PDA

View Full Version : Keep me from cutting! (Pics)

LittleOrca
July 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I apologize for the frumpy look in the photo. I had just gotten up and I am losing weight so my clothes are not always as nice on me anymore.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Cutornot2.jpg

My question is, do I cut? My hair is tailbone (middle tailbone) and if I cut I will be back at waist. I don't want to lose so much hair, but the more I look at my ends when I am combing them they more I want to cut. I know that if I do cut I am going to BAWL my eyes out and freak out and maybe even slip into an anxiety attack (gotta love that issue :rolleyes: )

I thought about maybe extending the cut line as well to where my shirt ends and my cat pants start. IF I were to cut, I might start there and if that wasn't enough move up from there.

My problem is, I don't really want to cut. I know I should to get rid of the crap, but I don't want to. I want to baby them and cut that off when the hair is longer so it wont be as big of a deal to me. I just keep putting my hair up in my ficcare and ignoring them for now. I S&D but with so much hair and so much strain on my eyes, I only do about 50-100 hairs at a time, so I feel like I am always S&Ding and not getting anywhere. When I put my hair up I feel a little better and tell myself "I will trim at the end of summer so I benefit from this big growth period." (I don't know if my hair grows more in the summer than winter, but seeing as that is the majority idea around here, it sunk in. ;) ) But I might just say when I get to the end of summer "I don't really need to trim..." and I am not sure if I am waiting out that time so that I don't trim or if I really am waiting for more growth and another trim. Am I making any sense? I hope so.

I NEED HELP! :(

Here are some more pictures of my ends. Sometimes they look okay and other times they look horrid. These two pictures were taken on the same day. The left was taken inside and the right was taken outside (wind moved the ends to the side).

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Long%20Hair%20Journey/Hair2009.jpg...........................http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Hair20092.jpg

What do you think? Baby? Cut? Cheese?

NIGHTSHADE! I NEED YOU!
(She is like my growing-out-bad-ends-with-good-results-hero. :) )

jivete
July 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I thought about maybe extending the cut line as well to where my shirt ends and my cat pants start. IF I were to cut, I might start there and if that wasn't enough move up from there.

This is what I'd do. But, my goals are way differenent than yours.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
they don't look bad! if they bother you though, I would vote for micro tirms. You have beautiful hair!

lapushka
July 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I can't decide... well, that's not helping... :D

KajiKodomo
July 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I vote for not cutting. Maybe a very small micro-trim will make you feel a bit better about them? I think your ends look great, even in the pictures where you don't like them.

Technically, your natural waist is above the cut line you proposed in the first picture; it's the smallest part of your torso, which looks to be very soon after your BS line. I have the same deal going on. My waist is only a few inches south of the bottom of my bra-strap. Ah, the benefits of being short-waisted, haha! :D

Shorty89
July 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I think it looks okay, but if it's really bothering you I would cut. I had ends that I wasn't happy with and I kept on saying that I'd baby them and cut later, but I finally went ahead and trimmed them. I felt much better about my hair after. I would trim, at least to the pant line.

AJoifulNoise
July 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I sacrificed length for health this time last year. I cut 6 inches. It was huge deal because before that I hadn't cut my hair for almost 4 years (for religious reasons). Yes, I had a panic attack after I did it. But, I am so, so glad that I did. My ends are much better now. And it got me started on a trimming schedule (1-2" every 6 months).

Am I saying that you definitely should do it? No. But, if the ends are really bothering you... Well, then it might be a good choice. You can always cut off a bit at a time. Though, that will still leave you with ends you are unhappy with in the meantime.

Calista
Don´t cut if you don´t want to. It´s your hair after all. :shrug:

GlassEyes
Yeah, you wouldn't be cutting to waist. More like hip length.

If I'm honest, I'd cut. It's really not -too- much growth, granted, I know how hard it can be to cut off hard-earned length. But I prefer nice ends over bad ones, and if they're bothering you enough to post about it...:shrug:

Heidi_234
July 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Just out of a 2" cut, my ends were thin and my hemline looked quite bad. I didn't even feel like I lost length! I felt like my hair was longer after the trim. I'm so content with my hair right now, I'm so so glad I look the plunge! So it's not necessarily 'losing length', I think that you might cut off the last 1" and only feel better about your hair.
Don't cut all the way to waist though. I'd suggest to the end of the black shirt is much better. If those ends are damaged they are deemed to be trimmed. And don't forget to set the 2 week rule. :flower:

JamieRose
July 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I think I would cut, too. They're not bad, honestly, but if I were you I would enjoy my hair more if it were a few inches shorter with healthier ends as opposed to being annoyed at the ends I have. Maybe wait until the end of summer? They will grow back in no time. Your hair is gorgeous, by the way. :flower:

DragonLady
July 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
My ends look about the same. I intend to wait another couple of months, then have an inch trimmed off. I'm waiting in the hopes that I'll still be at least halfway to my goal after the trim. My hair tapers like yours, so I may never be able to reach my goal, but I'm going to try. So I'm waiting...in the meantime it is frustrating to see that kinda ragged looking hem.

ericthegreat
July 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM
If I were you I wouldn't touch my hair at all. I quite love fairy ends, they give hair a much more natural tapered look. A blunt chop on long hair does look thicker I will admit, but for me it always has that "artificial" quality to it. Your hair should look free and natural like a lion's mane, not like some huge powder brush.

