PDA

View Full Version : The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40

GRU
January 24th, 2015, 06:39 AM
One problem I'm running into right now is that my ends don't seem to be getting enough moisture, and are occasionally even crinkly if they dry in a braid. I just got a good trim to remove almost all previous bleach damage, so trimming isn't the issue... What should I try? Sealing with oil after a shower always just makes it look lank and nasty no matter how sparingly I use it, and dry oiling doesn't do anything for the crinkliness.

I'm glad to hear that CO-washing is working so well for you, too! My hair and my scalp have never been happier since I started doing this five years ago.

As for your ends, have you tried doing an SMT or other type of deep conditioning treatment?

Another thing that works well for me is mixing a tiny bit of oil into my leave-in conditioner before applying.... this allows me to apply a VERY thin layer of oil, much less than would be possible if applying oil directly, because it is dispersed in the conditioner. I keep a separate small bottle in my shower just for my leave-in, with the oil already mixed in.

meteor
January 24th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Hello! I've decided to join this thread. I've been CO washing for a couple months now and love it. No more flaky dandruffy scalp, no cone build up, no damage... It's great. I use Suave Naturals (just finished off the Green Apple and am now starting a bottle of Coconut), and then Tressemme Naturals as a heavier rinse out. This usually gets it clean and never seems to leave any build up or anything. I do clarify about once a month (swim shampoo) on the occasions when I stay overnight with family or a hotel, etc and don't know if the water is hard or not (I have soft water at home).

One problem I'm running into right now is that my ends don't seem to be getting enough moisture, and are occasionally even crinkly if they dry in a braid. I just got a good trim to remove almost all previous bleach damage, so trimming isn't the issue... What should I try? Sealing with oil after a shower always just makes it look lank and nasty no matter how sparingly I use it, and dry oiling doesn't do anything for the crinkliness.

My immediate thought would be to clarify, if you haven't done so recently. That crinkly, crispy-feeling hair after a long time of CO-washing could definitely suggest some build-up from waxes, silicones, polyquats, oils...

rhyebud
January 24th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I just want to share what I've been doing because it works so well for my hair. It's not quite co-washing and it's not quite an SMT (but similar to both); I was doing co-washing for awhile until I discovered adding honey creates infinitely better results, at least for my hair. If this is already common knowledge, I apologize. I couldn't find anything quite like this when I searched the website so I decided to put it on the co-washing thread. I mix a 1:3 ratio of honey to conditioner in a small bottle. I happen to have raw wildflower honey and VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Therapy conditioner. I massage generous amounts of the stuff into my scalp and throughout the whole length of my hair, then I rinse my hair in cool water. For a second time I massage the mixture into my scalp and hair, but this time I pin up my hair and let the mixture sink in for the duration of the shower. Then I rinse my hair thoroughly in cool water. I don't warm up my honey because I'm not concerned about the lightening effects, but you could. I air dry my hair and I've found I only have to do this method once a week or even once every 2 weeks and my hair has never looked or felt better. And those little white flakes I used to get all the time are virtually gone. Another thing, I don't use any products on my hair except maybe a little sugar water as hairspray every once in a blue moon, so I'm not sure how effective this method would be for someone who does use a lot of product, but you could try it.

ReneeG
January 26th, 2015, 11:33 AM
My immediate thought would be to clarify, if you haven't done so recently. That crinkly, crispy-feeling hair after a long time of CO-washing could definitely suggest some build-up from waxes, silicones, polyquats, oils...

Thank you for the suggestion, but it was just as bad after clarifying too, which I do about once a month.

GRU the idea of oil in the leave in sounds very worth a try! Oils dont seem to do enough while still making it look greasy, but the combination might be really great, I'll let you know when I get to trying it for my next wash :)

CostaEureka
February 7th, 2015, 08:25 AM
:couch::waving:Hello there!

I'm new to the forum and I stumbled across this thread and was hoping I might be able to get some advice from more seasoned CO-washers as I have just begun my journey. I recently stumbled across the method and had a realization that instead of having uncooperative, fine, thin hair as I thought...that I might just have type 2a swavy hair that I have been unintentionally mistreating. :doh: I completed my first cowash the day before yesterday with 100 Percent Pure's Kelp & Mint Volumizing Conditioner, following the curly girl method for my hair type. I scrunch-dried with a microfiber towel after I got out of the shower and used a natural hairspray to scrunch-style my hair (as I didn't have any gel.) My hair did not look all that great, but then again it was the first cowash and I haven't been very enthused about my fine, seemingly unkempt hair since I started growing out my bangs (what I felt like gave me a 'hairstyle.') I threw it up in a bun and went about my day (as I have been prone to do lately.) I kept my bun as I slept and when I awoke my hair was even more of a mess. I read this wasn't unusual, and tried refreshing my hair with a homemade aloe vera and lavender spray gel, this didn't help matters much. My hair appeared oily beginning at the roots, and thin/limp progressing towards the ends. Again with the bun to proceed with my day. :king: Last night I applied coconut and avocado oils to my hair, and this morning I've got an oily/wavy mess (which was to be expected), but my blonde ends are still kind of gnarly/crunchy...they probably need a :scissors:. To wrap up my long-winded post :soapbox: I would very much appreciate :pray: any advice for how to have a better relationship with my hair, and progress to a point where I actually like wearing it down. I do not use any form of heat-styling, and I only use naturally-derived hair products (diy if possible.) I would love a more glamorous look, and I thought you long haired co-washing beauties would be just the ones to help me achieve a loving relationship with my currently fine, thin, oily, rebellious hair. :thud:

ravenheather
March 6th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I have tried co before and was not successful. I am trying again as my scalp is in better balance after cleaning up my diet. I am 2 washes in and so far I like it. Just got some As I Am co wash. Fingers crossed it will work well for me as it has for some of you. I will keep you posted.

MandyBeth
March 12th, 2015, 08:32 PM
If you're curly with off behaving ends - are they still nicely clumped or are they fuzzy?

Clumped means build up, fuzz means needing a trim - at least here on my very curly minion.

Cinnamonqueen12
March 16th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Hey there! This thread is amazing, so many suggestions and helpful tips! One thing is still slightly confusing to me. This thread is just so long that I couldn't possibly read every page, so I apologise if this has been asked and answered already, but some people mention a first condition and a second.....is that necessary? I have been debating over whether to try CO or not, because my hair is very oily and waxy, and it takes shampooing twice to get it feeling clean-ish. But I think my hair is having a protein overload as it does not stretch when I did the strand test, but no amount of moisture seems to fix it.

Larki
March 16th, 2015, 11:27 AM
It's not necessary, I usually only do it once.

Cinnamonqueen12
March 16th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Does it matter what kind of conditioner it is? Could it be, say, Suave daily claryfying conditioner, or Herbal Essences Naked Moisture? Does thickness and texture matter? Sorry if these questions have been covered already!

jeanniet
March 17th, 2015, 09:25 AM
What you use is pretty individual, but I'd start with something fairly runny and without any cones in it. Some people do fine with cones in their wash conditioner, but it's better to try without first. The most popular brands seem to be Suave, VO5, and White Rain, so maybe one of those. Just be aware that often one brand really isn't right and another one will be much better. VO5 will work for me a time or two, but not longer, whereas with Suave coconut I get very consistent results.

If you think your hair is OK with some protein, try Suave Tropical Coconut. If not, the apple is pretty popular (check the label, but I'm pretty sure it's protein free). VO5 Kiwi-lime is another popular one, and I think the moisture milks. They're all inexpensive, so you can try a few out and see what you think.

GabrielleRose
March 18th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Started CO again, and having great results! I know cones don't work for some but I've been using Herbal Essences conditioners and actually getting better results than those without cones. V05 worked ok for me, but some scents broke my neck out and I can no longer find my favorite blackberry scent :(, and Suave never rinsed out clean.

I've done 3 washes so far, and my hair looks fuller and shinier. Also my hair looks lighter, with sulfate free shampoo it would look dull and darker in color.

gthlvrmx
March 19th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Would CO washing really cause hair loss or lots of shedding that will lead to thinner hair? I might have posted this question on this thread before, but I'd like to know what other people have to say about this. I remember the days when I used shampoo only (no conditioner or oil afterward) and I would lose big palmfuls of hair each time. Now I lose a smaller amount (which is good because I wash around once a week so in comparison I think I am shedding much less) but I'd love to hear what others have to say about shedding! :)

Larki
March 19th, 2015, 10:04 PM
It does for some people,but not for others! I have co-washed for almost a year now, and I shed exactly as much as I did before co-washing (which is pretty low; maybe 15-20 strands a day).

gthlvrmx
March 19th, 2015, 10:22 PM
It does for some people,but not for others! I have co-washed for almost a year now, and I shed exactly as much as I did before co-washing (which is pretty low; maybe 15-20 strands a day).

Thank you for responding so quickly! That sounds like an amazing amount to be shedding :) It sounds like a little to me.

MandyBeth
March 20th, 2015, 03:33 AM
I noticed more shedding in the shower when trying CO, but I then had maybe three strands in my brush in two weeks. My ponytail didn't thin out at all. My anecdotal theory is CO requires more scalp manipulation for me, so it loosens up what would shed soon, thus very little shed outside of washing. Those 30 or so strands were going to be shed in the next 48 hours, I just convinced them to shed a bit early.

Kaya
March 20th, 2015, 03:47 AM
I'm definitely fascinated when people report more shedding with CO-washing. I'd venture to say it's definitely a YMMV case. I'm a dedicated CO-washer, what with my daily oiling habit. I find that I shed a normal amount when I eyeball the hairs I lose between oil application, pre-shower conditioner soak, and in-shower rinse. Heck, I can tell when I either shed more or less, since it's such a regular amount.

In terms of shedding more with CO-washing than with regular shampooing due to scalp manipulation, for me, it's opposite. On the occasions that I need to chelate/clarify, I lose what seems like a bucket-load of hair, relative to my normal shed. :eek: And I'm a fairly careful shampooer too. But then again, usually the next day's CO-wash results in far less shed than normal. Probably cause part of it was lost in the previous wash. :D

rumi
March 20th, 2015, 05:06 AM
Hi everybody, it's been a while since I've been on here but I'm desperate for some wisdom!

I've been cone free CO-ing for nearly 6 years now and it's been fantastic for my dry frizzy hair but the last 4 or 5 months I've just been over run with an itchy scalp and dandruff (especially in the fringe area) and have been shedding like crazy! My hair feels so thin and lank at the minute and the itching is driving me to distraction! I returned to education last September and my stress levels went through the roof so I know that will have something to do with it, but other than that I can't think of what may be contributing to it and I don't have the first clue how to get it under control. I was so desperate the other day I almost went out and bought head and shoulders :(

At the minute I'm CO-ing every 2-3 days with a cone free conditioner and rinsing with cold water and doing a clarifying shampoo about once every 3-4 weeks. I don't use any styling products at all but I do use a hairdryer on it's lowest setting. This has always worked fine with me but not anymore I'd be so grateful for some suggestions.

Thanks very much everybody.

nyia
March 20th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Rumi, you should probably see a dermatologist. What you're describing sounds more like a skin or scalp condition than the result of something you've been doing (successfully) for six years.

If it is a health issue, your doctor will be able to give you some treatment options. If it's not a health issue, it might be as simple as an unannounced change in the products you're using.

jeanniet
March 20th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Would CO washing really cause hair loss or lots of shedding that will lead to thinner hair? I might have posted this question on this thread before, but I'd like to know what other people have to say about this. I remember the days when I used shampoo only (no conditioner or oil afterward) and I would lose big palmfuls of hair each time. Now I lose a smaller amount (which is good because I wash around once a week so in comparison I think I am shedding much less) but I'd love to hear what others have to say about shedding! :)

It's possible to experience increased shedding while COing, but hard to say how many people are affected by this vs. other hair loss factors. In any case, I have less shedding with CO than with shampooing, even though I manipulate my hair more with CO (scalp scrubbing) and now don't brush or comb in between washings (as opposed to when I shampooed and detangled twice or more a day). I've been CO for about two years now, and in that time shampooed/clarified maybe five times, no issues. So if it works for you, don't worry about it.

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I noticed more shedding in the shower when trying CO, but I then had maybe three strands in my brush in two weeks. My ponytail didn't thin out at all. My anecdotal theory is CO requires more scalp manipulation for me, so it loosens up what would shed soon, thus very little shed outside of washing. Those 30 or so strands were going to be shed in the next 48 hours, I just convinced them to shed a bit early.
Oh 3 strands doesn't sound like much! That's good!

I'm definitely fascinated when people report more shedding with CO-washing. I'd venture to say it's definitely a YMMV case. I'm a dedicated CO-washer, what with my daily oiling habit. I find that I shed a normal amount when I eyeball the hairs I lose between oil application, pre-shower conditioner soak, and in-shower rinse. Heck, I can tell when I either shed more or less, since it's such a regular amount.

In terms of shedding more with CO-washing than with regular shampooing due to scalp manipulation, for me, it's opposite. On the occasions that I need to chelate/clarify, I lose what seems like a bucket-load of hair, relative to my normal shed. :eek: And I'm a fairly careful shampooer too. But then again, usually the next day's CO-wash results in far less shed than normal. Probably cause part of it was lost in the previous wash. :D
I'm starting to think I lose more hair with shampoo now though. Clarifiers are really strong!

It's possible to experience increased shedding while COing, but hard to say how many people are affected by this vs. other hair loss factors. In any case, I have less shedding with CO than with shampooing, even though I manipulate my hair more with CO (scalp scrubbing) and now don't brush or comb in between washings (as opposed to when I shampooed and detangled twice or more a day). I've been CO for about two years now, and in that time shampooed/clarified maybe five times, no issues. So if it works for you, don't worry about it.
OK thank you all for your responses! Yes, there seems to be nothing to worry about from my end though after taking a closer look.

rumi
March 25th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Rumi, you should probably see a dermatologist. What you're describing sounds more like a skin or scalp condition than the result of something you've been doing (successfully) for six years.

If it is a health issue, your doctor will be able to give you some treatment options. If it's not a health issue, it might be as simple as an unannounced change in the products you're using.

Thank you for the response, Nyia sorry about the wait getting back to you.

I mentioned my problems and your suggestion to my mum and she's told me that my dad has a history of chronic psoriasis that she's never mentioned before despite the fact I've struggled with dry skin for years, which was a bit annoying.

I'm going to make an appointment at the doctors to see what they say however in the meantime I looked at the new users thread and did what that suggested which is a CWC wash and it has helped a lot!!

Thanks for the advice hon :)

MandyBeth
March 25th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Yeah, with CO shedding vs not - go off what your ponytail is doing. If it's still normal, it's probably fine.

My scalp throws a nasty tantrum however long term CO, so I'm using shampoo without problems. My daughters are both CO without problems.

nyia
March 25th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Thank you for the response, Nyia sorry about the wait getting back to you.

I mentioned my problems and your suggestion to my mum and she's told me that my dad has a history of chronic psoriasis that she's never mentioned before despite the fact I've struggled with dry skin for years, which was a bit annoying.

I'm going to make an appointment at the doctors to see what they say however in the meantime I looked at the new users thread and did what that suggested which is a CWC wash and it has helped a lot!!

Thanks for the advice hon :)

I've had psoriasis since I was two. That's more than 50 years now.

I'm not giving you medical advice, but when you see your doctor, ask him or her about sensitivity to soaps and detergents. When I switched to CO, the psoriasis I'd had in my scalp for decades cleared up within six months.

Also, you might be offered some of the new classes of drugs for psoriasis, which are also used for psoriatic arthritis. I recently had to stop taking Arava, which did clear up a lot of the psoriasis on my skin, but had some horrible side effects. I've lost about half my hair, my vision has changed, and I've had periods of extreme dizziness. My hair was more than knee length, now it's about half as thick, and most of what's left has had breakage. I have to wear glasses almost all the time now, and rarely drive any more.

