PDA

View Full Version : stupid shower question

nostalgic
July 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but.... on your non-wash days, how do you all keep your hair dry while in the shower?! Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned but I'm at my wits end with showercaps! There has to be a better way... right? :o

persiandiva
July 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I hope this is helpful.

On my no-wash days I take a bath and wrap my hair in a towel.

Gumball
July 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Since I sleep with my hair braided then it makes it easy. When I take a shower in the morning I just fold the braid up against the back of my head and grab a large claw/jaw clip and it stays no prob. My head doesn't get wet so neither does my hair.

Laylah
July 9th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I just bun up my hair and use a hand-held thing that you can attach to the showerhead to wash the rest of me. I agree, shower caps are quite annoying =]

manderly
July 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Three ways:

1) clip hair up and I don't mind the nape are getting damp or a light misting on the surface
2) showercap :p
3) ummmm, I don't bathe between washes. My hair dictates when I bathe, unless I do something that gets me scuzzy :oops:

nowxisxforever
July 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I just leave my hair up in a bun, personally...

nowxisxforever
July 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Three ways:

1) clip hair up and I don't mind the nape are getting damp or a light misting on the surface
2) showercap :p
3) ummmm, I don't bathe between washes. My hair dictates when I bathe, unless I do something that gets me scuzzy :oops:

On 3, I don't really either. If I feel like I need a shower, I shower and either wash my hair early or keep it in a bun ('quick dip' showers)...elsewise, I shower when my hair needs me to, which is every 2-3 days typically. :oops:

RancheroTheBee
July 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I take baths. :p Seriously, on non-wash days, I take baths instead so that my hair re-curls* and I don't have to wait for it to dry.

*: It's a word NOW.

ericthegreat
July 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I CO rinse every day so I always get my hair wet! I have no non-rinse days! :D

But, say I'm going to the hot tub or I am just relaxing in the pool but not swimming, I have a variety of giant banana clips that I use to wear my hair up so it doesn't unnecessarily absorb all the harsh pool chemicals. I'll simply twist my hair up into a bun or twist it up and leave the rest of my hair to hang over the clip like a high ponytail.

nostalgic
July 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I didn't want to admit it but I've mostly been doing #3 on Manderly's list, lol. I take baths instead but they're usually a late night treat and I'm in them foreeeeever! The removable shower head sounds amazing but I'm not in a position to have one of those right now. I guess I need to master the whole 'hair up while I shower thing.' Thanks again guys and I'm happy to hear more suggestions!

Zindell
July 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I just put it up in a very high ponytail. Now when my hair starts to get a (little) longer I just "fold" the ponytail to keep it shorter.

In Sweden our shower handles are not fixtured to the wall as I saw was common in the US. So it's really easy to shower without wetting hair since I just take down the handle and shower my body.

(Do I make any sense at all?)

Jessikinz
July 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I just leave my hair in the updo that it's in. Usually I will tilt/move the shower head down so that water won't touch my head. My shower head is a handle one too, that you can take off and go over your body with.

Wicked Princess
July 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I take my showers in the morning after I've finished working out, so I just end up sticking my hair in a sloppy bun with an ugly-but-useful jaw clip. It stays out of the water just fine, and when I stand with my back under the water, it gets a light misting - which makes it easier to style in my updos when I'm done, hehe.

Embrace the efficiency that comes with laziness!

JKRBeloved
July 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I make a bun with a short hair stick and put either a Buff or a shower cap over it.

Ryanne
July 10th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Hairsticks, (braided) buns and hairscroos. As long as it's up and out of the way.

JamieLeigh
July 10th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I have always been a fan of the shower cap myself - but on days when one is not available, I wrap my hair and head in a towel (I use a turbie-twist; see photo - but keep in mind that I had worn it for over an hour by that time, and it was starting to slip off, lol) and it stays dry.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2242&pictureid=27379

may1em
July 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I wash my hair every 4-7 days usually, but I shower almost every day.

For hair-washing showers, I face away from the stream. For body-only showers, I keep my hair up and face into the stream (but stand far enough away so my head doesn't get wet).

mtstorm
July 10th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'll admit it I am #3 on the list. :P When I do a body only wash I put my hair up in a simple bun with a hair stick.

Nyghtingale
July 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Up in a bun usually

Amara
July 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm seconding the bath option... I really only shower when I wash my hair - I'm a bath person at heart. :)

That said, I do have to shower sometimes when I'm not washing my hair, and a tight, high bun works great. My hair gets a tiny bit of mist, but that just means the coconut oil on the ends holds in some extra moisture. :)

coolbreeze212
July 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Showercap, usually.

AnneAdeline
July 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I usually only shower once in between hair washes. When I do that I just put my hair up. I often us one of those jaw clips, too.

zen_oven
July 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I just tie it up with a scrunchie. I don't mind if it gets a little damp, and I often get the ends wet on purpose anyway--my hair likes water.

Not a stupid question at all! I hate shower caps too.

DragonLady
July 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I love both long hot baths and short warm showers. When I bathe, I put my hair up with a cheap plastic stick. In the shower, I just use a plastic grocery bag. I used to buy shower caps, but they were always uncomfortable. I learned the grocery bag trick from a friend -just put it over your hair, and tie the handles close to your forehead.

nostalgic
July 10th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to have to perfect keeping my head away from the water stream, haha. Thank you all for your hints and tips!

ZadenWillowfyre
July 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I mostly jut have my hair up in a top knot type thing or in a shower cap.

ChatoyantLocks
July 11th, 2009, 06:24 AM
What has worked well for me is a plastic grocery bag held closed at the top by a little barrette. Looks funny, but it works! :)

cindy58
July 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I twist it up in a quick sloppy bun with a hairstick. It's been awhile, but I think when it was too short to put up I may have used a shower cap for awhile.

Rentlle
July 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
put a clip in my hair so it stays dry. :)
then take the shower-thing of it's holder and wash like that ;)