If the ends really bother you that much, how about just taking 1 inch off? I've found that many times just a tiny trim is all you really need to make your entire head of hair suddenly come alive!

sweet*things
July 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Are your ends completely crunchy, or just rather split? Fairy tale ends enhance the mermaid look, I imagine, so unless there's major condition problems I wouldn't do more than a little trim(<1"). Your color, shine and waves are beautiful, btw, so you've got nothing to stress about. :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM
A blunt chop on long hair does look thicker I will admit, but for me it always has that "artificial" quality to it. Your hair should look free and natural like a lion's mane, not like some huge powder brush.

*giggle* I have thought the same thing!

magpielaura
July 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I say it depends what your goal hemline is - if you want blunt ends, maybe cut a bit to achieve this and grow slowly with little trims every couple of months.

However if you like fairy-tale ends (and you've got pretty fairy-tales happening!) carry on S&Ding, oiling, moisturizing them. You could cut a tiny bit in a V shape if you want a slightly thicker fairy-tale shape.

I think your hair is looking good - it seems shiny at the ends!

Roseate
July 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Beautiful hair! I love the fairy-tale ends, but if it was my hair I would trim a bit.

It seems like the last few inches are more uneven, less of a gentle taper, and I would vote for losing about 2". I don't think you need to go all the way back to waist, at all.

Whatever you decide, your hair will be gorgeous! It already is. :flowers:

Nightshade
July 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
NIGHTSHADE! I NEED YOU!
(She is like my growing-out-bad-ends-with-good-results-hero. :) )

Awww, I'm flattered. :grouphug:

I've been there, it sucks :(

Honestly? Trim a bit, but nothing you'll miss. I know you want to keep growing, so how about an inch or so to get you started. Then see how you feel next month. If they still bother you, take half your growth off, so say 1/4 in. Reevaluate next month, maybe take another 1/4in off. Repeat as necessary.

Does it take forever? Yes. But it works :flowers:

And if your ends are like mine were, you'll "grow" more if you trim a titch off the ends as it'll slow down your breakage.

Hang in there, if you don't want to cut lots, don't. Just go for gradual improvement :blossom:

LittleOrca
July 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Are your ends completely crunchy, or just rather split? Fairy tale ends enhance the mermaid look, I imagine, so unless there's major condition problems I wouldn't do more than a little trim(<1"). Your color, shine and waves are beautiful, btw, so you've got nothing to stress about. :)

They aren't crunchy at all. They look gross and horrid (to me on most days, there are times I like them) but they are soft and I don't have problems with them tangling unless it's windy (and then my hair is usually up.)

My fiancé is hovering over my shoulder right now looking to see how many people tell me to leave my hair alone, since that is his vote. Each one is a score for him in his mind. What a nerd. ;)

eshta
July 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
They don't look bad to me. I would say micro trims as well. You can even do micro trims for a week or so until you reach a length you can still live with and feel better about the ends. You can even do that over de course of a month if you like. Better to take off little at a time than to regret a bigger chop.

Misha
July 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Go with what would make you feel good about your hair.

I would (and have) cut the damage off for healthy ends. But if you feel that you would be truly upset by losing the length, then don't cut a large amount. Maybe try small steps to rid the damage (such as 1.5 - 2 inches every so often). Your hair is beautiful regardless, I can't wait until mine is even approaching that length!

And here is a hug for good measure (hehe, no pun intended) - :grouphug:

DarkChocolate
July 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I think that you should trim to the extended line. I went through the same dilemma last year. My longest ends were to my tailbone but it was literally twenty to thirty hairs. When I put my hair in a ponytail and stood a certain way in the natural light it made me look like I had alot of hair but when I looked at my hair down those few ends took away from the rest of the hair. I went through a love/hate relationship with my fairytale ends and I finally cut them. I was sad at first but I kept reminding myself that the next time my hair reached the point of tailbone more strands would have caught up and I think that this is currently happening:( I understand your frustration because it is a long wait for your hair to catch up:(

I hope this helps:)

I went from this:

April 2008

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/CocoaPanther/DSC00963-1.jpg

to this:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/CocoaPanther/DSC01529-1.jpg

and my end are starting to fill in, picture was taken a few weeks ago:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/CocoaPanther/DSC01876-1.jpg

Tap Dancer
July 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I think your hair would look better if you cut it. :twocents:

Deb!
July 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I'd cut a few inches off.

Your hair is a gorgeous color. From your avatar photo, I figured you'd have dark hair, not gold.

melrose1985
July 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I dont think it's looks bad at all... ANd if you really dont want to cut then DONT!!!!

By the way! Your top looks really baggy, kudos to you for the weight lost!!!!!

pdy2kn6
July 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I think it really depends on what your aiming for? If its terminal just tell yourself your ends will naturally replace themselves as you reach terminal. But if you want to perhaps like stay at a certain length and have the healthy possiblest hair I would say do a small trim. What are your hair growing goals/aims?