Make sure you watch for any side effects of anything you're given. Again, I'm not a medical professional. Just be careful.

maxzeen
April 12th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Hello. I am trying the CO wash method. My poor hair has been through a lot. I am currently growing out bleach so my hair needs all the TLC it can get. So far it is working well. One thing I don't quite understand is do I use the CO to wash all my hair and only use that? Or do I do that as well as another conditioner for the ends? Thanks :)

lapushka
April 12th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Hello. I am trying the CO wash method. My poor hair has been through a lot. I am currently growing out bleach so my hair needs all the TLC it can get. So far it is working well. One thing I don't quite understand is do I use the CO to wash all my hair and only use that? Or do I do that as well as another conditioner for the ends? Thanks :)

In my understanding of the method, you use one conditioner to cleanse the scalp, and another one after that to detangle the lengths with.

jeanniet
April 12th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Well, generally you just use one conditioner to wash both the scalp and the length, but not everyone detangles at that point. Sometimes people will rinse this out and then use a second, heavier conditioner for the "conditioning" part, or sometimes just add in a leave in, and detangle then, but it's not really necessary. Whether you want to add in a second step really depends on your hair and what it needs or responds to.

ETA: If I do a second conditioning, I put conditioner all over, including my scalp. I put leave in all over, too. So no matter how much or little conditioner I use, it always gets slapped on my scalp as well as the ends.

Larki
April 12th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I use one conditioner on both the scalp and the length, work it in really well and let it sit for the entire shower (for the conditioning), then rinse and apply a leave-in and a little oil when I get out of the shower. I've tried repeating it, but my hair doesn't need it.

maxzeen
April 13th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Great info! Thanks everyone. I think I didn't rinse enough the last time because my hair was extremely greasy. I am using the VO5 kiwi/lime (? I think..I'm at work right now) and it seems to be working ok. Is there a list of CO wash conditioners that work well? I've tried finding them on the boards but I didn't see it

arelrios
April 13th, 2015, 09:49 AM
maxzeen, that is the one I use... I tried different ones, but I always comeback to that one... try diluting it... it works even better. In my case, the more diluted the conditioner the better it foams up thus I get a cleaner scalp... ;)

Larki
April 13th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Great info! Thanks everyone. I think I didn't rinse enough the last time because my hair was extremely greasy. I am using the VO5 kiwi/lime (? I think..I'm at work right now) and it seems to be working ok. Is there a list of CO wash conditioners that work well? I've tried finding them on the boards but I didn't see it

Pretty much anything will work, I think - you just want it to be cone-free, or else you'll have to use a clarifying shampoo every few weeks. I normally use either Wen or Suave, but I've also co-washed with an orange bottle one that I don't remember the brand of (vive, maybe? Some cheap drugstore brand), and had no problems, as well as with Ojon conditioner. It doesn't make a difference at all, for my hair, what I co-wash with. Some of them have amodimethicone in them, which doesn't build up and therefore doesn't require clarifying.

silkystrandz
April 17th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Hi... I have 1a hair and was thinking co would make it flat and greasy....Boy was I wrong my hair feels so wonderful. I don't think I will ever go back to regular shampooing!!! In other words.....Love It !

Temme
April 19th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I started co washing because shampoo made my roots frizzy, but I've been co washing every other day for 10 days now, and my roots are still frizzy. (The length is pretty good because I usually only condition it with thick conditioner.) I used to use leave-in conditioner with cones on the top of my head, but now I'm using coconut oil to prevent build-up.

Why is the top of my head frizzy when the only thing I put on it is conditioner and coconut oil? If I need to wait it out, how long do you think it will take for the frizz to go down? Unless I'm mistaken, co washing rarely leaves someone's roots dry even without any kind of leave-in. Thank you:)

CaranDulin
April 19th, 2015, 12:32 PM
What do you guys think of Mane 'n Tail for CO?
My hair has suddenly become very dry and frizzy, and I need a change. I think CO will be a step in the right direction! My hair is wurly, too, after all.

Larki
April 19th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I started co washing because shampoo made my roots frizzy, but I've been co washing every other day for 10 days now, and my roots are still frizzy. (The length is pretty good because I usually only condition it with thick conditioner.) I used to use leave-in conditioner with cones on the top of my head, but now I'm using coconut oil to prevent build-up.

Why is the top of my head frizzy when the only thing I put on it is conditioner and coconut oil? If I need to wait it out, how long do you think it will take for the frizz to go down? Unless I'm mistaken, co washing rarely leaves someone's roots dry even without any kind of leave-in. Thank you:)

Could the frizz actually just be new growth?

My hair has suddenly become very dry and frizzy, and I need a change. I think CO will be a step in the right direction! My hair is wurly, too, after all.
I've never used Mane n Tail, but I hear it has a lot of protein, so if you don't know whether your hair likes protein, I'd be wary. It's worth a try, though!

eva888
April 21st, 2015, 11:28 AM

Every time I've used Mane n tail I started with high hopes and then after using it a short while I had the most unbelievably horrible hair days. Too much build up or something. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for CO! :)

nyia
April 21st, 2015, 11:58 AM
Mane'n'Tail is a great product, if you use it right and have the right hair type for it. I've been using it for most of my life.

However, if your hair is very fine, or thin, or doesn't like high protein products, it probably won't work for you. Remember, this was formulated for horses and other large animals.

The shampoo will get your hair clean. In fact, it will pretty much strip your hair and scalp of any and all natural oils. As a friend of mine said, it gets your hair almost too clean. He has the fine, thin type of hair.

The conditioner is formulated to put proteins, shine, and body back in your hair. Think of a horse's mane or tail, the way it fans and curls after being washed and conditioned. That's pretty much what you'll get. However, it might leave curly hair a little more snarly at first, but once it's unsnarled, it tends to stay that way longer.

So, while its a really great product, it's probably not an every time product. Try a small bottle first.

Temme
April 23rd, 2015, 07:24 PM
I think the reason co still left the top of my head frizzy was that Suave just wasn't moisturizing enough. I was using Suave on the scalp and Pantene on the length, but I've started co washing with just Pantene on the scalp and length, and the frizz seems to have gone down a lot. I think my hair is still recovering from all the sulphates!

CaranDulin
May 4th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Could the frizz actually just be new growth?

I've never used Mane n Tail, but I hear it has a lot of protein, so if you don't know whether your hair likes protein, I'd be wary. It's worth a try, though!

Every time I've used Mane n tail I started with high hopes and then after using it a short while I had the most unbelievably horrible hair days. Too much build up or something. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for CO! :)

Mane'n'Tail is a great product, if you use it right and have the right hair type for it. I've been using it for most of my life.

However, if your hair is very fine, or thin, or doesn't like high protein products, it probably won't work for you. Remember, this was formulated for horses and other large animals.

The shampoo will get your hair clean. In fact, it will pretty much strip your hair and scalp of any and all natural oils. As a friend of mine said, it gets your hair almost too clean. He has the fine, thin type of hair.

The conditioner is formulated to put proteins, shine, and body back in your hair. Think of a horse's mane or tail, the way it fans and curls after being washed and conditioned. That's pretty much what you'll get. However, it might leave curly hair a little more snarly at first, but once it's unsnarled, it tends to stay that way longer.

So, while its a really great product, it's probably not an every time product. Try a small bottle first.

Hmm... thanks, guys! I've been using it for about two weeks now, and I've found that I do need to add in more moisture than usual: ie. aloe and leave-in conditioner.
I've actually been having success with Aussie's leave-in, it's nice and soft.

My hair is about medium thickness, and very tolerable of protein and cones. Unfortunately I asked about the conditioner AFTER I bought a giant bottle of it, so I'm gonna wait it out and see if there are any negative effects.

At any rate, I'd be glad to try any others you'd recommend. I have lots of kinds of VO5 at my grocery store.
My main concern is with frizziness and softness, and thankfully what I'm using right now is making it a little happier.

Auni
May 11th, 2015, 03:03 PM
So I'm going to attempt this again. I really want to get away from cones and SLS, it's a "slippery" road once you travel it! Regular S&C works great for me but I'm tired of washing every other day, and with summer upon me, I need to attack my frizz before it appears, and cones don't help me in the summer:no:! I've been experimenting with poo bars, and just need to stop for the time being, they just aren't working for me right now despite my best efforts. SO. I CO washed a few years back with moderate results. Truly I probably just didn't wait out the transition period long enough, as I would get greasy on day 1 after my wash. Back then I had had chin length hair and had to wash everyday anyways. So here's to hoping this will work for me, hopefully I'm patient with with transition and the HOURS it will take my hair to dry with this method!:toast:

CoveredByLove
May 11th, 2015, 03:11 PM
I've been co washing successfully for about a month and half now with Tresemme Naturals. I love that stuff. I buy like 2 or 3 bottles at a time to stock up. :p I failed miserably in the past trying to co wash. I still have to use diluted sulfate-free poo sometimes to combat build up from styling products, which I'm working on getting away from. :) When I do use diluted shampoo, I dilute it a lot (1 tsp to a full glass of water) and pour it over my length, let it sit, (I don't work it in or anything) then rinse. Its been working for me, and both my scalp and hair loves it.

Auni
May 11th, 2015, 03:20 PM
I've been co washing successfully for about a month and half now with Tresemme Naturals. I love that stuff. I buy like 2 or 3 bottles at a time to stock up. :p I failed miserably in the past trying to co wash. I still have to use diluted sulfate-free poo sometimes to combat build up from styling products, which I'm working on getting away from. :) When I do use diluted shampoo, I dilute it a lot (1 tsp to a full glass of water) and pour it over my length, let it sit, (I don't work it in or anything) then rinse. Its been working for me, and both my scalp and hair loves it.

I almost bought that condish today, but restrained myself as I have 2 bottles of suave (tropical coconut and lavender something) at home yet!

AngelaE8654
May 11th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I've been cowashing with Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner for over a year. Love that stuff and my hair is curlier than ever. I NEVER have to use shampoo unless I've put some product into my hair that makes it feel gross.

Auni
May 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM
So. I CO washed today following a good clarifying wash. So far, soft, light hair...HUGE hair, full of fuzz.shudder: It's not 100% dry yet, so the lion mane could settle down some. I'm hoping that with continued CO washing, it will help tame the canopy monster:whip:! I really don't want to use products, I hate the feeling and the build up :shake:. Ah! coconut oil! I forgot my coconut oil!:doh:

arelrios
May 18th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I've been co for quite sometime now; I use VO5 kiwi lime. But lately I'm getting itchy scalp and i see flakes on my hairline (widows peak specially). In order to keep it under control, I am washing every two days. I also went ahead and got some sheamoisture black african shampoo. I love the fact that my hair seems shiny and it is extremely soft (i've only washed twice) but I am still feeling the itchiness... :( ... Not sure if I should try stronger shampoos.

When I have washed with VO5 kiwi lime shampoo, it seems lo loosen up the flakes and I can see the residue (whitey stuff) on my hairline.... Not sure if this will happen with other shampoos (it doesnt happen with the sheamoisture)

I am also applying neeli oil once a week, sometimes not even that often, and I leave it for around 30 minutes...

I think is also worth to mention that I had a hell of a horrible week last week and the last month hasnt been easy either (stress related)

Any advice? (Sorry for the typos as i am using my phone)

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know if you can CO wash your facial hair? Would that clog any pores? I asked my friend about this because she knows more about skin care (including the skin on her face) and she said it may not be best to CO wash facial hair because it may clog pores. She said if it clogs pores on your scalp, just imagine what it would do on your face pores.
Although I did tell her that conditioner won't clog scalp pores :p

amanda_the_tall
May 18th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I've been co for quite sometime now; I use VO5 kiwi lime. But lately I'm getting itchy scalp and i see flakes on my hairline (widows peak specially). In order to keep it under control, I am washing every two days. I also went ahead and got some sheamoisture black african shampoo. I love the fact that my hair seems shiny and it is extremely soft (i've only washed twice) but I am still feeling the itchiness... :( ... Not sure if I should try stronger shampoos.

When I have washed with VO5 kiwi lime shampoo, it seems lo loosen up the flakes and I can see the residue (whitey stuff) on my hairline.... Not sure if this will happen with other shampoos (it doesnt happen with the sheamoisture)

I am also applying neeli oil once a week, sometimes not even that often, and I leave it for around 30 minutes...

I think is also worth to mention that I had a hell of a horrible week last week and the last month hasnt been easy either (stress related)

Any advice? (Sorry for the typos as i am using my phone)

Vo5 always gave me flakes.... it was buildup from the product (I particularly remember the kiwi lime was the worst...). I switched to Suave, no buildup, no flakes! Sorry you had a bad week. :(

amanda_the_tall
May 18th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know if you can CO wash your facial hair? Would that clog any pores? I asked my friend about this because she knows more about skin care (including the skin on her face) and she said it may not be best to CO wash facial hair because it may clog pores. She said if it clogs pores on your scalp, just imagine what it would do on your face pores.
Although I did tell her that conditioner won't clog scalp pores :p

When my uncle was growing out facial hair, he would put conditioner on it to help it be a little softer. He didn't have any problems with it.

unicornlady
May 18th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I want to quit shampoo and cowash works great for me, but recently I started oiling my scalp.
Of course it would look horrible if I washed it with conditioner only, so I had to use shampoo.
I've heard shikakai was a herbal alternative that can wash the oil off. I have no access to it here right now, I'm considering ordering from abroad. Any other ideas that would eliminate the need for shampoo?

Larki
May 18th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Actually, conditioner works much better than shampoo does at getting rid of oil!

arelrios
May 18th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Vo5 always gave me flakes.... it was buildup from the product (I particularly remember the kiwi lime was the worst...). I switched to Suave, no buildup, no flakes! Sorry you had a bad week. :(

Interesting... I have used it for at least 1.5 years and this happened until recently. Anyway, I will see how it goes with the sheamoisture and go from there (perhaps I have to wash with it once a week?) and try anothere conditioner...

Thanks for your comment :blossom:

sarahthegemini
May 18th, 2015, 12:47 PM
My holy grail co-wash conditioner has been discontinued :(

jeanniet
May 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Ugh, that's the problem with commercial products! They always have to mess with the ingredients, or come up with something "new and better." I hope you can find something else that works just as well.

sarahthegemini
May 19th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Ugh, that's the problem with commercial products! They always have to mess with the ingredients, or come up with something "new and better." I hope you can find something else that works just as well.

I hope so too! I've tried Superdrug's tea tree and apple and I now have a load of spots on my forehead and hair line :-s Gunna try out the coconut one!

arelrios
May 19th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Update: I tried some of the suggestions in other thread and oiled my scalp last night. One drop of castor oil and a couple drops of olive and that totally did the trick. The itchiness is almost gone...

gthlvrmx
May 20th, 2015, 02:44 PM
When my uncle was growing out facial hair, he would put conditioner on it to help it be a little softer. He didn't have any problems with it.

OK thanks! So far I don't have problems with the SMT I gave my facial hair, it seemed to worked fine.

unicornlady
May 20th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Actually, conditioner works much better than shampoo does at getting rid of oil!

I've heard a lot of people say this but it does not work for me. Shampoo works though.
I wanted to give cowash yet one more chance before responding so I dont come across like a jerk... so I tried it tonight after oiling. I spent handfuls of conditioner and washed several times thouroughly...
When my hair dried it was soft but GREASY (stringy and gross). No time to wash and dry again tonight so I'll hide in a bun and wash tomorrow. I wont do this again for sure.

Verdict: Cowash doesnt work with scalp oiling.
It might work for very dense or kinky hair that soaks it up, but I'm wavy and really have to use something else when I oil. The same conditioner works great when I dont, it's a regular simple moisturizing one.

GRU
May 21st, 2015, 04:34 AM
It might work for very dense or kinky hair that soaks it up, but I'm wavy and really have to use something else when I oil. The same conditioner works great when I dont, it's a regular simple moisturizing one.

