PDA

View Full Version : hair in the drain(yuk)

littlemiss
July 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
weeks ago a strange smell:poot: was coming from my drain!! it got me thinking maybe its my hair blocking it up so draino fixed the problem!! hooray then i got myself a drain strainer and OMG I can not believe the amount of hair stuck in this thing on a daily basics! Does it happen to everyone else or are you unaware as I was until now??

BlndeInDisguise
July 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Our drain sort has a built in strainer, though I'm sure it doesn't catch everything. With both my sister and I having knee length hair, you wouldn't believe how fast the drain gets clogged.

Someone on here (JoJo, I think?) used some hair removal stuff (can't remember what it's called :o) instead of Draino, since apparently when Draino comes into contact with soap residue, it somehow builds up. I think that's the way it is, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will explain better!

Gypsy
July 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I think it's fairly common. Hair has to go someone where when we wash it and even the very lucky who barely lose any hair still lose some hair and down the drain it goes.
Our drains have to be cleaned at least every month or they will back up. No funky smell, though but I doubt you will have that issue now that you know to clean the drain every now and then.

sweet*things
July 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Drano can be hard on your pipes. You might want to invest in a pipe snake to manually remove the hair. We wind up snaking our drains at least once a year and you wouldn't believe the wads of hair that get pulled out of there.

On second thought, you guys probably would.:D

embee
July 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have a small strainer that fits over the drain on hair wash days. I'm very careful about thorough brushing and combing *before* I get in the shower and I now lose only a few hairs. The very idea of clogging the drain with yard long hair just freaks me out!

Flotsum
July 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
We have something we put over the drain to prevent it from clogging. I just collect it off the drain with a paper towel and in the trash it goes.

Debra83
July 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I just cleaned my built in drain strainer yesterday. yech. I hate that job. But it wasn't too much thankfully.

may1em
July 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I brush before I get in the shower, and if any falls out during the washing and conditioning process, I plaster it on the side of the shower to throw out later.

It's my housemate's hair that always clogs the drain - she leaves it. And her hair is only about halfway between shoulder and APL.

ChatoyantLocks
July 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I don't seem to have too much trouble with this. I carefully comb my hair to get out as many of the loose hairs as possible beforehand, and the drain has a little strainer over it that catches what I miss.

Nyghtingale
July 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I need to get a strainer for my tub, it gets clogged all the time.

HisForever
July 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
that strainer sounds like a good idea Im going to have to go looking for one of those :)

manderly
July 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I have a strainer which I have to clean multiple times during my shower to keep the tub from filling up. There's A LOT of hair that settles there. I couldn't go 1 wash without the strainer and not clog up my shower :)

littlemiss
July 8th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I have a strainer which I have to clean multiple times during my shower to keep the tub from filling up. There's A LOT of hair that settles there. I couldn't go 1 wash without the strainer and not clog up my shower :)
Yes I have this exact same problem there must be a better way :shrug::confused:

aksown
July 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Yes, happens all the time. My dad cleans the shower drain and leaves the nasty wads of hair on the shower floor though. That's really yuk!

Natalia
July 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Someone on here (JoJo, I think?) used some hair removal stuff (can't remember what it's called :o) instead of Draino, since apparently when Draino comes into contact with soap residue, it somehow builds up. I think that's the way it is, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will explain better!

Oh good thought! My mom bought me some of thats stufff ages ago that wont touch (im a natural girl :p) now i finally have a use for all of it!

Magicknthenight
July 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I have one of those strainers i clean after every shower. Still we live on the bottom apartment and the guy that came to unclog it last time basically said that everything that goes down peoples pipes here eventually will go through ours. So even though we always use the strainers and clean them every time...we've had to have him come out. Their just the simple kind that sit on top of the drain that are pushed up.
I was actually just flipping through the channels and saw this

http://turbosnake.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Its called the turbo snake. I'm not sure how well it works and it WAS on an infomercial...so..i dunno but perhaps some people have had success with them. Can probably find them in stores.

manderly
July 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I have one of those strainers i clean after every shower. Still we live on the bottom apartment and the guy that came to unclog it last time basically said that everything that goes down peoples pipes here eventually will go through ours. So even though we always use the strainers and clean them every time...we've had to have him come out. Their just the simple kind that sit on top of the drain that are pushed up.
I was actually just flipping through the channels and saw this

http://turbosnake.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Its called the turbo snake. I'm not sure how well it works and it WAS on an infomercial...so..i dunno but perhaps some people have had success with them. Can probably find them in stores.

I have one of these: http://www.zipitclean.com/

It was just a few bucks at Home Depot and it works great. I have a little silver strainer that snaps into my drain, but every so often I pull it off and cram my zip-it into the drain. It pulls up all sorts of goodies :rolleyes:

Charlotte
July 9th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I had a period of terrible shed a while back (about 18 months ago), that lasted for a period of about 8 months during which time I think I lost approximately 1/3 to 1/2 my overall thickness. :( During that time, I had a completely blocked shower drain three times and what was removed was absolutely frightening. The huge clumps of hair that was extricated each time (larger than the size of an adult pet rat) was revolting. I now have a very long wire (old coat hanger) in case I need to clear the drain again. Fingers crossed, the shedding seems to have slowed down. :pray:

Tapioca
July 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I've noticed that since doing ACV rinses on my hair, my drain is much happier. All the vinegar must be clearing something out.

naomimcc
July 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I brush before I get in the shower, and if any falls out during the washing and conditioning process, I plaster it on the side of the shower to throw out later.

I do this. And since the hubby showers after me...I used my hair to spell things for him LOL. Or make hearts with it :cheese: