PDA

View Full Version : Rope braid problem

birthmarkie
July 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM
When I try to twist my hair in the back, I can't because my hands won't reach the end of my hair. How do you rope braid your own hair? I'd like to make a rose bun so I need to start the braid at about ear level. I'd really appreciate any help you can give!

melrose1985
July 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
My hair isnt long enough yet to do these things.

But have you checked out youtube? they have some fun videos to watch how to do some buns and braids.

melrose1985
July 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw

this is a good one!

ChatoyantLocks
July 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I usually twist it a bit at a time on each of the two strands keeping my hands near the section of hair I am working on, cross over the two strands in the opposite direction, and then slide my hands out a bit to the next section and work on it.

AnneAdeline
July 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
After a little while, I bring the braid over my shoulder and continue. You just have to make sure to continue twisting in the correct direction.
Some people also pull it over the top of their head.

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I bring whatever braid over my head and flip my hands to compensate. I find that when I pull it over my shoulder to finish that my braid will often lean in that direction.

Nyghtingale
July 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I pull mine over one shoulder too. Still have trouble with it.

lyria
July 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I think the article on the rope braid bun was really helpful to me. I also start the braid with only some of my hair twisted and as I braid it I twist it more and bring it over my shoulder. You just have to make sure the braid starts out in the center where you want it and make the beginning tight before you bring it around. Good Luck!

florenonite
July 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I twist a bit, cross it over, twist a bit more, etc. When it gets too far down my back I hold both ends in one hand and bring it over my shoulder. If you're only wanting to start it from the ear, you might have luck turning your head as far as it will go and just doing the whole braid in front of your body.

freznow
July 8th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I take one strand, twist it (starting at the top, a little at a time) until it's long enough that I can hold it in my mouth. I twist the other one about the same length, and then twist those two strands for that length together. I twist each strand a little bit at a time as I twist them together for the rest of the length, braiding it over the shoulder so I can reach better.

eternallyverdan
July 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Ditto on what everyone else says, but I find that when I'm bringing it over my shoulder it's best to twist a few inches and hold onto them as I'm bringing it around so that I don't lose track of which way I'm twisting. It mostly just takes practice to keep track of the twisting.

plainjanegirl
July 8th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I find torrinpaiige's youtube video the best. It is what helped me learn how finally.

Kiraela
July 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I do english and rope braids the same way for this - go as many twists as you can down the length before your arms don't reach, then pull it over your shoulder and continue/finish. I've found that the more bumps/twists/length you can put in the braid before bringing it over, the less likely it is to pull slightly sideways.

Rentlle
July 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
bring the braid over the shoulder ;)