PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice - hair on top of my head is too flat!

tigerlily896
July 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I was wondering if any of you have a problem where the hair on the top of your head lays too flat.
Some info on my routine:
I have thick curly hair, which I currently CO wash every day. I finger comb with the conditioner in my hair in the shower. After I rinse and get out of the shower, I oil the ends a little. I dry my hair with a t-shirt (I have yet to purchase a micro fiber towel).

My guess is that my hair is heavy and thick (in quantity of hairs) and weighs my roots down easily. Any ideas on how to fix it? I'm tired of looking pyramidal. :)

Thanks in advance!!

may1em
July 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hi! You have pretty much the same hairtype I do. Our hair likes to lie flat to our heads - it's just what it does. However, once it passes shoulder, the weight of it pulls the length down, so "pyramid head" becomes less of a problem. You're on the right track with CO - but an occasional mild shampooing may be helpful.

Many wavies have good luck with using duckbill clips near the root to take the weight off of the root hair as it dries. For me, this resulted in tangles, but it might work for you.

One thing that does work for me is if I wash at night, doing a zig-zag part down the back and putting both haves up in buns on top of my head. ETA: Your hair is still pretty short, but you could do half buns on each side - it'll essentially look like 4 pin curls. /ETA. Zig-zag parts while drying are generally good for adding a little lift. Key word, though, little. Our hair really wants to be stuck to our heads. It's not fun to deal with when it's still short, but I promise you it'll be less triangley after it grows some more. I know, my hair used to be even shorter than yours is in your avatar.

Bunnyhare
July 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I just did a lot of clipping little parts up while i was growing out to avoid this. As My1em said, as it gets longer the curl changes and the pyramid thing changes too. Hang in there, you can also add little flowers or pretties to a clip to change the silhouette of the hair while it is growing out too, optical illusion is my friend!

RocketDog
July 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Even when my hair was an inch long, it would lay flat on the top and stick out crazy at the bottom unless I used a lot of product and/or teased it. Even my hairdresser couldn't get lift with all his fancy techniques and products and stuff!

I can get a bit of poof now with strategically placed bobby pins when I'm wearing an updo that's placed high on the back of my head, but other than that I've just learned to live with it.

HeatherLarsen
July 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Flip your head upside down and blowdry the roots in all directions, I promise it will help!

Rohele
July 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I've been clipping the top of mine while it dries in the opposite direction to the way it normally falls. It gives it a little bit of extra lift at the roots.

MotherConfessor
July 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I dont know how easy it will be to lift the hair on top (when I want that it takes some root lifter and blowdrying (on cool!) upside down until im dizzy), but an easy trick to avoid the triangle head is to braid the underside of your hair, at the nape. It cuts the volume at the neck so your hair looses some of its poof.

BlndeInDisguise
July 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I've found letting your hair part naturally where ever it feels like (mine is usually down the center of my head) and letting it dry that way without touching it helps give mine volume. But that's for putting it up in a bun, so I'm sure getting volume for letting your hair down is probably different.

Moonstruck
July 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Sometimes I let my hair dry halfway while hanging upsidedown, reading a good book. I suppose thick curly hair may not dry in time for this, but at least lying down reading with your hair flipped the opposite way of your part may help.

manderly
July 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Flip your head upside down and blowdry the roots in all directions, I promise it will help!

This this this. I do this whenever I feel like a flattop :)

lacereza
July 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM

ReddishRocks
July 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I would keep drying with the t-shirt. The microfiber towels, while very absorbent, still have those fibers that can rough the cuticle... but as long as you're blotting, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I plop (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/tips/to-plop-or-not-to-plop)and pixie-curl (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=34025&highlight=pixiecurl+method). I too can attest to the wisdom that length will calm the pyramid effect:

Then (before I went CO):
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/Prom.jpg

Later (about 7 months ago):
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/22nov08001.jpg

Now:
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/39June092.jpg

Going CO really helped my canopy curl better, which helped my root curl too.

free_hug
July 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I tend to look pyramidal too, independent of washing method. Weird thing is, when i get tired of it (or just want to get rid of my hair) i tie on a bandana, and leave it there for a couple of hors. And weirdly enough, instead of flatting down my head further, it tends to give a nice shape to my hair - don't know how to explain, but it just looks more arranged and proportionate at the end.

And i really do wonder if this works like this for others as well :?: Why don't you try it for me, and report the results :p it might as well work...

Jenny.Wren
July 9th, 2009, 01:27 AM
My hair would have a pyramid effect until the length got longer and heavier and that would make it hang better. For me I would use a styling product and diffuser on my hairdryer to get some root lift and body.

I think this look is something us curlies have to put up with :D