ZadenWillowfyre
July 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I honestly love your ends! They are very nice and perfect fairy tale. I think you would look lovey either way and you won't loose too much bulk length.

Stormsong
July 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
So, you're torn between two choices, to cut or not to cut. However, it's bothering you enough that you have posted, and I think you're looking for the midway choice, if there is one, that lets you keep length but remove ends.

I think you should go with Nightshade. Take off an inch now, that will probably solve a lot of your current problems that you think you have with the ends, but it's not enough to make a huge huge visible difference. Then next month take another hard look at them and decide if you still need to take a very little bit more off, but inbetween, perhaps keep it in updoes and try to 'forget' or at least, not think about them quite as much.

But with all these options, apply the two weeks waiting as well, then make the decision to cut or not cut. I think your hair looks great personally, but if the ends were bothering me enough to post, at that point I would know some of it's got to go, just which is the best option for doing it to maximise good ends against minimal length lost.

Well that was a bit of a wander, so just go with Nightshade, she speaks sense :D

redneckprincess
July 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I vote several micro trims over the next few months... but what is your goal...if you want big thick ends then yes cut more off (a little at a time, you can always cut more, you CANNOT add more back)..

PatGear
July 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I would cut but less than the line you had drawn. You mentioned the end of your shirt and that might be a good amount at the end, but I'd start with half of that and see.

LittleOrca
July 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I am still thinking it over while I am working on my Oregon Country Fair costume.

My final goal, which I should have mentioned in the OP (silly me) is to get my hair to ankle length. I would LOVE hair that long, but if I had to stop at knee or calf, I think I'd be ok with that too.

My idea was to grow out my shorter hairs, which are at the cut line, to classical then cut, but the more I look at it the more I am just... torn. :)

I will probably go with Nightshade's words for now, test it out, and if I am still unhappy, I can change guess :)

Deborah
July 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
If it were me I'd cut at least to waist. But it isn't me. I think you would feel better if your ends were at least a little less ragged, so I suggest that you trim off the bottom 3 or 4 inches. Then in a month or so, reassess. Maybe then you' ll want to trim more, but if not, you will still feel better that you have nicer looking ends.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

vintersaga
July 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM
If they feel okay, and you don't really want to cut it, I don't think you should.

But I... if my ends were split I would have cut them and then baby my ends carefully:)

fishwich
July 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I trimmed off 4" of mildly ratty ends a few months back--like yours, condition-wise, in that not-quite-perfect-condition way, and to be honest I regretted it greatly. I'd be about an inch shy of knee length if I hadn't cut, and I don't think the setback in reaching my goal was worth a slightly tidier hemline. Not even a little.

Unless those ends are truly fried, I'd recommend not cutting. To me they don't look nearly scruffy enough to cause yourself grief over.

Fireweed
July 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
You have lovely hair. If you don't want to cut it rght now then don't. You have all the time in the world to think on it , or just let it grow for now.

Toadstool
July 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
What do mermaids usually do about trimming?

Redheaded Raven
July 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I am still thinking it over while I am working on my Oregon Country Fair costume.

My final goal, which I should have mentioned in the OP (silly me) is to get my hair to ankle length. I would LOVE hair that long, but if I had to stop at knee or calf, I think I'd be ok with that too.

My idea was to grow out my shorter hairs, which are at the cut line, to classical then cut, but the more I look at it the more I am just... torn. :)

I will probably go with Nightshade's words for now, test it out, and if I am still unhappy, I can change guess :)

In order to get hair like you are wanting, you will go through phases that you don't like as well as others. I cut a total of 16 inches :shocked:
last year. I wish that I hadn't. I did like the way that it felt at the time, but I lost almost 2 years of growth. I did it because the ends were very thin. I guess I also felt very pressured to cut by the idea that it was just too fine on the ends. What I have since found is that my hair gains length that way. It adds small amounts of hair at a time due to sheds and other ways my growth happens. If I were to cut everytime I would not gain any long lengths. I have just learned to love my fairytale ends. I baby them and oil them and treat them gently. This is helping them to gain thickness. Do what you need, but don't do anything drastic or quickly that you will regret. I love your ends, btw. Mermaids have fairytale ends.

In the end just make yourself happy, you are the one you have to please.
Just make sure that it is you that you are pleasing and not some false image of what your hair should be.

I am wishing you mermaid length hair and strong beautiful locks. :D

Xan
July 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM
My final goal, which I should have mentioned in the OP (silly me) is to get my hair to ankle length. I would LOVE hair that long,

me too Little Orca that would be so cool, I saw a lady with ankle length once it was so awesome I thought I must have mine like that.

back to your question maybe a light dusting.

feralnature
July 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I vote "don't cut"!

I have always loved looking at your hair pics. You are such a real life mermaid and your hair suits you. I love your fairytale ends and I think your hair looks to be in fine condition.