How many different conditioners have you tried?

arelrios
May 21st, 2015, 06:36 AM
I've heard a lot of people say this but it does not work for me. Shampoo works though.
I wanted to give cowash yet one more chance before responding so I dont come across like a jerk... so I tried it tonight after oiling. I spent handfuls of conditioner and washed several times thouroughly...
When my hair dried it was soft but GREASY (stringy and gross). No time to wash and dry again tonight so I'll hide in a bun and wash tomorrow. I wont do this again for sure.

I consider myself a wavy (some in here have hairtyped me as a wavy as well) and I am able to clean my hair completely even after heavy oiling with undiluted castor oil... One thing I learned from Gru (:waving: Gru) is that very diluted conditioner works better than full strength. Just a thought

GRU
May 21st, 2015, 06:43 AM
One thing I learned from Gru (:waving: Gru) is that very diluted conditioner works better than full strength. Just a thought

:waving: arelrios!!!

unicornlady
May 21st, 2015, 04:37 PM
I used two conditioners this last time, first one I happened to dillute on accident because I had little left and I washed twice with that, then took the other one. I'm sorry it really doesnt work. Can you suggest something else except shampoo to clean my hair when I oil? either that or I'll just stop oiling. But I began oiling because henna is drying on my scalp...

jeanniet
May 21st, 2015, 08:42 PM
Conditioner often works better with oilings if you apply it and let it work for half an hour or so before washing.

rhosyn_du
May 21st, 2015, 08:50 PM

Whatever is going on, it's not because you've got wavy hair. CO works much better for me than shampoo for washing out oil, and I've got wavy hair. I use a clarifying conditioner for washing out oil, though, rather than the regular moisturizing conditioner I use after shampoo. Maybe the conditioners you've used have been too heavy? Or maybe it just doesn't work for you, but if you want to try again, I'd recommend trying a clarifying conditioner. VO5 makes a couple of good (and cheap!) ones.

unicornlady
May 22nd, 2015, 03:55 AM
I dont think I have access to that in my country - the clarifying conditioners that is - actually first time I hear about it :embarassed:
I think I'll just use shampoo I obviously cant wash it with what I have.

renia22
May 22nd, 2015, 06:34 AM
unicornlady
-I'm only a once in a blue moon co-washer myself, but a few things I have tried helped me with the issues you are having (I had the same problem getting the oil out even with shampoo). You can probably get away with using conditioner as long as it's not full of oils and butters and silicones, and containing gentler "cleansing" surfactants like tearalkonium chloride, cetrimonium chloride, dicetyldimonium chloride, behentrimonium methosulfate, behentrimonium chloride, and/ or stearamidopropyl dimethylamine. The "cheapies" like Vo5 & Suave tend to work well for this reason, so maybe where you live you have a similar product? Also when you introduce water makes a difference. If you apply the oil to dry hair, then work conditioner through your hair before adding water when you are in the shower, it might be easier to get the oil out. Here's an explanation of the method. It talks about oily hair & getting it out with shampoo, but I think this would work with hair oils and getting them out with conditioner:

http://chemistrysimplified.com/lather-rinse-repeat/

Good luck :)

SapphiraSilver
May 22nd, 2015, 07:37 AM
I had a problem washing out oil too with just conditioner. What helped me is mixing the oil with conditioner. I use coconut oil so I mixed coconut oil with my conditioner, applied that to my hair for a few hours, and it washed off much easier then just oil with no conditioner mixed in. I only needed to condition, didn't have to use shampoo.

unicornlady
May 22nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
@renia22, the conditioners I use for cowashing have few light ingredients in order to avoid buildup (no proteins, no cones), such as cetrimonium chloride. They should be suitable. Yes I apply oil to dry hair. I didnt try that method of applying the conditioner first, then water. I'll see how that goes, getting on the link you posted. :)

@SapphiraSilver, interesting idea, thx. I'll try it together next time and see how my scalp behaves.

Thanks for two more options to try... I hope it will work this time! I'll write on this thread and make sure to thank you again if it works! If not I still thank you for being kind and helpful.

jeanniet
May 22nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
There's also a rinse-out oil thread somewhere--the link is in Lapuska's siggie. I'm not sure entirely how it works, but I think it's applying oil between shampoo and conditioner. Might be worth checking out?

unicornlady
May 25th, 2015, 05:25 AM
renia22 and SapphiraSilver (and everyone else who chimed in to help), your advice has worked! THANK YOU! :blossom:
I have rinsed out the oil from my hair very successfully this morning using conditioner! I massaged the conditioner into the dry hair well first, and then rinsed out twice more with diluted conditioner. The results are perfect. :magic: Not greasy at all. Yay I can keep oiling without shampoo!

cat11
May 25th, 2015, 04:06 PM
@renia22, the conditioners I use for cowashing have few light ingredients in order to avoid buildup (no proteins, no cones), such as cetrimonium chloride. They should be suitable. Yes I apply oil to dry hair. I didnt try that method of applying the conditioner first, then water. I'll see how that goes, getting on the link you posted. :)

@SapphiraSilver, interesting idea, thx. I'll try it together next time and see how my scalp behaves.

Thanks for two more options to try... I hope it will work this time! I'll write on this thread and make sure to thank you again if it works! If not I still thank you for being kind and helpful.

If you're using actual conditioner that might be the problem

It works for some but not for all.

It didnt work for me. using products sold for co wash does though. Palmers & As I am are good ones

unicornlady
May 25th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Does washing with a shampoo with milder substances like cocomidopropyl (or so) betaine have the same effect as cowashing? Is that what these products consist of?
I dont have cowash products readily available (I'm in Eastern Europe) but I could get this kind of very mild shampoo...

SapphiraSilver
May 25th, 2015, 07:13 PM
renia22 and SapphiraSilver (and everyone else who chimed in to help), your advice has worked! THANK YOU! :blossom:
I have rinsed out the oil from my hair very successfully this morning using conditioner! I massaged the conditioner into the dry hair well first, and then rinsed out twice more with diluted conditioner. The results are perfect. :magic: Not greasy at all. Yay I can keep oiling without shampoo!

yay!! I am so glad you found a way that works well for you :)

Larki
May 25th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Does washing with a shampoo with milder substances like cocomidopropyl (or so) betaine have the same effect as cowashing? Is that what these products consist of?
I dont have cowash products readily available (I'm in Eastern Europe) but I could get this kind of very mild shampoo...

I looked at the ingredients of several conditioners used for co-wash and specific cleansing conditioners, and the most common ingredients are Behentrimonium Chloride (cleansing and conditioning agent), Cetrimonium Chloride (cleanser and static reducer), Cetyl Alcohol (fatty alcohol - moisturizing) and glycerin (humectant).

Try looking for conditioners with either of the chlorides!

isbmlamloi
May 26th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I looked at the ingredients of several conditioners used for co-wash and specific cleansing conditioners, and the most common ingredients are Behentrimonium Chloride (cleansing and conditioning agent), Cetrimonium Chloride (cleanser and static reducer), Cetyl Alcohol (fatty alcohol - moisturizing) and glycerin (humectant).
Oh man, that makes me so happy--the conditioner I make at home uses behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, glycerin, and coconut oil!

unicornlady
May 26th, 2015, 01:22 PM
My conditioner has cetrimonium chloride and cetearyl alcohol as first two ingredients! So I'm good to go :D
Good info thanks Larki!

fiabia
June 3rd, 2015, 01:51 PM
I just did my first CO-wash ever, and I'm impressed! I really wanted to try out a new conditioner I just got (Herbal Essences Hello Hydration - I ordered it online, since it's not available in Denmark - The smell was so divine, I just had to have it in my hair NAO haha). I didn't want to shampoo my hair though, since I washed it the day before yesterday, so I thought "meh why not try a CO-wash?", and my hair actually feel so fresh and clean! I was a little bit skeptical to if it would turn out greasy or not, but it feels very clean and nice. Why haven't I tried this before? :D I might switch between CO-wash and sulfate free shampoo now. I guess I'll just have to clarify a bit more, since it is a coney conditioner?

SapphiraSilver
June 6th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Wow I haven't seen Hello Hydration on the market for an extremely long time. Really miss it, I remember the captivating scent. Love it.

julee
June 11th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Wow I haven't seen Hello Hydration on the market for an extremely long time. Really miss it, I remember the captivating scent. Love it.

I think I may have seen it recently in Coles or Woolies, not 100% sure though.

Well I'm back to CO after 6 months of S&C, been nearly two months since I started again. Why did I ever give it up? I know I'm preaching to the converted but my hair is so much easier to manage, so simple only having to remember to buy one hair product, and if I let it air dry carefully I can have nice wurls instead of unmanageable frizz!

tigress86
June 11th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I'm back to mostly CO as well, because I found a conditioner that works perfectly for this purpose. It is so hard to find a conditioner over here that is cone and protein free and reasonably priced. I swear, they put either silicones or proteins in everything and that does not work for me in a co-washing product. The product I am now using looks like this. I have only seen it in one store so far so I bought like 5 bottles incase they stop selling it.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2gxo08p.jpg

Dacia
June 11th, 2015, 03:36 PM

The new lowpoo from Yves Rocher might worth a try: https://www.google.com/search?q=Cr%C3%A8me+Lavante+D%C3%A9licate+Low+Sham Poo++Yves+Rocher&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI7OqEtMuIxgIVypzbCh1peAAF

INCI: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-M_0ElfouPF8/VR__nytXGnI/AAAAAAAABKw/WNJvU9VF13g/s1600/DSC00639.JPG

Lady Sparkleloc
June 11th, 2015, 07:15 PM
I have been using the cleansing conditioner from Herbal Essences naked line and I love it!

Lady Sparkleloc
June 11th, 2015, 07:19 PM
It is paraben and sulfate free and has essential oil, my hair really loves it. Has anyone else tried this?

fiabia
June 12th, 2015, 07:14 AM

I bought in online from the Boots international store. Shipping was quite expensive, but this conditioner is really really cheap compared to the ones we have in Denmark, so I 'bulked up' on it, so it's worth it. So yeah, you could check Boots online, if you'd like to purchase it!

lapushka
June 12th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'm back to mostly CO as well, because I found a conditioner that works perfectly for this purpose. It is so hard to find a conditioner over here that is cone and protein free and reasonably priced. I swear, they put either silicones or proteins in everything and that does not work for me in a co-washing product. The product I am now using looks like this. I have only seen it in one store so far so I bought like 5 bottles incase they stop selling it.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2gxo08p.jpg

I think over here it's in our local discount store (called "Action"). I've seen it before; I think it was on their site a while ago.

vpatt
June 16th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I tried washing with conditioner for the first time this morning. My hair looks really gross. So what do I need to change? I washed and conditioned with Trader Joe's conditioner.....it is the mint, eucalyptus and tea tree oil one. I rinsed with cold water, but I didn't have my vinegar with me....I'm on vacation. So I am going to have to use my daughter's shampoo, I guess. I think she has a suave shampoo. My hair feels...not too bad.....but looks very lank and limp.

ravenheather
June 16th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Couple things come to mind. You need to massage well with co and rinse really well. Also water hardness is a factor. Might work better at home. Also finding the conditioner your hair likes. Although trader Joe's works well on my fine limp hair. It is actually my second choice conditioner. My first is As I Am coconut co wash. It rinse as well as shampoo for me.

vpatt
June 16th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Couple things come to mind. You need to massage well with co and rinse really well. Also water hardness is a factor. Might work better at home. Also finding the conditioner your hair likes. Although trader Joe's works well on my fine limp hair. It is actually my second choice conditioner. My first is As I Am coconut co wash. It rinse as well as shampoo for me.

Ravenfeather, thank you. I saw As I Am on Amazon. I thought of the water difference.....and it is very humid here at the beach....but pretty humid at home, too.I tried to clean and rinse good, but maybe I didn't do good enough. I think I'm gonna try mixing a bit of shampoo with the conditioner.

Lapushka, I searched for the Coconut Care online but did not find it.

arelrios
June 16th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Ok guys, as some have read, I posted about having issues with my scalp lately. Lots of white bits left after washing, itchiness and most importantly, lots of white flakes especially around my hair line (widow's peak to be more specific)...

So, in my search of relief, I went and bought some sheamoisture black african soap shampoo and got great results... Specially when followed by COing with VO5... But, it turned out that in the second day after wash, I would still get the white flakes...

In one of the threads, I read Artic's advise (I think she was the one that gave it) how applying some aloe vera gel can actually help the scalp... And thought... Let's try that... Maybe my scalp needs moisture... after I did it I noticed a good difference on my hairline, but still I wanted to get to the root of the problem...

I thought... What am I doing different? Why are my flakes so dry when first, I didnt have any and second, I would get sebum, no dry flaky stuff... And I noticed that I've deluting my conditioner waaaaay too much... Yes, it foams better but I think my scalp likes the conditioner a bit less undiluted... And maybe it doesn't like shampoo at all ...

So I've been COing with full stregth VO5 kiwi-lime and nothing more on my scalp, ROOM and LOC.

My scalp feels better... I think i have to continue the routine so I can go back to my happy state pre-craziness ... The flakes are gone and the itchiness is minor... Perhaps I need to CO with a more moisturazing conditioner... Dunno... But for now I will continue with what has worked...

So, that was my experience in the last few weeks... Just thought I should share in case someone is experimenting something similar ...

ravenheather
June 16th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Vpatt It's not the humidity its the hardness of the water.

vpatt
June 16th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Ok. I couldn't help but think of humidity as it is 100+ here. My water at home is probably medium. Cuz soap lathers good. We used to have well water and would have to add Calgon to get any suds in the laundry. And my friend (I showered at her house once) has a water softening system and you feel like you can never get the soap suds off in the shower. So I added a bit of shampoo to the conditioner this time....and I'm not gonna worry much til I get home and then more experimentation will take place. I have the Spa conditioner from Trader Joe's to try and maybe I will try the As I Am.

Our hair seems similar.

1.5 hrs later the shampoo mixed with conditioner cleaned my hair.

And it is amazingly smooth. But I hate to use ingredients that I cannot identify. Sigh.

vpatt
June 16th, 2015, 01:10 PM

Ok. I couldn't help but think of humidity as it is 100+ here. My water at home is probably medium. Cuz soap lathers good. We used to have well water and would have to add Calgon to get any suds in the laundry. And my friend (I showered at her house once) has a water softening system and you feel like you can never get the soap suds off in the shower. So I added a bit of shampoo to the conditioner this time....and I'm not gonna worry much til I get home and then more experimentation will take place. I have the Spa conditioner from Trader Joe's to try and maybe I will try the As I Am.

vpatt
June 16th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Sorry, double post.

lapushka
June 18th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Lapushka, I searched for the Coconut Care online but did not find it.

I'm afraid it's a EU thing exclusively and something for discount stores (in my region anyway). :)

tigress86
June 19th, 2015, 03:00 AM
As much as I like the Coconut Care conditioner (it is very light and runny, I like that in a co-wash) it seemed to be too light and not nourishing enough for my ends. So I got another conditoner for the ends. After I co-wash with the Coconut Care conditioner, I rinse and apply the second conditoner on my ends only. I'm using Garnier Ultra Doux Honey Treasures on the ends. This combo seems to work well and I hope I can stick with this for a while without adjusting my routine again.

lapushka
June 19th, 2015, 11:45 AM
As much as I like the Coconut Care conditioner (it is very light and runny, I like that in a co-wash) it seemed to be too light and not nourishing enough for my ends.

