
July 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I was thinking streak....but i think if I can it to look black indoors mostly with a more purple tone or highlights outdoors, I don't think that they would really say anything. It's not like its neon purple...just darker than my natural color.

that's what im going to try for anyway.

masterofmidgets
July 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I use Manic Panic to do my hair. Most of the length of my streaks are a nice bright purple (or whatever the color of the month is ;)), but since I haven't had a chance to bleach in a few months, I've got several inches at the top that is my natural brown. On that part of my hair, the Manic Panic makes it really dark, with a subtle purple tint that shows up in sunlight. It's kinda nice actually.

dragonfrog
July 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
My boyfriend's sister used to dye her hair purple. Her hair is very dark brown (very similar to mine) and she used SFX over unbleached hair. It simply appeared dark indoors, but in the sunlight or other bright lights the purple was visible.

I am very, very tempted to do something similar to my hair (at this point I've been thinking about it on and off for years). If you go purple, I'd love to see pictures!

fae
July 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
My boyfriend's sister used to dye her hair purple. Her hair is very dark brown (very similar to mine) and she used SFX over unbleached hair. It simply appeared dark indoors, but in the sunlight or other bright lights the purple was visible.

I am very, very tempted to do something similar to my hair (at this point I've been thinking about it on and off for years). If you go purple, I'd love to see pictures!

I will have to look up your album. Your hair in your avatar looks darker than mine.

Thats exactly what I want.

*off to find your album*

Yes, upon looking your hair is a lot darker than mine. I wonder if this means I have to dye it a darker color first and then do the purple?

I am so not good at choices.

Gypsy
July 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Okay I went ahead and did the underside of my hair like I said I was going to but in doing so it revealed a lot of damage and splits so I ended up cutting 6 inches off.
So to sum up, I do not have the hair color I was hoping for (the purple only got to the blue stage before I noticed the damage and rinsed it out) but on the plus side, I think my hair in general looks better having taken that much gnarliness off it.
I knew it was going to have to happen sooner or later but I was apparently of the mindset that it will just go away if I ignore it (because that works SO well.:rolleyes:) but now I am that much more closer to my goal of having one length hair even though I went from below bra strap to above apl.
I really hope your color goes a lot better than mine did!!!
P.S. I am not complaining, I am actually looking at this as a positive and a step forward for better hair health.

teela1978
July 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Okay. Now you've got me wanting to play with color. This woman (http://www.manicpanic.com/best%20hair%20color/deadlynightshade.html) seems to have used manic panic on virgin hair and I LOVE the look. Browsing around there really are some neat examples of how it can look on darkish/natural hair. My main fear is that it would end up with a demarcation though. Demarcation is bad. If my hair could look like that and go back to normal in a couple months I'd probably do it.

Roseate, how long is a 'real long' time for it to fade??

Bellalalala
July 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I always wanted indigo hair.

After killing my hair with dyes and bleach going from light to dark and dark to light, I finally grew out my virgin hair. I'm naturally light brown, so indigo would be very easy for me to achieve.

Still, like some of you, I hesitated to make such a permanent bold statement...what if I got bored with it? I would have to dye it black, yet again. I was so sick of black as the "hmm...well, how am I going to fix this?" solution.

So, I bought a really nice, long, indigo wig. I wore it almost every day for about a month, and I loved it! LOVED IT!

Then....I got bored.

That was years ago, but I still bust out the luscious indigo whenever I feel like a change.

Reptilia
July 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I've always wanted dark brown hair with deep purple "highlights" :p

rhubarbarin
July 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I know a girl with hip to classic brown hair who dyes the last foot purple. It looks really cool, and can easily be tucked away into an updo for school or work.

Dementia1013
July 28th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Okay I went ahead and did the underside of my hair like I said I was going to but in doing so it revealed a lot of damage and splits so I ended up cutting 6 inches off.
So to sum up, I do not have the hair color I was hoping for (the purple only got to the blue stage before I noticed the damage and rinsed it out) but on the plus side, I think my hair in general looks better having taken that much gnarliness off it.
I knew it was going to have to happen sooner or later but I was apparently of the mindset that it will just go away if I ignore it (because that works SO well.:rolleyes:) but now I am that much more closer to my goal of having one length hair even though I went from below bra strap to above apl.
I really hope your color goes a lot better than mine did!!!
P.S. I am not complaining, I am actually looking at this as a positive and a step forward for better hair health.

