PDA

View Full Version : The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40

maryalana
October 2nd, 2015, 08:30 AM
I'm a little unhappy with my CO washing routine right now and was wondering if you could help me figure out where I went wrong. I've been CO washing almost daily for about six months now using either Tressemme Naturals or Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner (diluted 50/50 with water). I CWC once week with Pantene cause I can't seem to ditch the cones completely. It's been working really well up until now. Suddenly I feel like a grease-ball. My scalp and my lengths feel oily and clumpy even though I haven't made any changes to my routine. I know I need to ditch the daily washing, especially with winter coming, but I feel like I can't while my hair feels this ick. My hair isn't quite long enough for updos so my hair is always on display. Any ideas what could be causing this?

dreamingstar
October 4th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I've always had problems with Pantene and Tresseme: in fact what you're describing is one of the reasons why I ditched them entirely. They build up and then you can't seem to get clean. If you need cones, try water soluble cones so they don't build up. I think amodimethicone is one, but I'm not certain.

Bossa Nova
October 5th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I've tried so many things for my hair in the past couple of years, but all it's done is make my hair dry, frizzy and dull. Or oily, sticky and dirty feeling. ACV, baking soda, catnip, oil after oil and then another kind of oil, water only, shampoo only, egg yolks and on and on. I've probably left out a lot of things I can't remember right now. The reason for trying all these things was of course part of being more natural and nature friendly. But my hair's suffered for it. So for a couple of weeks I've been trying CO and so far I'm surprisingly pleased. It's probably too early to tell but my hair feels better, i e is more moisturized, less tangle-prone, easier to comb/pull my fingers through and I don't have to wash more often than before.

I use Urtekram (Danish brand) Aloe Vera conditioner (undiluted on the length but very diluted on scalp), sometimes adding essential oils. Henna glossing is something I'd really like to try as well but for now just CO.

I like Urtekram because it's eco friendly- I couldn't do CO any other way. I tried CO with similar products (some other Urtekram conditioners as well) a couple of years ago but it didn't work at all. My hair just became greasy. I'm sensitive to heavy perfumes but the Aloe Vera conditioner has a very light smell that disappears after you use it. This is also good because heavily scented shampoos/conditioners make my scalp smell after just a few days

Someone posted a picture in this thread, I think it was Gru, where you could tell the difference CO had made to her hair (besides the awsome curls) by a visible line between hair that had been CO:d from "virgin" and the part of the hair that hadn't. Very inspirational.

My hair will never be sleekness incarnated and it will always belong in the hair gone rouge thread : P but I'm tired of fighting it, not wanting to wear it down anymore, spending so much effort and thought on it but still not getting even half decent results. A lot of the stuff I mentioned trying usually worked really well once but failed on continued attempts (catnip anyone?).

Here's hoping CO will continue to work for my hair : )

LaraAntipova
October 24th, 2015, 03:35 AM
I recently started CO washing and hair responds better each time I do it, is much less fluffy and I find it gives off the conditioner scent much stronger than it did before. Has anyone experienced this? I'm washing it out completely but maybe the scent bonds better to hair without shampooing first. Whatever the reason I love it and have been experimenting with conditioners with my favourite scents.
Any recommendations?

And Bossa Nova I really like your attitude. Life is too short not to wear your hair down. My hair will always be in the gone rouge group too, but here's to hoping CO will make it just a little less wild... :)

Arciela
November 1st, 2015, 10:22 PM
Yes, no problem.

I actually dilute about 30% conditioner / 70% water for every wash (I don't actually measure - I just squirt a big blob of conditioner into an 8-ounce color applicator bottle and fill the rest of the way with water, leaving room to shake it up).

If I've been particularly heavy-handed with the oil, I may do the "lather, rinse, repeat" method with diluted conditioner, just to make sure I got it all out. But I've never had conditioner not remove oil, and many people report that it does a better job than shampoo.

This works for me so well! Thank you sooo much for sharing this! I've tried cowashing for years and it never worked, but with this method it is working flawlessly :) My hair finally feels clean with cowash..0 build up and no grease! I have yet to see a major difference in my hair yet though...going to stick with it and hopefully my hair condition will improve :flower:

AsjaSweden
November 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM
Hello! New to the site but not to CO, can I join you? The greasy buildup could be due to proteine in the conditioner. It builds up over time and ends up in greasy, fat and heavy hair. The solution is to cleanse the hait with schampoo for immediate result or with a proteinefree conditioner, but with the conditioner it may take several washes to get all the buildup out. This is my experience and I hope it will be helpful :)

RSunny
November 3rd, 2015, 10:43 AM
I have been CO for about a week. Using Shea Moisture and Mop Top conditioners. I use a water filter on my shower. I didn't find anything wrong with my previous routine (sulfate free shampoo 2x per week with silicone conditioner); my hair looked nice, bouncy, soft, and shiny. But I wanted to try and be more moisturizing to my hair as it grows longer - so CO. I have to say that it's been a difficult transition and I"m not sure if I like it. My hair feels like there is a layer on top of it, it seems to be snagging more than with the cone conditioner, its not as soft and bouncy as it used to be, and it is not shiny anymore (see pic comparison below). My curls aren't curling as normal.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19650&d=1446572211

Please help! I want to like this method, but may resort to shampoo again if this is what my hair will look like.

GRU
November 4th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Are you diluting your conditioner and getting it to "foam up" as you work it through your hair?

I would do a shampoo wash to remove whatever buildup you have, then try again with a different conditioner.

Problems like this are due to the product, not the technique. Many people have to try several different conditioners until they find the one that works for them.

AsjaSweden
November 8th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I've read about people who have had issues wiht conditioners containing polyquarternum 47 (my spelling might be wrong), has anyone of you heard about that, and if so, what are those issues?

katiekittycat
December 1st, 2015, 03:42 PM
I've always had problems with Pantene and Tresseme: in fact what you're describing is one of the reasons why I ditched them entirely. They build up and then you can't seem to get clean. If you need cones, try water soluble cones so they don't build up. I think amodimethicone is one, but I'm not certain.

I found a link to the forum on NaturallyCurly.com which says that amodimethicone is water soluble when combined with trideceth-12 and cetrimonium chloride! :) (I'm really excited about this because the cleansing conditioner I use has amodimethicone and I was thinking about getting rid of silicones and I was bummed because I love the CO I use... it's safe!)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/73010-amodimethicone-becomes-water-soluble-when-accompanied-these-ingredients.html

Circe Invidiosa
December 14th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I have a question about cowashing with a natural conditioner. I apologise if this has been asked before, but I honestly didn't read through all 901 pages;)

I would like to give Co'ing a try, but I am currently using a natural CO (in combination with a shampoo) from Green People (SLS, cone, sulphate, perfume, etc. free). Would this be sufficiently cleansing if used as a co-wash? (It's also quite pricey and as cowashing requires large amounts of CO...)
I feel reluctant to go back to "commercial" CO's, even the SLS/cone-free ones, as I was very glad to cut those type of products out of my beauty regime (i.e. low/no poo).
Does anyone have any experience co'ing with natural CO's? I would appreciate any feedback or opinions!

jeanniet
December 15th, 2015, 02:25 AM
i
I have a question about cowashing with a natural conditioner. I apologise if this has been asked before, but I honestly didn't read through all 901 pages;)

I would like to give Co'ing a try, but I am currently using a natural CO (in combination with a shampoo) from Green People (SLS, cone, sulphate, perfume, etc. free). Would this be sufficiently cleansing if used as a co-wash? (It's also quite pricey and as cowashing requires large amounts of CO...)
I feel reluctant to go back to "commercial" CO's, even the SLS/cone-free ones, as I was very glad to cut those type of products out of my beauty regime (i.e. low/no poo).
Does anyone have any experience co'ing with natural CO's? I would appreciate any feedback or opinions!

It's really a YMMV thing, so I'd say try it and see. The only problem is that you wouldn't have anything to compare it to if you haven't done CO before, so if you had an issue it would be hard to say if it was the conditioner or CO itself. You might want to see what alternatives are available within your requirements, if this doesn't seem to work for you.

Sascha888
December 16th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I'm a little unhappy with my CO washing routine right now and was wondering if you could help me figure out where I went wrong. I've been CO washing almost daily for about six months now using either Tressemme Naturals or Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner (diluted 50/50 with water). I CWC once week with Pantene cause I can't seem to ditch the cones completely. It's been working really well up until now. Suddenly I feel like a grease-ball. My scalp and my lengths feel oily and clumpy even though I haven't made any changes to my routine. I know I need to ditch the daily washing, especially with winter coming, but I feel like I can't while my hair feels this ick. My hair isn't quite long enough for updos so my hair is always on display. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Both of those conditioners I think have cones in them. I know the Herbal Essence does, though I'm not sure about the other one as I have never tried it. Pantene is the worst thing you can use on your hair. If I were you, I'd get a clarifying shampoo one that actually says clarifying on it and use that shampoo and conditioner, so it strips everything from it and start all over and get a conditioner without cones. Suave that has all the different fruity smells is cone free and so is VO5. Those are naturally more runny so you can just slop it in your hair and distribute it around and then stick your head under the shower for like 2 seconds for it to lather it up a little and it will distribute even more. I know the coney conditioners are a little thicker and heavy and won't distribute through your hair easily and they will weigh your hair down over time which is probably what yours is doing. I would suggest the above and get a couple cone free conditioners to get you started and start from there. It might take you about 2 weeks for you to get used to it. And I would also suggest maybe washing it every other day with the conditioner. I use the VO5 and I wash about every 2-3 days and shampoo once a week with sulfate free shampoo, and I will clarify about once every other month just to keep on top of it all. I've been co-washing for about 3 years now. Hope this helps some...

Circe Invidiosa
December 18th, 2015, 08:46 AM
i

It's really a YMMV thing, so I'd say try it and see. The only problem is that you wouldn't have anything to compare it to if you haven't done CO before, so if you had an issue it would be hard to say if it was the conditioner or CO itself. You might want to see what alternatives are available within your requirements, if this doesn't seem to work for you.

Thank you for your response Jeanniet.
That was my dilemma as well, that's why I was hoping if someone else has any experience with co washing with natural conditioner.
I am a bit scared to just try it, as my hair is quite reactive (it took me almost half a year to detox my hair from normal shampoos to no/low poos).

arelrios
December 22nd, 2015, 04:20 PM
I kinda stopped CO ... I do so in between shampoos and it's working good... At the moment I am using trader joe's brand (shampoo and conditioner)... so far so good... hair is even wavier than before with this combination and my scalp is not as itchy and flaky as before

vpatt
January 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I had only tried this one time last summer and thought it left my hair kind of icky.....a bit oily and lifeless. I tried it today with a different conditioner and like it a lot more even tho it has a little bit of an oily look, but not bad. I used Trader Joe's Spa Nourish. My goal is too wash once a week instead of twice. Should I just suck it up and go a week or slowly adjust? I also wonder how often I should use shampoo to keep from getting scalp build up? I have tried to read the thread, but wow that's a lot of reading. ;)

Well, I just googled and it seems some people say to clarify once a week if you co wash. If I do that then it wouldn't be that different than me using shampoo twice a week. Do you think once a month is enough?

Update: now that my hair is completely dry it is more oily looking than I thought, but I am going to keep trying it and see if it adjusts and helps me stretch washes. It feels clean and conditioner definitely encouraged more waves.

vpatt
January 12th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Ok I found a short thread that basically says everyone is different.....so what I got is if your scalp or hair seem to be coated to clarify. Right now I won't be using anything on my hair except the conditioner. And occasional shampoo. So I guess I will just have to see how it goes. I do like that EcoStyle gel that Lapushka told me about so that could be used occasionally.

samanthaa
January 12th, 2016, 12:47 PM
I have begun my co-wash journey! The last time I used shampoo was Thursday scalp-only, prior to a henna application on my roots. What I found funny was that when I ran on a treadmill Sunday morning--I usually run outside and was not expecting to sweat so much!--I actually had orange henna streaks on the bottom of my shirt from where I kept wiping my forehead. That was after water- or co-washing Friday and Saturday, and running/sweating both of those days! Never has henna continuing to "bleed" for me for so long. I usually only notice it when I sweat until the next wash.

I don't think I can make any judgements yet, only a week into it, but I'm excited to see how my hair adapts to this new routine. I've been water-only washing about 5x a week for a while now, so that might help the transition?

jeanniet
January 12th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I had only tried this one time last summer and thought it left my hair kind of icky.....a bit oily and lifeless. I tried it today with a different conditioner and like it a lot more even tho it has a little bit of an oily look, but not bad. I used Trader Joe's Spa Nourish. My goal is too wash once a week instead of twice. Should I just suck it up and go a week or slowly adjust? I also wonder how often I should use shampoo to keep from getting scalp build up? I have tried to read the thread, but wow that's a lot of reading. ;)

Well, I just googled and it seems some people say to clarify once a week if you co wash. If I do that then it wouldn't be that different than me using shampoo twice a week. Do you think once a month is enough?

Update: now that my hair is completely dry it is more oily looking than I thought, but I am going to keep trying it and see if it adjusts and helps me stretch washes. It feels clean and conditioner definitely encouraged more waves.

A lot of people seem to feel you should clarify on a regular schedule, but really it's up to you. I only shampoo (sulfate-free) every few months and actually clarify maybe a couple of times a year. GRU clarifies once a year. You might want to CO at least twice a week at first, though. There is an adjustment period, and you might feel better if you don't stretch it out too much.

Pajamas
January 12th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I've been cowashing with a cleansing conditioner for two weeks and I can tell you when they saw scrub your scalp for several minutes with the conditioner, they mean it scrub your scalp. As in, lift up your hair and apply to the scalp first. It's been harder for me since my Hair One is thick and gritty, but I'm about to go curly girl and get a thinner cone-free cowash.

Beborani
January 12th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Ok I found a short thread that basically says everyone is different.....so what I got is if your scalp or hair seem to be coated to clarify. Right now I won't be using anything on my hair except the conditioner. And occasional shampoo. So I guess I will just have to see how it goes. I do like that EcoStyle gel that Lapushka told me about so that could be used occasionally.

Based on just my experience alone I would conclude that "need to clarify" is a myth. I have gone exactly two years now without ever shampooing my hair and I intend to keep on going as my hair is growing well and shows no signs of buildup and I use both silicones and oil. After every wash my hair and scalp are clean and oil free. But I also understand it is a very individual thing and you won't know unless you have tried it yourself.

vpatt
January 12th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Jeanniet and beborani, thank you both for the information. I will see how this goes, I tend to like instant results even though I am old enough to know better.

I have wondered if the extra scalp scrubbing could be the cause of some hair loss. I scrubbed mine well but gently.

MandyBeth
January 12th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Minion hasn't had shampoo on her hair since I forget when. Before, it's been pretty obvious the weird ends were damage vs build up. But now, I think we're potentially seeing build up from a few trials on different conditioners. So how do we go about clarifying her hair?

Shampoo options here are Keune color care, which doesn't strip anything really well, but it's nice for my very color treated hair, Paul Mitchell Shampoo One, which I use once weekly to get any build up off, and the Neutrogena clarifying shampoo that strips everything.

Then what do we do for the all but guaranteed dryness after?

bunneh.
January 13th, 2016, 05:51 AM
MandyBeth For removing build up on the hair use clarifying shampoo, it does stip hair of everything and leaves it dry, but afterwards you can condition the ends to fight dryness, maybe even try rinse-out oil technique, but go slowly, drop by drop, or the hair might look too oily. I use about 4 - 5 drops on my hair from about shoulder down, rinse it out with water and afterwards apply and rinse out two different conditioners and it works well for my hair, but might be too much for finer hair and weigh it down...

I used conditioner on my scalp to help remove a mixture of castor and olive oil from it and afterwards used shampoo and I noticed my hair was a lot softer than with shampoo only on scalp. I'm thinking now if I should try CO when I'm on vacation, because of the beach, wind, saltwater? I used to wash and condition my hair only but it got really dry and sad looking, so I'm wondering if CO would help with that?

lapushka
January 13th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Minion hasn't had shampoo on her hair since I forget when. Before, it's been pretty obvious the weird ends were damage vs build up. But now, I think we're potentially seeing build up from a few trials on different conditioners. So how do we go about clarifying her hair?

Shampoo options here are Keune color care, which doesn't strip anything really well, but it's nice for my very color treated hair, Paul Mitchell Shampoo One, which I use once weekly to get any build up off, and the Neutrogena clarifying shampoo that strips everything.

Then what do we do for the all but guaranteed dryness after?

A good deep conditioner or possibly think of conditioning twice.

lapushka
January 13th, 2016, 06:46 AM

You're welcome. If your scalp is left oily after CO, that isn't normal. Either the CO-wash isn't cleansing enough or there's something up with how you scrub/apply, or you *do* need to clarify more. Might also be that CO isn't for you (I went through that stage and got a flare-up of SD). Maybe a sulfate-free shampoo is better.

vpatt
January 13th, 2016, 07:37 AM
You're welcome. If your scalp is left oily after CO, that isn't normal. Either the CO-wash isn't cleansing enough or there's something up with how you scrub/apply, or you *do* need to clarify more. Might also be that CO isn't for you (I went through that stage and got a flare-up of SD). Maybe a sulfate-free shampoo is better.

After thinking about it, maybe oily is not the right word. My hair still had some body, but maybe more limp than usual. It feels clean to the touch.....i wish I could communicate better, lol. I will give it a while as long as I don't start shedding. I did notice more shedding than I have been having. But only slightly more so it could be considered 'normal'. Since the big shed over a year ago I have had VERY minimal shedding. So it may just be my season for shedding, tho I think that would be more towards fall.