I'm in Belgium and this conditioner was at our local "Action" store. Where in the EU are you, exactly, if you don't mind me asking? :)

kurlywurlygurl
June 24th, 2015, 10:38 AM
GRU I love your hair! I'm growing out the curls and you have hair very similiar to mine... I'm worried about the whole layers/weight thing with curl elongation. I had my mom trim my length via Faye's method a few days ago. I get devacuts so I'm going to have a lot of shorter pieces that I'm just going to handle one by one though. How do you get your trimmed/cut? It looks like you still have layers but they're just much much longer.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here likes Tresemme Naturals? On naturallycurly.com a lot of people love the stuff and I have some too... I'm also thinking of trying out V05 and Suave Naturals again. How often do you wash your hair? I personally love Shea Moisture and Kinky Curly. I've got some Curl Junkie products left over that I'm using too. All of these products are CG approved and silicone free. I'm definitely not a cone head and I've steered clear since like 2007 but there have been some accidents lol. Nice to meet everyone, you all have such beautiful hair! :)

alexis917
June 24th, 2015, 10:53 AM
I love Tresemme Naturals, but I have only used the old formula. Apparently they revamped it.

luxurioushair
June 24th, 2015, 12:21 PM
I like Alberto V05 so much. Smells great and my hair loves it. Sometimes a cheap product can work surprisingly well!

kurlywurlygurl
June 24th, 2015, 12:31 PM
alexis917 The did change the formula and I actually have the newer one now. It isn't drastically different but it was a dealbreaker for some. I'm actually going to have to steer clear of Suave, V05, and Tresemme Naturals once I'm done because I'm trying to buy vegan/cruelty free hair products from here on out. It'll probably be a challenge but I'm going to work on it.

luxurioushair I agree, sometimes "cheap" products can work surpringly well. Some high end products are great too but I think the cheaper and more watery products definitely worked for me. Not to mention, that it's only reasonable with the way I use conditioner lol.

Aderyn
June 24th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I'm not a regular CO-washer, I just do it periodically when I want to use up a conditioner, experiment or just switch things up a bit. For the past couple of weeks I've been using Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser conditioner (orange bottle) as a cone-free cowash (I don't know if every formulation is cone-free). I haven't had an increase in shedding, it isn't too greasy, no flakiness on my scalp and my hair looks/feels really nice after air drying. :)

I haven't had good luck with Tresemme in general, my scalp is always flaky whenever I use Tresemme. Suave is a bit better for the flakiness, but still flaky. I haven't used VO5, though I have a couple of bottles lying around.

I refuse to use salon products on my hair anymore, if I want something that is organic, natural, etc. I'm going to go to a local natural grocer to get that, not a salon. Not to mention that is cheaper. However, I'm happy with Shea Moisture products, nice ingredients, very moisturizing, cruelty free and drug-store ($11/per bottle that last a long time, but you can definitely wait for BOGO sales or the like at drugstores).

jeanniet
June 24th, 2015, 01:18 PM
People who used the old formula Tresemme Naturals tend to hate the new formula, but people who hadn't used it before seem to like it a lot. I haven't tried the new one because Suave works better for me, but at some point I'll probably get some for my son (we had a bunch of the old formula and he's on the last bottle) and maybe I'll try it then.

tigress86
June 25th, 2015, 01:15 AM
I'm in Belgium and this conditioner was at our local "Action" store. Where in the EU are you, exactly, if you don't mind me asking? :)

I'm in Estonia. This conditioner just suddenly appeared in one of our largest chain stores.

lapushka
June 25th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I'm in Estonia. This conditioner just suddenly appeared in one of our largest chain stores.

Quite a way to travel all the way here, or there. :lol: :D

kurlywurlygurl
June 25th, 2015, 01:01 PM
jeanniet That's what I've noticed too. Let me know what you think of it. ;)

jupiterinleo
June 26th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Does anyone here know/use any low-fragrance conditioners? Ones that don't smell very strong or have fragrance listed lower in the ingredients? I really like CO but the high amount of fragrance really irritates my skin, specifically brands like V05 and whatnot. I might make a separate thread about it as there are very few posts about the topic to begin with.

kurlywurlygurl
June 27th, 2015, 01:01 AM
jupiterinleo Have you tried this one: https://www.desertessence.com/store/fragrance-free-conditioner?

I'm looking for vegan conditioners that are silicone free. I used Shea Moisture but since I won't be using Tresemme Naturals/Suave/V05 anymore I need some of that larger sized conditioner that I slather on. I've used Giovanni in the past but I've heard there was an ingredient change with that too. Yes to Carrots has honey so I won't roll with that either lol. I would really appreciate suggestions, I may have to post a separate thread because the ones I found are from like 2012. I think things have certainly changed. I'm not sure how it all works but am I supposed to like "reawaken" old threads? Thanks :)

jupiterinleo
June 27th, 2015, 02:15 PM
jupiterinleo Have you tried this one: https://www.desertessence.com/store/fragrance-free-conditioner?

I'm looking for vegan conditioners that are silicone free. I used Shea Moisture but since I won't be using Tresemme Naturals/Suave/V05 anymore I need some of that larger sized conditioner that I slather on. I've used Giovanni in the past but I've heard there was an ingredient change with that too. Yes to Carrots has honey so I won't roll with that either lol. I would really appreciate suggestions, I may have to post a separate thread because the ones I found are from like 2012. I think things have certainly changed. I'm not sure how it all works but am I supposed to like "reawaken" old threads? Thanks :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look out for that.
Have you looked at the generic Whole Foods 365 line? They have really decent products that are cheap. I've never looked/used the conditioner so I'm not totally sure what's in them but I'm pretty sure they are at least 'cone-free, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were vegan as well.

kurlywurlygurl
June 27th, 2015, 03:58 PM
jupiterinleo Definitely check it out, I've seen it before but never tried it myself so I hope it's what you are looking for. Unfortunately, I don't have a Whole Foods near me. I might have to check it out because apparently the university I'm going to soon has a Whole Foods near it! Hopefully, someone else can contribute too. :)

Alien Girl
June 27th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Just bought some REALLLLYYY cheap conditioner by V05. I bought a cucumber one and a strawberry one. They smell SO GOOD! My bf recommended them to me and so far my hair feels SO soft. I mixed some with purple dye and did a deep conditioning and toning treatment and my hair feels really smooth.
One bottle only cost about $1.27 at CVS. I bet it's cheaper at Walmart.

Since I've recently bleached my hair, I think I will be CO washing for a while to prep for my next bleaching session.

GRU
June 28th, 2015, 07:02 AM
GRU I love your hair! I'm growing out the curls and you have hair very similiar to mine... I'm worried about the whole layers/weight thing with curl elongation. I had my mom trim my length via Faye's method a few days ago. I get devacuts so I'm going to have a lot of shorter pieces that I'm just going to handle one by one though. How do you get your trimmed/cut? It looks like you still have layers but they're just much much longer.

I don't really have intentional layers -- the area around my face is just shorter due to excess wear and tear. Other than that, everything is the same length.

When I dry my hair, I usually clip up the upper half so that it's kind of loose on top of my head so that the curls get a chance to set without gravity pulling them down.

As for trimming, I'm pretty low-tech -- I make a low ponytail, drag the elastic down towards the ends, and then just whack off everything on the other side of the elastic. With curly hair, there's no need to be super-accurate, because every hair is going to be in a different place every day anyway.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here likes Tresemme Naturals? On naturallycurly.com a lot of people love the stuff and I have some too... I'm also thinking of trying out V05 and Suave Naturals again. How often do you wash your hair? I personally love Shea Moisture and Kinky Curly. I've got some Curl Junkie products left over that I'm using too. All of these products are CG approved and silicone free. I'm definitely not a cone head and I've steered clear since like 2007 but there have been some accidents lol. Nice to meet everyone, you all have such beautiful hair! :)

I use both Suave Naturals and Tresemme Naturals with good results. I dilute both significantly and get excellent sudsing action, particularly when I brush it through with a Tangle Teezer.

kurlywurlygurl
June 28th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Alien Girl Check out V05 at your dollar store! They have way more scents to choose from. My favorite used to be Tea Therapy and Free Me Freesia! I think you'll really enjoy them. :)
GRU I'm going to try clipping my hair and it's interesting how that happens with your hair. Do you wear your hair mostly down? I got spin pins and they actually hold my hair up easily! I wear my hair up mostly down but I keep hearing about how wearing it up is really good. My hair isn't the best in braids just yet but I can kinda do a cinnabun that isn't long enough to wrap around a lot with the spin pins lol.

It's funny how you say that about trimming because I just had my mom do that to my hair earlier this week, I think it's perfect because it's cheap and in your control as to how much you cut etc. I agree, I think since we have curly hair it hides things well and is very forgiving in that sense.

How often do you wash? Do you only use conditioner to style exclusively via your leave in? I find I do the best with low maintenance techniques too. It's like the less I do, the better it looks and feels.

GRU
June 28th, 2015, 05:48 PM
GRU I'm going to try clipping my hair and it's interesting how that happens with your hair. Do you wear your hair mostly down? I got spin pins and they actually hold my hair up easily! I wear my hair up mostly down but I keep hearing about how wearing it up is really good. My hair isn't the best in braids just yet but I can kinda do a cinnabun that isn't long enough to wrap around a lot with the spin pins lol.

I only wear my hair down on days I washed it, because the curls get all funky after sleeping on them (I will sometimes wear a ponytail on Day Two). I'd say that 98% of the time when I wear it up, I use a hairstick -- I can put the whole thing up in under ten seconds with a stick, and I'm super-lazy. But I do love Spin Pins, too, and use them when I don't want a stick to show.

How often do you wash? Do you only use conditioner to style exclusively via your leave in? I find I do the best with low maintenance techniques too. It's like the less I do, the better it looks and feels.

I wash anywhere from 2-5 times a week, usually more like 2-3. I sometimes will use some oil or aloe vera gel along with my leave-in conditioner (which is usually just my regular washing conditioner rather than a separate product).

I avoid any kind of mineral oil (which hides in many products under the name Paraffinum Liquidum) because I find it coats my hair and doesn't wash out well with CO-washing (and I only shampoo once a year or so), and I avoid all silicone products, obviously. I've gone very minimalistic when it comes to my haircare routine... I tried everything under the sun when I first joined LHC, but I just don't have the time to goof around with so many potions and such -- I'm lazy, remember? :lol:

kurlywurlygurl
June 28th, 2015, 09:57 PM
I only wear my hair down on days I washed it, because the curls get all funky after sleeping on them (I will sometimes wear a ponytail on Day Two). I'd say that 98% of the time when I wear it up, I use a hairstick -- I can put the whole thing up in under ten seconds with a stick, and I'm super-lazy. But I do love Spin Pins, too, and use them when I don't want a stick to show.

I need to get atleast one real hair stick. I need to get something simple and discrete. I've heard paintbrushes work lol? Or maybe a really well sharpened pencil would be nice if I could get the tip not to snag.

I wash anywhere from 2-5 times a week, usually more like 2-3. I sometimes will use some oil or aloe vera gel along with my leave-in conditioner (which is usually just my regular washing conditioner rather than a separate product).

I like using aloe vera sometimes too but haven't as much as I used to. I do need to get back to using an oil to seal my ends though. I only wash my hair once a week because my hair takes long to dry (I air dry) and I'm also lazy. :)

I avoid any kind of mineral oil (which hides in many products under the name Paraffinum Liquidum) because I find it coats my hair and doesn't wash out well with CO-washing (and I only shampoo once a year or so), and I avoid all silicone products, obviously. I've gone very minimalistic when it comes to my haircare routine... I tried everything under the sun when I first joined LHC, but I just don't have the time to goof around with so many potions and such -- I'm lazy, remember? :lol:

I can't do mineral oil either. I think I'm learning that it's okay for me to just do less and sometimes I really want to do more/learn more but it's rather unnecessary and I always go back to the usual.

I have on last question, how often do you do your diy ponytail holder/wack the ends off hair cut?

Thanks for talking to me, you are so helpful and reassuring. I don't feel as alone and like it is possible to have curly hair that is long/almost one length without looking like a triangle. I guess I just had to see it to believe it lol. :eek:

GRU
June 30th, 2015, 05:34 AM
I can't do mineral oil either. I think I'm learning that it's okay for me to just do less and sometimes I really want to do more/learn more but it's rather unnecessary and I always go back to the usual.

I have on last question, how often do you do your diy ponytail holder/wack the ends off hair cut?

Thanks for talking to me, you are so helpful and reassuring. I don't feel as alone and like it is possible to have curly hair that is long/almost one length without looking like a triangle. I guess I just had to see it to believe it lol. :eek:

I trim the ends every 6-12 months, really based on when the ends are getting all knotty/grabby.

And I'm happy to pass along some of the knowledge that I've gained in my time here on LHC... I can honestly say that my hair would not be as long as it is if I hadn't discovered LHC!

kurlywurlygurl
July 1st, 2015, 09:38 AM
I trim the ends every 6-12 months, really based on when the ends are getting all knotty/grabby.

That is kind of what I do is as well. My hair also gets really tangly and I start shedding more when my ends get like that. How much do you usually take off? Do you use the straight across method? I know some people do the "v" or "u" method but I'm sure they all involve about the same level of lazienss give or take. Also, how much do you take off? I usually take off about half an inch to an inch especially since I cut only that often.

And I'm happy to pass along some of the knowledge that I've gained in my time here on LHC... I can honestly say that my hair would not be as long as it is if I hadn't discovered LHC!

I agree there is so much information on this website. I have learned so much and seeing people's progress really helps too.

arelrios
July 1st, 2015, 10:25 AM
Hello everyone,

I am in the search of a nice moisturizing conditioner. At the moment I'm using VO5 for COing and HE as leave in... But the HE ran out and I'm not 100% happy about VO5...

Any recommndation is greatly appreciated :)

GRU
July 2nd, 2015, 08:47 AM
That is kind of what I do is as well. My hair also gets really tangly and I start shedding more when my ends get like that. How much do you usually take off? Do you use the straight across method? I know some people do the "v" or "u" method but I'm sure they all involve about the same level of lazienss give or take. Also, how much do you take off? I usually take off about half an inch to an inch especially since I cut only that often.

I take off anywhere from one to four inches, just depends on how much is feeling knotty.

GRU
July 2nd, 2015, 08:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I am in the search of a nice moisturizing conditioner. At the moment I'm using VO5 for COing and HE as leave in... But the HE ran out and I'm not 100% happy about VO5...

Any recommndation is greatly appreciated :)

I like Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut and Tresemme Naturals.

Either one, I dilute significantly with water and get good lather from.

Aderyn
July 2nd, 2015, 09:44 AM
Planning on co-washing bi-weekly or tri-weekly for the next couple months or so to use up all of this cone free conditioner I have lying around that won't get any use outside of some really rare occurences.

arelrios
July 2nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
I like Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut and Tresemme Naturals.

Either one, I dilute significantly with water and get good lather from.

Thanks for your input, Gru :)... I will try to find me some sample/travel size to test them out

GRU
July 2nd, 2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your input, Gru :)... I will try to find me some sample/travel size to test them out

I'd actually suggest getting a full-size and trying them for a few times in a row to get a more accurate test out of them. They're both relatively cheap... a "family size" of the Suave runs about $1.50 and the Tresemme is maybe 50-cents more. Even if they don't work out for you, you're not out much money. (This is assuming you're in the USA/Canada. Not sure about availability or cost in other countries.)

Scarlet3636
July 6th, 2015, 05:46 AM

I was looking at the old threads too and looking at the conditioners on line. A lot of reformulations have happened and some that were previously 'cone free, no longer are. I'm still on the hunt for a silicone free conditioner that works well for me and my sensitive scalp. I have a problem with "natural" products because a lot of the essential oils make me flake like crazy. Ever since my Bumble and bumble Leave In/Rinse Out was discontinued, I've been floating around from product to product, and not really happy with the results.

Scarlet3636
July 6th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Someone earlier mentioned Whole Foods 365 line. Here are the conditioner ingredients:

Ingredients:

Aqua (water), behentrimonium chloride, glyceryl stearate, gluconolactone, sodium benzoate, phenethyl alcohol, glyceryl caprylate, polysorbate 60, cetearyl alcohol, glycerin, sodium citrate, stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyllaurylglucosides chloride, aloe barbadensis, panthenol, tocopherol (vitamin e), matricaria recutita (chamomile flower extract).