Oh, and I love the baggie shirt :)

MuzicalH3rb
July 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
My boyfriend and I both say don't cut just baby them! Honestly, I think your ends are beautiful!

florenonite
July 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'd say take off a tiny amount, like 1/4". You'd be surprised how big a difference that makes to how your hair looks and feels to you, healthwise, but you lose practically no length.

wintersun99
July 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Xandergrammy
July 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I don't see any reason why you should cut your hair. It looks beautiful and you can just baby the ends.

Debra83
July 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't bother right now by the looks of the picture they are fine.

But, if they are anywhere as near as dry and crunchy as mine were when I just recently cut mine back JUST AS I REACHED APL GGGRRRRR - I can totally understand your desire to "off" them. AFTER I CUT THOUGH, Manderly mentionned I should have maybe tried a clarifying shampoo, because it could have been just build up making them feel like that. faint. Oh well, now I know for next time, AND NOW YOU KNOW BEFORE!!!!!

inertia
July 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I agree with the people suggesting a small (1~2 inches) trim. I just cut off about 3 cm yesterday, and honestly I can't see a noticeable difference in my length. It just looks thicker and feels better, that's all. Also, it's slightly easier to do buns now.

manderly
July 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I would honestly cut. It would really look fantastic if you cut off the damage, honestly. And it would feel fantastic.

I know it's hard losing length, but think of what you'll gain. And those damaged ends can't be fixed. They're just going to keep breaking, and breaking, and you won't see much change in the length and they'll get scragglier and possibly start to damage the hair that is in good shape.

Feye
July 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I don't think that there's any need for a big chop here. Just do tiny microtrims so that you can both grow longer and maintain the ends at the same time. Don't cut! I can hear that you don't want to do it.

If, let's say that your hair grows 1/2 inch each month, then trim off only 1/4 each month.

camirra555
July 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I think the suggestion of a one inch trim and then re- evaluating is a good one. Growing can be such a slow process so it's natural to want to hold on to every last millimeter. If you take off an inch you probably won't even notice it is gone! Make sure to post after pics if you do!

NebraskaChick84
July 10th, 2009, 12:21 AM
if you are that unhappy with your ends then a trim of about 2" might make you feel better. I had some issues a few months ago with my layers growing out, and eventually I did decide to take 2" off and although I did miss those inches my hair feels and looks so much better. good luck.

Feye
July 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
If I were you I wouldn't touch my hair at all. I quite love fairy ends, they give hair a much more natural tapered look. A blunt chop on long hair does look thicker I will admit, but for me it always has that "artificial" quality to it. Your hair should look free and natural like a lion's mane, not like some huge powder brush.

Haha, Eric's comment made me laugh. I'm the same, I plan to grow my hair to the point where it just begins to fairytale (regardless of the length) and then keep it there, because that's what I think is the most beautiful and natural-looking. I guess that makes me part lion, part powder brush ;)

Aronomy
July 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
The reason I'm voting for a 2 inch trim is....brushing becomes so much easier. The ends don't tangle and become more damaged because of the untangling that must be done. So if you trim, brushing becomes a breeze and helps the hair. So...1 to 2 inches is my vote. You wont notice the difference because the 1-2 inches doesn't include that much of your bulk of hair.

rose_in_bloom
July 10th, 2009, 12:53 AM
If it was my hair, I would trim 2-3 inches. I think having nice ends is worth sacrificing a little length. :)

Niphredil
July 10th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, you wouldn't be cutting to waist. More like hip length.

If I'm honest, I'd cut. It's really not -too- much growth, granted, I know how hard it can be to cut off hard-earned length. But I prefer nice ends over bad ones, and if they're bothering you enough to post about it...:shrug:
*emphasis mine*

I like this statement. If they are bothering you enough to post about it here, you might indeed benefit from a trim. Just don't do anything drastic, I think Nightshade has given a nice example of how to approach it.

That said, I like your ends and they don't need trimming in my opinion.

Wicked Princess
July 10th, 2009, 12:58 AM
If you do decide that you want a cut, why not trim 1/4" - 1/2"? You will probably like the feel of the ends, but you'll retain part of the fairy-tale-ness of your hair.

In all honesty, your ends look just fine to me! Then again, I'm a hair newbie, so I might not be the best source for advice, hehehe. Still, here are my two cents.

Let us know what you end up doing, please! My hair is your length too, but I've been on the fence about whether or not to trim it it back a couple inches (I have hard water here and despite my best efforts, it's affecting my hair. I'm moving soon, though). Since I see everyone here as being inherently smarter than me when it comes to their hair, I'd like to hear what you end up deciding :)

Carolyn
July 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
If it was my hair I think I'd trim off the center pointy part. It looks like 2" would get rid of that. If you goal is a thicker, straight across hemline then yes it's time to start doing some small trims. Be conservative. You can cut more later.

Charlotte
July 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I would start with a teeny trim - just half and inch maybe... you can always trim again in another 4 weeks or so and not really notice any sacrifice in length - just gradually thickening ends.... that's what I am doing at the moment. :)

goodenough
July 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Cut one inch off. I never seem to miss that amount.

ladylibra
July 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Here's my 2 cents. Once you grow it out longer, you won't wanna cut then either. You'll continue to never want to sacrifice your new length.