Since I am going out later I think I will wash again this morning with conditioner....just to see how it does......and then I will be back on my normal schedule and will co wash once a week and use diluted shampoo once a week. If that works I am going to try stretching. Fingers crossed for no shedding.

GRU
January 13th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I highly recommend diluting conditioner for washing. It seems counterintuitive, that LESS conditioner will actually clean BETTER, but think about it -- when you wash your hands, do you just use soap, or do you also add water? When you shampoo your hair, do you just use shampoo, or do you add water to get it to lather up?

Same with conditioner. I put 2-3 ounces of conditioner in an 8-ounce color applicator bottle, then fill up with shower water, put the top back on, and shake to blend. Then I can apply the conditioner solution directly to my scalp, which is the area actually needing to be cleaned, and it will foam up when I scrub because of the added water.

I also run a Tangle Teezer brush through my hair and along my scalp -- it assists in creating the foaming action that helps lift away any dirt / grease / whatever is in my hair, and also removes any tangles in the process.

vpatt
January 20th, 2016, 04:21 AM
I've only completed one week and good points:
Seems very gentle to hair and scalp
Leaves the length feeling good...smooth and healthy

Bad points:
While it seems clean on day one by day two I have more oil, but not gobs....now I have to add that my hair was seeming to be a wee bit oilier than usual even with shampoo before beginning to CO wash.

I'm wondering if winter weather could cause more oil even tho that sounds backwards to me. It seems cold weather would cause dryer hair and scalp.

I am determined to try this for at least 2 months to see if I can adapt and hopefully produce less oil which I hope will equal fewer shampoos. Not sure I can go longer than that.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

GRU
January 20th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Bad points:
While it seems clean on day one by day two I have more oil, but not gobs....now I have to add that my hair was seeming to be a wee bit oilier than usual even with shampoo before beginning to CO wash.

Are you CO-washing every day, or less often than that?

If you're not washing every day, it's not unusual to see more oil at first -- your scalp is used to cranking out oil to replace what is stripped away by shampoo, and it can take some time for it to realize that it doesn't need to be in hyper-drive-mode anymore.

You can try a variety of different methods to counteract that. You can CO-wash more often than you were shampooing, then go back to stretching time between washes after your scalp adjusts to the "new normal" of CO-washes. Or you can add a little bit of shampoo to your conditioner for now, then slowly back off how much shampoo you are adding until you're just adding a drop or two and finally nothing.

But increased greasies are completely normal when you first start to CO-wash, because your scalp isn't yet used to the idea that it wasn't stripped down bare with each wash.

vpatt
January 20th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Are you CO-washing every day, or less often than that?

If you're not washing every day, it's not unusual to see more oil at first -- your scalp is used to cranking out oil to replace what is stripped away by shampoo, and it can take some time for it to realize that it doesn't need to be in hyper-drive-mode anymore.

You can try a variety of different methods to counteract that. You can CO-wash more often than you were shampooing, then go back to stretching time between washes after your scalp adjusts to the "new normal" of CO-washes. Or you can add a little bit of shampoo to your conditioner for now, then slowly back off how much shampoo you are adding until you're just adding a drop or two and finally nothing.

But increased greasies are completely normal when you first start to CO-wash, because your scalp isn't yet used to the idea that it wasn't stripped down bare with each wash.

GRU, thank you so much. I had been using shampoo twice a week. So that is what I am trying to do with the conditioner. But it is a bit oilier with the conditioner than it was with the shampoo.....I may try adding the shampoo as you said. I would like to stretch to a week eventually, I will see if that works. And maybe washing more often, too, for a while since it does not dry my hair to CO. The length is feeling very nice.

Your hair is so pretty!!

missrandie
January 20th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Alright, kids, I've taken the cowash plunge. So far, so good.

I actually didn't look it up before I started, and the first time I tried to cowash I didn't let my conditioner sit.. I just put it on, lathered, and rinsed it out. Oops.

Then I switched 1st wash conditioners to Suave Ocean Breeze (thinking my Mane n Tail was the problem) to try again, and got the bright idea that "hey, I let my SMT sit for 30 minutes, maybe I could try that!" clearly, if I had done any reading at all, I would have known that is what you are supposed to do. So. I did.

I now have a new problem: I cannot stop touching my hair. I know it loves moisture for sure, as it has always liked being washed more often for the sake of the length getting a drink, but now it's like that effect tenfold.

I also ROO my ends, which they love. So. Oil and conditioner. Whod'a thunk it.

Also, my sebum seems less waxy, for whatever reason. Now it's somehow softer and less helmet like.

vpatt
January 21st, 2016, 06:01 AM
I have been washing and rinsing once, should I wash with conditioner twice?

GRU
January 22nd, 2016, 09:15 AM
There is no "one right answer".

Some people (like me) just wash with conditioner and let it sit while they complete their other showerly duties, then rinse.

Some people wash with conditioner, rinse that out, then add conditioner again and let that sit.

Some people wash with one conditioner brand, rinse that out, then condition with a different brand of conditioner.

It can take a bit of trial and error to figure out what your hair likes. Personally, I found that since I'm not abusing my hair with shampoo anymore, it doesn't really NEED a lot of conditioning, so the wash/sit/rinse method works fine for me.

You may find that your hair needs the double-dose of conditioning now, but as the years go on and your old damage disappears, your fresh and unadulterated growth just doesn't need so much babying because it's so strong and healthy to begin with. (I haven't trimmed my hair in probably six months... I just looked and I can't find a single split end. My hair is happy and healthy using CO as my method and the Tangle Teezer as my only brush!)

GRU
January 22nd, 2016, 09:18 AM
GRU, thank you so much. I had been using shampoo twice a week. So that is what I am trying to do with the conditioner. But it is a bit oilier with the conditioner than it was with the shampoo.....I may try adding the shampoo as you said. I would like to stretch to a week eventually, I will see if that works. And maybe washing more often, too, for a while since it does not dry my hair to CO. The length is feeling very nice.

Your hair is so pretty!!

If you were shampooing twice a week, I'd recommend CO-washing three times a week for starters. That will get the grease washed off for you, while still getting the message to your scalp that it can "SLOW DOWN ALREADY!!!!" with the grease production because it's not being stripped down anymore.

vpatt
January 22nd, 2016, 10:22 AM
Sounds like I am doing the routine that you do. I did add a bit of extra conditioner to my ends this morning as it is cold I thought they might need it. I have not settled on any one or two conditioners yet. I have 6 or 7 brands to try out.

Thanks again. :blossom:

sillyme
January 22nd, 2016, 01:34 PM
I've been lurking on this board for quite a while now (I read all 904 pages!). I've been experimenting with CO since Nov 2015 after having inconsistent results from shampoo bars and soap-based shampoos. So far, so good with the CO for my straight, somewhat fine hair. I started my CO experiment with Suave Juicy Green Apple Conditioner with great results. I moved on from there and tried a coney conditioner I had (HE The Sleeker the Butter) with not-great results. I bought two different VO5 conditioners (Blackberry Sage Tea and Shea Cashmere). They did okay during the washing, great slip, but my hair was a little drier and "rougher" after it dried, than when using Suave. I now have Suave Sun Kissed Strawberry and Suave Cherry Blossoms and am having great results with both. I like the scent of the Strawberry best though.

So, if I'm having such great results...WHY, oh WHY, did I just go to Walmart yesterday and buy the Suave Morning Bliss 2 in 1 Shampoo/Conditioner? I just couldn't resist that grapefruit scent (I love citrus), and the added caffeine. It sounded like a wonderful combination and I thought, "Well, it ...might...work like a cleansing conditioner." No. No. No. It acted like a diuretic and sucked out all the moisture in my hair when I used it this morning. I'm suffering through the day, just counting the hours until I can CO tomorrow morning with one of my Suave Conditioners. I hope I don't stray again.

Thanks everyone, for all your great posts on this thread. I've enjoyed reading each and every one of them and now plan to participate more! :)

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2016, 04:30 PM
This method was brought to my attention and I may jump on board; my hair has been super dry in this cold air....sucking up loads of oil with little effect.

To start I may add a wee bit of shampoo as suggested, and tweak it from there.

We shall see....now back to reading all 900 pages of this thread (already did the last 4) :p

GRU
January 22nd, 2016, 04:53 PM
So, if I'm having such great results...WHY, oh WHY, did I just go to Walmart yesterday and buy the Suave Morning Bliss 2 in 1 Shampoo/Conditioner? I just couldn't resist that grapefruit scent (I love citrus), and the added caffeine. It sounded like a wonderful combination and I thought, "Well, it ...might...work like a cleansing conditioner." No. No. No. It acted like a diuretic and sucked out all the moisture in my hair when I used it this morning. I'm suffering through the day, just counting the hours until I can CO tomorrow morning with one of my Suave Conditioners. I hope I don't stray again.

Ah, yes, that's known as being a Product Junkie. It's a sickness many of us share. We should have meetings, like AA, I swear! LOL

And I feel your pain.... I only shampoo typically once a year, and every time I just cringe through the whole process -- it makes my hair feel like straw as I'm rubbing the lather through! I can't believe I used to do that to my poor hair EVERY DAY FOR OVER THREE DECADES!!!!

shudder: shudder: shudder:

If your hair is still pissed off tomorrow, treat it to an SMT... mine will forgive me just about anything for a nice, moisturizing SMT-like treatment!

GRU
January 22nd, 2016, 04:54 PM
To start I may add a wee bit of shampoo as suggested, and tweak it from there.

Honestly, if your hair isn't looking greasy, I wouldn't add any shampoo at all.....

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2016, 05:06 PM
Honestly, if your hair isn't looking greasy, I wouldn't add any shampoo at all.....

Ok....thanks :)
I had already added a few squirts of shampoo to the bottle before I read your post, so I used it and conditioned twice after, letting the last one sit while I showered!
Next time :whistle:

Question:

- Is a regular conditioner ok.....or is a cleansing conditioner preferable (or is that just a sales hype)?

Thanks for all your help...I am excited about simplifying my routine and lessening costs/products. :)

ETA: Reading on page 896 I see you can use any conditioner....whatever works; that's cool!
I appreciate any personal feedback :)

Clarkie
January 22nd, 2016, 05:53 PM
Ok....thanks!

Question: is a regular condish ok.....or is a cleansing condish preferable (or just a sales hype)?

Regular conditioner is all I've ever used except for a brief stint with Wen which I believe is marketed as a "cleansing conditioner"
The trick for me has been to use a generous handful and gently massage it into my scalp. I then rinse this out well and apply another generous handful to my entire length and leave it in for a few minutes. I rinse again and I'm good to go.
My hair looks just as clean as if I'd used shampoo but feels so much softer and smoother.
Good luck GG, let us know how you make out.:o

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM
Regular conditioner is all I've ever used except for a brief stint with Wen which I believe is marketed as a "cleansing conditioner"
The trick for me has been to use a generous handful and gently massage it into my scalp. I then rinse this out well and apply another generous handful to my entire length and leave it in for a few minutes. I rinse again and I'm good to go.
My hair looks just as clean as if I'd used shampoo but feels so much softer and smoother.
Good luck GG, let us know how you make out.:o

So you do NOT dilute it!

I'll play with both methods, and see what works in the long run; diluted would save $$ :hmm:

ETA: I did a quick 1 min warm/cool scalp blow dry and let the rest air dry (in Winter only; I can't stand a cold wet scalp).
It is not an accurate assessment seeing I had a bit of shampoo in there, but my hair feels soft and clean.
It is poofy so I can't determine the static/dryness, but tomorrow I will when it is normally sleek after sleeping on it.

I am off to read back through the thread so you don't have to repeat yourself; I will edit out my questions if I come across the answers before you reply :wink:

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2016, 10:41 PM
I had rinsed the second application out, but have been reading that some do the wash and then just a leave in.
Do you apply the last conditioner (rinsed out or left in) to your whole head or just the ends?

ETA: I just saw GRU's whole morning routine; quoted by LCT on page #8738
I haven't found the OP yet cuz I am working backwards through the thread lol....question answered :wink:

shrinkingviolet
January 23rd, 2016, 12:36 AM
Interesting. I heard about this a few years ago and tried it once out curiousity. Despite doing a lot of research prior and using CO friendly conditioner, my hair still felt absolutely digusting. I'm glad it has worked well for others.

GRU
January 23rd, 2016, 12:46 AM
I had rinsed the second application out, but have been reading that some do the wash and then just a leave in.
Do you apply the last conditioner (rinsed out or left in) to your whole head or just the ends?

ETA: I just saw GRU's whole morning routine; quoted by LCT on page #8738
I haven't found the OP yet cuz I am working backwards through the thread lol....question answered :wink:

I apply a smaller amount to the top, then a bit more to the length. I get my hair really wet on top, so it's easier to spread a small amount over a large area, and apply a very small amount to my hands, rub it around on my hands, then run my fingers through my crown. Then I squeeze out the excess water and apply a larger amount to my length.

missrandie
January 23rd, 2016, 08:47 AM
Interesting. I heard about this a few years ago and tried it once out curiousity. Despite doing a lot of research prior and using CO friendly conditioner, my hair still felt absolutely digusting. I'm glad it has worked well for others.

Mine did too the first time I did it, but then I realized that my method was quite flawed. I didn't let it soak the first time, and that was my error.

I overcame it my letting my condish soak in my hair for a good 20 minutes and really getting in there with my fingertips and massaging my scalp. Also rinsing like crazy.

Since I have NOT read the whole thread, as it appears quite daunting, what do y'all think about using a shampoo brush for this?

GRU
January 23rd, 2016, 09:04 AM
Since I have NOT read the whole thread, as it appeasr quite daunting, what do y'all think about using a shampoo brush for this?

I brush my conditioner through my hair with a Tangle Teezer brush. It REALLY makes the conditioner foam up and lift away any dirt/debris, plus it gently detangles my hair in the process.

I also dilute my conditioner significantly (2-3 ounces of conditioner with 4-5 ounces of water) before applying it to my head. I get MUCH more lathering this way, and it rinses out much more easily, too.

missrandie
January 23rd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Thank you, GRU!

Groovy Granny
January 23rd, 2016, 09:31 AM
I apply a smaller amount to the top, then a bit more to the length. I get my hair really wet on top, so it's easier to spread a small amount over a large area, and apply a very small amount to my hands, rub it around on my hands, then run my fingers through my crown. Then I squeeze out the excess water and apply a larger amount to my length.

Thanks GRU
I did a lot of reading on this thread last night, and realized today that I blew the whole thing.... and am not even considering today's results :p
I added shampoo (small amount).....used lots of conditioner..... but then rinsed it out, and never put any leave in or oil :doh:
My hair is a bit silkier, but I needed a bit of oil on my ends this morning for static.

I will start Monday and CO on M-W-F.using your method GRU and will tweak from there :thumbsup:
I have a new bottle for dilution, all my conditioners lined up and am ready to go :cheer:

Thanks for all your help!

GRU
January 23rd, 2016, 10:52 AM
Thank you, GRU!

You're very welcome! I learned SOOOOOOO much here on LHC, and I love being able to pay it forward!

Thanks GRU
I did a lot of reading on this thread last night, and realized today that I blew the whole thing.... and am not even considering today's results :p
I added shampoo (small amount).....used lots of conditioner..... but then rinsed it out, and never put any leave in or oil :doh:
My hair is a bit silkier, but I needed a bit of oil on my ends this morning for static.

I will start Monday and CO on M-W-F.using your method GRU and will tweak from there :thumbsup:
I have a new bottle for dilution, all my conditioners lined up and am ready to go :cheer:

Thanks for all your help!

Yay for starting over.... be sure to report back and let us know how it goes! Don't forget, too, that using the Tangle Teezer to distribute the conditioner not only detangles like a boss, but it also foams up the conditioner and helps lift away dirt/grease/whatever.

I could never go on the Survivor show..... they only let you bring ONE thing, and I couldn't choose between a bottle of conditioner and a Tangle Teezer brush. Both are ABSOLUTE NECESSITIES for me!

Groovy Granny
January 23rd, 2016, 11:03 AM
LOL me neither ;)

Yes, I spotted your mention of the brush and stuck it in the shower so I wouldn't forget :o

I'm excited to see how it works; my hair is so out of control in this cold (wish I hadn't messed it up lol)
Oh well..I will oil and bun it; Monday will be here soon enough :D

Thank you; GRU ~ my CO GURU :flowers:

Your hair is amazing :thud:

vpatt
January 23rd, 2016, 12:23 PM
GRU, I think your hair is fantastic, wow. I thought I was doing just like you, but I don't use the TT or add oil. If I stop producing oil then I may add the oil to my routine.

Lots of new posts here.....my computer keeps going offline due to the storm.....at last check we were up to 18" of snow.

Groovy Granny
January 23rd, 2016, 01:52 PM
GRU, I think your hair is fantastic, wow. I thought I was doing just like you, but I don't use the TT or add oil. If I stop producing oil then I may add the oil to my routine.

Lots of new posts here.....my computer keeps going offline due to the storm.....at last check we were up to 18" of snow.

Wow vpatt...stay safe (((hugs)))
We were spared this one in northern New England!

vpatt
January 23rd, 2016, 04:29 PM
Wow vpatt...stay safe (((hugs)))
We were spared this one in northern New England!

Lol, it's usually you guys getting blasted, I think. But we get a good one once in a while. We are good and I think it has just about stopped. The chickens have been bothered the most by having to stay in the coop. As long as we don't lose power we should be fine.

sillyme
January 23rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Ah, yes, that's known as being a Product Junkie. It's a sickness many of us share. We should have meetings, like AA, I swear! LOL

And I feel your pain.... I only shampoo typically once a year, and every time I just cringe through the whole process -- it makes my hair feel like straw as I'm rubbing the lather through! I can't believe I used to do that to my poor hair EVERY DAY FOR OVER THREE DECADES!!!!

shudder: shudder: shudder:

If your hair is still pissed off tomorrow, treat it to an SMT... mine will forgive me just about anything for a nice, moisturizing SMT-like treatment!