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/fragrance-free-conditioner

I'm really not liking some of these ingredients. Isn't gluconolactone an exfoliant?

arelrios
July 6th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I'd actually suggest getting a full-size and trying them for a few times in a row to get a more accurate test out of them. They're both relatively cheap... a "family size" of the Suave runs about $1.50 and the Tresemme is maybe 50-cents more. Even if they don't work out for you, you're not out much money. (This is assuming you're in the USA/Canada. Not sure about availability or cost in other countries.)
Thanks again Gru... Yes, I am in the US...

calmyogi
July 14th, 2015, 02:06 PM
I have been reading through this thread over the last couple days. I didn't make it through all of it, but I got about the first ten pages and then a couple of the pages in the 100's so idk if my question has been answered.

I have been co washing for about a month now, two times a week, after a month of water only with miracle water rinses, but the conditioner I have been using is herbal essences and Pantene with more silicone laden leave ins. My hair seems to do well with the silicones. My hair isn't tangly (yet?) or anything. I have set out on this assuming that at some point I'll need to use my neutragena anti residue on, at least, my length at some point to get rid of build up. That hasn't happened yet, though.

So my question is, has anyone else been able to co wash with conditioners full of silicones for long periods of time without any problems? Like eventual dryness and damage to the hair?

I guess I'm holding on to the worry about silicones drying out the hair by building up and not letting moisture into the hair shaft.

gyhaslan
July 14th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I've just starting CO washing last week with Suave naturals coconut, which has some proteins from what I can tell. I bought suave naturals ocean breeze to alternate between the two. I have a few questions.
Is the ocean breeze condish silicone, sulfate, protein free?
I co-wash 5-6 times a week (after workouts), is this a terrible hair sin? I can't imagine not washing my hair after boxing class or 5 miles on the elliptical...
I've been applying the condish directly to my hair, is it supposed to be diluted with water? I wet my hair thoroughly, massage it gently into my roots, work it through my lengths, then do a once-over with a comb before washing out with cool water.
TIA

arelrios
July 14th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks again Gru... Yes, I am in the US...

I got a bottle of suave everlasting sunshine...

GRU
July 14th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I have been reading through this thread over the last couple days. I didn't make it through all of it, but I got about the first ten pages and then a couple of the pages in the 100's so idk if my question has been answered.

I have been co washing for about a month now, two times a week, after a month of water only with miracle water rinses, but the conditioner I have been using is herbal essences and Pantene with more silicone laden leave ins. My hair seems to do well with the silicones. My hair isn't tangly (yet?) or anything. I have set out on this assuming that at some point I'll need to use my neutragena anti residue on, at least, my length at some point to get rid of build up. That hasn't happened yet, though.

So my question is, has anyone else been able to co wash with conditioners full of silicones for long periods of time without any problems? Like eventual dryness and damage to the hair?

I guess I'm holding on to the worry about silicones drying out the hair by building up and not letting moisture into the hair shaft.

I believe that LuxePiggy used to CO-wash with silicone conditioners with no problems. It's more a function of what your hair likes, than anything else.

GRU
July 14th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I've just starting CO washing last week with Suave naturals coconut, which has some proteins from what I can tell. I bought suave naturals ocean breeze to alternate between the two. I have a few questions.
Is the ocean breeze condish silicone, sulfate, protein free?
I co-wash 5-6 times a week (after workouts), is this a terrible hair sin? I can't imagine not washing my hair after boxing class or 5 miles on the elliptical...
I've been applying the condish directly to my hair, is it supposed to be diluted with water? I wet my hair thoroughly, massage it gently into my roots, work it through my lengths, then do a once-over with a comb before washing out with cool water.
TIA

You can compare the product ingredients to this list of proteins: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-used-in-hair-care-products-proteins/ (there are also links to other types of product ingredients on the same page)

Wash as many times as you feel like -- CO-washing is extremely gentle on your hair, so no worries.

I like to dilute my conditioner because I get better coverage, better lathering, and use less product.

Diluting it allows the conditioner to spread along the scalp easily (and that's where the "dirt" is that needs to be removed), and it lathers better for me (I brush the conditioner through with a Tangle Teezer). I put 1-3 ounces of conditioner in a squeeze color applicator bottle and then add enough water to make about 7 ounces (leaving space to shake the solution), then use the pointy nozzle to apply the conditioner directly to my scalp. Once my scalp is covered, I squirt the remaining product along my length.

gyhaslan
July 14th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Gru, that's really helpful.
I might start diluting as well. I'm using quite a bit of condish. Granted, it's 0.99 a bottle but it snowballs when I'm washing so often.

Bunnehlvr22
July 14th, 2015, 04:22 PM
I tried CO for the first time ever today. (I felt brave doing it considering I have oily hair.) It actually looks pretty good and is SO soft. My hair is still frizzy.... though I can't tell if that is frizz or I seem to have random curly strands in my straight/wavy hair and I think that may just be an aspect of my hair I can't change and not frizz. :confused: I'm considering using a silicone conditioner but I'm not entirely sure if I will or not. Decisions, decisions....

calmyogi
July 14th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Thank you gru :)

Lady Sparkleloc
July 18th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Has anyone tried the new Renpure Solutions line at Target? It has a cleaning Conditioner that seems to work really well and smells devine! I'm in love with it and am planning on picking up more bottles today. I plan on using this on my DD's hair too:)

Eichan
July 18th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking of trying CO again (though I will need to do a clarifying shampoo with the state my hair is in after this most recent washing adventure... )

My favorite conditioner is Suave Daily Clarifying but I'm willing to try other scents for some reason. It works great on my fine hair.

I'm,going to try mixing it with Apple cider vinegar (1-2tbsp) and see what happens!

GRU
July 19th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I'm,going to try mixing it with Apple cider vinegar (1-2tbsp) and see what happens!

Just curious, but what is the rationale behind mixing ACV in with the conditioner? I've not heard of that, and I'm curious about the science behind that.

Nothing against ACV -- I use it when rinsing -- I just don't understand the reasoning behind combining it with conditioner to wash.

Eichan
July 19th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Just curious, but what is the rationale behind mixing ACV in with the conditioner? I've not heard of that, and I'm curious about the science behind that.

Nothing against ACV -- I use it when rinsing -- I just don't understand the reasoning behind combining it with conditioner to wash.

Well, whenever I rinse with ACV my hair gets super soft but dark, limp, and oily. But when I rinse with it before conditioning/shampoo bar, my hair is still a bit softer and not gross looking. That being said, I have to wet my hair really well right before putting in conditioner, so a lot of it gets rinsed away prematurely...
I feel like if I try mixing it with my conditioner (and experimenting to find a good ratio) that it will make my hair softer by 1: keeping the ACV on my hair a bit longer and 2: provide a slight clarifying effect. Perhaps the ACV mixed with conditioner my help with the dryness I sometimes get, since it has such a conditioning effect on my hair (in my experience)

Of course this isn't really scientific, just me trying to find a happy medium and a satisfactory routine for my hair (I usually go from cowashing to no wash to shampoo bars and then make my way back). I should be glad that I found a good conditioner series (Suave Naturals and me are tight) but I am always looking for that "Unicorn" routine :)

Eichan
July 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Oops! I accidentally quoted someone else???

... my technology skills are so bad I can't even figure out how that happened.

Edit:
Ha! I fixed it :)

GRU
July 21st, 2015, 05:25 AM
I certainly understand constantly experimenting looking for that Holy Grail routine!

Have you tried white vinegar instead of ACV for rinsing? (And just FYI, vinegar won't clarify.) There's nothing special about ACV versus regular vinegar -- I think most people just prefer the smell of one over the other. Some people (mostly blondes) find that ACV imparts a bit of a reddish tone, so they use white vinegar instead. Plus, white vinegar is cheaper than ACV! ;)

gyhaslan
July 21st, 2015, 09:58 AM
By the way, GRU, I'm loving your suggestion! The applicator bottle and diluting with water is so much easier to distribute through my hair. And I'm definitely using less conditioner so that's good. Thanks again!

GRU
July 21st, 2015, 10:19 AM
By the way, GRU, I'm loving your suggestion! The applicator bottle and diluting with water is so much easier to distribute through my hair. And I'm definitely using less conditioner so that's good. Thanks again!

Yay, glad you've had success with it!

I forgot to pack my applicator bottle when I traveled recently, and it was SUCH a pain to work with full-strength conditioner again... I don't know how I used to do it every day before I discovered my "trick"!!!!

gyhaslan
July 21st, 2015, 12:02 PM
Oh no, that's too bad. Even a small ziploc bag might have helped in a pinch

alexis917
July 29th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I've been CO-washing for a while now, but I'm contemplating getting bangs. Do any of you have a fringe? How are you coping with it? Will I have to resort to a conditioner soak every morning, or should I go back to diluted shampoo?

GRU
July 30th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I've been CO-washing for a while now, but I'm contemplating getting bangs. Do any of you have a fringe? How are you coping with it? Will I have to resort to a conditioner soak every morning, or should I go back to diluted shampoo?

Why would bangs/fringe hair be any different from long hair? :confused:

ravenreed
July 30th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I have bangs/fringe. I CO wash every other day.

MandyBeth
July 30th, 2015, 10:06 PM
My older daughter gets weird hair with vinegar also. Very limp and lanky. Now, citric acid works fine. So just mix a pinch of Fruit Fresh in the water and rinse with that instead.

Younger daughter - erm, nothing seems to subdue The Beast. Ever. 3 cups of oil - why yes, thanks. Now give me more! However, if we don't recondition the length post acid rinse, The Beast blows up. So her routine is...

1 - Saturate hair with water. This can take ages, she's got so stinking much hair!

2 - Work in dilute conditioner

3 - Detangle The Beast, apply more conditioner as needed.

4 - Rinse, rinse and rinse. Mostly to get any gunk off now. Again, it's the dang mass of hair.

5 - Acid rinse, then rinse again.

6 - Apply heavy conditioner and carefully loop it all up with claw clips.

7 - Kid gets off the counter, goes and takes her shower, and gets out.

8 - She wraps the still looped up hair in turbie towel, dries off, gets her pajamas on, puts her towel cape on.

9 - I drop The Beast down and make sure it's mostly going down. Kid lounges around with her hair down.

10 - Twist damp hair up into a pineapple or a few, kid goes to bed.

11 - Am, get kid up, shake out the pineapple, rewet hair if needed, put up for the day.

MandyBeth
July 30th, 2015, 10:22 PM
If I co-wash - I have to use a coney conditioner or my hair turns all kinds of snagging knotted nightmare. My hair is too fine and too dense to do without cones. I'm wavy/wurly, but my hair is short and weighted down.

I have bangs, but since my hair is straight to chin/jaw or so, I can get away with them easily. My youngest, who has the mass amounts of hair also has bangs now. Hers are more piecey and side type than mine, but her curls don't give up for anything so blunt bangs won't work on her.

Trimming - When her hair starts dragging on the floor wet, I cut it back to waist/hips once it dries. That's to knee or so wet. Her hair will never look past classic dry at least as of now, because it drags on the floor when it's wet then. That's not even pulled straight, her hair is still curly wet. Pulled straightish, her hip length hair is a good 3" on the floor. I'm serious when I say she's got massive amounts of hair. Because LHC measurements of 57.5" of hair when one is 49" tall is insane.

gyhaslan
July 31st, 2015, 05:27 AM
Wow, MandyBeth, kudos for her learning hair care so young (I'm assuming she is young).
With all that curly hair that's bigger than she is, I'm totally picturing a Merida situation haha.

*ReiKa*
July 31st, 2015, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about co-washing again from time to time, and I've found a conditioner that is labelled as "cowash conditioner".
It says it's perfect for "textured" hair types (well, I'm a 1c, not exactly a textured one...), in fact the ingredients list is quite rich (it's got castor oil, honey, shea butter, argan oil...).
Do you think this could be too heavy for my hair? it's not expensive though, but I'd be disappointed to use it and have greasy hair... do you think I should just look for a lighter conditioner or give this a try? what are the best characteristics in a co-wash conditioner?

MandyBeth
August 2nd, 2015, 09:43 AM
Adorably Evil Minion is 10 now. It's been a learning curve with her hair for sure. She's starting to be able to do more with her hair on her own, but the issue now is just the sheer amount of hair. Kid needs some more height to help reign in her hair and cutting it any shorter is not an option. She needs the length to help hold the curls down.

Erm. Yeah. If Merida has black, purple and turquoise hair and shoots a cross bow. She's more the evil version and she likes it that way.

Reika - I'd not use that as a washing conditioner, it sounds too heavy. Thin, runny stuff works better. Then dilute it out further. We use what Suave or VO5 smells good that day unless the girls get their hair feeling off, more grabby and staying wet longer. Then I over rule the smell rule and use Suave Tropical Coconut which either has protein or acts like it for a few days to fix the off. Once you've washed your hair, you can apply a second heavier conditioner if you need, but I'm a 1C-2C and if I co-wash for a few days, I can't use anything too heavy or my hair goes lank. Older daughter is similar, younger daughter needs the heavy conditioner or else. But she's full on extremely tight 3C. She's got coffee stirrers diameter curls going on, her largest diameter is pen. And the individual curls, each spiral around stacks up directly on the prior one or overlaps it. So attempts at weighting her hair down aren't going to end in disaster. Granted, her hair is that curly with heavy conditioner. If we skip it, erm. Yeah, we won't go there. It's like she brushed out dry curls, then stuck her finger in a light socket.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2015, 09:53 AM
Reika - I'd not use that as a washing conditioner, it sounds too heavy.

Yes, I agree! Something like Suave (I hear about that all the time).

*ReiKa*
August 2nd, 2015, 05:22 PM
Thank you, I do have a runny conditioner that I've been using only for WCC (and I don't like as the first conditioner either), so even better, don't need to buy one! ;)

MandyBeth
August 2nd, 2015, 10:50 PM
The washing conditioner is just to loosen up the gunk on the hair and scalp, plus detangling.

Older daughter can tangle wise skip a day. But teenage oil slick means she's not skipping one at all right now. She uses dilute conditioner to wash her scalp, then the same conditioner not diluted to detangle/add moisture. Which works well for her looser, soft curl pattern.

Younger daughter can not skip a day in detangling. If we do it daily, her harder, compact curls don't tangle horribly, they stack up too tight to snarl with neighbors. But, skip a day and the individual curls start to loc up, thus fluff up a bit, so they try to loc with neighbors. Which becomes a nightmare to detangle. So I wash and detangle her with the dilute conditioner, hit any snarls with extra, then do the rinsing and heavy conditioner which helps add some slip and moisture - Biolage Conditioning Balm is like Teflon as far as we've found and works nicely for her.

Neither girl does detangling on dry hair. That's just asking for problems. I figure older will eventually be able to go to less frequent washing. Younger, not unless that curl pattern decides to relax a lot.

Gamma Vector
August 4th, 2015, 02:13 AM
I just switched from using a sulfate-free shampoo and no 'cones to full on CO washing. Expected my big loose spiral curls to get curlier. Nope. What I got was s-waves. I'm really hoping this is just a shock phase, because I am not loving it.

On the plus side, my hair feels awesome.

*ReiKa*
August 5th, 2015, 01:50 PM
So, I tried co-washing with that runny conditioner I was talking about.
Calling it a disaster just isn't enough.

First of all, the whole experience was just AWFUL. I'm not even new to co-washing, I did cowash my hair a few times a long time ago (although I added unrefined sugar those times, this time I didn't, I wanted a "raw" cowash) and I never found it pleasant to be honest, but this time it was just so creepy. My hair felt rough and greasy the whole time, and massaging that and feeling the grease under my fingers wasn't the best sensation in the world, trust me on that.
Then, I couldn't stop adding conditioner, I just couldn't, it just never felt enough. That was stressing. I used 4 times the amount I normally use.
And I massaged and massaged and massaged for so long that my arms died at some point.
Left it a few minutes and rinsed.
My hair is not even a bit cleaner than before, nope, nothing, just plain dirty. And also, it's taking AGES to dry, I always use a hair dryer and now, with the same amount of time that it usually takes to dry up all my hair, I only managed to slightly dry my roots. I'm sitting here with bunned wet hair and I NEVER do this.
My hair just feels and looks gross.
I'm so shocked that I don't think that I wanna try this again, not even with a different conditioner.
Thankfully I'm not meeting anyone today or tomorrow, I just wish I hadn't bothered to try since my hair is just as dirty as it was before, maybe even greasier.