I went through a similar issue recently... my longest layer was MBL but my shortest one was APL. And the longer layer was not only getting out of hand with single-strand knots... but when I wore my hair "out" and not in a bun... it looked awful. Just downright awful. :( I finally gave in and snipped my longest layer to BSL. This made the shape better and got rid of the knots. Life is good again. :D

I snipped my ends in 2 separate sessions as well. It's better to take off bit by bit than too much at once. I say just snip an inch or 2, then assess to see if you need to snip more. Don't get scissor-happy and you should be fine. ;)

windinherhair
July 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I saw someone else on here that cut and it made a big difference. It doesnt look like that much to cut... but in the end it is your decision. :)

rags
July 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I agree with Nightshade. Cut no more than an inch, leave it for a while (important) and then decide what you want to do. Personally, I think your hair looks fantastic!

magpielaura
July 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Haha, Eric's comment made me laugh. I'm the same, I plan to grow my hair to the point where it just begins to fairytale (regardless of the length) and then keep it there, because that's what I think is the most beautiful and natural-looking. I guess that makes me part lion, part powder brush ;)

Now that would make a great user name!

eyesofsummer
July 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
If it's tangling because of the damage, thus causing more damage, I would cut. However, if it's not causing any real problems, I would maybe cut off an inch (tops!) and then continue with S&D. Maybe if you found a better light source it would be easier. I use one of those clip-on lamps that you can aim any which way (found it at Target). It usually sits clamped to a bed post so I can read and S&D alternatively :) Also, illuminating hair against a computer monitor can be easy on the eyes, too.

Darkhorse1
July 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'd trim. Recently I had an inch trimmed off my length and it made a HUGE difference. You also look as if you have natural wave, which I have as well. So, if your hair seems shorter at first, after a trim, it's because the wave will hike it up a bit. The damaged ends tend to weight it down--at least for me.

You have to be happy with your decision, so make sure you are comfortable and perhaps get someone to trim it for you--with waves, it's really hard to get a good blunt hemline--especially if your hair is like mine and twists the minute it's cut into ;)

Congrats on the weight loss too!!!

Spike
July 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I'd suggest to the end of the black shirt is much better.

Ditto this. This would thicken up your hemline, and I find my hair looks longer and happier with a blunter bottom line. Plus, you'd only lose an inch or two, rather than a year or more of growth.

I hear you about the whole micro trim and micro trim and micro trim and never get anywhere vs. take a chunk off and cry about it dilemma. :grouphug: Mark your calendar for two weeks, and take your time.

LadyLongLocks
July 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
If YOU do not like the ends then you should trim them. You may lose some length, but you will gain a whole new healthier look of your hemline.Better to love all of your hair!
Anyone who calls their ends "horrid and gross" seems ready.( its not either IMO)
Maybe do less than your photo and see how it looks to you. A small trim can do wonders.
I guess if you do a rounded trim you will retain more length compared to a blunt cut. I think a blunt cut would not look as pretty under water.
After your trim, be sure to protect your ends with your favorite oil before swimming.

Wanderer09
July 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I love your hair colour!

And I think everyone has given great advice already. Mine would be to cut off less than what the red line shows (maybe up to where the pants meet the shirt, like you specified) and see how you like it. It doesn't look like too much, and it's always better to cut off less and then cut more later if you want than to cut a lot in one go and regret it.

Good luck with your goal!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I'm curious to hear what you've decided to do? :)

Nightshade
July 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I'm curious to hear what you've decided to do? :)

I was wondering the same thing :)

thankyousir74
July 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing :)

Same here, I was lurking and was wondering what you decided to do :D

eresh
July 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM

My goal is ankle too and I didn't have a "biggish" trim untill I reached knee ;)
I did S&D a lot and baby the ends.
When I was insecure about my thin ends I did a microtrim.

So it depends, how do you feel about your hair when it's down and you walk on a crowded street or market.
Do you think "yay my hair is down *cheer*" or do you think "I hope people won't notice my thin ends"
I had the last.. that's when I knew when to microtrim.
Little difference, but psychologically improving ;)

LittleOrca
July 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I put my hair in a braid last night and looked at the ends at the tip of the braid. I saw that there were about 10 hairs that were an inch longer than the rest on their own. I thought about snipping these hairs off, then I decided to take my hair out of the braid first to see how they looked flowing after a braid with no other crud (styling stuff) in my hair. I think I have found one culprit that makes me ends horrible and I had to see my hair clean and free of anything to be sure (save for my cones.) With all the braid waves my hair looked shorter, of course, but I got a glimpse of my ends. Still a little puffed with the waves, but I didn't massacare them. I dusted the ends to get rid of some damage and even things up just a little bit.