Thanks for the advice, GRU. I wrote the instructions for the SMT treatment in my hair care notebook quite a while back while reading through this thread. I plan to try it one day, but I didn't really need it today. I CO'd with my Suave Cherry Blossom Conditioner this morning and my hair was back to its smooth, shiny self again. I guess it forgave me for my digression back to shampoo yesterday. I guess I'll dig out my Walmart receipt and take the 2 in 1 back to the store for a refund. Morning Bliss indeed, more like Morning Nightmare for me! :rolleyes:

LongCurlyTress
January 23rd, 2016, 05:14 PM
I get lather/suds when CO-washing, especially when I use the Tangle Teezer brush. Not everyone gets suds -- depends on your water chemistry and the ingredients in your conditioner -- but I get quite a bit of sudsing action, even with such a diluted mix of conditioner.

Here's a rundown of my current routine:

Reluctantly roll out of bed (I am not a morning person).
Shuffle to kitchen to consume copious amounts of caffeine before proceeding to the bathroom (I am NOT a morning person!).
Remove sleeping top-knot.
Remove jammies.
Turn on shower and get in.
Wet hair thoroughly.
Squirt 1-2 ounces of Suave Naturals Tropical Conditioner into a color applicator bottle (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Applicator-Bottle/SBS-265100,default,pd.html) and fill the rest of the way (leaving a half inch or so of space at the top) with shower water. Shake well (that half inch of air space is necessary for good shaking action).
Apply bottle contents to scalp (the pointed tip allows me to apply it directly to the scalp for good coverage) and any remaining amount to the length.
Scrub scalp thoroughly with conditioner solution.
Apply additional conditioner (full strength) as needed to completely coat the length.
Using Tangle Teezer brush (http://www.sallybeauty.com/detangling-brush/TGLTEZ1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH) (and adding more conditioner as needed), detangle the hair until Tangle Teezer will pass freely from scalp to ends (while hair is still saturated with conditioner).
Continue with other showerly duties while the conditioner does its job.
Rinse hair.
Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (approx. 1 tablespoon (15ml) of ACV in about a liter of water). I keep a water bottle filled with ACV in my shower with a huge plastic cup stored upside down on top of the bottle. This way I never have to remember to make my ACV rinse before getting into the shower (I really am *not* a morning person!). I don't actually measure anything -- I just splash a tiny bit of ACV into the bottom of the cup, then fill it the rest of the way with shower water.
Dump ACV mix over hair and scalp.
Do a haphazard rinse (I probably remove about half of the ACV).
Turn off shower.
Apply a very small amount of conditioner to one hand, then rub hands together and smooth conditioner over and into hair on top of head. Hair is still quite wet at this point, so the conditioner on this part of my head ends up being thinned out quite a bit.
Squeeze water out of length (use hands to make a fist over sections of length to squeeze out the water from scalp down towards ends -- no twisting!).
Apply a larger amount of conditioner to the length, making sure to distribute completely (add more conditioner if needed to reach all the way to the ends). Squeeze excess moisture out as needed.
Comb through with Tangle Teezer again. I find this helps to align my curls and get them to clump up better than if I let them do their own thing after applying conditioner.
Do a modified plop into a Turbie-Twist. (I bend forward and capture the ends of my hair in the pocket part of the Turbie, then lift it upwards towards my head, making sure that all hair is inside the pocket. When all the length is piled into the Turbie, I put that on my head and fasten it in the regular manner. My length is NOT in the part that gets twisted and fastened -- it's all on top of my head as in a regular "plop".)
Get out of shower.
Remove gerbil of shed hair from the Hair Stopper (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bathroom-drain-hair-stopper/1013708878).
Rinse off the Hair Stopper.
Rinse off the bottom of the tub so the next person doesn't accidentally do the unintentional splits. (Conditioner drips make for a slippery tub surface!)
Close shower curtain.
Scrunch hair through the Turbie-Twist to absorb excess moisture.
Remove Turbie-Twist.
Use an old t-shirt to turban hair, putting hair inside the shirt like a huge sock.
Put on undies and socks.
Remove t-shirt turban, turn around to the other (dry) side, and re-turban hair.
Put on pants and shirt.
Put on shoes.
Remove t-shirt turban.
Shake head a little.
Walk out door.

This is fantastic GRU!! Thank you so much for this great instructional post!! ;)

Groovy Granny
January 23rd, 2016, 05:34 PM
This is fantastic GRU!! Thank you so much for this great instructional post!! ;)

You found it :thumbsup:
I saw your quote last night, but never found the OP reading back lol
Then I was so overwhelmed with info I forgot to bookmark your post and repost it :o
Thanks LCT.....and thanks again GRU :)

Groovy Granny
January 23rd, 2016, 05:35 PM
Lol, it's usually you guys getting blasted, I think. But we get a good one once in a while. We are good and I think it has just about stopped. The chickens have been bothered the most by having to stay in the coop. As long as we don't lose power we should be fine.

Hopefully the worst is over for you!
Stay warm.

Salwety
January 23rd, 2016, 11:05 PM
For me stop using shampoo was the best thing that I have ever done to my hair. After 3 month of alternating between co washing and water only washing, my curls are well defined, relatevly soft and shiny than before. My challenge is trying to find a cone free conditioner. They are not popular where I live. But I cannot complain, I am lucky enough to find main n tail.

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 02:21 AM
Ugh, if my scalp wasn't so flaky and in need of shampooing I would definitely join you fellows and ladies. Conditioner is my best friend :smooch: but the scalp needs special dandruff-fighting attention :rolleyes:
Maybe one day!

PristineAllure
January 24th, 2016, 02:43 AM
I used to be a co wash only girl. But lately I've been feeling the need for something a little bit more, so I've add a 2 in 1 shampoo conditioner to my routine. I love both methods, using only conditioner and also when I add the 2 in 1. So I will just use the 2 in 1 when I have too much build up.

Groovy Granny
January 24th, 2016, 09:30 AM
For me stop using shampoo was the best thing that I have ever done to my hair. After 3 month of alternating between co washing and water only washing, my curls are well defined, relatevly soft and shiny than before. My challenge is trying to find a cone free conditioner. They are not popular where I live. But I cannot complain, I am lucky enough to find main n tail.
Wow EGYPT! Welcome :)

Ugh, if my scalp wasn't so flaky and in need of shampooing I would definitely join you fellows and ladies. Conditioner is my best friend :smooch: but the scalp needs special dandruff-fighting attention :rolleyes:
Maybe one day!
Awww (((Hugs)))) YOu hair is amazing even without CO :thud:

I used to be a co wash only girl. But lately I've been feeling the need for something a little bit more, so I've add a 2 in 1 shampoo conditioner to my routine. I love both methods, using only conditioner and also when I add the 2 in 1. So I will just use the 2 in 1 when I have too much build up.

That's an idea :thumbsup:....and welcome to you too!
I have enough of both for a while cuz hubby and I share..... so if needed I'd do a squirt of shampoo in the mix until I run out. :wink:

PristineAllure
January 24th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Groovy Granny Thanks for the warm welcome!

sillyme
January 24th, 2016, 05:26 PM

PristineAllure would you mind telling which 2 in 1 you use? I used the Suave Morning Mist 2 in 1 this week but it dried out my hair so bad after just one use. I would love to have one that would work that I could use when I'm in a big hurry and don't have time for the regular massage and extra rinsing that CO takes. Thanks! :)

MandyBeth
January 24th, 2016, 07:13 PM
So Minion, the one with insane amounts of hair. It's well on the floor when wet, but has been shrinking to waist usually once dry.

So Friday, I clarified her hair finally, then let it sit covered in SMT, rinsed, heavily oiled, redid the SMT and trimmed the ends that refused to clump while wet - about 3" overall. Blah blah, I know, cut curly hair dry. But then her hair is too massive and I can't pick out fuzzy sections. I typically retrim to even any stragglers or noticeable weirdness once dry. Her hair was 6.5" on the floor when wet, just dry enough to not drip.

Her hair is now dry. It doesn't feel off at all, maybe still slightly dry as her hair really doesn't like shampoo. Her color is normal, if mostly dye stripped now as Manic Panic didn't last through the cleaning and follow up. It's as easy to manage as ever.

But good grief. Her ends now are almost fingertip. I don't know if her length is over moisturized and it's weighted down, or if we finally got enough moisture in her hair. Guess we'll find out.

PristineAllure
January 24th, 2016, 09:02 PM
PristineAllure would you mind telling which 2 in 1 you use? I used the Suave Morning Mist 2 in 1 this week but it dried out my hair so bad after just one use. I would love to have one that would work that I could use when I'm in a big hurry and don't have time for the regular massage and extra rinsing that CO takes. Thanks! :)

I use the Aussie Moist 2 in 1. I absolutely love it. I used a Suave shampoo some years back and it dried my hair out so badly as well. I think the Aussie should do the trick for you!

Salwety
January 25th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Welcome back Groovy Granny, and happy hair day everyone :)

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Welcome back Groovy Granny, and happy hair day everyone :)

Thank you :)....but I have been here all along lol

However YOU are new...welcome! :)

I messed up my first CO last week is all :o

Tonight I will start the new CO program and plan to do M-W-F to start
I picked up some Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner, but I have others to use up/cleanse with first.
Then I have plenty of Joico Moisture as a scalp leave in, and K Pak or Shea Moisture for the ends.

I'm exciting to begin and hope it works well; it feels good to simplify and I'd love to remedy this Winter flyaway issue better than I have with oil. :cheer:

Aubren
January 25th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Hi all. New here. Just cowashed for the first time last night, my hair feels a little oily at the scalp, I imagine it'll take my scalp some getting used to. I used tresemme naturals, then today I bought suave. Hopefully the begins to help me because my hair is so so dry!

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Hi all. New here. Just cowashed for the first time last night, my hair feels a little oily at the scalp, I imagine it'll take my scalp some getting used to. I used tresemme naturals, then today I bought suave. Hopefully the begins to help me because my hair is so so dry!

Hi Aubren ~ welcome :)

Did you just do one co wash....a second rinse out....or leave ins after?

I plan to use up a bottle of conditioner I have for a wash before trying Suave.
After I will use a lighter conditioner for my scalp (teensy bit) and a heavier leave in for my ends...and start from there.
That was my normal routine, the only difference now is no poo and more conditioner.

It seems there are lots of routines to choose from....I hope I don't have to tweak mine too much off the bat :p

Good luck :cheer:

Aubren
January 25th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I did a "wash" with the conditioner first, then I let it sit for a few minutes, but I put the second conditioner on my whole head as well, maybe next time I will do the second conditioner ears down only? Not sure if that made sense. I'm trying to get used to the hair care slang lol.

Hi Aubren ~ welcome :)

Did you just do one co wash....a second rinse out....or leave ins after?

I plan to use up a bottle of conditioner I have for a wash before trying Suave.
After I will use a lighter conditioner for my scalp (teensy bit) and a heavier leave in for my ends...and start from there.
That was my normal routine, the only difference now is no poo and more conditioner.

It seems there are lots of routines to choose from....I hope I don't have to tweak mine too much off the bat :p

Good luck :cheer:

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2016, 12:56 PM
LOL It made perfect sense :thumbsup:

ETA: First try tonight
Lesson learned = DO NOT LEAVE CONDITIONER IN HAIR :p

I did the cleansing, let it sit, used my brush; repeated then rinsed well.

I added a teensy bit of joico to my scalp and a teensy bit of kpak to leave in.

When I removed my towel, my hair was covered in a heavy greasy sludge. :puke:...making it hard to rake a comb through, and impossible to even use a dryer on my scalp.

So....I stuck my head under the shower and rinsed it out; never again will I leave it in :tmi:

Now my hair is very shiny , soft, and has volume, but not the out of control fluff.
Tomorrow will tell the tale when it is usually sleek but the ends have been dry and flyaway :popcorn:

Does it take time to see results...or is it immediate usually?

sillyme
January 25th, 2016, 07:22 PM
I use the Aussie Moist 2 in 1. I absolutely love it. I used a Suave shampoo some years back and it dried my hair out so badly as well. I think the Aussie should do the trick for you!

Thank you! I've been thinking about trying that one. Sometimes I just crave a good lathering after going a while with CO.

Beborani
January 25th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Groovy Granny, I have been Co-washing for 3 years now and without any shampooing at all for 2. I think a lot depends on the conditioner you use for washing and I think I lucked out in that the first conditioner I tried was perfect for me. Subsequently I tried a couple of other popular ones and they didn't work just as well. It is quite likely if I started with one of those I may not have stuck with cowashing or may have been frustrated at the very least. I do recall that I kept all other part of my routine the same and just substituted cowash conditioner for shampoo initially. There was no 'adjusting' period for me--My hair and I liked the process immediately. I did tweak the routine a bit over time.

Lady Menelwen
January 25th, 2016, 09:48 PM
I tried CoWashing a few years back; my hair liked it, but I kept getting buildup on my scalp even after the adjustment period, so I switched to sulfate-free shampoo.

I may try CoWashing again, but I'm curious if it's okay to use a low to no sulfate poo maybe once a month to bust the buildup?

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Groovy Granny, I have been Co-washing for 3 years now and without any shampooing at all for 2. I think a lot depends on the conditioner you use for washing and I think I lucked out in that the first conditioner I tried was perfect for me. Subsequently I tried a couple of other popular ones and they didn't work just as well. It is quite likely if I started with one of those I may not have stuck with cowashing or may have been frustrated at the very least. I do recall that I kept all other part of my routine the same and just substituted cowash conditioner for shampoo initially. There was no 'adjusting' period for me--My hair and I liked the process immediately. I did tweak the routine a bit over time.

The only thing I obviously cannot do is leave the conditioners IN; my hair is just too fine.
After I rinsed the second application out my hair was back to normal....even better than when I used to shampoo.
Tomorrow I can tell better; it is always poofy the first night :)

One thing I did notice when showering that my shedding was minimal...and I was using my detangle brush :thumbsup:

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I tried CoWashing a few years back; my hair liked it, but I kept getting buildup on my scalp even after the adjustment period, so I switched to sulfate-free shampoo.

I may try CoWashing again, but I'm curious if it's okay to use a low to no sulfate poo maybe once a month to bust the buildup?

Some have said they do that...and I plan to do it also if I see a need....but I will give this a good try!

Lady Menelwen
January 25th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Some have said they do that...and I plan to do it also if I see a need....but I will give this a good try!

Good luck~ :cheer:

Beborani
January 25th, 2016, 09:59 PM
The only thing I obviously cannot do is leave the conditioners IN; my hair is just too fine.
After I rinsed the second application out my hair was back to normal....even better than when I used to shampoo.
Tomorrow I can tell better; it is always poofy the first night :)

I can leave globs of conditioner in and then globs of gel or other styling product--once dry it is like they were never there. :) but that was even before I started cowashing. good luck--hope you love it. I don't miss shampoo at all.

LongCurlyTress
January 25th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I did this today and my hair was so easy to detangle in the shower!! I was careful to not let the conditioner get into my roots but it did help with detangling!! Yay!

Groovy Granny
January 25th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Good luck~ :cheer:

I can leave globs of conditioner in and then globs of gel or other styling product--once dry it is like they were never there. :) but that was even before I started cowashing. good luck--hope you love it. I don't miss shampoo at all.

Thanks, I think I will like it....tonight it felt great,and tomorrow I'll see how the static is (I didn't use any oil but can add some).
LOL I didn't use globs at all.... not even a teaspoon; it would have taken a week to dry.
I couldn't even lift my scalp hair to dry, it it was so heavy.....and slimey :P

I did this today and my hair was so easy to detangle in the shower!! I was careful to not let the conditioner get into my roots but it did help with detangling!! Yay!

Yay...so happy it worked for you. :)

My main change will be using conditioner as the shampoo .....then doing my usual regimen....and I will be fine!:cheer:
Thankfully my bottle is small...I want to try the Suave Coconut lol

GRU
January 26th, 2016, 12:05 AM
I added a teensy bit of joico to my scalp and a teensy bit of kpak to leave in.

When I removed my towel, my hair was covered in a heavy greasy sludge. :puke:...making it hard to rake a comb through, and impossible to even use a dryer on my scalp.

It could have been a reaction of the two products together, like mixing two halves of an epoxy, that created the sludge problem.

I leave in the SNTC and it's fine, but I've noticed certain other products I've tried before just don't work the same. For me, products with good "slip" in the shower tend to be better choices for leaving in. But as with anything, everyone's hair is different, so Your Mileage May Vary!

Salwety
January 26th, 2016, 04:59 AM
I have been co washing for three month, leave in the second application and style my hair using the LOC method withthe oil and styling cream or gel, still did not notice a build up.

Groovy Granny
January 26th, 2016, 09:44 AM
It could have been a reaction of the two products together, like mixing two halves of an epoxy, that created the sludge problem.

I leave in the SNTC and it's fine, but I've noticed certain other products I've tried before just don't work the same. For me, products with good "slip" in the shower tend to be better choices for leaving in. But as with anything, everyone's hair is different, so Your Mileage May Vary!

Thanks GRU....that was GROSS :puke: lol

Today I am thrilled ~ I have volume but my hair is sleek and no flyaways or need for oil :happydance:

It looks like the second application rinsed out is the way to go for ME....and the CO shampoo adds enough moisture to tame my fluff!

I can't wait to see the difference on my 'triple the volume curl explosion' in humid weather :wink:

Thanks so much for your help, and everyone's input ~ this is great...for my hair and my pocketbook! :flowers:

GRU
January 26th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Today I am thrilled ~ I have volume but my hair is sleek and no flyaways or need for oil :happydance:

Yay, I'm so glad you're having such success!

