PDA

View Full Version : Misperception of length

Periwinkle
July 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Many of us here have a story of people drastically under-/over-estimating the length of our hair...well, here's a recent one of mine.

I'm a secondary school student, and we were doing a science lesson on parts of the brain. The exercise was to make a hat for someone (basically just a looped strip of paper with a sheet stuck to it) and to label different parts of the brain in the appropriate places.

There were 3 of us working together. I had the smallest head, but I didn't want to take my hair down, so we made the hat for someone else (in fact, the girl with the very-above-average-sized head). The teacher came over to talk and made a joke about how we should have gone for me instead, and I said that I didn't want to take my hair down, upon which my friend said, 'Her hair is amazing! It's like, long enough for her to sit on!'.

Now, I know I don't wear my hair down, but this particular friend knows exactly how long my hair is as she has seen me with it down and has even done it herself quite a lot (the last time being maybe a month and a bit ago), and I find it quite funny that she managed to exaggerate almost WL to TB+. What's more, when I mentioned it, she said 'But it's almost that long!'. :eyebrows:

Anyone else got a misperception story to share?

eternallyverdan
July 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Well, your hair is so thick that maybe people mistake volume for length. It's absolutely gorgeous!

The misconception thing happens to me all the time. People see my hair and they say, "Wow! It's almost at your knees!" and I just sigh, because I have at least another year or two of growing to do, assuming I don't get to terminal before then.

GlassEyes
July 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Every time someone refers to my hair as long. XD; Ugh.

enfys
July 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I always think out of anothe two of my colleagues I have the shortest hair. One has hair a little shorted but so straight and thin it looks longer, another has hair so thick it looks like it will eat the world and is longer than it is. In reality we are all within an inch either side of elbow length.

Ryanne
July 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
One girl in my class was talking about my hair and the curls, on one of those rare occasians it was down to rebun it, and told me; 'If you straighten it, you can totally sit on it'.
I uncomfortably told and showed her it was a little past waist when pulled straight, but she remained a bit skeptical.

BlndeInDisguise
July 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Well, I don't really have a "story", but I know most people have no idea how long my hair is, since my tight bun makes it look like it would be way shorter.

Fractalsofhair
July 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'm always amused when people say my hair is super healthy... With 75-90% of it broken off... It looks healthy, compared to some girls, but if you're feeling my hair and seeing it up close, and seeing how the breakage falls, it's not super healthy. And these are friends that know a bit about hair care, not ones that think it's safe to flat iron several times daily!

shadowclaw
July 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Thus far, no one's really had any misconceptions about my hair. However, I used to have a coworker with waist-length hair that she always kept in a bun while working. It is the tiniest little bun you've ever seen on a long hair! Anyway, one day she came in when she wasn't working and had it down. I was shocked! I thought her hair was maybe a little past her shoulders. She has curly hair, so I thought it was also thick, which led me to believe her hair was so short. However, her hair is quite thin. I realize that there are lots of people with thin, curly hair, but in my mind at that point, everyone with curly hair also had thick, coarse hair.

Moonstruck
July 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
People always mistook my hair for some crazy length. When it was waist, people asked me if I ever sat on it or if it fell in the toilet ::snickers::, when it was TB, people were convinced it went down to my knees.
When I put it up for work, it'd always start falling out of its bun in crazy patterns, which made people think I had really thick hair that went down to who knows where. I got called the Asian Rapunzel a lot. =P

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I was at church and a lady was marveling at a bun I had in, I think it was an orchid bun. Any way she gushed about beautiful it was and guessed that I was almost to my waist now! lol. I smiled and thanked her knowing that my hair is not only past my waist, but nearly an inch away from my tailbone.

thankyousir74
July 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Never really had a misperception yet, hopefully when it's longer though, as of right now, my hair is nowhere near an attention magnet.