Saturday I will be at the Oregon Country Fair and dressed up. I will have my fiance take a picture of my hair when the braid waves have relaxed a little and the natural ones take over again. From those pictures I will decide if I want to take more off or not, but for now I am just trying to not think about it. Thinking about ti drives me a little crazy and I feel both guilt for cutting the 1/4 inch and part of me thinks I should have done more. I have seen others here though that have gone scissor happy and cut off a lot and regret it and I'm trying to learn from that. :)

And wow, Redheaded Raven, 16 inches? *comfort!*

Here is my hair after the braid was taken out and the 1/4 in cut was made. Remember, it looks even shorter because of the braid waves and my shirt is longer in this picture I think. Sorry it's not a better picture (ends wise). Hopefully the Fair ones will be better.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long&#37;20Hair%20Gallery/BraidWaves.jpg

LittleOrca
July 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
My goal is ankle too and I didn't have a "biggish" trim untill I reached knee ;)
I did S&D a lot and baby the ends.
When I was insecure about my thin ends I did a microtrim.

So it depends, how do you feel about your hair when it's down and you walk on a crowded street or market.
Do you think "yay my hair is down *cheer*" or do you think "I hope people won't notice my thin ends"
I had the last.. that's when I knew when to microtrim.
Little difference, but psychologically improving ;)

I generally think "My hair is down, yay!" and there is a small part that thinks "Hmph, my hair is soooo awesome. Behold it's glory!" But... we all think that sometimes.... right? :o

The only time I have feared people noticing my ends is when I use a spray on them, be it conditioner or this new shiny stuff I bought to try. Speaking of, I'm going to write a little review on it. :)

JamieLeigh
July 10th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I think it's lovely!! :flower: I don't see anything wrong with your ends, but if you're unhappy with them, I'd also suggest micro-trims. I do about 1/4" a month, but my hair grows very quickly. Even if you only trim off a millimeter, your ends will feel different immediately. :) Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

ETA: I also would like to say that I really love the photo of your braid waves! :D

Amara
July 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I don't think you should cut. I think your hair is lovely and the ends are beautiful.

What do you mean with "S&Ding and not getting anywhere"? I think if you set aside your goal of - what, NO splits, ever, anywhere!? - then you'll be much happier. Hair splits. You can S&D and catch most of the big bad ones, and then relax and enjoy your hair. ;)

rchorr
July 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'm right there with you. My hair should really have an 8"-12" trim, but I just can't do it! When the humidity is high, it looks much better (it curls more;^) but when it's not, the last foot or so look SOOO pathetic! My longest hairs (all 10 of them) are a bit longer than tailbone length, but no matter how I trim, that last foot looks awful!

I've tried cutting it back, in the hopes that it will ALL grow together and get long. However, it doesn't work for me. It's like the same 10 hairs get long, and everything else just sits there.

To make matters worse, I seem to be at terminal. I keep hoping the rest of my hair will catch up, but it doesn't seem to be working that way.

So, my dilemma (and possibly yours) is will it be worth it to cut? Especially when it hasn't worked in the past.

For the moment, I keep it up most of the time (it's too darn hot to wear it down, anyway). BTW, I think your hair is lovely! :-) Your ends are not as bad as you think, but I DO know what it's like to think that way.

RCHORR'

hennaphile
July 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Either way, your hair is lovely. From what I see, if you wanted to trim, I wouldn't imagine you would need to take off more than 2-3 inches, but wait and see? In the mean time maybe you could coddle you ends :flower:

Ndnlady
July 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Your ends are great, just do a micro-trim. Your hair is beautiful!
I made the mistake of cutting off 3 inches of hair because I was being overly critical and not appreciating my hair as it was, I reealllly regret it now!

Nyghtingale
July 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Your hair is so silky looking. And gratz on the weight loss!

Quixii
July 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Okay, first thing I thought was: congrats on the weight loss! :cheese: That's always exciting.

Secondly, I don't think you need to cut. Honestly, I don't like fairytale ends, but I like yours. o,o Maybe we just can't see what you can, but.. who else is going to, either? I agree with just babying them, and re-evaluating at the end of the summer, or year, or whenever. Good luck! <3

alligatorbaby23
July 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I would vote for cutting. The ends appear dry to me. I went through 3 years of cutting damage since being here. Last May was my last big cut, about 5 inches. Now I have 100% healthy hair and plan to only trim once every few months about 1/8 inch/ micro trim.

Also I am suggesting that you should trim because I do recall you posting a few months ago about your hair thinning. In the photos I can see where there is thinness, and in trimming you would see an immediate noticeable difference in the thickness in the ends. (not that I find your hair thin, by any means).

I am just giving you suggestions from what I did and it worked out for me. Nightshade did a great job with her microtrims once a month, but I was more happy simply getting all that stuff off my head. For me, if I have damage in the length, its an ongoing situation. Damage begets damage for me. Now that the bad stuff is gone, my split ends have all but disappeared.

Anyways good luck with your decision, whatever you may choose.

Also I forgot to recommend where you trim at. I would say the 'waist' length (where you indicated in your photo) although like Glasseyes, I think that area is closer to 'hip.'

One other thing, Congrats on losing weight! A good trim may even make you feel better about your weight goals (or consider them in conjunction at the end of summer).