Wait until you've been doing this for several months, and you start feeling the structural difference in the strands of hair.... I could physically FEEL where my "virgin" (CO-only hair) ended and the old damaged (previously shampooed) hair started!

I really noticed it at about the three month mark. At that point, I had over an inch of unadulterated hair, so I could start at my scalp and feel how smooth each individual strand was as I dragged my fingers down it, and then all of a sudden the hair got all rough and icky feeling. Like switching from a freshly laid asphalt freeway to a rutted and potholed dirt road! It was so neat to see that icky mark move farther and farther down with each passing month!

Groovy Granny
January 26th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Wow...that's crazy :agape:

Yup I am very happy.....I have never had second day hair like this...and in the cold of Winter!

Looking forward to continuing with it and seeing the changes :)

LongCurlyTress
January 26th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Wow...that's crazy :agape:

Yup I am very happy.....I have never had second day hair like this...and in the cold of Winter!

Looking forward to continuing with it and seeing the changes :)

I am happy it worked for you!! Yay!! ;)

Groovy Granny
January 26th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Thanks LCT :)
It was almost a disaster...if you could have seen the look on hubby's face :p

I see you've joined the club too :thumbsup:
I hope it also helps your tangles!

vpatt
January 27th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I am still adjusting, trying to get beyond the oily (for me) stage. It has just been two weeks, so I am still washing two to three times per week. The ends do feel nice, and I know I may never be able to stretch to once a week.....but I can hope,lol. I am amazed at your description of your hairs improvement, GRU. I keep thinking about trying water only for part of the week.....but then I fall under the spell of the yummy fragrances of the conditioners. GG, I'm glad it's working so well for you.

Groovy Granny
January 27th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Hi vpatt :)
I am sorry you are struggling with this!

Could it be the conditioner you are using is too heavy/oily :hmm:
Are you rinsing out the second application....and avoiding your roots like LCT?
I hope you find just the right combo for your hair!

Initially because of what others said re: the oil/scalp adjustment, I planned to shampoo M-W-F, but here I am looking like I JUST did it :agape:
So I will wait until Friday; I really doubt I could go a week....but who knows :shrug:

missrandie
January 27th, 2016, 01:33 PM
So, because I wanna use the applicator bottle for cowashing, I shampooed yesterday. Then I left some condish throughout and oil on the ends for about 40 minutes.

At this point, I don't think my hair would even behave if it was TBL and I could bun the heck out of it, cause it's soooo slippery that it would probably even spit out a ficcare. In fact, it escaped one yesterday.

There's one more shampooing's worth in that bottle, and it's custom mixed so I can't just pour it back into the main. But seriously, I had to tuck it all under a silk scarf and a buff just to keep it from sliding everywhere!

I really liked cowashed behaving hair better than wild slippy sproingy craziness. Like seriously, Teflon had a baby with silicone and made satin and slip n slide the godparents. And that child became my hair.

Groovy Granny
January 27th, 2016, 01:48 PM
LOL your descriptions are hilarious.....you have a flare for writing :wink:

missrandie
January 27th, 2016, 02:49 PM
LOL your descriptions are hilarious.....you have a flare for writing :wink:

Lol thank you. My high school English teacher honed that skill in me quite well.

GRU
January 27th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Like seriously, Teflon had a baby with silicone and made satin and slip n slide the godparents. And that child became my hair.

As a curly with hair that is coarse, I can't even begin to imagine that kind of smoothness.....

GRU
January 27th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I am still adjusting, trying to get beyond the oily (for me) stage. It has just been two weeks, so I am still washing two to three times per week. The ends do feel nice, and I know I may never be able to stretch to once a week.....but I can hope,lol.

Don't forget that different products might work differently, too.... lots of trial and error, and you're in your infancy still! ;)

Are you brushing through the conditioner in your hair?

I am amazed at your description of your hairs improvement, GRU.

It might not be as noticeable in you folks with smoother, straighter hair to begin with -- all I have to compare it to is my hair that looks and feels like a Brillo pad. I should have kept some of my sheds from back then and looked at them under a microscope, to see the structural damage to the cuticle from my pre-LHC life. Maybe some of you newbies can do that and share it with the rest of us!

vpatt
January 27th, 2016, 08:10 PM
GRU & GG.......I think what I am seeing right after washing is not oil. It has that look to me but feels so nice and clean. Could it be too much moisture? Sometimes by day two it doesn't have that same look. Now yes, on day three there is oil...real oil, which I hope my scalp will stop producing so abundantly. But this issue when it is fresh washed is puzzling to me.....I guess I described it as oil because oil is what I'm familiar with. I have mostly been using As I Am CoWash, but one day last week I tried Soap Box with the same issue. I think I have Tresseme Natural, Suave Natural and VO5. Lol, yeah I didn't go crazy buying conditioner....and I didn't even name the ones I already had.

MandyBeth
January 28th, 2016, 05:54 AM
So Minion still has fingertip or so length. Why the heck is it I cut her hair, it looks longer.

And yes, I know. For her, as her ends go to hell, they don't hold moisture, thus spring and fluff up more. If her ends hold moisture, they get weighted down.

Clearly I've been CO washing her hair too long. The girls were watching older tour vlogs and pointed out someone had very nice curly hair, he must CO wash unlike some. Which made me spit out my drink laughing, because it's an entirely accurate statement but I never thought of it that way.

GRU
January 28th, 2016, 06:31 AM
GRU & GG.......I think what I am seeing right after washing is not oil. It has that look to me but feels so nice and clean. Could it be too much moisture? Sometimes by day two it doesn't have that same look. Now yes, on day three there is oil...real oil, which I hope my scalp will stop producing so abundantly. But this issue when it is fresh washed is puzzling to me.....I guess I described it as oil because oil is what I'm familiar with. I have mostly been using As I Am CoWash, but one day last week I tried Soap Box with the same issue. I think I have Tresseme Natural, Suave Natural and VO5. Lol, yeah I didn't go crazy buying conditioner....and I didn't even name the ones I already had.

Or maybe what you're seeing is HEALTHY hair, rather than "too much moisture"?

If the cuticle is all "fluffed up" from shampoo, the hair might look lighter.... like how damaged ends often look lighter in color than healthier roots.

vpatt
January 28th, 2016, 07:21 AM
GRU, you could be right.....I am just not sure. I will just keep going....it is not a big problem, just a little puzzle. I appreciate your help so much and I love your hair!

Last nite I spotted a man bun on Code Black and this morning a long hair on ID TV.

MandyBeth
January 28th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Eh, we see long haired guys all the time, thanks to music choices here. Plus DH with his dreads. I sometimes forget longer hair on men isn't normal. Ok frequently forget that.

missrandie
January 28th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I just might have gone overboard today at the grocery store. I picked up a 12 oz bottle of V05 kiwi, a Suave 12 oz green apple, and a 30 oz Suave Daily clarifying. All conditioners, no shampoo. In fact, I put all but one shampoo away.

Lol I might be hooked.

Groovy Granny
January 28th, 2016, 09:47 PM
LOL I understand that feeling...I bought a suave coconut that I am waiting to try, but want to finish what's left in a couple of other bottles :)

missrandie
January 29th, 2016, 09:35 AM
LOL I understand that feeling...I bought a suave coconut that I am waiting to try, but want to finish what's left in a couple of other bottles :)

See, the coconut smelled too strong for me, and the strawberry smelled really artificial. Of course, the Apple does too, but not quite as bad.

I really shouldn't be picky about scents, but cowashing leaves much stronger scent in my hair than s&c. And boy, when Suave says "long lasting fragrance" they aren't kidding!

brickworld13
January 29th, 2016, 09:46 AM
No they are not. My hair smells like Cherry Blossoms and I washed almost a week ago. I'm not even doing CO. I just lurk around here like a creeper.

Akville
January 29th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Hi

I wanted to ask how do you guys use deep treatments and hair masks.. I bought Pantene bla bla bla hair mask and I wonder if I have to wash my hair with shampoo for best results or can I CO wash and then apply the hair mask?

missrandie
January 29th, 2016, 10:14 AM
No they are not. My hair smells like Cherry Blossoms and I washed almost a week ago. I'm not even doing CO. I just lurk around here like a creeper.

Lol creeper. Do the creep!

Akville, I would guess that you would be just fine masking after a cowash, but I will wait for somebody who has been doing this longer than me to give you a definitive answer.

brickworld13
January 29th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Lol creeper. Do the creep!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0

Groovy Granny
January 29th, 2016, 11:43 AM
See, the coconut smelled too strong for me, and the strawberry smelled really artificial. Of course, the Apple does too, but not quite as bad.

I really shouldn't be picky about scents, but cowashing leaves much stronger scent in my hair than s&c. And boy, when Suave says "long lasting fragrance" they aren't kidding!

I am diluting per GRU's tutorial....we'll see :eyebrows: I enjoy a pleasant scent.

I had tried Shea Moisture's Yucca....and it was yucky :puke:
Couldn't get that out of my hair and house fast enough :p

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0

You are more than welcome to 'creep'...but THAT was creepy shudder:

GRU
January 29th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I wanted to ask how do you guys use deep treatments and hair masks.. I bought Pantene bla bla bla hair mask and I wonder if I have to wash my hair with shampoo for best results or can I CO wash and then apply the hair mask?

If you don't have any icky product buildup on your hair, you should be just fine CO-washing.

vpatt
January 29th, 2016, 03:00 PM
I used Treseme Natural this morning. I had to go out so I used the cool setting on the hair dryer and just partially dried near the top of the scalp......no combing and just enough so that it would dry faster. It looked completely different to me, really nice around my face instead of that look that has been puzzling me. Now I wonder if that could be from the dryer, from the Tresemme or maybe my hair is adjusting. I guess time will tell. I will use the Tresemme next time and no dryer and see if I get the same results.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 29th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Just wondering, do you dilute your Co that you use for washing? As if you were diluting shampoo, or do you use it undiluted? And then just CO your ends as usual afterwards?

vpatt
January 29th, 2016, 04:05 PM
I wet my hair and scrub and then add the undiluted conditioner to my hair, scrub, let it sit and then scrub again. Then I rinse. Today I then did another round of conditioner and rinsed. I do wonder if I am rinsing good enough. Am I supposed to be diluting the conditioner? Did I miss that, lol? And I haven't been adding more conditioner to the ends. I may have missed some details even tho I have read over this a lot. I have been having quite a lot of trouble focusing and I catch myself misspelling words quite often, also. It is not a good feeling.

Beborani
January 29th, 2016, 04:42 PM
I posted this in another thread. Let me tweak it a bit with names of conditioner and process for anyone looking for one more successful way to cowash. I have been doing it for 3 years now and 2 years with no shampooing at all. I also henna and indigo about every 6 weeks (just to show how many things I put in my hair) and use heavy silicone serum once in a while. I have not experienced any symptoms of buildup so far. I am confident in this process now to share my method without hesitation--I have several pictures in my blog for proof:).

Oil prewash (coconut/sesame--both or just one depending on what I have at the moment and weather) generously and pull out some sheds (5-7 minutes). Cowash (diluted Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle for scalp and full strength Nourish Spa for length)-- apply, massage for a minute or two, let it soak while doing other things and rinse while pulling out sheds. Applicator bottle tip is genius as it really gets into all parts of the scalp without much effort. Use another conditioner (Loreal Total Repairs)--apply, do some other things in shower and then rinse while detangling. This step takes a bit of time as my hair is slippiest at this point so all sheds need to come out. As it gets longer I linger in this step for 5 to 10 minutes which is longer than a minute or two I used to take upto tailbone length. Once this conditoner is completely rinsed out and hair feels detangled, apply a fourth conditioner (Hello Hydration) and comb it through. Pull out lingering sheds/ broken hair strands. Leave it in. Apply gel, put it up with thin towel for 5 min. Change towel to soak up more and then use dryer for 3 or 4 minutes in 30 second blasts--warm or hot. I am 80 percent dry at this point and let the rest air dry.

When I travel I try to simplify and use only Tea Tree Tingle and Hello Hydration and let them do double duty but prefer my combination that I stumbled into by accident. I shoudd probably stock up for life as none of the usual conditoners like Suave, Tresseme have worked as well for me.

If this helps someone.

PS: all conditioners get applied root to tip--once you have dipped your feet into cowashing I don't see the point in keeping any of them off scalp.

Groovy Granny
January 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Today was CO wash #2....this time it was done right from start to finish.....and I used less products with great results :happydance:

I diluted a couple squirts of conditioner in an 8oz applicator bottle, applied/scrubbed/brushed it through, then let it sit while I shaved.

After I rinsed, I put a small amount of light conditioner on my scalp and kpak from the ears down, then rinsed after a minute.

Again I am finding I have great volume and no frizz; unheard of for shampoo day (usually I don't get sleek until day 2).
Normally even my new scalp growth is untamed...not any more; it lies sleek but has lift.

I am opting to CO on Monday and Friday; by day 4 my scalp is starting to feel 'heavy'...and today I noticed my ends started to get static.
But I went all week with NO OIL :agape:

I am hooked on CO :happydance: and am excited to see how this works on my hair in humid weather with my curl explosions!

Thank you GRU...and all of you for your help :flowers:

GRU
January 29th, 2016, 10:46 PM
I wet my hair and scrub and then add the undiluted conditioner to my hair, scrub, let it sit and then scrub again. Then I rinse. Today I then did another round of conditioner and rinsed. I do wonder if I am rinsing good enough. Am I supposed to be diluting the conditioner? Did I miss that, lol?

Many of us dilute the conditioner, but not everyone does.

I find that I get better application directly to my scalp (which is the part that actually needs the cleansing) with diluted conditioner -- it's easier to spread all around when it's runny versus when it's thick. I also get better sudsing action with diluted conditioner (when you think about it, you don't just put shampoo on your head and expect it to foam up -- you add water from the shower so you get the suds).

I put a couple ounces of conditioner in an 8-oz color applicator bottle (any squeeze bottle will work, even a ketchup or mustard bottle, but I use this one (http://www.sallybeauty.com/graduated-applicator-bottle/SBS-265100,default,pd.html) from Sally's), then I add enough water from the shower to fill the bottle near the top (I leave up to an inch of space to allow for shaking and mixing). I put the top on, cover the tip with my finger, and shake it up.

Then I can apply the conditioner solution all over my scalp (I wet my hair in the shower first) and really saturate the scalp -- I don't have to use TONS of conditioner to make sure I get some on every part of my scalp. I scrub my scalp with my fingertips, and then I brush through with the Tangle Teezer brush. (I add more conditioner to my length if needed, but usually I have enough in the bottle to get my length covered as well.)

I get crazy foaming action with my diluted Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut in conjunction with the Tangle Teezer brush. My hair and scalp get really clean, and I use way less product, too.

GRU
January 29th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I am hooked on CO :happydance: and am excited to see how this works on my hair in humid weather with my curl explosions!

Thank you GRU...and all of you for your help :flowers:

YAY!!!! :cheer:

I'm so glad that it worked so well for you! I know CO doesn't work for absolutely everyone, but for many of us, it's been an absolute Godsend!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 29th, 2016, 10:53 PM
I think I may have to try this at some stage. It's not that I'm not happy with my current routine, but - I'm just - curious ;)

Salwety
January 29th, 2016, 11:27 PM
GRU Thank you for sharing these helpful tips. I followed your method and it is perfect for me :)

I have also noticed something. Almost all my life I have been struggling with split nails. Now I found out that 8 of my finger nails are in perfect condition and the other 2 are growing out the damage. Seems that no shampoo/more conditioner is working for the nails too.

Did anyone noticed a similar effect or another pros to co washing ?

vpatt
January 30th, 2016, 06:09 AM
GRU and Beborani, thank you both so much for more details. I think I will write some of this down to help remember. I have a ketchup container someplace that I will dig out. It makes sense to dilute. I was amazed that diluted shampoo worked. And as stated dilution saves money. And, lol, I have every conditioner mentioned by both of you. How crazy is that?

GG, I'm so glad you are having great results. I am not unhappy with my results, just need to tweak and experiment more......and that is so much fun.

Salwety, I haven't been doing this long enough to notice fingernail changes, but it makes sense.

I have a few essential oils that I am curious about adding to conditioner. That is for the future as I need to get a set routine down first so that I can tell if the essential oils are helpful or not.

I have tried so many things since joining LHC and it is so much fun. I think my biggest challenge is stretching washes due to oil. Possibly that is something I won't be able to do. My main reason is to prevent damage (and of course, it is more convenient IMO). But twice a week with conditioner does not seem damaging to me. So if I am never able to stretch then it is not so bad. When I was young I had to wash every day.

SyllabaryBisque
January 30th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Okay, I've come to this community with nowhere else to turn. I have 2a/M/C/iii hair and have been cowashing for a couple months now. I absolutely LOVE what it has done with my hair. People freak out over my hair all the time now. Unfortunately, I'm having dandruff issues now. I've tried a couple different cowashing conditioners with the same results. Any ideas as to what I can do to help my scalp like cowashing more? I'm currently using As I Am Coconut Cowash and it's the greatest stuff ever.

GRU
January 30th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Okay, I've come to this community with nowhere else to turn. I have 2a/M/C/iii hair and have been cowashing for a couple months now. I absolutely LOVE what it has done with my hair. People freak out over my hair all the time now. Unfortunately, I'm having dandruff issues now. I've tried a couple different cowashing conditioners with the same results. Any ideas as to what I can do to help my scalp like cowashing more? I'm currently using As I Am Coconut Cowash and it's the greatest stuff ever.

Do you brush your scalp with a Tangle Teezer while the conditioner is in your hair?

Have you tried ACV rinses?

Both of those are helpful to me with my scalp issues.