ScrimHazard
July 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Some of my family members have not seen me in three years so they all keep mentioning that "Caroline couldn't use that (hair product)." Ha...I'm almost to BSL...FINALLY! I can't wait to show it off when next I see them.

ladylibra
July 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Well, with my shrinkage I always get perceived as having shorter hair. Thankfully I've grown out most of my layers and they are all longer and blend better... this time last year, when I straightened my hair, everyone assumed the barely shoulder-length layer was "my" hair, and the rest were weave tracks. :rolleyes:

It's fun being under-perceived though. Nothing like stretching a coil from your chin to your armpit and watching people's faces go :eek:!

batteredcakes
July 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I always get it when I put my hair in a ponytail or bun because of my bangs/fringes. The bangs are left down and so that's all you see until I turn my head, then there's a surprise lol I always get "Did you cut your hair?! Why?!" *turns head* "Oh hehe"

dragonfrog
July 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I was at church and a lady was marveling at a bun I had in, I think it was an orchid bun. Any way she gushed about beautiful it was and guessed that I was almost to my waist now! lol. I smiled and thanked her knowing that my hair is not only past my waist, but nearly an inch away from my tailbone.

I think my hair is about the same length as yours (1-2 inches from TB) and I was wearing it down to dry when my mom came over a couple weeks ago. She said, "Wow, your hair is getting really long! It's down to your waist now." My hair, of course, goes past my waist (mine is fairly short and I've been past it for a couple years), past the top of my jeans, and past the hem of my hip-length shirt. The funny part is, my mom has always had long hair, between her armpits and tailbone for most of my life. And I know she knows where her natural waist is :confused:

ericthegreat
July 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I've actually underestimated just how long my hair is at least according to LHC's measuring standards. In my stats, I've listed my current length as 31 inches. However, the thing is I am only measuring by the longest strands that are on my head, not the actual full length between my front hairline and my ends. I essentially have very long layers, my bangs in front and my top crown section do not reach down to the length at the nape of my neck. However, I have actually now measured from my hairline to my ends, and that measurement is 39 inches.

Rentlle
July 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM
lol :D
see how fast your hair can grow ;) :lol:
No-on underestimates my hair so far.
My best friend knows exactly how long my hair is and she's like: " yes, 3years and it will be taillebone!!!!"
XD

embee
July 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Yes, my hair is very thin and makes only a tiny little bun. A lady I used to work with has thick waving hair a bit below BSL and always wore a low ponytail. (So pretty, going grey, thick waves... oh my) One day I came in on my day off and she saw my hair down in a braid - boy was she surprised... "Oh, look how long your hair is!!!" She had no clue because our hair types were so different.

Kinda fun, but I sure would enjoy thicker hair for a change. At least for a while, to find out what it's like! ;)

Anlbe
July 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
People overestimate both the length of my hair and my height. My hair's barely BSL at the moment and I'm 5'11 but people tend to think my hair's close to waist :shrug:

enfys
July 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Kinda fun, but I sure would enjoy thicker hair for a change. At least for a while, to find out what it's like! ;)

Warm! And too short to do buns no matter how long it is.

Angela_Rose
July 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Mine is usually up, so that throws people off. Also, I posted once on the longhair Live Journal that my hair goal is 60", or my knees.
Most of the following comments were from people who were really surprised that 60" is at my knees. Well, I'm 5'9" and alllllll leg, so that makes a big difference.

Elphie
July 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I had a coworker comment today that she thought my hair was longer. She wanted to know if I had gotten it cut....(bite her tongue!) :(

In her defense, she hasn't seen it down all month so she probably doesn't pay that close attention to it either.

SpinDance
July 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
My experience has been that once my hair is past BSL very few really pay any attention to the actual length. "Long" is long, and the distinctions become very blurry for most people.

JamieLeigh
July 10th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Before mine was actually long enough to sit on, I heard "I bet you accidentally sit on it all the time" from a couple of people. And, like eternallyverdan, I used to get "It's all the way to your knees" when it was still a few inches short of that. :p

swanns
July 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Last summer I had a friend say something along the lines "When your hair reaches your waist you can do this and that", when it had just reached waist. I was a bit outraged :D