- Monica '

Cinnamon Hair
July 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
If you don't want to cut, then don't. If cutting would make you happier with your hair, then do it. My ends are an ongoing issue although they are much better than when I first joined. Here is my progress page. (http://beyondclassic.awardspace.us/longhairjourney.html)

Redheaded Raven
July 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM
And wow, Redheaded Raven, 16 inches? *comfort!*

Here is my hair after the braid was taken out and the 1/4 in cut was made. Remember, it looks even shorter because of the braid waves and my shirt is longer in this picture I think. Sorry it's not a better picture (ends wise). Hopefully the Fair ones will be better.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/BraidWaves.jpg
Well I think that your hair looks nice.
Sometimes just getting the very ends off helps ever so much.

I really think that I would not have cut back except that it had gotten so thin looking to me. I just felt overwhelmed, but thanks for the sympathy.

I want to see your pics from the fair so we are waiting :drama:

may1em
July 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Are the ends damaged in a way that makes them tangle? If the ends are threatening the healthy hair in any way, I say cut. Or you can microtrim and slowly let new hair grow in - you'll keep it at the same length.

Fairytale ends can be really pretty - so if you like the ends and/or they're not really damaged you might not really need to cut. They don't look bad to me - they're shiny and not dull like my ends get when they're dried out. That's a big plus.

Side note to say that as someone who admires blunt hemlines in addition to fairytales and maintains a blunt U-shape for herself, I don't appreciate people making disparaging remarks about long blunt hair. Both hemline options can be really nice-looking if they're healthy, and both can bring great joy to their wearer. No need to knock one choice over the other.

ETA: Oops - failure to read whole thread before blabbering. It looks nice with the 1/4 inch off.

Feye
July 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Side note to say that as someone who admires blunt hemlines in addition to fairytales and maintains a blunt U-shape for herself, I don't appreciate people making disparaging remarks about long blunt hair. Both hemline options can be really nice-looking if they're healthy, and both can bring great joy to their wearer. No need to knock one choice over the other.

I hope my post wasn't interpreted that way. I really like both styles, and I'm a regular trimmer myself. Right now I've got a blunt hemline by choice.

Fiferstone
July 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Hi Little Orca, I think your hair looks beautiful, definitely do what makes you happy, but I'm following nightshade's advice as well. Most of my length is pretty damaged from years of chemical dye, so I'm trying to baby my ends while cutting approx 1/2 of a month's worth of growth off at a time, to ultimately get rid of the chemical coloring damage.

Euphony
July 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I haven't read through the NINE pages :D I'm thinking by one of the above posts that you trimmed a tiny amount.

As for trimming a lot, that is totally up to you. You have expressed that it would upset you and stress you out beyond repair - then don't do it. There's all sorts of hair in the world and if you enjoy your hair as is, then don't cut it. If you think you'd prefer a fuller hemline over the length, then cut it. It's all totally up to you on what you'd like (I know, I'm of no help here). It just seems to pain you too much to think of cutting so much.

Try tiny trims monthly or bi-monthly - that'll help you maintain the length while thickening up the ends. Or wait until this time next year when you hopefully have 4 - 6" more length, then cut that growth off.

Whatever your choice, it's your hair and you have to be happy with it.

may1em
July 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I hope my post wasn't interpreted that way. I really like both styles, and I'm a regular trimmer myself. Right now I've got a blunt hemline by choice.

I don't remember exactly whose posts (there were more than one) it was (wasn't one of yours), but they were towards the beginning of the thread - I didn't read it all.

I know you're okay with trimming - it's your method a bunch of us use, isn't it? Thanks for that!(See my siggy)

LittleOrca
July 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I want to see your pics from the fair so we are waiting :drama:

Here is my hair from the fair. I got the idea for the shells from Nightshade with a starfish added in. I have pictures of the costumes at this thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29175).

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long&#37;20Hair%20Gallery/Updos%20--%20Half/IMG_2013.jpg

I think I am happier with my ends now. Thank you to everyone for the support and input. :grouphug:

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't cut them! Such pretty hairs.

Or you could do what I do, I'm also growing out 'bad' ends... I love fairytale ends though... I S&D with microtrims. I will periodically see a lot of splits in one area and just snip a few mm off the ends in that area.

Eventually it should catch up,I think.

Edit: I see you trimmed just a little? That's the best way to go :)

noelgirl
July 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I love your fair hair - it's such an ethereal look. Gorgeous!

Shermie Girl
July 11th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Your hair for the fair was so pretty. The arrangement of shells and a starfish is just magical. :D

Sometimes it is just too hard to cut off a lot of hair, even when we think that we "should". I am there, right now. I can't bring myself to bite the bullet and chop off three inches or so of ends that is sticky and gummy and should come off. :o

psvzum
July 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Giggled at "the cat pants" - I want some!!!

Go with what you feel is going to work. Maybe start by cutting where the shirt ends and the cat pants (grin) start? If you feel it isn't giving you the look you want, then consider trimming to the line in the photo?

Your hair is lovely : )

zen_oven
July 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm struggling with a similar issue right now--in my case I have layers that are so dramatically different that my bottom layer looks really thin. I want to trim, but I'm trying to hold out as long as I can so I don't have to set myself back too much (I just hit BSL with my bottom layer and would rather not cut back to my top layer which is at APL). Maybe you'd be more comfortable with microtrims every month or two until you are happier with your ends?

