PDA

View Full Version : "The bun that stays"

Norai
July 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I've been trying to figure out Spidermom's "The bun that stays" - but I am seriously picture challenged. I read the article and got lost where we start doing loops and can't figure out what the heck is going on. :o Also not sure if my hair is long enough, at just shy of waist?

If anyone knows of a video for it, or if one of you ladies who does videos makes one, I'd like to see it!

Rivanariko
July 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I don't know about finding a video of it, but it worked great in my hair, which is almost waist, but probably shorter than yours because I'm pretty short. It took me a few tries to figure out what was going on, but once I had it it's really simple, and I've never been very good at styling my own hair.

hellkitty
July 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
No help with video but...

It's super easy once you get the hang of it. Perhaps another hair-klutz's description may help things click?

You make a pony. I give it a twist or two to sort of 'lock it down' to the scalp. Then you wrap it twice around the first two fingers of your left hand. You want the loops side by side--the first one down by your hand, and the second by the ends of the fingers.

Then you just wrap your tail around the base of the pony, until it's all used up.

Now you want to separate those two loops you made over those fingers. Pull the second one to the right, the first one to the left. (In other words, the one that was on the left side, pull *more* left, the one by the tips of your left hand fingers pull *more* right.) Unless I'm doing it totally wrong, what this does is create that sort of 'hairslide with your own hair' type of bun (like a Gibraltar bun). Pulling these loops to the sides creates a tighter hair slide.

A fork works best in this style, at least for me. Put the fork in on the right side, straight in to the scalp, go through the pony, and make sure you catch some of that second loop as you come out with the teeth of your fork.

Again, I hope that maybe my description helps it click for you. It's one of my new go-to buns when *nothing* else is working. It's well worth some practice!

HK

Norai
July 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Wow thanks! That description helped a lot. I just wasn't sure where the loops were going and figured they couldn't possibly be going right next to each other... but they are :)

Norai
July 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah I definitely feel silly now, it's much easier than I thought. :p

SimplyViki
July 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Not sure if it's any help, but ...
I can do that bun, but I tend to pull it way too tight, I'm thinking my hair isn't quite long enough to do it with ease. So I find that the Lazy Wrap Bun is similar in concept, but doesn't require as much of my length.

Norai
July 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I only get 1-2 wrap arounds, seems like I have to pull it as tight as I can get it or it flops out (my ends are very tapered in the last 8 inches), but it holds very well! I think it's one of my new favorites, works really well with a ficcare and doesn't pull at all.

enfys
July 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Ok I'm too thick to do it.

I mean hair thickness!