I've also used oil applications -- this Tea Tree blend (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hollywood-Beauty-Tea-Tree-Oil-Skin-and-Scalp-Treatment-2-oz/10313104) is super-affordable at Walmart (and a little goes a LONG way; note that it does contain peanut oil, if there are allergy issues), and it comes right out with CO-washing. Coconut oil also does well on my scalp, and also washes out easily with CO-washing.

Another thing to try is changing your conditioner.... you may love the As I Am, but your scalp may disagree.

vpatt
February 2nd, 2016, 11:13 AM
I used the Tresemme last Friday and I did not need to wash again until this morning. The good thing about that is that yesterday my hair was non oily enough to go out with it down. That was an improvement. Usually the last day or two I can see oil and don't like to leave it down. But today I used the Shimmer Lights conditioner instead of the Tresemme. I was wanting to be sure the color stays good. So I will see how this works. I don't like using the cornstarch any more.....just a mental thing, I would use it if I had too.

I also during the last four days only combed/detangled the length and didn't mess with scalp area. That could have helped with oil. Even looking at it right now ...almost dry....the fringe does not look as clean as it did with the Tresemme. So....hmmmm....

When I say clean I mean that it does not have the separation and lankness that comes with oil for me.

missrandie
February 2nd, 2016, 12:59 PM
I think I have a problem....

I bought another Suave conditioner today. The new 30 oz size cherry blossom :)

Oh, and I noticed that V05 is now going to a 15 oz bottle!

I finally did the whole "dilute, shake, and apply to dry hair" thing. And I finally got the foam!

I think I still like Suave Ocean Breeze better than my Kiwi Lime V05, but not by much.

Next wash, I want to try the Daily Clarifying Suave conditioner. The only difference I could find was that it does not contain propylene glycol, where all my other Suaves do. We shall find out how much difference it makes!

brickworld13
February 2nd, 2016, 01:01 PM
I think I have a problem....

I bought another Suave conditioner today. The new 30 oz size cherry blossom :)

Oh, and I noticed that V05 is now going to a 15 oz bottle!

I finally did the whole "dilute, shake, and apply to dry hair" thing. And I finally got the foam!

I think I still like Suave Ocean Breeze better than my Kiwi Lime V05, but not by much.

Next wash, I want to try the Daily Clarifying Suave conditioner. The only difference I could find was that it does not contain propylene glycol, where all my other Suaves do. We shall find out how much difference it makes!

That cherry blossom conditioner....yeah....I have 4 bottles....

missrandie
February 2nd, 2016, 02:26 PM
That cherry blossom conditioner....yeah....I have 4 bottles....

It smells so good! Especially compared to some of the others. I hope it performs similar to the ones I've already tried.

brickworld13
February 2nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
It smells so good! Especially compared to some of the others. I hope it performs similar to the ones I've already tried.

My hair approves. As our hair types are similar I would expect yours to also be ok with it. I've been using it as a leave in for experiments and it's soooo good.

vpatt
February 2nd, 2016, 03:10 PM
So many people seem to love the Suave conditioners.....I am going to have to try mine.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 03:39 PM

If your scalp protests, it might be something in the routine itself that is faulty and that you need to tweak, or it might be that CO-washing just isn't for you. If GRU's suggestions do nothing for you, then you might have to switch back to using shampoo. I have seborrheic dermatitis (SD) and can't CO-wash for the life of me. My scalp *will* protest. Sometimes you have to listen to your body. It's not about what we want for our hair, it's about what our hair wants. What it wants you give to it. You need to listen and pay close attention. But again, listen to GRU first and see what gives. ;)

winship2
February 3rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
I've been trying CO-washing again the last week, and I'm happy with it so far. My oily scalp is getting clean, and I think it's helping me manage this slow transition I've been having of 1b to possibly 2a. I have one problem-- I can get my scalp and head hair nice and clean and shiny, but I feel like I'm having a harder time getting the (hip) length clean and shiny. I guess I know how to scrub my head, but how to I treat the length the same way without tangling it all up? I think it's more a problem with massaging it into the hair rather than rinsing it out. (Vinegar rinses seem to help with rinsing completely.)

Sorry if the question is phrased badly; I'm in bed with a cold :(

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Well, I got A Tangle Teezer yesterday. The compact version, because Sally's was trying to get rid of one from Christmas for $5 cheaper than the rest. Turns out, I love the darn thing for my scalp. It is great. I even told my husband to use it in the shower to loosen his flakeys up.

Also, though one use does not prove much, I figured out that I can use my protein laden Honest Company conditioner with no ill effect. It did give me slightly wilder hair, but I still got the same amount of slip.

I will be saving my coney Pantene for a little greater length, and only as an end conditioner.

GRU
February 4th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I've been trying CO-washing again the last week, and I'm happy with it so far. My oily scalp is getting clean, and I think it's helping me manage this slow transition I've been having of 1b to possibly 2a. I have one problem-- I can get my scalp and head hair nice and clean and shiny, but I feel like I'm having a harder time getting the (hip) length clean and shiny. I guess I know how to scrub my head, but how to I treat the length the same way without tangling it all up? I think it's more a problem with massaging it into the hair rather than rinsing it out. (Vinegar rinses seem to help with rinsing completely.)

Sorry if the question is phrased badly; I'm in bed with a cold :(

Easiest way I've found to clean the length is to brush through it with conditioner. My Tangle Teezer runs right through and removes tangles while also foaming up the conditioner to lift off any dirt.

Hope you're feeling better!

GRU
February 4th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Well, I got A Tangle Teezer yesterday. The compact version, because Sally's was trying to get rid of one from Christmas for $5 cheaper than the rest. Turns out, I love the darn thing for my scalp. It is great. I even told my husband to use it in the shower to loosen his flakeys up.

Welcome to the TT world!

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the TT world!

Muahahaha they don't call you the Enablinator for nothing! I now wish I had just bit the bullet and gone for the full sized neon pink one. lol.

brickworld13
February 4th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Muahahaha they don't call you the Enablinator for nothing! I now wish I had just bit the bullet and gone for the full sized neon pink one. lol.

You just wait. Soon you will have about 6 of them.

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Oh great. That means that they multiply like ficcares and bicycles.

Btw, have you tried the apple suave? Because I can't stop sniffing my hair when it's down. Hubs caught me and said, "really?"

MandyBeth
February 4th, 2016, 05:54 PM

It works fine for Minion, but I use the coconut once a week for the protein or she'll get snapping in her hair. I also use coconut most days in the last 24" or so because that's the area most prone to breaking without protein.

With Minion, I started with GRU info and went from there. But Minion is into the ultra long hair and her height hasn't caught up to her terminal length, nor have we reached her terminal at 9+" on the floor. It's currently at 6" or so on the floor when wet, don't know pulled straight as we don't bother. Wet, she's a 2b or so So her hair can be extremely fussy. I also wash her hair daily. She doesn't tangle much on a daily basis because her hair clumps and stacks up tightly, but skip a wash and thus removing sheds, and she'll have her hair loc up.

So very basics, just washing related...

Saturate her hair with water - if we don't, her hair will suck up a full 30 oz bottle of conditioner diluted out 1:6. It's the mass of hair.

Use the 1:6 conditioner on her scalp. I apply the conditioner, let it sit for a bit.

Apply the coconut to her ends. Straight, I just mush it in. A family bottle lasts a week. I usually also mush a few spoonfuls up at her nape.

Go back to her scalp, work the dilution in, start with the Tangle Teezer. It foams up like crazy.

Dump more conditioner on her hair. Same dilution, it works fine.

Take section, detangle. I claim it doesn't take really long, maybe 5 minutes a section. But yeah, this isn't fast either. Six sections is our daily usual, on Sundays, I'll do 12 and really get everything lined up right.

Rinse.

Apply second conditioner round, a lot less as we leave this in.

Wrap the mess of hair up carefully to soak up water....

So on, so forth, and turn kid loose.

MandyBeth
February 4th, 2016, 05:58 PM

Only 6?

Erm, I think very seriously, we have around 18 in this house. But of 9 people still at home, my hair at shoulder/collarbone is the shortest. So we kind of need them.

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 06:16 PM
It works fine for Minion, but I use the coconut once a week for the protein or she'll get snapping in her hair. I also use coconut most days in the last 24" or so because that's the area most prone to breaking without protein.

With Minion, I started with GRU info and went from there. But Minion is into the ultra long hair and her height hasn't caught up to her terminal length, nor have we reached her terminal at 9+" on the floor. It's currently at 6" or so on the floor when wet, don't know pulled straight as we don't bother. Wet, she's a 2b or so So her hair can be extremely fussy. I also wash her hair daily. She doesn't tangle much on a daily basis because her hair clumps and stacks up tightly, but skip a wash and thus removing sheds, and she'll have her hair loc up.

So very basics, just washing related...

Saturate her hair with water - if we don't, her hair will suck up a full 30 oz bottle of conditioner diluted out 1:6. It's the mass of hair.

Use the 1:6 conditioner on her scalp. I apply the conditioner, let it sit for a bit.

Apply the coconut to her ends. Straight, I just mush it in. A family bottle lasts a week. I usually also mush a few spoonfuls up at her nape.

Go back to her scalp, work the dilution in, start with the Tangle Teezer. It foams up like crazy.

Dump more conditioner on her hair. Same dilution, it works fine.

Take section, detangle. I claim it doesn't take really long, maybe 5 minutes a section. But yeah, this isn't fast either. Six sections is our daily usual, on Sundays, I'll do 12 and really get everything lined up right.

Rinse.

Apply second conditioner round, a lot less as we leave this in.

Wrap the mess of hair up carefully to soak up water....

So on, so forth, and turn kid loose.

I just gotta say, Minion sounds absolutely awesome.

Also, I can see how hair just sucks up the conditioner now. I have been diluting mine down with 2 oz of conditioner, 4 oz of water, and my hair at CBL sucks it right up. I might have to try it further diluted just for kicks and giggles.

brickworld13
February 4th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Oh great. That means that they multiply like ficcares and bicycles.

Btw, have you tried the apple suave? Because I can't stop sniffing my hair when it's down. Hubs caught me and said, "really?"

I think there's something wrong with my Ficcare. It hasn't multiplied. It's very lonely all by itself.

No, I will have to pop open a bottle next time I'm in the store. I have plenty of conditioner in the house right now so I won't be needing any for a while.

Only 6?

Erm, I think very seriously, we have around 18 in this house. But of 9 people still at home, my hair at shoulder/collarbone is the shortest. So we kind of need them.

I have one for the three cats and then a whole bunch is various ages ones for me. So that's 5 for me and one for the cats. I think that's pretty good considering I live alone.

9 people live in your house?! :agape: I can't even wrap my head around that. The only time I lived with that many people nearby was in the dorms at college. Cooking for a tiny army.

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 06:34 PM
I think there's something wrong with my Ficcare. It hasn't multiplied. It's very lonely all by itself.

No, I will have to pop open a bottle next time I'm in the store. I have plenty of conditioner in the house right now so I won't be needing any for a while.

I have one for the three cats and then a whole bunch is various ages ones for me. So that's 5 for me and one for the cats. I think that's pretty good considering I live alone.

9 people live in your house?! :agape: I can't even wrap my head around that. The only time I lived with that many people nearby was in the dorms at college. Cooking for a tiny army.

So, I'm not the only one who instantly thought that it would be awesome on my cats? lol... I am only partially ashamed to admit that I share my brushes and combs with my Persian. The Siamese doesn't usually get quite the luxury ;)

MandyBeth
February 4th, 2016, 08:39 PM
9 people - 7 kids not yet in college, DH, me.

Was 9 kids, DH, cousin, MIL, me for a long while, plus FIL for visits. I'm used to a huge family, so it's all normal in my world.

And yes, I use the TT on the cats and dogs. Hey, it works and they like it.

Minion is pretty dang awesome, with awesome hair. Thanks to GRU, because it was a horrific disaster a few years ago when she first came to us, and I have straight/wavy hair and knew less than nothing on curly hair. Now I just forget to cut her hair because it goes between classic and mid thigh or so dry. So on the rare days her hair is loose in public, it doesn't look much longer than "very long" socially normal length.

winship2
February 4th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Easiest way I've found to clean the length is to brush through it with conditioner. My Tangle Teezer runs right through and removes tangles while also foaming up the conditioner to lift off any dirt.

Hope you're feeling better!

Thanks, I think this is good advice! Hopefully I'll feel well enough to get up to Sally's tomorrow :)

GRU
February 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Minion is pretty dang awesome, with awesome hair. Thanks to GRU, because it was a horrific disaster a few years ago when she first came to us, and I have straight/wavy hair and knew less than nothing on curly hair.

I will never forget that panicked message.... something along the lines of, "WTF do I do with curly hair??????"

You and Minion have come a LONG way since I talked you down off that ledge! :lol:

MandyBeth
February 5th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Indeed we have. It's been almost 5 years now, it doesn't seem like that long. But it was literally right before my birthday and Easter 2011. And it was a disaster to be nice. Now she's my little Minion who really does have curly hair vs the 2c mess we started at.

winship2
February 7th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Can anyone here recommend a conditioner of the "cheap, thin, runny" kind that does NOT have a fragrance? If there aren't any without fragrance, are there any with relatively subtle fragrances? I'm a little sensitive to smell, and fruity and flowery smells are too much for me. I know V05 and Suave are popular, but they all seem to have strong perfumes to me :(

Thanks!

missrandie
February 7th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Can anyone here recommend a conditioner of the "cheap, thin, runny" kind that does NOT have a fragrance? If there aren't any without fragrance, are there any with relatively subtle fragrances? I'm a little sensitive to smell, and fruity and flowery smells are too much for me. I know V05 and Suave are popular, but they all seem to have strong perfumes to me :(

Thanks!

I know how you feel. As much as I love Suave, the scent is a little overpowering (or a lot overpowering some days). I don't know any off the top of my head that fit the bill, but if I happen to uncover something, I will let you know.

ETA:

Okay, I just did a little digging. If you search "unscented conditioner base" you will get lots of hits on gallon jugs of conditioner, meant to be repackaged with custom scents. However, they can be used as-is. I would go through the lists and see which one has ingredients that match up as closely as possible to the way suave's do (because their list is fairly simple) and go from there. Many of them send samples!

winship2
February 7th, 2016, 11:58 PM
Okay, I just did a little digging. If you search "unscented conditioner base" you will get lots of hits on gallon jugs of conditioner, meant to be repackaged with custom scents. However, they can be used as-is. I would go through the lists and see which one has ingredients that match up as closely as possible to the way suave's do (because their list is fairly simple) and go from there. Many of them send samples!

Oh wow, how kind of you to find this suggestion! I didn't know such a thing was out there. Thank you!

Gaalsong
February 8th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I did my first CO on Saturday, with Aubrey Organics conditioner. I know it's expensive but I had just bought it and suddenly decided to try CO at the same time. My hair looked pretty greasy/wet. I tried to follow everyone's instructions on here, rinse well, etc. I am going to try again on Thursday with a different, more runny conditioner and see if that works. I am only washing once a week, and I'd like to do something in the middle of the week to keep those last few days from being so grungy. Will update after I try the next CO attempt. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open, but I can keep reading through this thread and try the stuff that's already been mentioned...

missrandie
February 8th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Oh wow, how kind of you to find this suggestion! I didn't know such a thing was out there. Thank you!

You are very welcome :) There were a couple that looked promising!

Mitzy
February 8th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I use AO but I thin it out with filtered water first.

missrandie
February 8th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Sigh. I have officially donated my very first Tangle Teezer to my cat, Madison. I got up late today, and she was laying by it and staring at me expectantly. When I picked it up, she flopped down for her daily grooms.

It finally stopped leaking conditioner, so it is no longer trying to condition the cat.

I will have to get myself another TT expressly for me and cowashing.

Gaalsong
February 8th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I use AO but I thin it out with filtered water first.

Thanks! I may try diluting it.

GRU
February 8th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I did my first CO on Saturday, with Aubrey Organics conditioner. I know it's expensive but I had just bought it and suddenly decided to try CO at the same time. My hair looked pretty greasy/wet. I tried to follow everyone's instructions on here, rinse well, etc. I am going to try again on Thursday with a different, more runny conditioner and see if that works. I am only washing once a week, and I'd like to do something in the middle of the week to keep those last few days from being so grungy. Will update after I try the next CO attempt. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open, but I can keep reading through this thread and try the stuff that's already been mentioned...

In addition to diluting the conditioner before washing with it, try combing or brushing your hair while coated in conditioner. The Tangle Teezer works really well for this, if you have one.

purpleelephant
February 8th, 2016, 09:33 PM
I did this for the second time yesterday with TJ's Tea Tree Tingle... and let me just say, It worked really really well! I let it sit for ~45 minutes, hand combed it, and rinsed. My hair isn't greasy or residue-ey at all. As a greasy-haired person, I was prepared for the worst, but I think I can go another 1-2 days without having to wash it. Bonus points for the tea tree oil: I loveeeee the tingling feeling on my scalp, it is supposed to reduce grease production, ANDDD it is actually the second ingredient on the bottle. I'd say, for CO wash, TTT is a win :cheer:

brickworld13
February 9th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Sigh. I have officially donated my very first Tangle Teezer to my cat, Madison. I got up late today, and she was laying by it and staring at me expectantly. When I picked it up, she flopped down for her daily grooms.

It finally stopped leaking conditioner, so it is no longer trying to condition the cat.

I will have to get myself another TT expressly for me and cowashing.