Sorry to hear that the purple didn't work out...glad that you got rid of some damage though. :D

Dementia1013
July 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry everyone. I just read through and saw many questions addressed to me, that I didn't see until now.

To answer the question 'what hair dye do I use' I apologize I could have sworn I wrote it in my blog and/or this thread, but apparently not. I use RAW color 'Deep purple' formerly 'Purple Passion'

missmandy
July 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM
if you are going to dye it purple, i 100% recommend Special Effects above all others. I have a friend with purple hair, and it's amazing!

Evie
July 29th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Okay. Now you've got me wanting to play with color. This woman (http://www.manicpanic.com/best%20hair%20color/deadlynightshade.html)seems to have used manic panic on virgin hair and I LOVE the look. Browsing around there really are some neat examples of how it can look on darkish/natural hair. My main fear is that it would end up with a demarcation though. Demarcation is bad. If my hair could look like that and go back to normal in a couple months I'd probably do it.

Roseate, how long is a 'real long' time for it to fade??

Ok, so I now have the order for Special Effects IN, (thanks to advice from the amazing Dementia1013) and I'm impatiently checking the mail! I have dark henndigo hair anyway, so I'm aiming for a purple glaze in the sun / bright light, only, so should be good. I plan to leave it on overnight....and of course I will post pics - I am so excited!!!

Ages ago, I had plum sections put in when I used chemical dye, and it looked great......

Yay :cheese: I love being enabled :cheese::cheer::joy::cheer::disco:

Evie
July 31st, 2009, 04:18 AM
So I did it....

I bought these two products

Virgin Rose (http://www.beeunique.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=568)

Deep Purple (http://www.beeunique.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=14)

I decided I'd try the lighter one, Virgin Rose, first. I put it in the front sections of my hair only, and left it for about 2 hours. It rinsed very well, and I was really pleased that it left a pink 'glow' - I did this over henndigo, and so I normally get an orangy flare in the sun, but now it is lilac / pink. In darker lights it looks no different, but in bright light :cheese:I have some pinky/purple!! I tried to get pics, don't know how good they are, because it is a rubbish camera, but here you go....

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/evie_066/Purple2.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/evie_066/Purple3.jpg

It looks more pink IRL, so will try to post some additional photos. Also, I'm going to leave it on longer next time, and see how that works.

But I LOVE it!!!!!

GlassEyes
July 31st, 2009, 06:17 AM
Yeah, Virgin Rose is more a magenta than a purple, and it fades to a bright purple-pink on bleached hair. :D I love that color.

As far as Manic Panic fading, I'll grudgingly lend that it depends on the hair, porous/not, coarse/fine, bleached/unbleached, but I have rather porous hair, bleached to orange, and it faded in less than a week. The front of my hair is now orange, and I need to redye.

I'm ordering dye this week, but I haven't decided just yet what color I want. The orange from henna is light enough that I think I can get away with most colors other than blue, and maybe green (it'd probably go on okay, but the fading would be more ghastly than the pokemon). I was thinking burgundy to match the rest of my hair color from henna...but I really like virgin rose. xD;

But I want to try out pravana since only one person here has used it, so I may give that a shot.

Arashi
August 1st, 2009, 04:53 AM
I blame this thread for tempting me to dye my hair blue now..! :D Well, not the entire thing.. I'm a natural blond and have dyed my hair black for years, so only my roots would be blue. Hopefully the black part would get a deep blue sheen to it, too. I've had this plan in my mind for a few years now.. I think I may take the plunge soon. :magic:

By the way, I had purple hair twice in the past. I got so many compliments and it looked lovely(it made my blue eyes look stunning, if I do say so myself)..my only complaint is that I couldn't wear certain clothing colors (like pink) with it. Even so, I'd definitely recommend purple for anyone who is seriously considering it.