GRU
August 6th, 2015, 07:38 AM
So, I tried co-washing with that runny conditioner I was talking about.
Calling it a disaster just isn't enough.

First of all, the whole experience was just AWFUL. I'm not even new to co-washing, I did cowash my hair a few times a long time ago (although I added unrefined sugar those times, this time I didn't, I wanted a "raw" cowash) and I never found it pleasant to be honest, but this time it was just so creepy. My hair felt rough and greasy the whole time, and massaging that and feeling the grease under my fingers wasn't the best sensation in the world, trust me on that.
Then, I couldn't stop adding conditioner, I just couldn't, it just never felt enough. That was stressing. I used 4 times the amount I normally use.
And I massaged and massaged and massaged for so long that my arms died at some point.
Left it a few minutes and rinsed.
My hair is not even a bit cleaner than before, nope, nothing, just plain dirty. And also, it's taking AGES to dry, I always use a hair dryer and now, with the same amount of time that it usually takes to dry up all my hair, I only managed to slightly dry my roots. I'm sitting here with bunned wet hair and I NEVER do this.
I'm so shocked that I don't think that I wanna try this again, not even with a different conditioner.
Thankfully I'm not meeting anyone today or tomorrow, I just wish I hadn't bothered to try since my hair is just as dirty as it was before, maybe even greasier.

What the heck was IN that conditioner???

I've never had ANY type of experience like this with CO-wash. Sounds like you just have a horrid product, honestly. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but please don't think that CO-washing is always like this. This is definitely a non-typical experience!

gyhaslan
August 6th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I just started co-washing since last month and this hasn't happened to me. My hair is soft, clean, shiny. I use Suave Naturals, alternating between coconut, ocean breeze, and rain forest fresh. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this :-/

lapushka
August 6th, 2015, 08:34 AM

That's basically why I don't CO-wash either. It just is bad for the SD if I don't get my scalp clean, and this is just not cleansing enough.

*ReiKa*
August 6th, 2015, 09:17 AM
That is definitely a horrid conditioner, I have talked about it even on the WCC thread, it's just so bad, from now on my hair won't even see a drop of it, I'll use it for shaving my legs.

I've considered co-washing my hair again because I'd love to add one more wash during the week (currently two a week), I already use both SLS and SLS-free shampoos but I thought I'd give my hair a rest from properly shampooing it and instead co-wash it on this third wash.
I don't know.... if I find a very light runny conditioner then I'll consider trying again.
Any UKers can give me some advice on this? Cos Suave doesn't get sold here.

GRU
August 6th, 2015, 12:36 PM
That's basically why I don't CO-wash either. It just is bad for the SD if I don't get my scalp clean, and this is just not cleansing enough.

My SD loves CO-washing... using shampoo tends to make my scalp mad and increases my SD lesions. But yes, SD does require proper cleaning -- fortunately, I'm able to get that with CO-washing with a suitable conditioner.

I don't know.... if I find a very light runny conditioner then I'll consider trying again.

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a light/runny conditioner in order to CO-wash... you can take any conditioner and add water to it. I do use Suave, but even then I dilute it approximately 1:4 with water (one part conditioner to four parts water). I also use my Tangle Teezer to brush through the conditioner -- it detangles the hair while also distributing and "foaming up" the conditioner.

lapushka
August 6th, 2015, 04:27 PM
My SD loves CO-washing... using shampoo tends to make my scalp mad and increases my SD lesions. But yes, SD does require proper cleaning -- fortunately, I'm able to get that with CO-washing with a suitable conditioner.

That's great to hear. I gave it plenty of chances. Thought my scalp needed to adjust, washed more frequently even. But no. It's just not for me. I'm sad, though, because I don't particularly like washing with harsh sulfates, but hey, it is what it is... all about what the hair wants! ;) :)

GRU
August 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM
That's great to hear. I gave it plenty of chances. Thought my scalp needed to adjust, washed more frequently even. But no. It's just not for me. I'm sad, though, because I don't particularly like washing with harsh sulfates, but hey, it is what it is... all about what the hair wants! ;) :)

Yep, just another example of how there is no "one best" product / procedure / technique.... every head of hair is unique!

MandyBeth
August 6th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Yeah, if I CO wash, I am full on curly. But my scalp is a painful, bleeding mess. And CO wash is far less evil than shampoo bars.

Thus, I use sulfate shampoo and break out the heavy conditioner and silicone to get hair to behave. Because I can have a happy scalp and temperamental hair that can submit to behaving. Or I can have decent hair and my scalp riots, so my hair looks worse then I get massive shedding and well bloody sores aren't attractive. I can't get both to behave at the same time.

smileygirl79
August 13th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Hello CO washers! I'm just jumping over from the WO thread -- I need a gentler/less mechanical hair washing solution, and so I'm hoping CO washing is it! I just did my first ever CO wash yesterday with VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea, diluted in water. So, I'm interested in tips for success and things to avoid.

(My history: I've been WO for 4 months, but finally decided to give up on it due to recent hair loss. My guess is that I was doing too much scrubbing with my finger pads under warm water to get rid of my persistent WO hair greasiness. I used homemade "deep conditioners" occasionally -- egg yolks/aloe/honey -- but my scalp and hair never seemed to settle in well with the WO routine.)

So far, pretty good. My hair feels so much softer and silkier - and cleaner - though my scalp feels a little itchy/irritated today. My scalp really needs "cleaning" though (so greasy!), so I hate to use CO only on my length. Is an itchy scalp normal after starting CO? Or maybe because I just quit WO, so it's not used to this much cleansing (even diluted)?

Please let me know your thoughts on that, and CO tips. Thanks! :)

GRU
August 13th, 2015, 07:01 PM

In addition to diluting (roughly 1 part conditioner to 3 parts water.... very roughly, I don't measure anything), I also use a squeeze bottle with a pointy nozzle to apply the solution directly to my scalp, plus I brush through with a Tangle Teezer brush.

The TT does a great job of "lathering up" the conditioner and lifting away any debris without causing excessive mechanical wear and tear on my hair.

Pat Wright
August 13th, 2015, 07:36 PM
In addition to diluting (roughly 1 part conditioner to 3 parts water.... very roughly, I don't measure anything), I also use a squeeze bottle with a pointy nozzle to apply the solution directly to my scalp, plus I brush through with a Tangle Teezer brush.

The TT does a great job of "lathering up" the conditioner and lifting away any debris without causing excessive mechanical wear and tear on my hair.
Good idea! I've just been working it into my hair. Must try!

tigress86
August 14th, 2015, 05:17 AM
I got my first ever product that is specifically meant for co-washing, instead of a regular conditioner. I colored my hair with a deposit only color and I want it to last as long as possible so I got this product: http://www.alteregoitaly.com/en/products/care/nourishing/color-care/absolute-color-balm/
So far I like it, it gets the scalp clean with less effort than my regular conditioner.

julee
August 14th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Hello CO washers! I'm just jumping over from the WO thread -- I need a gentler/less mechanical hair washing solution, and so I'm hoping CO washing is it! I just did my first ever CO wash yesterday with VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea, diluted in water. So, I'm interested in tips for success and things to avoid.

(My history: I've been WO for 4 months, but finally decided to give up on it due to recent hair loss. My guess is that I was doing too much scrubbing with my finger pads under warm water to get rid of my persistent WO hair greasiness. I used homemade "deep conditioners" occasionally -- egg yolks/aloe/honey -- but my scalp and hair never seemed to settle in well with the WO routine.)

So far, pretty good. My hair feels so much softer and silkier - and cleaner - though my scalp feels a little itchy/irritated today. My scalp really needs "cleaning" though (so greasy!), so I hate to use CO only on my length. Is an itchy scalp normal after starting CO? Or maybe because I just quit WO, so it's not used to this much cleansing (even diluted)?

My scalp has been a bit itchy lately, a bit confusing because I've done CO for almost 2 years with a 4ish month hiatus in the middle. So I changed up my conditioner and dropped the temperature of the shower to just lukewarm, which has helped so far. I was using Tresemme Perfectly unDone and now I'm using Ecostore.

lapushka
August 14th, 2015, 11:06 AM

Just an FYI and possible warning for you. If you notice equal amounts or more shedding than you did with WO, then CO-washing probably isn't for you either. There are people out there who shed *buckets* from CO-washing, but others who are just fine with it. So keep an eye out for that. :)

LauraAlaina
August 14th, 2015, 08:13 PM
This type of haircare is very fascinating for me. From a stylists stand-point I can't really see how conditoner would "cleanse" it doesn't have any cleaning agents in it. It is solely for the purpose of conditioning, but I think I'll try it a couple of times!!

jeanniet
August 14th, 2015, 08:22 PM
There are actually mild surfactants in many conditioners. Don't ask me to tell you which ingredients, because I can never remember, but if you add water to a conditioner like Suave and shake it up, you'll get foam. Conditioner is generally considered to be better at removing oil than shampoo.

sarahthegemini
August 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM
This type of haircare is very fascinating for me. From a stylists stand-point I can't really see how conditoner would "cleanse" it doesn't have any cleaning agents in it. It is solely for the purpose of conditioning, but I think I'll try it a couple of times!!

Yes, it does.

lapushka
August 15th, 2015, 03:31 PM

Even though it doesn't have surfactants, it does cleanse pretty well. I can't use it because I have seborrheic dermatitis and oily scalp and *really* need something very cleansing, so I need the sulfates, but not everyone does!

LauraAlaina
August 16th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Yall, my hair feels so amazing I can't believe I haven't tried this before. So I did some research, apparently yes! you all are right, it does have some cleansing agents in it, just not as strong as shampoo. Honestly, I usually wash my hair every other day with shampoo & conditioner, but this past week I've only co-washed it 2 times and it feels amazing, I can't wait to see the results in a month!
I also can't wait to reccomend it to some of my dry-haired clients.

GRU
August 17th, 2015, 09:00 AM

Yall, my hair feels so amazing I can't believe I haven't tried this before. So I did some research, apparently yes! you all are right, it does have some cleansing agents in it, just not as strong as shampoo. Honestly, I usually wash my hair every other day with shampoo & conditioner, but this past week I've only co-washed it 2 times and it feels amazing, I can't wait to see the results in a month!
I also can't wait to reccomend it to some of my dry-haired clients.

And now you know why so many of us here roll our eyes when "professionals" tell us how they know sooooooo much about hair care because they went to cosmetology school and have a license. Beauty schools serve a purpose, but they ALSO need to keep beauticians in business, and product manufacturers also have a selfish need to keep people buying more and more of their products.

If we blindly believe the shampoo companies, we need to lather (with a big handful of shampoo), rinse, and repeat... every single day! As you've now learned, this really effs up our hair's structure, so it's dry and rough and tangly, so we need to buy conditioners, moisture masks, leave-in conditioners, serums, yada yada yada, to keep the revenue flowing. We also need to seek professional help at the salon, so we go for deep conditioning treatments and purchase the Professional Brand of Products at the salon, which keeps the stylists in business.

As you can see in my signature photo, I have copious amounts of long curly hair. I spend next to nothing on haircare products. I buy Suave or Tresemme natural conditioner and dilute it to wash (I put an ounce or two in an 8-oz color applicator bottle and add water, then use the nozzle to apply the solution directly to my scalp where the "dirt" that needs to be removed is located), and I use the same product as my leave-in. My hair is in better shape than it has ever been in my 4+ decades on this planet, and longer than it's ever been as a result.

Thank you for being open-minded about this method of hair care, and bless you for passing along this wisdom to your clients with dry hair!

jennyjb
August 17th, 2015, 09:30 AM
That is definitely a horrid conditioner, I have talked about it even on the WCC thread, it's just so bad, from now on my hair won't even see a drop of it, I'll use it for shaving my legs.

I've considered co-washing my hair again because I'd love to add one more wash during the week (currently two a week), I already use both SLS and SLS-free shampoos but I thought I'd give my hair a rest from properly shampooing it and instead co-wash it on this third wash.

I normally use Wilko's own brand apple and tea tree conditioner for CO washing. It's supposed to be for greasy hair so it's very light, and it's cheap too.

*ReiKa*
August 17th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Jennyjb, great, thank you! I 'll definitely look into that!

So yes, conditioners do contain cleansing agents, could you please tell me what kind of agents are we talking about? I mean names on the list...

LauraAlaina
August 17th, 2015, 04:17 PM
And now you know why so many of us here roll our eyes when "professionals" tell us how they know sooooooo much about hair care because they went to cosmetology school and have a license. Beauty schools serve a purpose, but they ALSO need to keep beauticians in business, and product manufacturers also have a selfish need to keep people buying more and more of their products.

That is very insulting to me. You are making it seems like my profession is a scam.

lapushka
August 17th, 2015, 04:26 PM
That is very insulting to me. You are making it seems like my profession is a scam.

I don't think she meant to be insulting! :) :o

GRU
August 18th, 2015, 06:29 AM

Not any more than any other profession.... people need to keep revenue coming in no matter what their profession.

As you hang out here more, you'll see how very many of us have been lied to by beauticians, either intentionally (yes, every profession has bad people in it) or due to the beautician's own lack of knowledge (either due to plain old ignorance or blantant misinformation fed to them by beauty school / the beauty industry).

Do you know how many licensed cosmetologists think that henna is "evil" and tell clients that you can never color or perm your hair if you've ever used it? That is a complete lie, but it's one that the beauty industry likes to perpetuate because they make a LOT of money off of people who want red hair (and red dye is the fastest to fade, so they make even more money off people who want red hair). There is no benefit to the beauty industry if people can get a beautiful red color that will never fade.... so someone started the lies about henna and now they are accepted as "truth".

And then there's the oldie-but-goodie... you have to cut your hair to make it grow faster/better/thicker. WTF?

How about the fact that conditioner can CLEAN your hair and scalp? You went to school specifically to learn about how to care for hair.... did your instructors ever teach you that?

Before being offended at me, maybe you should look at the truth in my statement. And you'll notice that I did commend you for passing along this helpful information to your clients.... there ARE good beauticians in the world, too.

TaterTot
August 18th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Gru :bowtome:
I agree that corporate greed has made the biggest influence toward damaging hyper-cleanliness
and marketing targeting women to feel dirty for existing

PalomaSincera
August 18th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Can i do this even if i do oiling treatment s?

gthlvrmx
August 18th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Can i do this even if i do oiling treatment s?

Yes you can. Conditioners works pretty well in removing oil.

jeanniet
August 19th, 2015, 09:00 AM

GRU is speaking partly from a curly perspective, and to be honest, the cosmetology profession in general has been pretty ignorant of how to handle curly hair. They're just not trained for it. Most of us with curly hair had to deal with "problem" hair for years until we (hopefully) learned how to work with it, because we were deluded into thinking that curly hair can be treated like straight hair. Curly isn't problem hair; it's just not straight. If you put a stylist who doesn't know how to handle curly hair next to one who does, the difference is obvious. And if you look at the ways products have been marketed for curly hair--that is, "bushy, unruly, frizzy, unmanageable" hair--you can see why someone might be bitter once they finally learn that it's not the hair that's been the problem all this time, but the industry.

I've always liked my stylists, but yeah, I'm a little angry that for years none ever said, "Hey, you know I think your hair is a lot more curly than wavy." Obviously they didn't know any more than I did, but they should have. Then I wouldn't have had to fight with my hair so much trying to get it to look "right" and never succeeding. Now that I know how to work with it, it's a relative breeze and I can get "salon results" every time.

*ReiKa*
August 19th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I 'll post my question again cos I am really wanting to know : can you tell me more about the cleansing agents inside conditioners? what's their names in the ingredients list?