Why is it a problem to condition the cat? :lol:

missrandie
February 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Why is it a problem to condition the cat? :lol:

Lol well, she does best with NW/SO, and the conditioner, while cutting static, was getting stuck in the shed hairs in the TT. Mostly it's because it felt yucky :lol:

Actually, I think cowashing would probably make her look nearly like a show cat. I'm not ready for that :lol:

winship2
February 9th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Lol well, she does best with NW/SO, and the conditioner, while cutting static, was getting stuck in the shed hairs in the TT. Mostly it's because it felt yucky :lol:

Actually, I think cowashing would probably make her look nearly like a show cat. I'm not ready for that :lol:

Love this post ;) I wish I could NW/SO the way my kitties do-- especially the Maine Coon!

Gaalsong
February 9th, 2016, 11:01 AM
In addition to diluting the conditioner before washing with it, try combing or brushing your hair while coated in conditioner. The Tangle Teezer works really well for this, if you have one.

Thanks, GRU. I will try that on Thursday and let you all know how it goes. :)

Salwety
February 9th, 2016, 11:55 PM
Yesterday I had an impulse to buy a lot of conditioners and ended up with Tressume curl hydration, Herbal essences hello hydration , and Vatika deep conditioner .... Yaaaaaaay :joy:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2016, 12:24 AM
I tried COing for the first time today, and while it felt great in the shower, my roots even felt "squeaky" clean, the way I like them (I used diluted conditioner for the roots and full strength from ears down), this evening my roots look piecey and greasy and I am not happy. I'm not sure why that happened, now I want to do a scalp wash but it's almost bed time and I don't know if I can be bothered :(

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Grrr. I just did a scalp wash.

vpatt
February 10th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Sarah, I bet someone more knowledgeable will give you some great advice soon. But from my 1 month experience here goes, lol. In only one month I have bought an over abundance of different conditioners and they are not all created equal. I got the same results as you from some of them. But some of them work very well for me. Tresemme Natural is the best so far. I'm not sure if you have that available. I am hoping that all of them will work better as my scalp adjusts. Maybe another one will be better for you. And I found it works better for me if I wash and rinse twice with emphasis on the rinse. I'm not sure if everyone does that. Good luck!

julee
February 10th, 2016, 05:33 AM
So I tried GRU's tangle teezer trick a couple of times, can't believe I didn't try it till now! My hair feels extra clean, and so far my scalp seems happier too.

Sarah, I bet someone more knowledgeable will give you some great advice soon. But from my 1 month experience here goes, lol. In only one month I have bought an over abundance of different conditioners and they are not all created equal. I got the same results as you from some of them. But some of them work very well for me. Tresemme Natural is the best so far. I'm not sure if you have that available. I am hoping that all of them will work better as my scalp adjusts. Maybe another one will be better for you. And I found it works better for me if I wash and rinse twice with emphasis on the rinse. I'm not sure if everyone does that. Good luck!

So true! I have found the runnier/lighter conditioners to be the best at cleansing, I know there are specific ingredients that cleanse, not exactly sure what they are, I think maybe behentrimonium chloride is one? I'm also a conefree COer, I tried once with cones and my hair was so greasy!

Sarahlabyrinth, I hope you can find a routine or product that works for you :flower:

Gaalsong
February 10th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I tried COing for the first time today, and while it felt great in the shower, my roots even felt "squeaky" clean, the way I like them (I used diluted conditioner for the roots and full strength from ears down), this evening my roots look piecey and greasy and I am not happy. I'm not sure why that happened, now I want to do a scalp wash but it's almost bed time and I don't know if I can be bothered :(

Hey Sarahlabyrinth, I just tried it this week too, with not great results. I had to CWC the day after. I'm going to try diluting the conditioner and also combing my hair in the shower next time while it's covered in the conditioner, as suggested by the ladies on here... we'll see how it goes. Good luck!

missrandie
February 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM

For what it's worth, I have to let my conditioner sit for at least 20 minutes to get everything after I work it in. Usually I let it sit for 30. Then it gets another good work in with the TT on my scalp, and then I rinse like crazy.

The first couple of times I tried cowashing, I didn't let the conditioner sit nearly long enough and while it felt good in the shower, it looked very bad when it dried. I also don't think I rinsed to the extent that I needed to.

GRU
February 10th, 2016, 12:13 PM
So I tried GRU's tangle teezer trick a couple of times, can't believe I didn't try it till now! My hair feels extra clean, and so far my scalp seems happier too.

I'm so glad it worked so well for you!

I get CRAZY amounts of foam when I use it, plus the way it detangles just makes it a win-win for me. Glad you had great results with it, too!

brickworld13
February 10th, 2016, 12:18 PM
You all have reminded me that I should use my TT in the shower more often. I still shampoo because my scalp doesn't like CO, but it's freaking magic for lifting crud off my scalp.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2016, 12:31 PM
For what it's worth, I have to let my conditioner sit for at least 20 minutes to get everything after I work it in. Usually I let it sit for 30. Then it gets another good work in with the TT on my scalp, and then I rinse like crazy.

The first couple of times I tried cowashing, I didn't let the conditioner sit nearly long enough and while it felt good in the shower, it looked very bad when it dried. I also don't think I rinsed to the extent that I needed to.

Let it sit for 20 minutes? I wouldn't have the patience for that. I want to just be able to treat it like shampoo, apply, massage, rinse.... and I thought I rinsed it well. And I refuse to use a TT. And even if I owned one I wouldn't use it on wet hair, maybe CO isn't for me.

missrandie
February 10th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Let it sit for 20 minutes? I wouldn't have the patience for that. I want to just be able to treat it like shampoo, apply, massage, rinse.... and I thought I rinsed it well. And I refuse to use a TT. And even if I owned one I wouldn't use it on wet hair, maybe CO isn't for me.

Fair enough, Sarahlabyrinth :) other more experienced individuals may be able to chime in for the way they do things, and they may be able to help you out, if you choose to try again.

Truth be told, after I put my conditioner in, I slap a shower cap over it and go do something else for the time I let it sit.. Usually housework or brush the cat or vacuum. Because I can't stay in the shower that long.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Fair enough, Sarahlabyrinth :) other more experienced individuals may be able to chime in for the way they do things, and they may be able to help you out, if you choose to try again.

Truth be told, after I put my conditioner in, I slap a shower cap over it and go do something else for the time I let it sit.. Usually housework or brush the cat or vacuum. Because I can't stay in the shower that long.

I couldn't stay in that long either. Thanks for your suggestion. I will see what other suggestions pop up here. I would like for it to work for me, if possible.

Beborani
February 10th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Sarah, I leave it on just enough to wash myself off which is very short time-- even that is not really needed but it is dead time in the shower so why not? I cannot use TT at all wet or dry--it breaks my hair so use just fingers. As someone else pointed out it might be the conditioner--I felt what you describe with Suave but my current routine gives me flawless consistent results so much so that I feel superstitious that I will jinx it somehow. ;)

nyia
February 10th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Hello, I am so glad to see so many new people trying CO washing!

I've been around LHC for about 10 years now, and came aboard when I was looking for a way to deal with tangles after a product that was using was discontinued. I think that conditioner only forum was the first thing that popped up in my search, and I read it all the way through, at the time there were only about 150 posts. I don't post very often anymore, as it's difficult to type, but I'm trying voice to text right now so we'll see what happens.

The method I read about most, at the time, was to use a cheap, thin conditioner to wash with, and use a better conditioner to condition with . I used VO5, for the conditioner wash, and used Aussie moist conditioner for the conditioning part. The first week or so I had a little bit of oiliness at the roots, but that had been something that was discussed so I kinda expected it to happen. In less than two weeks the oiliness stopped and my hair felt great, I could untangle it without a problem, and without adding extra stuff to it. At the time, my hair was past knee length, And the curl started forming more and more as my hair got cleaner and cleaner with the conditioner only method.

I've tried variations on the method, but this is still the one that works the best for me. I've tried other conditioners, and actually found some that I like better for each step, but using two conditioners works really well for me so I'll probably go on doing that. Right now I'm using one of the Suave conditioners as the wash conditioner, and usually Mane'n'Tail as the conditioner conditioner. Just as a sidenote, I've been using Mane'n'Tail products since I was a teenager, one of my friend's mom was a large animal veterinarian and always had it around the house.

I still usually use VO5 or Suave for cleaning, and I use Mane'n'Tail or Aussie or something with proteins and cones in it for conditioning. My hair loves proteins and cones which I know is very different from a lot of people.

I have tried a lot of different methods, including Gru's, Which didn't work for me but I'm totally delighted that it works for other people. I can't use the tangle teaser, it seems to break my hair, so I use what I've always used for detangling, Which is a very wide tooth comb, and a vented dryer brush. While my hair is very curly, it's spirals rather than heavy wavy curls. In fact, if I give it a couple of twists when it's wet, it'll dry in a long banana curl all the way down the front. Pretty weird.

Anyway, that's my method, for what it's worth. If it works for you, hooray! If not, keep trying other things, eventually something will work that you can use as a good healthy routine for your hair. Good luck to all!

Gaalsong
February 12th, 2016, 10:46 AM
So, I started to CO last night but then I chickened out and CWC instead. I have a date tonight and I have to give a presentation at work today, so I was worried I'd be stuck with greasy-looking hair all day if it didn't work out. I'll try again later and report. :cheese:

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
Just popping in to say hello ~

I am now at my goal of hip and have started my monthly micro trims to maintain.

CO is working great for my hair; I am hoping for the same success in humid weather too :cheer:

I have been unwell/offline recently, so even if I don't post...you are all close to my heart :flowers:

Pat Wright
February 23rd, 2016, 11:48 AM

CO is working great for my hair; I am hoping for the same success in humid weather too :cheer:

I have been unwell/offline recently, so even if I don't post...you are all close to my heart :flowers:

Feel better soon. And congrats on that great hair!:cheer:

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2016, 11:50 AM
Thank you :)

Neoma
February 23rd, 2016, 12:35 PM

Hi Groovy Granny :waving:

I'm sorry to hear that you have been unwell. I will you a full and speedy recovery.

I'm glad that you posted to this thread. It's been pretty quiet here lately. And I'm glad to hear that CO is working well for you, too.

I recently started CO'ing again after a long hiatus. I started with a bottle of fragrance-free Wen. I like it and it works well, but I knew from past experience that cheapo conditioners work as well or better -- for a fraction of the price.

I have been avoiding artificial fragrance for quite a while, but I decided to try them again for the sake of being able to use cheapo conditioners. I bought VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea and Strawberries & Cream. I am not crazy about the fragrance of the former, but it's not a deal breaker. The latter smells better to me. I am really loving my CO routine, which gives me super shiny, silky, tangle-free, manageable hair.

* CO with VO5 twice
* Apply Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner, which is loaded with cones
* Rinse

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2016, 12:44 PM
Thank you!

I have been using suave coconut (diluted) to 'shampoo', and then my joico moisture conditioner (rinsed out after sitting a few minutes).

Just a few drops of mineral oil to damp hair and I have been static free...soft and sleek(er) :joy:

I never would have thought this would work...and fought trying it for a long time :o

Thanks again GRU :flowers:

Take care Neoma ((((Hugs)))

missrandie
February 23rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
I love my version of cowashing, but when I have to be fast, it's too much. My hair just doesn't respond the same if I don't let my conditioner sit for at least 20 minutes. If I try to hurry it, I get the greases.

This weekend I did a regular S&C and my hair was so unhappy! It all felt dry and straw like, and when the greasies finally came (4 days later) they were waxy greasies.

However, I got less hair coming out with regular S&C.

The verdict? Cowash still wins.

school of fish
February 23rd, 2016, 01:10 PM
I couldn't stay in that long either. Thanks for your suggestion. I will see what other suggestions pop up here. I would like for it to work for me, if possible.

Sarahlabyrinth, I suspect I may be in that funny minority group of CO washers who has success with it but only if I break most the conventional CO rules, haha! Actually what I do is something I call a modified CO routine, which addresses my hair's rather passive aggressive personality ;)

Contrary to the what many others suggest, I actually find that the thicker the conditioner, the better. Diluting conditioner has NOT worked for me, nor has using runnier-textured conditioners. I really don't know why, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because my hair is so sleek and slippy that it needs a thicker conditioner just to stay in place long enough to do the job of cleansing - the thinner the texture, the more likely it is to just slide off the ends and down the drain.

Also against much of the conventional wisdom, my conditioner has cones. Strangely enough, conditioners with light cones rinse more cleanly for me than cone-free conditioners. In fact, the ones with ingredient lists supposedly most suitable for CO washing are the ones least likely to rinse out properly for me. Weird. Again, my hair's 'personality'.

I also don't go through the buckets of conditioner that many seem to - I use a marshmallow-sized dollop and that saturates my hair from root to tip on my 36" length. It goes on after I've wet my hair in the shower (I'm a daily morning washer) and only stays on long enough for me to complete my showerly duties and then off it rinses. It takes no extra time than standard S&C. I actually don't have room in my life for anything that takes longer than standard S&C, so no pre-soaks for me :)

Speaking of S&C, I still do this too, which is mostly where the 'modified' part of my CO routine comes into play. My hair is the type that truly likes nothing left on it at all - no leave-ins, no oils, no serums, and no sebum - any and all of these things build up very quickly on me. I've had to retain a twice a week shampoo in my routine to guard against build-up, every remaining day is CO. For me it strikes the perfect balance of moisture and 'non-build-up', which I haven't been able to achieve using any other method. So for someone who used to shampoo/condition 7 days a week, I feel stretching the shampoo washes to 2 days a week is a far sight better for moisture retention ;)

Certainly I don't feel my hair is representative of the classic CO routine, but my modifications have made it so that I feel like I can reap the benefits of CO washing while still respecting what my hair requires (ahem... demands). I guess I just wanted to post my individualized routine as an example of how you can use elements of a system to your benefit, even if the entirety of the system doesn't quite fit :)

GRU
February 23rd, 2016, 04:27 PM
I never would have thought this would work...and fought trying it for a long time :o

Thanks again GRU :flowers:

I wonder exactly how many times I've said, "I told you so!!!!" in this thread? :lol:

I'm so glad it's working out so well for you, GG, and I hope you're feeling better!

I guess I just wanted to post my individualized routine as an example of how you can use elements of a system to your benefit, even if the entirety of the system doesn't quite fit :)

I've said this time and time again, on this thread and many others on LHC -- every head of hair is unique, and it's all about trial and error to find out what YOUR hair likes and needs, which may not be what anyone else's hair likes and needs!

Unfortunately, there is no one Holy Grail product or method that works wonderfully for everyone... but fortunately, there are the wonderful people of LHC who are willing to share what works for them in the hopes that it can also work for someone else!

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2016, 04:49 PM
I wonder exactly how many times I've said, "I told you so!!!!" in this thread? :lol:

I'm so glad it's working out so well for you, GG, and I hope you're feeling better!

I've said this time and time again, on this thread and many others on LHC -- every head of hair is unique, and it's all about trial and error to find out what YOUR hair likes and needs, which may not be what anyone else's hair likes and needs!

Unfortunately, there is no one Holy Grail product or method that works wonderfully for everyone... but fortunately, there are the wonderful people of LHC who are willing to share what works for them in the hopes that it can also work for someone else!

LOL you just wouldn't 'think' it would work....and heck....back in the 60's I was part of the squeaky clean Breck Shampoo generation :p

So to have this option to eliminate the static.... and hopefully the frizz while conditioning your hair, with an occasional drop of shampoo to clarify....AWESOME :cheer:

And thank you, I am much better today :)

What I had to learn coming here was 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' lol

There was so much info and options to draw from, it was overwhelming.

But if your hair is happy...LEAVE IT ALONE.....if it isn't, then try...whatever.

Less is more and the gentler the better....with small changes. :thumbsup:

winship2
February 23rd, 2016, 05:33 PM
School of Fish, I won't quote your (wonderfully) long post, but thank you so much for reminding us that many of us will need tweaks, sometimes significant ones, to make a certain method work, and thanks for the detail you shared about yours. I also do a light shampoo once a week or so.

school of fish
February 23rd, 2016, 05:39 PM

Absolutely!!! Actually, even though this is my first time posting in this thread I've read the entire thing throughout the years, and GRU it's been your solid advice and guidance to so many throughout the years that got me to try CO in the first place :D You have most definitely always acknowledged that there's no one-size-fits-all when it comes to hair, and I'm totally on board with that too :)

As far as finding my own variation, it was luxepiggy that twigged me to some of the alternatives I found successful (goes back a few years now!). My hair seems to behave a whole lot like hers did, so she was my go-to for products and methods to try, and I tweaked from there :)

Pat Wright
February 24th, 2016, 06:25 AM
LOL you just wouldn't 'think' it would work....and heck....back in the 60's I was part of the squeaky clean Breck Shampoo generation :p

So to have this option to eliminate the static.... and hopefully the frizz while conditioning your hair, with an occasional drop of shampoo to clarify....AWESOME :cheer:

And thank you, I am much better today :)

What I had to learn coming here was 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' lol

There was so much info and options to draw from, it was overwhelming.

But if your hair is happy...LEAVE IT ALONE.....if it isn't, then try...whatever.

Less is more and the gentler the better....with small changes. :thumbsup:

Oh boy! Do I remember Breck!

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Oh boy! Do I remember Breck!
Yup...I can still see the bottle and smell it ;)

You SLATHERED it on and worked it into a huge head of bubbles....TWICE....with no conditioner after :shudder:

Yet my WL hair was fine with it....must have been the resilience of my 'youth' LOL

ko6kin
February 24th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Well, i co-wash my hair for more than 4 years and never looked back
I've started with commercial conditioners, but as they almost all have silicones in them i've started to make my own which i can make in different way, depending on the condition of my hair. I do have clarifying wash once in 2 weeks or so to remove build ups with my own shampoo, again without silicones.
I have to say my hair never been better since i've started to co-wash, considering that i also dye it blonde.

lillielil
February 25th, 2016, 07:53 AM
For me, CO-washing is always good but not great. I go back to it when I am not happy with my S/C, which is right now. I use whatever cheap conditioner is currently in my shower as a first C (I usually CWC or CWCC) and typically do not follow with a richer conditioner. This morning I tried Suave Waterfall Mist. I haven't CO'd with this particular version before, and have to say I was not crazy about it. It took more conditioner than I am used to and more massaging. I find that CO washing really does a good job removing oil from my hair so it feels very clean and fluffy at first. However, I think my scalp likes to compensate by getting oily faster, so it isn't perfect for every wash for me.

missrandie
February 25th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Finally decided to try Mane n Tail conditioner again, this time with my method of COing.