Feye
July 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM
The fair hair is beautiful! I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better about the ends now. :flower:

neon-dream
July 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I would honestly cut. It would really look fantastic if you cut off the damage, honestly. And it would feel fantastic.

I know it's hard losing length, but think of what you'll gain. And those damaged ends can't be fixed. They're just going to keep breaking, and breaking, and you won't see much change in the length and they'll get scragglier and possibly start to damage the hair that is in good shape.

I agree with Manderly. Your hair would be even more breathtaking with a cut :flowers:

Redheaded Raven
July 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Here is my hair from the fair. I got the idea for the shells from Nightshade with a starfish added in. I have pictures of the costumes at this thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29175).

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/IMG_2013.jpg

I think I am happier with my ends now. Thank you to everyone for the support and input. :grouphug:
squeals in delight, Your hair is absolutely gorgeous :cheese::cheese::cheese:
Thank you for posting :)

SimplyLonghair
July 12th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Little Orca I think that your hair is very lovely! I am dealing with hair issues like you are and I have just decided to baby it and let it grow. I think it has something to do with our whirly hair. It makes for perfect fairytale ends.

LisaJaney
July 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM
IF I were to choose where to cut, (saying that *I* think a cut isn't necessary, but I can't FEEL the ends and they may be driving you NUTS) I'd take the last pic (there are two nearly-identical pics where you're wearing jeans; I'd take the one on the right, the LAST pic) and cut between the pocket-top and the decorative-seam of the jeans. That means you're going to have barely enough hair to fill a thimble halfway. IF you don't like that, then try trimming to that seam. And IF that's not enough, go for the shirt-end/catpants line. That gives you three times to weigh what you think after a trim, rather than cutting clear back to waist. The waist-cut would give you automatic blunt-ends, but would make your updos harder (I believe). I have really REALLY tapering ends so I'm used to doing my updos and wrapping tapering-ends into the base of a bun. If I had blunt ends, it would be really awkward for me to try to get those ends anchored in there. You may not like that, when it happens all of a sudden like an "all the way to waist" trim would give you.

That's MY vote. Regardless, your hair is lovely.

adiapalic
July 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
One time, I had awful, brittle ends that kept tangling horribly. The ends were also pretty thin. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong with them. So I got a trim from my sister--she cut off way too much. About 5-6", and I was furious.

Anyway, I ended up appreciating it because I never would have done it myself. My hemline was tons thicker, and my hair just brushed out easier for me. (Later on, I found out it was all brittle because of proteins).

So, trimming a bunch worked for me once, but what you decide should be what you think is best for you/your hair. I think your hair looks great as it is. It just depends on what will satisfy you, and make you happy.

LadyLongLocks
July 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM
In response to your second photo:
Pretty hair, but if it were mine, I would trim it in a U shape as it is already in a U. I rather have health over length and I think it would look so much better. It would still be long.
IMO,I rather cause positive attention than negative...and thin ends bring down all the rest of the hair. I have the same issue with my own hair. Its a constant battle to keep the ends good. Trims are a must in my book. I think your hair would look awesome after a good trim.
Congrats on the weight loss :)

Nightshade
July 13th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Looks great! :flowers:

Jessie
July 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Your hair is beautiful! Please don't trim it! I often feel like trimming too, because I get horrible split ends as well. S & D missions seem futile, because there are twice as many the next day. But here's what I do: just ride it out, and you'll feel better in a week or two. Just keep babying your hair and keep it up to minimize damage as much as possible.

Something to make you feel better about yourself- do one thing a day to make yourself feel pretty or pampered. Wear a piece of jewelry, try out a new hairstyle, or paint your nails. Do something special for yourself. Since you feel badly about your hair right now, and your clothes aren't fitting right now, (because you're losing weight, woot!!) it's so important to remind yourself that you are special, and beautiful. :flowers:

pdy2kn6
November 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
hey, i thought i would reawaken this thread just by asking if you ended up trimming or not? I was just watching your youtube clips and it definately deterred me away from trimming my own :):)

pepperminttea
November 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
If it were mine, I'd cut it. But I'm going for blunt ends on my own hair (eventually), so I'm terribly biased. Bottom line though: If you want to cut it, cut it. If you don't, don't. They'll grow out eventually with small trims and/or S&D, either way. :)

melikai
November 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Edited out post: Topic was out of date and thus my response was irrelevant!

JamieLeigh
November 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
She did trim a bit, but I think it's back to where it was in the original posted pic....just thicker at the end. It looks really nice. :)

emi77
November 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I just wanted to say I love love love your colour hair! Beautiful!

spidermom
November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry; I can't give you what you want here. I think you should cut it. I think it will be much more beautiful if you do, and you are likely to experience a phenomenal growth spurt because your ends won't be breaking off. What they say is true - damage does travel upward and it does spread. Little splits become big splits, and they tangle with healthy hair.

spidermom
November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Oops - just saw that this is old. Way to be observant, Spidey!