DollyDagger
August 19th, 2015, 09:32 AM
I've always liked my stylists, but yeah, I'm a little angry that for years none ever said, "Hey, you know I think your hair is a lot more curly than wavy." Obviously they didn't know any more than I did, but they should have. Then I wouldn't have had to fight with my hair so much trying to get it to look "right" and never succeeding. Now that I know how to work with it, it's a relative breeze and I can get "salon results" every time.

This rings so very true. If only one of the stylists over the years wouldve shown me how to work with rather against my hairs nature/texture.

GRU
August 19th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I 'll post my question again cos I am really wanting to know : can you tell me more about the cleansing agents inside conditioners? what's their names in the ingredients list?

Here is a list various ingredients... look at the subsets of different kinds of surfactants:

INGREDIENTS COMMONLY FOUND IN HAIR-CARE PRODUCTS (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products/)

*ReiKa*
August 19th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Here is a list various ingredients... look at the subsets of different kinds of surfactants:

INGREDIENTS COMMONLY FOUND IN HAIR-CARE PRODUCTS (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products/)

Great link, thanks!

brickworld13
August 19th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Not any more than any other profession.... people need to keep revenue coming in no matter what their profession.

As you hang out here more, you'll see how very many of us have been lied to by beauticians, either intentionally (yes, every profession has bad people in it) or due to the beautician's own lack of knowledge (either due to plain old ignorance or blantant misinformation fed to them by beauty school / the beauty industry).

Do you know how many licensed cosmetologists think that henna is "evil" and tell clients that you can never color or perm your hair if you've ever used it? That is a complete lie, but it's one that the beauty industry likes to perpetuate because they make a LOT of money off of people who want red hair (and red dye is the fastest to fade, so they make even more money off people who want red hair). There is no benefit to the beauty industry if people can get a beautiful red color that will never fade.... so someone started the lies about henna and now they are accepted as "truth".

And then there's the oldie-but-goodie... you have to cut your hair to make it grow faster/better/thicker. WTF?

How about the fact that conditioner can CLEAN your hair and scalp? You went to school specifically to learn about how to care for hair.... did your instructors ever teach you that?

Before being offended at me, maybe you should look at the truth in my statement. And you'll notice that I did commend you for passing along this helpful information to your clients.... there ARE good beauticians in the world, too.

I've definitely run into the aversion to henna quite a few times. I think my favorite tho is wanting to cut off the fairy tale ends because they just must be split. :steam: No, they are uneven. I happen to like them being uneven. They are not split. I wish I could CO, but like lapuska I have scalp issues that stop me.

PalomaSincera
August 20th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Yes you can. Conditioners works pretty well in removing oil.

Wowwww. I'm going to try. Thanks.

smileygirl79
August 20th, 2015, 08:21 AM

GRU--
Thanks for the tips. I am diluting my CO wash per your suggestion; however, I'm going to pass on the tangle teezer now, since I don't own one (and I've read both LOVE and HATE stories about the TT). I've had so much mechanical damage from my recent WO experiment, I just don't want to "chance it" on my fine, thin, already-damaged hair...

Everyone--
My scalp is a little less itchy than a week ago--it's probably still getting used to CO after 4 months of WO--so that's good.
My latest issue is not getting a good, full "cleansing" with the CO. I've been CO washing every-other-day for a week now, and the length looks good (clean, shiny, not lank at all), but if I lift up my dry, combed first-day-clean hair and look at the roots on the sides of my head, they are still a little oily, which becomes obvious when I want to do certain hairstyles and you can see the oil. That's not what I want.

Some questions:
-Is this typical of CO washing (oily roots)? Is it possible to get fully non-oily roots from the CO wash technique?
-Am I not "massaging" enough in the shower, when I CO wash? I am really trying to do away with most *extended scrubbings*, and lots of combing/brushing, just to keep what hair I have, ON my head. :p
-Tips on proper CO cleansing with the most minimalistic mechanical manipulation? (Say that 3 times fast, ha!)

Thanks, everyone!! What an interesting journey, and I love the support from the LHC!

GRU
August 20th, 2015, 09:57 AM
-Is this typical of CO washing (oily roots)? Is it possible to get fully non-oily roots from the CO wash technique?
-Am I not "massaging" enough in the shower, when I CO wash? I am really trying to do away with most *extended scrubbings*, and lots of combing/brushing, just to keep what hair I have, ON my head. :p
-Tips on proper CO cleansing with the most minimalistic mechanical manipulation? (Say that 3 times fast, ha!)

Are you double-washing (lather, rinse, repeat)? You may find that the second round gets that last little layer of oil out.

You can also try different conditioners.... some work better than others for different people.

But to answer your question, yes, you can get totally clean roots with CO-washing.

alexis917
August 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM
As for the most minimal manipulation, I found I got the best cleansing if I put in the conditioner at the beginning of my shower/bath and let it marinate until the very end. Like a treatment! Then I would lather it up juuuust a little (I have this one especially thick area of hair that loves to be a grease ball) and gently run my fingers through to detangle while rinsing.

sarahthegemini
August 24th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I think I might have to stop co-washing :( The manipulation is just too much for my fine, fragile hair. It's such a shame, I love co-washing, it cleans.my hair and leaves it so soft and smooth. But I think I need a cleanser that requires as little hair manipulation as possible, because I have been seeing a lot short (I assume broken) hairs. I've been on this co-wash journey for almost 2 years :(

ieatyanyans
August 24th, 2015, 01:08 PM
i stopped CO washing because of my oily roots issue but i think i'll start again and try this! thanks!

lapushka
August 24th, 2015, 01:23 PM
i stopped CO washing because of my oily roots issue but i think i'll start again and try this! thanks!

If it doesn't work out, then try a different method. There's nothing wrong with no-sulfate or low-sulfate shampooing. I can't CO either and have oily hair as well, on top of that I have seborrheic dermatitis (SD), which is why I need harsher cleansers. I need sulfates, and there's nothing wrong with that either. It's all about what your hair wants, not what you want. Truth!

sarahthegemini
August 25th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Did my first shampoo wash in what feels like a lifetime. Hair feels okay, my waves haven't diminished and the whole wash process was a hell of a lot quicker. Suppose there are advantages to stopping co-washing. I also had a lot less breakage and shedding. Now I've just got to stop the breakage caused by styling :-/ It's hard because nothing but claw clips hold my hair up but my hair gets caught in the hinges, argggghhhh.

gustavonut
August 25th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Hey guys...sorry if this has been asked already but I was wondering if Garnier fructis triple nutrition would work for a (on scalp) CO-mponent. (If that makes sense, ha..) :eyebrows:.. It's basically all I have left at the moment and makes my ends feel wonderfuuuuul when I use it. SO I wonder if it would cleanse my scalp or not...:confused:

DollyDagger
August 25th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I think I might have to stop co-washing :( The manipulation is just too much for my fine, fragile hair. It's such a shame, I love co-washing, it cleans.my hair and leaves it so soft and smooth. But I think I need a cleanser that requires as little hair manipulation as possible, because I have been seeing a lot short (I assume broken) hairs. I've been on this co-wash journey for almost 2 years :(

Doesnt shampooing require around the same amount of manipulation that co washing does?
when i co-wash im probably more gentle then if im shampooing. Your shorter hairs could be just new growth..its not neccisarily breakage. Is your hair chemically treated at all?

sarahthegemini
August 25th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Doesnt shampooing require around the same amount of manipulation that co washing does?
when i co-wash im probably more gentle then if im shampooing. Your shorter hairs could be just new growth..its not neccisarily breakage. Is your hair chemically treated at all?

When I co-wash, I have to really massage whereas with shampoo I can just smooth it on and rinse :) I have no chemical or heat damage, it's just my hair is so stupidly fragile as it's so fine. It feels lovely and silky but pretty much everything breaks it!

DollyDagger
August 25th, 2015, 05:51 PM
When I co-wash, I have to really massage whereas with shampoo I can just smooth it on and rinse :) I have no chemical or heat damage, it's just my hair is so stupidly fragile as it's so fine. It feels lovely and silky but pretty much everything breaks it!

oh ok i see..my hairs fine-ish too. Ive been trying not to scrub or manipulate much whether im CO washing or shampooing. I used to rush like a maniac in the shower..I take my time now :)

Naunnie
August 25th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I have not read through all 895 pages...yet.

I started CWC several months ago and it really has made a difference. I am guilty of not being gentle with my hair and have a lot of damage to heal. I've been considering switching to CO for a while now. My hair is mid thigh. Anyway, we went to Sally's this evening and I found a product called "Coconut Cowash" Cleansing Conditioner, 16oz jar, by As I Am. It was sitting on the counter and on sale. This stuff smells wonderful! I have not used it yet. I will later tonight. However I did use it on my Granddaughters head. Her hair is 1b/m/iii shoulder length. This child is blessed with the thickest I have ever seen!! It takes some real effort and a lot of luck to put her hair in a pony tail. Combing and brushing is a whole other story! She doesn't like washing/conditioning her hair because it takes so much to get it rinsed. Well I followed the directions, used my brand new "Tangle Teaser" to distribute and let it sit for about 10 minutes. She was beaming when she got out of the shower! She said it rinsed out really easy and her scalp felt wonderful! I used the TT on her again and it was like a miracle! Absolutely no tangles! Her hair was still a bit damp when she went to bed, but I could already tell how much better it looked. Very shiny, very soft, not frizzy or greasy looking. It will be interesting to see how her hair looks/feels tomorrow evening, but this CO method may be a major game changer for her.

My question is...has anyone else used this product and what were your results? I realize everyone's hair is different but CO is a new hair care concept for me. I'm off to try it on my hair.

DollyDagger
August 25th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I have not read through all 895 pages...yet.

I started CWC several months ago and it really has made a difference. I am guilty of not being gentle with my hair and have a lot of damage to heal. I've been considering switching to CO for a while now. My hair is mid thigh. Anyway, we went to Sally's this evening and I found a product called "Coconut Cowash" Cleansing Conditioner, 16oz jar, by As I Am. It was sitting on the counter and on sale. This stuff smells wonderful! I have not used it yet. I will later tonight. However I did use it on my Granddaughters head. Her hair is 1b/m/iii shoulder length. This child is blessed with the thickest I have ever seen!! It takes some real effort and a lot of luck to put her hair in a pony tail. Combing and brushing is a whole other story! She doesn't like washing/conditioning her hair because it takes so much to get it rinsed. Well I followed the directions, used my brand new "Tangle Teaser" to distribute and let it sit for about 10 minutes. She was beaming when she got out of the shower! She said it rinsed out really easy and her scalp felt wonderful! I used the TT on her again and it was like a miracle! Absolutely no tangles! Her hair was still a bit damp when she went to bed, but I could already tell how much better it looked. Very shiny, very soft, not frizzy or greasy looking. It will be interesting to see how her hair looks/feels tomorrow evening, but this CO method may be a major game changer for her.

My question is...has anyone else used this product and what were your results? I realize everyone's hair is different but CO is a new hair care concept for me. I'm off to try it on my hair.
Its a great product..get lots of positive reviews from all different hair types. Its known for having great slip and being good for detangling. Ive had it in my rotation and have been pleased with the results everytime ive used it. It leaves hair feeling clean yet not stripped of moisture...smells amazing. I think youll be happy with it and maybe your granddaughter will enjoy using it regularly too. HTH

jeanniet
August 25th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Lol, I like the As I Am but finally had to give it up because (to me) it just reeks too much.

DollyDagger
August 26th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Lol, I like the As I Am but finally had to give it up because (to me) it just reeks too much.

surely you jest.. you dont like coconut ?? hmm, i dont recollect the scent lingering too much ...but ya sometimes coconut scents can be overpowering for some. But i personally love coconut so it doesnt bother me. Only problem is its not readily available here in Canada..much like other faves such as Suave and v05...:steam

GRU
August 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Hey guys...sorry if this has been asked already but I was wondering if Garnier fructis triple nutrition would work for a (on scalp) CO-mponent. (If that makes sense, ha..) :eyebrows:.. It's basically all I have left at the moment and makes my ends feel wonderfuuuuul when I use it. SO I wonder if it would cleanse my scalp or not...:confused:

Pretty much any conditioner can be used for CO-washing. Some work well for some but not for others, and vice versa. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

gustavonut
August 26th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Pretty much any conditioner can be used for CO-washing. Some work well for some but not for others, and vice versa. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

AH, okay, thank you for clearing this up for me finally. Let's see how this goes then. I shall return..! :magic:

jeanniet
August 26th, 2015, 05:00 PM
surely you jest.. you dont like coconut ?? hmm, i dont recollect the scent lingering too much ...but ya sometimes coconut scents can be overpowering for some. But i personally love coconut so it doesnt bother me. Only problem is its not readily available here in Canada..much like other faves such as Suave and v05...:steam

I like coconut; I usually use Suave coconut. The As I Am just smells chemical to me. At first it didn't bother me too much, but it just got worse over time. It's just way too strong.

Naunnie
August 26th, 2015, 06:55 PM
We all love coconut around here, any shape, form or fashion...all 8 of us! We use coconut oil for all kinds of things. I was disappointed the first time I bought the "Spectrum" brand of Organic coconut oil. It has no smell. We then tried the Louann's brand. Never again! It is no where near the same. Kitties will not touch it! You can forget using it on your hair too! The only coconut oil we have found in this tiny town that really smells/tastes of coconut is 'Spring Valley" brand. It's in the vitamins section at Walmart/Ingles. It's a smaller jar and twice the price!
We reserve this brand strickly for oil pulling. This is way TMI but the 2 couples that live here (S/W,D/H) tossed the KY for SV brand.

In regards to this Coconut Cowash....we all love the smell. The Tangerine combined with the coconut smells heavenly to us. The guys said it reminded them of being at the beach. I'll take that any day!! We all the love the beach.

Unfortunately, I have yet to use it myself. Spent the night in the ER with my Mom. She's okay, just had a scary moment with her blood pressure. However....when we got home, i ran to get my Co cowash and TT. I knew my Mom would love it. I didn't actually go by the instructions, but let me tell ya...both was perfect to use as a whole head scalp massage/leave in conditioner. She slept, pressure is normal, and she loves the way her hair/scalp feels when we rinsed it out this afternoon. I've got her interest peaked about the "CO method " now too!! I'm telling ya...this may be a game changer for all of us!

Update for GD...she loved her hair all day at school. Told me she got compliments! A couple of girls wanted to know what she did! Oh! to be a fly on the wall to hear this girl bragging about the folks on LHC! I just love it! Ok not to get sappy....okay yeah..I'm sappy! Ya'll just gotta know...you are helping me make memories here! Ya'll are helping me empower 13 year old girls about their hair! I'll stop now....but that is just AWESOME! I could not do it without this community. I'll say here. I will say it anywhere....thank you , thank you!

julee
August 27th, 2015, 06:01 AM
My scalp has been a bit itchy lately, a bit confusing because I've done CO for almost 2 years with a 4ish month hiatus in the middle. So I changed up my conditioner and dropped the temperature of the shower to just lukewarm, which has helped so far. I was using Tresemme Perfectly unDone and now I'm using Ecostore.

Didn't end up working as well as I'd hoped so I clarified and that did the trick :) I ordered some old Tresseme radiant care online (my HG) so going to go back to that.

lapushka
August 27th, 2015, 07:03 AM

The older formula didn't have silicones, the newer one does. I'd see which one you have first if silicones bother you. It should be fine, though!

Naunnie
August 27th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Julee, I also used Tresemme Perfectly unDone. I used the shampoo and conditioner. I was CWC, with shampoo just on my scalp. I tried it because it's silicone free. I thought I might be having a cone build up. First bottles, my hair did great, so I bought more. Then the itching started! I too was confused because I've never had a problem with sulfates. I stopped the shampoo and just used the conditioner. Still itched. Diluted the conditioner, still itched. I cannot figure out what's in that caused this. I took both bottles to the barn. I'm gonna use them on the horse and goats and will not buy anymore! I started using the Suave Naturals Coconut and have not itched. Today, I'm going to try Coconut Cowash by As I Am and see how it goes.

ravenheather
August 27th, 2015, 09:54 AM
As I am is my favorite co. It rinse as clean as shampoo on my fine slightly oily hair. I am surprised about the smell comments. I tend to have scent sensitivities. This one doesn't bother me at all. My other favorite is trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner.