It worked well, and I can definitely feel the difference in my hair with protein versus without. My hair has more body, less extreme slip, and seems to be happier. I will work it into my regular rotation.

Neoma
February 25th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Finally decided to try Mane n Tail conditioner again, this time with my method of COing.

It worked well, and I can definitely feel the difference in my hair with protein versus without. My hair has more body, less extreme slip, and seems to be happier. I will work it into my regular rotation.

That's great news, missrandie! :flowers:

lillielil
February 25th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Well this was a good reminder of why I don't CO more often. Washed at 7:00 this morning. Oil slick at 4:45 in the afternoon after just sitting at my desk with my hair in a bun all day. I don't understand why this happens.

Jupiter Jones
February 27th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Super interesting thread; been reading through it for the past few days. I want to try CO as well now, but I do have a few questions which I couldn't answer myself completely via the posts. (COing really means just conditioning, and shampoo/rinses only for clarifying, right?)

Is it advisable to combine COing with ROO? Or would that be too heavy? I'd really like to continue this method, it's been working well for me.

A lot of you have talked about a vinegar rinse to clarify; is that recommendablr for fine hair? Can I do a rinse right before washing?

Thanks!!:)

missrandie
February 27th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Super interesting thread; been reading through it for the past few days. I want to try CO as well now, but I do have a few questions which I couldn't answer myself completely via the posts. (COing really means just conditioning, and shampoo/rinses only for clarifying, right?)

Is it advisable to combine COing with ROO? Or would that be too heavy? I'd really like to continue this method, it's been working well for me.

A lot of you have talked about a vinegar rinse to clarify; is that recommendablr for fine hair? Can I do a rinse right before washing?

Thanks!!:)

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that I CO and ROO with no ill effects. It keeps my hair nice and happy.

vpatt
February 27th, 2016, 07:59 AM
I'm still hanging in with CO. Sometimes I can get by with twice a week and sometimes its three washes in a week. I do like my hair with this method. I am wondering about clarifying on occasion, but when my daughter did that she said it took a while for her hair to recover from the shampoo.

I wonder:
Do most of you use the same conditioner on a regular basis or do you rotate?
Do you use a vinegar rinse after washing every time or just occasionally or at all?
Do you leave the conditioner on for a few minutes for conditioning or is it to help break up scalp oil?

I tried partially drying my hair this morning on cool setting. I somehow had a few hairs sucked into the back of the dryer and had to break them to get loose. I never had that happen before even when I had long hair and dried my hair after every wash. I know that has nothing to do with CO, but it just happened and I can't believe it.

Oh, I meant to ask, will clarifying conditioners actually clarify? Well I don't see why they would be called that if they wont, but I don't hear anyone say they clarify with them. Or maybe they help hair recover from the clarifying shampoo?

missrandie
February 27th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I personally think that the clarifying conditioners are just lighter weight. But that's just me.

Salwety
February 27th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Jupiter jones of coarse you can combine CO and ROO if your hair likes it. As GRU always says every hair has its own needs. Personally I have been pre oiling, and the conditioner gets the excess oil perfectly.
I am not an expert in the vinegar rinse, but what I know is that it is used as a final rinse to extra condition the hair and add shine to it, and as aan extra benefit it can prevent build up to some extent if ised reguraly ... again I am not an expert in the field.
Vpatt clarifying is only needed when you feel like your hair has build up that cannot be handled by conditioners. Some clarify once every two weeks, others every month, or three month, others can go a whole year without the need of clarifying. So go with the feeling of your hair. Also the ingredients of the conditioner you are using has to ddo with the frequency of clarifying, if it is loaded with silicons you might need to claarify more often.

Regarding rotating the conditioners, I am still new and want to experiment and know what product my hair will like over others. So I give each one a month or more to know its effect.
And sorry for your acccident

Groovy Granny
February 27th, 2016, 08:58 PM
(COing really means just conditioning, and shampoo/rinses only for clarifying, right?)

CO = diluted conditioner for a 'shampoo', then a second application of a conditioner rinsed out.
The first is best if it is thinner/runnier; the second heavier.

When I do shampoo to clarify I only use a drop or two of silver,regular, or clarifying, added to the diluted conditioner.

I have done ROO and oil applied to damp hair; both work fine for me (I use mineral oil).

For my second application I use a thin conditioner for my entire head (first on my ends then a wee bit on the scalp), then I add a heavier one on the ends (ears down).
I let it sit while I shower, then I rinse it out.
After being up in a turban for 20 min, I part my hair in half to the front and add 3 drops of mineral oil on each side (ears down).

I have never done a vinegar rinse.

As mentioned....each person's hair has different needs; experiment to see what is best for yours.

I'm still hanging in with CO. Sometimes I can get by with twice a week and sometimes its three washes in a week. I do like my hair with this method. I am wondering about clarifying on occasion, but when my daughter did that she said it took a while for her hair to recover from the shampoo.

I wonder:
Do most of you use the same conditioner on a regular basis or do you rotate?
Do you use a vinegar rinse after washing every time or just occasionally or at all?
Do you leave the conditioner on for a few minutes for conditioning or is it to help break up scalp oil?

I tried partially drying my hair this morning on cool setting. I somehow had a few hairs sucked into the back of the dryer and had to break them to get loose. I never had that happen before even when I had long hair and dried my hair after every wash. I know that has nothing to do with CO, but it just happened and I can't believe it.

Oh, I meant to ask, will clarifying conditioners actually clarify? Well I don't see why they would be called that if they wont, but I don't hear anyone say they clarify with them. Or maybe they help hair recover from the clarifying shampoo?

I don't have any ill effects from a clarifying shampoo, but I use a drop or two at most added to the diluted conditioner.

I shampoo every 3-4 days; I tried stretching it to once a week and could do it, but my scalp starts to feel and look heavy, and I don't care for that.

I have never done a vinegar rinse.

I do rotate conditioners; I have a silver one, a suave, Joico moisture and K Pak for heavier treatments.
It depends on what your hair needs; mine needs lots of moisture for dryness in Winter and to tame frizz in the Summer.

I massage my conditioner in to clean my scalp, run my TT through my hair, and then rinse.

The second application sits while I shower; the lighter one on the ends, with a wee bit on my scalp; and add heavier one on the ends as well....rinse.

Oh that hurts to have a hair sucked into the dryer; I did that last month!
I have to be very careful now with my length when I invert my head to get to the scalp.
I hate a damp scalp in the Winter, so I only do it a few minutes.... warm to cool on my scalp; the ends dry on their own.
In the Summer I air dry unless I have no time; then I just do my scalp with a diffuser to protect the curl and cut frizz.

I have never tried a clarifying conditioner; I prefer a drop or two of silver/regular, or clarifying shampoo with a diluted conditioner.
Then I use a heavier conditioner for the second application and let it sit a few minutes.

vpatt
February 28th, 2016, 04:38 AM
I tried the shimmer lights conditioner and it really made my hair limp and heavy looking, but I will try using it first (someday) and then clean with a second conditioner and see how that works. Or I could just do what you said GG and add a bit of silver shampoo to my conditioner. I'm thinking of adding some essential oil to my conditioner for fragrance.......maybe.

Thanks, everyone. I was just curious about other routines.

missrandie
February 28th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Well, I am happy to say that with Mane N Tail, I was able to stretch from an every other day wash to one more day before my hair got greasy! That is a definite plus, even though my hair felt a bit drier starting off. I will have to rotate around again, then try MnT again to see if I get repeatable results :) this is good!

I actually enjoy my every other day wash right now, but sometimes we go away for the weekend and I don't want to take the time to cowash on our 3 day trips.

Groovy Granny
February 28th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I tried the shimmer lights conditioner and it really made my hair limp and heavy looking, but I will try using it first (someday) and then clean with a second conditioner and see how that works. Or I could just do what you said GG and add a bit of silver shampoo to my conditioner. I'm thinking of adding some essential oil to my conditioner for fragrance.......maybe.

Thanks, everyone. I was just curious about other routines.

I haven't used that one in many years.
Right now I have the Pantene Silver S&C.

In fact that reminds me to check the new grocery store we use; I think I saw Jhirmack Silver Shampoo there....and I forgot to see about the conditioner.
I had been buying my S&Cs from Amazon stores.

Everyone is so different.....my head alone has 2 textures with my fine silver and medium darker hair that is left.

Soullurre
March 5th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Which ones of these is better for co-washing?

Free and Clear Conditioner:
Ingredients

Purified Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Hydrogenated Polydecene , 1,3 Propanediol , Distearoylethyl Dimonium Chloride , Glycerin , Ceteareth 20 , Panthenol , Arginine , Caprylyl Glycol

Mill Creek Aloe Vera Conditioner:

Deionized water, organic aloe vera gel, panthenol (provitamin B5) chamomile extract, barley extract, stearalkonium chloride (fiber base content), cetyl alcohol, octyl dimethyl PABA, tocopherol (vitamin E), retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), citric acid, disodium EDTA, corn oil, organic essential oil, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, botanical fragrance.

vpatt
March 5th, 2016, 08:47 PM
In Wal-Mart the other day I was looking at the Suave Naturals and there were just a few. There were more Suave Essentials that I had not noticed before.. Are they changing the name, I wonder? Or maybe I just hadn't noticed the different line.

Larki
March 5th, 2016, 10:38 PM
My hair appears to love all products equally, from oils to conditioners to deep treatments. I switch between coney and cone-free for co-washing, occasionally throwing in some shampoo (like once or twice a month). There's no difference! Haven't met a conditioner yet that I didn't like - except one leave-in that made my hair dry and crunchy.

Inga-Marjukka
March 6th, 2016, 05:46 AM
I've been CO-washing again now for about two weeks. I caught myself using shampoo every single time I washed and realised it's time to be gentle again. I don't know how this will go in the long run (as my last experiment didn't last long enough to see long term results), but I'm giving it a go again anyway. So far so good, better than ever actually! I'm using TRESemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish conditioner that actually says that it's mildly cleansing. Never come across that before on a bottle of conditioner. It's also cone and paraben free.

It's been really good so far, and as a coconut lover the smell of it is so good I wish I could stay in the shower for hours on end.

The ingredients are as follows:
Water (Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Soullurre
March 8th, 2016, 08:31 AM
My hair appears to love all products equally, from oils to conditioners to deep treatments. I switch between coney and cone-free for co-washing, occasionally throwing in some shampoo (like once or twice a month). There's no difference! Haven't met a conditioner yet that I didn't like - except one leave-in that made my hair dry and crunchy.

I noticed that leave-in's tend to be terrible and rinse outs work better as leave-ins. It's weird how that works.

vpatt
March 8th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I've been CO-washing again now for about two weeks. I caught myself using shampoo every single time I washed and realised it's time to be gentle again. I don't know how this will go in the long run (as my last experiment didn't last long enough to see long term results), but I'm giving it a go again anyway. So far so good, better than ever actually! I'm using TRESemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish conditioner that actually says that it's mildly cleansing. Never come across that before on a bottle of conditioner. It's also cone and paraben free.

It's been really good so far, and as a coconut lover the smell of it is so good I wish I could stay in the shower for hours on end.

The ingredients are as follows:
Water (Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

I had to buy this and just used it and I LOVE the fragrance. I didn't see where it said it is cleansing, but I am not always observant. Lol

Salwety
March 9th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Hi Soullurre, I am a 3b too and also likes to leave-in the rinse outs. I think it has to do with the more curl texture we have, we need heavier products to hold our hair and privent frizz and loosing hair definition. The leave ins are lighter and contains more water.

Bubble_Curl
March 9th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Has anyone run into any problems with As I Am Coconut Cowash? I notice it has a quat in it and I am trying to see if that will cause buildup issues for me... :-/

Soullurre
March 10th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Hi Soullurre, I am a 3b too and also likes to leave-in the rinse outs. I think it has to do with the more curl texture we have, we need heavier products to hold our hair and privent frizz and loosing hair definition. The leave ins are lighter and contains more water.

Exactly! It's funny, isn't it.

vpatt
March 10th, 2016, 05:20 AM
Has anyone run into any problems with As I Am Coconut Cowash? I notice it has a quat in it and I am trying to see if that will cause buildup issues for me... :-/

I have used this more than any other conditioner so far (I've only been co washing a couple of months). I really like it. My hair is very fine and I have an oily scalp so no matter what I use (cowash products or shampoos) I need to wash at least twice per week. I am hoping to be able to stretch washes eventually but that has not happened yet. Doesn't the As I Am smell yummy? I did try Shea Moisture Co Wash and it did not do well on my hair. So I am using it to make deep conditioner.

Bubble_Curl
March 10th, 2016, 11:13 AM
I have used this more than any other conditioner so far (I've only been co washing a couple of months). I really like it. My hair is very fine and I have an oily scalp so no matter what I use (cowash products or shampoos) I need to wash at least twice per week. I am hoping to be able to stretch washes eventually but that has not happened yet. Doesn't the As I Am smell yummy? I did try Shea Moisture Co Wash and it did not do well on my hair. So I am using it to make deep conditioner.

Thanks for your feedback, vpatt... I am a finey too and I think Shea Moisture tends to overwhelm fine hair :p I do love the As I Am fragrance a loooooot and it's one of the reasons I want it to work out with my hair. I think it might be giving me buildup though and I can't seem to shake it :( I also tend to wash twice a week most weeks. I'd love to hear how it goes with your SM deep conditioner!

rosalinda
March 10th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Anyone notice that the formula for Alberto Balsam has changed, in the UK at least? That was my go-to cheap and effective CO wash conditioner. Now it contains cones. Anyone recommend any good ones in the UK?

rosey4exclaim
March 12th, 2016, 05:50 PM
So I had a hellish experience with a clarifying shampoo a couple weeks ago (in the future, it will be known as the Clarifying Incident of 2016), which dried out my scalp and hair like crazy. My scalp was soooooo itchy. I couldn't stand it! I've been co-washing since the incident (with just one shampoo after an oily hair mask), and it's been working wonders. (Also, I used some aloe gel with a few drops of tea tree and rosemary oils before or after my co washes, and that's helped.)

Anyway, I've been liking the co-washing so much, I think I've converted! I also think I've bought more conditioner in the last week than I have in my whole life. I want to try everything! lol. I really like Hair Food's sulfate-free cleansing conditioner, but it's $10 a bottle, so I bought some White Rain and VO5 (and Not Your Mother's cleansing conditioner, which isn't much cheaper than Hair Food, but I like their other products). So yeah. I need to stop buying things because I only wash my hair twice a week. xD I have enough conditioner to last me several months.

Neoma
March 12th, 2016, 08:22 PM
So I had a hellish experience with a clarifying shampoo a couple weeks ago (in the future, it will be known as the Clarifying Incident of 2016), which dried out my scalp and hair like crazy. My scalp was soooooo itchy. I couldn't stand it! I've been co-washing since the incident (with just one shampoo after an oily hair mask), and it's been working wonders. (Also, I used some aloe gel with a few drops of tea tree and rosemary oils before or after my co washes, and that's helped.)

Anyway, I've been liking the co-washing so much, I think I've converted! I also think I've bought more conditioner in the last week than I have in my whole life. I want to try everything! lol. I really like Hair Food's sulfate-free cleansing conditioner, but it's $10 a bottle, so I bought some White Rain and VO5 (and Not Your Mother's cleansing conditioner, which isn't much cheaper than Hair Food, but I like their other products). So yeah. I need to stop buying things because I only wash my hair twice a week. xD I have enough conditioner to last me several months.

rosey4exclaim, I'm glad to hear that CO'ing has helped to restore your hair to health after the clarifying incident.

I hear you about buying conditioners... I have seven bottles of VO5, not including the conditioner that's open in the bathroom. Unless I catch a great sale, I can stop hoarding.

Salwety
March 13th, 2016, 06:53 AM
rosey4exclaim, starting to co wash was the best thing I haave ever done to my hair, and I can see what you are going through buying lots of conditioners. I have been through this for 4 month and still can't stop. I became obsessed :)

lithostoic
March 14th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Yesterday I used cleansing conditioner and I liked it. I didn't follow the directions (lol) so today my hair was a bit oily, and I used tresseme moisturizing conditioner all over. It felt clean when I rinsed it out. Did a lot of rinsing lol.

Hopefully my hair doesn't look greasy when it dries! I've styled it wavy today so I scrunched a lighter conditioner into damp ends so they don't look frizzy.

Edit: here it is combed out at 8 hours later. Looks a tad oily but most of that is just separation due to my texture. It feels clean.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WsUgcVq-qVU/VuddWtzUPUI/AAAAAAAABIw/RJY9cOyN41ciuziRvH1FTmmvsUH3XN4pA/w325-h577-no/16%2B-%2B1

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Over the past few months since trying this method, I have find that my hair does best with twice weekly shampoos.

I now add 1-2 tiny squirts of shampoo and a large pump of conditioner (diluted in an 8 oz bottle) for my scalp; the ends have a pump of conditioner to shampoo.

The 2nd application is conditioner; full strength on my ends and a tiny bit on my scalp hair....rinsed well, followed by 4 drops mineral oil on damp hair.