Bellalalala
August 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Here's a very inexpensive purple wig if anyone wants to try purple out before dying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-SHIPPING-Long-Dark-Purple-Party-Hair-Wig-M30_W0QQitemZ260432246769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWomen_ s_Accessories_UK?hash=item3ca2f8b7f1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

busnutmedic
August 1st, 2009, 04:26 PM
I've heard kool-aid works. I don't know how well though.

I tried this when I was about 14. I did it secretly because I thought my mom would get upset with me for dying my hair, but I wanted to see if I could get red highlights out of red koolaid.

I think I just made up a fairly strong mix with a packet of powder and put it on my hair. Rinsed, and nothing seemed to have happened. The next day, I was bending over and my mom said "Bonnie, what's wrong with your scalp!!! What happened!?"

Not too much seemed to have happened to my hair, but my skin sure absorbed it!

Bellalalala
August 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM
This thread made me buy a purple wig, it looks blue in the pictures, but it's quite purple.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3715&pictureid=47683

Aer
August 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I would say go ahead and dye your hair whatever color you want, I'm a firm believer that adults should be able to do whatever they want with their appearance, but in your case, with your job, it may not be a smooth move to dye it purple. In my opinion, it really is none of their business what you do with your body, but you know how it goes, they probably want clean cut, and "professional" looking employees. If you work at a more liberal place maybe they won't care, you could ask.

sherigayle
August 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I just recently did purple on naturally brown hair. The brown came out with just a hint of color, but my grays came out very purple. There are pictures in my album. I used Punky Color Plum.

Culdayne
August 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM
To those who have used the special effects or manic panic on virgin or henna/hendigo hair: do these types of dye cause much damage? I am assuming not since they are 'temporary'. The damage, I am guessing, comes when you bleach first, etc.

After finally having the old dye damage cut, I wouldn't want to damage it. But, I would love to use some of the funky colors especially it it would mostly fade out.

But I do have some grey hair. Hmmmmm! Wonder what there lasting power is on those hairs. ;)

Evie: I really like how that turned out!

LadyGunn
August 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I used Manic Panic purple on virgin hair & it didn't stick around long at all. It's still on the bath mat, just not on my hair, with the exception of a few hints that I find only when doing S&D. I have pictures in my album of the streaks that I did on a Friday & were basically gone by Monday.

I've been debating with myself for the past month on whether or not to bleach two streaks - one at my left temple & another behind my right ear - so I can colour them funky colours. I have half a mind to just do a poll on my blog & go with whatever the answer is. I know I'd love the coloured streaks, but don't know about the damage & the upkeep for the bleach.

Miuku
August 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
If you have dyed your hair a, um, unconventional color, what was your deciding factor? Did you take into account what your employer may think or say?

I dyed my hair purple and orangey-yellow a few years ago, and maintained it ever since. The reason was that I like both colors and couldn't decide. The catch was that I didn't want to bleach, and my hair is naturally darkish medium brown with some gray, so the colors are not nearly as visible as on blond or bleached hair. The color was Elumen.

I generally avoid employers that presume to have an opinion on my hair, but in that particular case we had a guy with BSL purple-and-green hair, a guy in a skirt with hip-length hair braided with red and blue extensions, and a guy who used to bring his sword to work, so I guess the employer thought I was some kind of a conservative. :D

GlassEyes
August 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Pravana has turned my hair black. Even the bleached bits. T___________T;;

I'm hoping it fades a bit with washing, but I'm not that hopeful.

heatherdazy
August 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Have you considered a very deep purple-y black like Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?

Sieren
August 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I've been thinking of trying something like manic panic or punky colors in a blue color, over my dyed black hair, to get a more blue-black color. Right now, my hair is dyed with ION black dye, but I plan to keep it up by just indigo-ing over my natural medium brown hair as it grows in. I would really like it to have a blue tint!!

The only thing I'm worried about is that it will rub off on everything...that's what it said in some of the reviews I've read. Is there a certain brand that doesn't rub off as much?