DollyDagger
August 27th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Julee, I also used Tresemme Perfectly unDone. I used the shampoo and conditioner. I was CWC, with shampoo just on my scalp. I tried it because it's silicone free. I thought I might be having a cone build up. First bottles, my hair did great, so I bought more. Then the itching started! I too was confused because I've never had a problem with sulfates. I stopped the shampoo and just used the conditioner. Still itched. Diluted the conditioner, still itched. I cannot figure out what's in that caused this. I took both bottles to the barn. I'm gonna use them on the horse and goats and will not buy anymore! I started using the Suave Naturals Coconut and have not itched. Today, I'm going to try Coconut Cowash by As I Am and see how it goes.

Just wanted to chime in about my experience with another tresemme product...
You can take my Tresseme naturals aloe and avocado nourishing moisture to your barn too. Actually no.. because your horses and goats probably wont like it either..hehe:)
I bought a huge bottle of this stuff because it gets so many good reveiws and people seem to like it. My scalp really didnt! Everytime ive tried using it I get a burning sensation afterwards...not a nice kind of tingly that you do with giovannis tripple treat but an actual sting-y irritated burny feeling hours later.
I dont know what's in it that's doing that..maybe one of the same ingredients as in your perfectly undone? The smell is so overpowering and it really lingers and it seems to be hiding underlying chemically smell of benzine...lol. I dont know if i should even try salvaging it by adding olive oil or coconut oil or honey or what. :hmm:

Eiderduck
August 27th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Anything that gives you a burning or itching feeling belongs in the bin. Don't keep using it - it's the early sign of an inflammatory or allergic reaction, and those only get worse. I'm allergic to a lot of soaps, some shampoos and deodorants - and it gets worse every use.

DollyDagger
August 27th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Anything that gives you a burning or itching feeling belongs in the bin. Don't keep using it - it's the early sign of an inflammatory or allergic reaction, and those only get worse. I'm allergic to a lot of soaps, some shampoos and deodorants - and it gets worse every use.
Youre right..thnx. its just taking up room. I gave it a couple chances and havent gone near it since. Ill just bin it.

lapushka
August 27th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Youre right..thnx. its just taking up room. I gave it a couple chances and havent gone near it since. Ill just bin it.

You can still use it, just not on your scalp. From ear down should be fine!

DollyDagger
August 27th, 2015, 02:41 PM
You can still use it, just not on your scalp. From ear down should be fine!

Thnx lapushka..Or could be used as a first conditioner too eh...I was actually thinking it would be useful for when I do the zizyphus treatment as ive heard its difficult to rinse out. I can use loads of it..just so long as I dont go near scalp as you say. Im torn..I hate to be wasteful.

lapushka
August 27th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Thnx lapushka..Or could be used as a first conditioner too eh...I was actually thinking it would be useful for when I do the zizyphus treatment as ive heard its difficult to rinse out. I can use loads of it..just so long as I dont go near scalp as you say. Im torn..I hate to be wasteful.

Or you could use it on the very ends, as a leave-in conditioner... if it leaves in well (some conditioners go sticky).

GRU
August 28th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I've donated "doesn't work for me" products to friends/neighbors before, rather than tossing in the trash. At least that way, the money wasn't a complete waste.

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I've donated "doesn't work for me" products to friends/neighbors before, rather than tossing in the trash. At least that way, the money wasn't a complete waste.
i just gave away about 5 huge full bottles of duds to a neighbour not long ago..id love to give her this too but shes gonna think im a nut..lol (why does this girl keep accosting me with castoff conditioners) moms a better bet probably.

ArtificiallyRed
August 29th, 2015, 04:29 AM
Hi! Newbie here :)

I co-washed for the first time last night with the Tresemme Naturals conditioner and I LOVE IT.
My hair is so damn soft and managable.
I'd like to thank this thread because it's been so helpful with method/techniques!! :)

I put the conditioner in my wet hair and then brushed it through with a cheapy plastic vent hair brush then massaged it in until it was foamy. I then rinsed with lukewarm water and put some Garnier Ultimate Blends Colour Conditioner on the ends and rinsed out.

Super soft hair and happy curls :)

julee
August 29th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Sorry to hear it caused itching :( I was just looking at the ingredients of Perfectly unDone and there are two preservatives Methylchloroisothiazolinone, and Methylisothiazolinone which can irritate skin. These two ingredients were never in the old Tresseme Naturals formula (Radiant Care) which is my favourite ever conditioner. It's a shame, because I liked the scent of unDone and my hair liked it, just not my scalp! :) it also seemed to rinse out really well.

Naunnie
August 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks Julee. I think your right about those two ingredients. My research led me to the same conclusion. I will be watching out for them now!! I did use them yesterday on the horses mane and tail. I did not use them on her body just in case....She combed out really nice! :D

Lysanto
September 9th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Hai!

I'm kind of new too! I have been reading (and learning) much at LCH but have never posted yet..

I have tried CO for the first time this week and I think I like it!:) Although, I find it difficult to rinse it all out! My scalp and my ends are clean and soft, but the middle part feels different. Like some product is left there.. Does anyone have the same problem? I am using Desert essence conditioner, red raspberry.

lapushka
September 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I'm kind of new too! I have been reading (and learning) much at LCH but have never posted yet..

I have tried CO for the first time this week and I think I like it!:) Although, I find it difficult to rinse it all out! My scalp and my ends are clean and soft, but the middle part feels different. Like some product is left there.. Does anyone have the same problem? I am using Desert essence conditioner, red raspberry.

It's a matter of distributing it well, and massaging every bit of your scalp well. If that doesn't work out, the method may not be for you.

jeanniet
September 9th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Hai!

Try diluting, about 50/50. That helps both distribution and rinsing.

Ashflower89
September 9th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I really should read through this thread, but its just so long. I started co-washing for the first time a few days ago and I'm just surprised at how not-oily my hair is.

I have a dirty factory job and *have* to wash daily or else the buildup is disgusting. Very excited to see that co-washing can get my scalp just as clean without the harsh stripping of a shampoo.

However.... I'm not using a silicone-free conditioner. Its Honey Im Strong Herbal Essences condish. I'm guessing I'll need to use my old shampoo once a week or so to clarify.

Either way, I'm liking how its going so far =D

ArienEllariel
September 9th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Mm I forgot how much my hair likes CO. I used Strawberry Suave today with some Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition on the ends and man my hair is so soft and happy!

Lysanto
September 10th, 2015, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Does diluted CO still wash out a oil treatment?

GRU
September 10th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Does diluted CO still wash out a oil treatment?

Yes, no problem.

I actually dilute about 30% conditioner / 70% water for every wash (I don't actually measure - I just squirt a big blob of conditioner into an 8-ounce color applicator bottle and fill the rest of the way with water, leaving room to shake it up).

If I've been particularly heavy-handed with the oil, I may do the "lather, rinse, repeat" method with diluted conditioner, just to make sure I got it all out. But I've never had conditioner not remove oil, and many people report that it does a better job than shampoo.

AutobotsAttack
September 11th, 2015, 12:36 AM
I absolutely love the conditioner only washing. I mainly use the Herbal Essences product lines. Its a great method for when im tryinf to keel my nee growth very moisturized. However I experience quite a bit of shrinkage but I dont mind that much.

turtlelover
September 11th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I wondering if daily CO washing would be any more or less damaging than washing every OTHER day with shampoo and conditioner. In the past the CO method could cause some itchy/flaky scalp issues, but I was also only doing it every OTHER day, and not daily. Hmmmm.....

DollyDagger
September 12th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I wondering if daily CO washing would be any more or less damaging than washing every OTHER day with shampoo and conditioner. In the past the CO method could cause some itchy/flaky scalp issues, but I was also only doing it every OTHER day, and not daily. Hmmmm.....
I would imagine that COing everyday would be equal to or perhaps even less drying? than washing every other day...depending on shampoo and conditioner used. You could give it a shot for a week or so and test it out. Let us know how it goes.

lapushka
September 12th, 2015, 12:25 PM

I think you have to be careful with itchy, flaky scalp - anything to make your scalp the happiest is usually *the* best! I have SD (Seborrheic Dermatitis) and CO-washing was a bit of a disaster for me. Itch, not cleansing enough, so I stuck to weekly washing (stretched from washing 2/3 times a week). I found this to be more beneficial. Plus I don't dry out my lengths nearly as bad as with more frequency of washing.

lilin
September 12th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know how much Dimethicone sticks to hair? I am looking for a good conditioner for CO, but it seemed like everything in the store had at least Dimethicone in it!

DollyDagger
September 12th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know how much Dimethicone sticks to hair? I am looking for a good conditioner for CO, but it seemed like everything in the store had at least Dimethicone in it!
Here's a list of water soluable and non-water soluable silicones..be aware of the full name of the particular dimethicone...Dimethicone by itself would be non water soluable. You could try a health food store and might have better luck finding one without silicones.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

lilin
September 13th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Here's a list of water soluable and non-water soluable silicones..be aware of the full name of the particular dimethicone...Dimethicone by itself would be non water soluable. You could try a health food store and might have better luck finding one without silicones.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

Perfect, thanks!

AdaClare
September 20th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I've been COing a lot more often than my usual CWC lately, because I wanted to stretch using shampoo. But, have noticed build up occurring a lot faster, leaving my hair feeling really greasy (especially my scalp, even though I try to only condition from my ears down). I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong...

rosalinda
September 20th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Perfect, thanks!

You could also try Alberta Balsam (UK). I use the coconut. It's cheap, effective, and silicone free.

Think maybe Superdrug and Boots own might be cone free

jeanniet
September 20th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I've been COing a lot more often than my usual CWC lately, because I wanted to stretch using shampoo. But, have noticed build up occurring a lot faster, leaving my hair feeling really greasy (especially my scalp, even though I try to only condition from my ears down). I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong...

How are you washing your scalp if you're not using conditioner on it? Sorry if I misunderstood. Can you explain how you're washing?

AdaClare
September 21st, 2015, 12:38 PM
How are you washing your scalp if you're not using conditioner on it? Sorry if I misunderstood. Can you explain how you're washing?

No worries, sorry I wasn't very clear! Every couple of days I CWC, otherwise I just use water on my scalp. Maybe that's the problem?

sarahthegemini
September 21st, 2015, 01:52 PM

Superdrug's Coconut and Almond conditioner is really good for co -washing, and it's silicone free.

HairFanson
September 21st, 2015, 02:47 PM
I just use water on the scalp. The scalp is biologically designed to be rinsed with cool rainwater, and the natural oils will slide down the hair to soften and condition.
For the last 8 months my routine: I pre-oil the ends (Coconut oil, Jojoba oil etc), let the shower "sprinkle" my scalp in cool water, turn up the temp and slather my coconut oil on body. Put conditioner on hair length, and massage the scalp for a few minutes. Then I rinse my hair, rub in a very little bit of coconut oil to face to moisturize. Shut off the water, PAT everything dry, and let my hair air dry. I do a castor oil/jojoba scalp treatment every couple of weeks or so.

NO need for shampoo, NO need to clarify *ever*, NO need for lotion (even here in AZ), NO brewing teas or mixing potions, and my hair behaves itself every day with very little splits/breakage. I might get 2-3 sheds a day. its grown about 1-1.5 inches a month on average.

Seems to be my magic self-care routine!

jeanniet
September 21st, 2015, 08:21 PM
No worries, sorry I wasn't very clear! Every couple of days I CWC, otherwise I just use water on my scalp. Maybe that's the problem?

I'm still confused, sorry! In your first post you said you're doing CO to stretch the time between shampoos, but then you said you do CWC with water rinses in between. When do you CO? Just to be clear, CO means washing with conditioner, not water. Maybe that's the confusion. Anyway, water rinsing works for some, not all, and there does need to be some level of scrubbing to help the water work. You could try CWC more often, but diluting the shampoo by half. Your scalp might need to adjust a bit. Or try actual CO, if you're not doing that--use conditioner to scrub the scalp. You can dilute that, too, if you want.

And sorry again if I'm completely missing the boat here, hehe.

gthlvrmx
September 29th, 2015, 10:32 PM
How are you supposed to wash your length with conditioner? Don't you have to scrub the length of hair to get the conditioner to work through the dirt and oils? Or do you just "squish" the length little by little like how TorrinPaige does in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzEjdmXaUUU&list=PLZ54eM5_FbKbkM6h5Wa5Xf7vh040irRxB&index=2

I know you don't twist your hair while wet like a towel. Is rubbing your hair back and forth like you are trying to start a fire with a stick damaging for your hair when you CO wash it? I am assuming it is damaging to do that because of all the friction.

GRU
September 30th, 2015, 09:13 AM
How are you supposed to wash your length with conditioner?

The only part that actually needs "scrubbing" is the scalp. My length gets plenty clean (even when oiled) by simply brushing the conditioner through with a Tangle Teezer brush (which also detangles as it works the conditioner through the strands).

It's only in shampoo commercials where you see the "pile it all on top of your head and agitate the dickens out of it" technique for washing -- that's a formula for unnecessary friction and tangling.

To CO-wash, apply conditioner (very diluted for me, about 1 part conditioner to 3-4 parts water), scrub scalp with fingertips, work through length with a brush or comb and detangle, then rinse thoroughly.

sarahthegemini
September 30th, 2015, 09:17 AM
How are you supposed to wash your length with conditioner? Don't you have to scrub the length of hair to get the conditioner to work through the dirt and oils? Or do you just "squish" the length little by little like how TorrinPaige does in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzEjdmXaUUU&list=PLZ54eM5_FbKbkM6h5Wa5Xf7vh040irRxB&index=2

I know you don't twist your hair while wet like a towel. Is rubbing your hair back and forth like you are trying to start a fire with a stick damaging for your hair when you CO wash it? I am assuming it is damaging to do that because of all the friction.

I shampoo my scalp but co-wash my length - to clean my length I just smooth my hands down it several times and then squish it a bit.

gthlvrmx
September 30th, 2015, 12:36 PM
The only part that actually needs "scrubbing" is the scalp. My length gets plenty clean (even when oiled) by simply brushing the conditioner through with a Tangle Teezer brush (which also detangles as it works the conditioner through the strands).

It's only in shampoo commercials where you see the "pile it all on top of your head and agitate the dickens out of it" technique for washing -- that's a formula for unnecessary friction and tangling.

To CO-wash, apply conditioner (very diluted for me, about 1 part conditioner to 3-4 parts water), scrub scalp with fingertips, work through length with a brush or comb and detangle, then rinse thoroughly.

I shampoo my scalp but co-wash my length - to clean my length I just smooth my hands down it several times and then squish it a bit.

Thanks for the replies! I will use my hands to spread the conditioner from my scalp to the length and then squish it.
GRU, where did you get your Tangle Teezer? I am tempted to buy one now.

jeanniet
September 30th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Yeah, scrub scalp only (although my hair's pretty short now, so it kinda all gets scrubbed). I detangle with a Denman, so that does enough to get the length clean.

GRU
October 2nd, 2015, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the replies! I will use my hands to spread the conditioner from my scalp to the length and then squish it.
GRU, where did you get your Tangle Teezer? I am tempted to buy one now.

I've purchased locally and online from Sally Beauty Supply, plus online through Amazon. I own the original, compact, salon elite, and aqua splash varieties. The compact is very small, so IMO really only an option for those with small hands/children or for specialized situations (like to keep in a bag, because of the cover). The aqua splash was poorly designed without any grippy material for holding it when wet. You can't go wrong with the original or salon elite versions, IMO.