I chelate and clarify quarterly with seasonal changes using the same method but use K Pak conditioner for the 2nd application.

Stretching washes to a week wasn't making me happy; I like some fluff and didn't like the heavy scalp feel, even though it looked fine.

The bottom line is I am using only a tiny bit of shampoo and more conditioner = no frizz :joy:

Bubble_Curl
March 19th, 2016, 01:07 PM
It sounds like you figured out a routine that works nicely for you and makes your hair happy, Groovy Granny. That's the thing that matters and it's always different for every head of hair. Mine also likes two washes a week... the occasional week will be okay for one wash only. And I like that you dilute your shampoo in with your conditioner for your wash. I hadn't thought about something like that but I may try it, thanks for posting that idea!

vpatt
March 19th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I actually went a week this time, but I'm not sure I like it either. It could get better over time, who knows?

Groovy Granny
March 19th, 2016, 01:48 PM
It sounds like you figured out a routine that works nicely for you and makes your hair happy, Groovy Granny. That's the thing that matters and it's always different for every head of hair. Mine also likes two washes a week... the occasional week will be okay for one wash only. And I like that you dilute your shampoo in with your conditioner for your wash. I hadn't thought about something like that but I may try it, thanks for posting that idea!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it :o
Gru and some others have mentioned it, and I thought it made a great compromise.

Just a bit of shampoo and extra conditioner accomplishes the scalp cleansing my hair loves....with a little extra conditioning to counteract dryness.
It was a WIN-WIN for me :thumbsup:
Then I switch it up with a bit heavier products (Kpak/silver) when I use Joico clarifying/chelating or my silver shampoos, because they are more drying.

I owe it all to you lovely ladies; it's been the best 2+ 'hair years' of my 64+ years :flowers:

Bubble_Curl
March 19th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Very nice, this is a great example of why the community is wonderful. I am a newer member as of this month but lurked for a few years enough to concur... Thank you to all the wonderful longhairs for passing down the tried and true wisdom! :p

Groovy Granny
March 19th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Very nice, this is a great example of why the community is wonderful. I am a newer member as of this month but lurked for a few years enough to concur... Thank you to all the wonderful longhairs for passing down the tried and true wisdom! :p

We are glad you joined us :)

Yes, it is a wealth of info here!

Bubble_Curl
March 20th, 2016, 09:37 AM
:happydance::blossom::disco::joy::hifive::crush::h eartbeat

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2016, 10:12 AM
:happydance::blossom::disco::joy::hifive::crush::h eartbeat
LOL your post made me smile :D

I love your profile pic!
When the monarch caterpillars find there way to my yard and I have milkweed to feed them, I love to shelter them as they transform.
It is such a miraculous and amazing process to witness if you can :thumbsup:

Bubble_Curl
March 21st, 2016, 05:21 AM
LOL your post made me smile :D

I love your profile pic!
When the monarch caterpillars find there way to my yard and I have milkweed to feed them, I love to shelter them as they transform.
It is such a miraculous and amazing process to witness if you can :thumbsup:

Oh my gosh, that must be such an incredible thing to witness and be a part of! Wow, how lovely! And they are lucky to have your milkweed and shelter during such an amazing but vulnerable period for them :heartbeat

Thank you for the compliment :D Something about that process always stood out to me... :o

sillyme
March 25th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I'm back to this board after taking a break from CO for a while. I wanted to post my problem, hoping someone could tell me what's going on and what I can do about it. I loved CO at first. My hair looked and felt great. I'm a daily shampooer because my collar-bone length hair goes flat and a little greasy if I don't shampoo or CO or do "something" to it every day. But after CO for a while, my hair became brittle, with individual hairs snapping off very easily. I thought maybe my hair had gotten too moisturized. Is that possible? :confused: Anyway, I went back to daily S + C and it fixed the brittle hair problem and it even looked okay at first but now it's become very dry and has tons of flyaways no matter what shampoo/conditioner I use. Oils and serums haven't helped with this problem either. So, here I am again.

While CO, my hair was happiest with Suave Naturals, Juicy Green Apple and Sun-ripened Strawberry being my favorites. I tried a few conditioners with cones, but they were too heavy for my hair. I also tried VO5 Blackberry and Sage Tea conditioner but it left my hair too dry.

I like the idea of School of Fish's "modified CO method" of CO five times a week and S + C two times a week. Thank you, School of Fish! :D I plan to try that out to see if I can get back into CO without the brittleness. If anyone has any ideas or tips for my brittle hair problem I would sure love to hear them. I would love to come back to CO, even if I have to modify it some way. Thanks ya'll!!!

school of fish
March 25th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks sillyme :D Just want to underscore that the 5-to-2 day weekly schedule is what I settled on after a fair bit of trial-and-error - it happens to be a good ratio for me but it's not some magic formula or anything ;) You may find that for example an every-other-day thing or a once-a-week thing might be better for you... start with what feels right to you instinctively and take it from there :)

As to your breakage issue more specifically - this is a bit OT but have you tried clarifying recently? It's a popular suggestion on this board as a first response when hair seems to go awry for no immediately discernable reason. It worked for me when I was in my experimenting phase and working on nailing down my haircare routine. As with all things hair, it's not a silver bullet or even necessary for everyone, but I feel it's a good option to choose to 'reset' your hair before trying a new experiment. If you do a site search you'll find plenty of clarifying threads :)

Another thing - can you see any patterns in ingredients across the products you've found more successful? The ones you've found unsuccessful? Sometimes a particular ingredient or type of ingredient can make a big difference for you one way or another, and noticing patterns can help guide you in searching for new products to try.

Best of luck! Hope others can weigh in and offer up some suggestions you find helpful too! :D

sillyme
March 25th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Thanks sillyme :D Just want to underscore that the 5-to-2 day weekly schedule is what I settled on after a fair bit of trial-and-error - it happens to be a good ratio for me but it's not some magic formula or anything ;) You may find that for example an every-other-day thing or a once-a-week thing might be better for you... start with what feels right to you instinctively and take it from there :)

As to your breakage issue more specifically - this is a bit OT but have you tried clarifying recently? It's a popular suggestion on this board as a first response when hair seems to go awry for no immediately discernable reason. It worked for me when I was in my experimenting phase and working on nailing down my haircare routine. As with all things hair, it's not a silver bullet or even necessary for everyone, but I feel it's a good option to choose to 'reset' your hair before trying a new experiment. If you do a site search you'll find plenty of clarifying threads :)

Another thing - can you see any patterns in ingredients across the products you've found more successful? The ones you've found unsuccessful? Sometimes a particular ingredient or type of ingredient can make a big difference for you one way or another, and noticing patterns can help guide you in searching for new products to try.

Best of luck! Hope others can weigh in and offer up some suggestions you find helpful too! :D

Thank you so much for your help. :) I was CO for about 2 months and I kept a hair diary while doing so. I can look back at the conditioners I used during the time and where I started having trouble with the brittleness. I just really didn't know how to fix it. I'm thinking your suggestion of clarifying might have done the trick. But instead of clarifying, after my hair started snapping off, I ran back to my sulfate shampoo and coney conditioner. But my hair went right back to dry ends, greasy roots, and flyaways after returning to that. So, I'm going back to CO now, armed with this new information and try to clarify when/if my hair starts to get brittle again.

So, here's another question, this time about clarifying. Since I've been using sulfate shampoos and coney conditioners the past 1 1/2 months, would I still need to clarify before I go back to CO? I shampooed and conditioned my hair with Herbal Essences Body Envy this morning, so would I need to clarify before trying my CO routine tomorrow? I know, I know, I'm over-thinking this aren't I? I would just love to get back on track with CO and find a routine that works for me.

Thanks a lot, School of Fish! And, if anyone else has tips for me, please feel free to chime in. :)

Groovy Granny
March 25th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I am no hair guru....this is just what I do :)

I use sulfates and cones (S&C)and clarify on a regular basis.
An all conditioner routine was too heavy for my fine silver; it got greasy and lank.

I do a modified CO....drop of shampoo (Joico Moisture) with a squirt of conditioner (Joico Moisture) diluted to my scalp with conditioner on my ends...rinse.
Second conditioner (Joico Moisture) all over....focus on ends with a wee bit on scalp and rinse.
4 drops of Mineral oil on damp hair.

I use Joico to chelate and clarify every 4 months with the KPak conditioner
Neutrogena (milder) to clarify once a month and KPak
Silver shampoo (brightens/clarifies) once a month; regular conditioner

I don't get a ton of build up this way and my ends are moisturized and feel great....which is a relief because my silver is very fine!
If mine became brittle like yours .... :tmi:....I hate to think of what would happen!

I think I have found the perfect balance ~ my hair seems happy.

Hope you find your holy grail products for a happier you/hair :flower:

sillyme
March 25th, 2016, 02:52 PM
I am no hair guru....this is just what I do :)

I use sulfates and cones (S&C)and clarify on a regular basis.
An all conditioner routine was too heavy for my fine silver; it got greasy and lank.

I do a modified CO....drop of shampoo (Joico Moisture) with a squirt of conditioner (Joico Moisture) diluted to my scalp with conditioner on my ends...rinse.
Second conditioner (Joico Moisture) all over....focus on ends with a wee bit on scalp and rinse.
4 drops of Mineral oil on damp hair.

I use Joico to chelate and clarify every 4 months with the KPak conditioner
Neutrogena (milder) to clarify once a month and KPak
Silver shampoo (brightens/clarifies) once a month; regular conditioner

I don't get a ton of build up this way and my ends are moisturized and feel great....which is a relief because my silver is very fine!
If mine became brittle like yours .... :tmi:....I hate to think of what would happen!

I think I have found the perfect balance ~ my hair seems happy.

Hope you find your holy grail products for a happier you/hair :flower:

Thanks for replying Groovy Granny! I'm so glad you found your perfect balance and have happy hair. I'm so jealous! :)

I tried the drop of shampoo in my conditioner while CO and it worked well for cleansing and moisturizing my scalp and length. But, it was later on that the brittleness started.

And yes, the brittleness is scary! I've never had problems with that before CO. My hair has always been low maintenance and healthy. I don't use dye, perms, and almost no heat. I have a few silvers but my hair is still 98% brown. I want to CO so bad because my hair looked so good while doing it, but I don't want the hairs snapping off again. And a regular shampoo + conditioner routine leaves me with a frizzy part line and dried out ends. It seems I've got more experimenting to do. Believe it or not, I've read every page of this CO thread! I really, really want to make it work for me!

school of fish
March 25th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Thank you so much for your help. :) I was CO for about 2 months and I kept a hair diary while doing so. I can look back at the conditioners I used during the time and where I started having trouble with the brittleness. I just really didn't know how to fix it. I'm thinking your suggestion of clarifying might have done the trick. But instead of clarifying, after my hair started snapping off, I ran back to my sulfate shampoo and coney conditioner. But my hair went right back to dry ends, greasy roots, and flyaways after returning to that. So, I'm going back to CO now, armed with this new information and try to clarify when/if my hair starts to get brittle again.

So, here's another question, this time about clarifying. Since I've been using sulfate shampoos and coney conditioners the past 1 1/2 months, would I still need to clarify before I go back to CO? I shampooed and conditioned my hair with Herbal Essences Body Envy this morning, so would I need to clarify before trying my CO routine tomorrow? I know, I know, I'm over-thinking this aren't I? I would just love to get back on track with CO and find a routine that works for me.

Thanks a lot, School of Fish! And, if anyone else has tips for me, please feel free to chime in. :)

Hmmm... given that you were able to CO successfully for a run of weeks before the brittleness set in, perhaps you're one of those people who can CO as a rule but just throw in a clarifying shampoo once in a while? Like every couple weeks/once a month/as needed? There are many who find that a successful approach :)

If it were me, yes I would go ahead and clarify before the next round of experimentation, even though you just S&C'd. Clean slate ;) Then pick whichever of the conditioners you feel did well by you for the longest time, use it until such a time as you feel buildup/brittleness, then clarify again and see if the clarifying resets the clock.

It was smart of you to track your products! Since so much of finding the routine is a process of elimination, it really helps a lot to have a record.

It's definitely an overwhelming feeling, drowning in so much choice ;) Just keep looking for patterns - over time they reveal themselves and as you start narrowing the field of possibilities it becomes easier to make targeted choices and get more hits than misses on your educated guesses :D

GRU
March 25th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Brittle hair is supposed to be a sign of protein overload, not moisture overload.

Check the conditioners you were using for protein content.

Groovy Granny
March 25th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks for replying Groovy Granny! I'm so glad you found your perfect balance and have happy hair. I'm so jealous! :)

I tried the drop of shampoo in my conditioner while CO and it worked well for cleansing and moisturizing my scalp and length. But, it was later on that the brittleness started.

And yes, the brittleness is scary! I've never had problems with that before CO. My hair has always been low maintenance and healthy. I don't use dye, perms, and almost no heat. I have a few silvers but my hair is still 98% brown. I want to CO so bad because my hair looked so good while doing it, but I don't want the hairs snapping off again. And a regular shampoo + conditioner routine leaves me with a frizzy part line and dried out ends. It seems I've got more experimenting to do. Believe it or not, I've read every page of this CO thread! I really, really want to make it work for me!

You'll get there ~ GRU is here to help :)

Brittle hair is supposed to be a sign of protein overload, not moisture overload.

There you are ~ GRU...our CO GURU ....missed you :flowers:

sillyme
March 26th, 2016, 06:18 AM

Looking back over my hair diary, I do see that one of the conditioners I used for a while had protein and that seems to be when the brittleness problem started! Thank you for solving that mystery Gru! :) Now, hopefully I can clarify and get back on the CO track!

Thanks School of Fish, Gru, and Groovy Granny, ya'll are the best! :cheer:

school of fish
March 26th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Looking back over my hair diary, I do see that one of the conditioners I used for a while had protein and that seems to be when the brittleness problem started! Thank you for solving that mystery Gru! :) Now, hopefully I can clarify and get back on the CO track!

Woohoo!! Excellent catch by GRU!!! And excellent that you had the record so you could cross-reference the product/ingredient with the issue :D If protein was the culprit (and there's very good reason to believe it was), you're now armed with valuable knowledge about what your hair likes/dislikes, which will help you streamline future product searches accordingly :D

Now you get the fun part - trying it out and hopefully confirming the diagnosis ;) Best of luck!

lithostoic
March 26th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Doing a cowash today, I'll post before and after pics c:

Groovy Granny
March 26th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Awesome :flower:

Doing a cowash today, I'll post before and after pics c:

:popcorn:

GRU
March 26th, 2016, 10:40 PM

I'm happy to be able to pass along the wisdom that I've picked up here over the years! This community is the best!

Groovy Granny
March 27th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I'm happy to be able to pass along the wisdom that I've picked up here over the years! This community is the best!

And it is the best because of lovely, inspiring, supportive ladies like YOU ~ thank you :flowers:

MermaidKatie
March 28th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Does anyone know if HE Naked Volume conditioner would be ok for CO washing? I've never tried CO before and I picked it up, along with the shampoo, thinking in was silicone free. It has Bis Aminopropyl Dimethicone in it. Only the shampoo is though..

Salwety
March 28th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Is mane'n'tail conditioner silicon free? Has anyone tried it in CO? What was the result? I am thinking about buying it as my last beauty care product for the year ;) wish me luck and will power to commit to this goal.

missrandie
March 28th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Is mane'n'tail conditioner silicon free? Has anyone tried it in CO? What was the result? I am thinking about buying it as my last beauty care product for the year ;) wish me luck and will power to commit to this goal.
Mine is silicone free. Mane n Tail conditioner is actually my favorite conditioner to use for cowashing right now. It lets me go one more day without washing yet still leaves my hair happy.

If your hair is sensitive to protein, though, be aware that Mane n Tail does have protein in it.

Salwety
March 28th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Thanks missrandie for your reply :) happy to hear that it is working well with you.

lithostoic
March 28th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Here's the before and after, sorry for the delay. The "after" is the next day.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-C6vkHWRa7FY/VvhZe16LaCI/AAAAAAAABRE/BfwH17qTtlUDw7Jqmq7pcPmd2zIg8MpAw/w180-h320-no/16%2B-%2B3
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eRlxDdaFcyw/VvhZexmIdEI/AAAAAAAABRE/L9sZK8RFc48pnd8Lkxv2G-4Z3uQ43hVxg/w180-h320-no/16%2B-%2B2

Groovy Granny
March 28th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Here's the before and after, sorry for the delay. The "after" is the next day.

Very pretty :thumbsup:

It looks like that method will work good for you!

How does it feel?

lithostoic
March 28th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Groovy Granny It feels great! Tomorrow I'll probably shampoo but this is a great way to get some moisture back in my hair.

Groovy Granny
March 28th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Groovy Granny It feels great! Tomorrow I'll probably shampoo but this is a great way to get some moisture back in my hair.
That it does for sure!

Even with my modified method of a couple drops shampoo and a squirt of conditioner diluted together and applied to the scalp with extra conditioner on the ends makes a big difference for me; then a second full hair conditioner/rinse.

vpatt
March 29th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I'm still having good luck with CO. Mostly using Tresemme Naturals and Botanique, also Suave Naturals. Suave Naturals has been changed to Suave Essentials...I have not yet tried the Essentials line to see if the ingredients have changed or if it has the same results on my hair. Eventually I will try it. I have, ahem, a few conditioners to go through before I need to buy more. Of course, that hasn't stopped my buying up to now. Giggle

Groovy Granny
March 29th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I am glad it is working for you Vpatt :thumbsup:

So far I have refrained from buying more products but it has been tempting at times LOL

Oh take that back....I did get suave coconut....it was 'ok' as a shampoo.
I used half and added the rest to a liquid body soap :shrug:

Joico Moisture is my holy grail conditioner so far.