PDA

View Full Version : A terrible haircut saved my hair

SharkDisco
July 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I've always had shaggy, bra strap length hair. Although people have been telling me all my life I should wear it shorter, the few times I've tried wearing it around armpit length I just haven't felt or looked like myself. I'm a long-haired person, and that's all there is to it.

A few months back, I took my hair in for a small trim, and asked the girl to neaten up my long layers while she was at it. I have very thin (although quite coarse) hair, and my long layers were doing a great job of giving the impression of thickness. Well, the hairdresser took these instructions as permission to give me the hair she thought I ought to have. I walked out of the salon with hair that was two inches shorter overall, but with a multitude of layers that were shorter than shoulder length. The end result? I looked like I'd been growing out a mullet since late 2007. My mother's comment, when she saw it, was that it looked like rats had attacked the back of my head and chewed off half my hair.

I was devastated! Fortunately, the silver lining was that while Googling for information about speeding up hair growth (I was feeling desperate!), I came across this website. Since I started lurking, I've completely changed my hair care routine. I've always used a lot of heat and styling products to give my hair body and to tame frizziness, and washed it daily to combat excessive greasiness. All these things had made my hair look and feel like steel wool. Now, I oil the length of my hair with coconut oil before bed, wash the oil out in the morning with conditioner, shampoo my scalp very lightly with a shampoo bar, squeeze the water out when I'm done, and air dry without brushing with a little Alba leave-in conditioner on the ends. I don't get greasy in the evening any more, and sometimes I can even stretch it to an extra day between washes.

My hair has never been softer or less frizzy! Nor has it ever had so much body and bounce. And it gets better every day! So now instead of fretting about how bad my haircut is, or how long it will take for those stupid little layers to grow out, I can't stop myself from petting my newly soft, awesome hair. And I'm excited about how great it will look when it's mostly all one length again.

Thanks, Long Hair Community = )

goodenough
July 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
That's so nice. Sometimes it takes a "tragedy" to move us forward:)

FallenAngel
July 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Thumbs up! We can hold hands on our LHC jouney, I've always thought I had terrible hair before, but I'm starting to like mine after 6 months here. Imagine what 6 years will do! :D

lora410
July 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
It is wonderful isn't it? Before I found LHC I always thought that getting soft hair was a myth in commercials,and then I also stopped the heat styling to death. I am glad you found this place and good luck on your growing adventure.

Coriander
July 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
That was some story :)

I'm glad you found us! Welcome! :)

Moonstruck
July 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Wow! That's really quite the turnaround there. =) Welcome to LHC - I'm glad you found us.

feralnature
July 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
SharkDisco, welcome to the forum. I think there are many here, including myself, who have found LHC after a hair tragedy or bad haircut. So glad you made your way here and so glad you are already seeing the benefits of all the wonderful advice here. :)

Fractalsofhair
July 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Congrats! I found this site after my hair started breaking off, and that's sorta like a hair cut! XD Welcome here!

Nightshade
July 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Welcome to LHC! I'm glad you found your way here :)

Rentlle
July 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Love the story here, maybe that's a bit sadistic? i hope not.. (blush)
welcome at LHC!

lyria
July 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Great story, I hope you grow here happily!