PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get really competitive...

RancheroTheBee
July 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
About your hair-length?

I work with this girl who I suspect is trying to grow out her hair, since she keeps sharing milestones with me. I'll preface this with the fact that I really do like her, and I don't think she means any harm. But sometimes, she gets really competitive over hair-growth, like when she said that she never realized how short my hair was, despite that straight, my hair is longer (and in better condition) than hers. I never mention how much I am obsessed with my hair, so there's no way of her knowing, but in a weird way, it kind of stung.

But I realize I totally do this with other people and think, "My hair is longer than yours now!" And "Mine has no split ends, and yours does."

It's kind of stupid, but I feel myself getting really competitive, too, sometimes.

How about you?

redneckprincess
July 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I feel that way sometimes a friend of mine had hair just a bit longer then mine and decided to cut it REALLY short, secretly I was happy because now as long as I dont cut it Mine will be longer then hers and every time she trims it it only makes it that much longer then hers. But I feel bad for thinking that way...She is not the only one I feel that way about...

Bianca
July 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I have caught myself thinking "Yay, I have the longest hair in this room". Also one of my friends have long black hair, she dont give a crap about it, but for some reason I want to beat her in hair lenght. It's so weird :D

GlassEyes
July 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I can't.

I have four friends, three female and one male, with longer hair than me. I get envious of them, but I can't really compete because my hair doesn't show length like theirs. One is a 2a, one is relaxed (but has really pretty, thigh length hair--she wears it up ALL the time, and I need to show her this site), and the last two are 1c, so compared to my super-curly hair that never shows length, I can't compete.

I am mad that two of them made it past waist in two years from a chin length cut though. xD ENVY.

Phalaenopsis
July 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I feel that way sometimes a friend of mine had hair just a bit longer then mine and decided to cut it REALLY short, secretly I was happy because now as long as I dont cut it Mine will be longer then hers and every time she trims it it only makes it that much longer then hers. But I feel bad for thinking that way...She is not the only one I feel that way about...

I have that too! Too bad it comes back to bite me, 'cause now I'm so afraid to get a trim. Oh no, someone will think the same thing about me like I do about others! :(

Tap Dancer
July 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Nope. I don't have any friends and I work with a bunch of guys. My mom has short hair (which looks great on her!) and I've never cared either way about my sister's hair.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ahh I think we all experience some form of hair envy. Be it for length, color, or texture lol.

nowxisxforever
July 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I do sometimes. Not a lot, but I feel special a lot about having longer hair than most people I run into. I probably shouldn't!

Madame J
July 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Heh. I'm competitive with my husband (he does not reciprocate). I think we have hair the same length now, but mine is layered so his looks longer and behaves better in updos (I style him). I think mine grows faster, though, and he still gets regular trims, since he's not trying to get any longer than he is, so I'll beat him yet!

Friesiangirl
July 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm not usually jealous. I love my friends' hair, I have one friend with Classic length black hair (she's half Asian) and another with iii + + + wavy brown hair that's bsl. I love them both for it! I always try to help them grow and take care of their hair.

Hayley

Rivanariko
July 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Most of my friends that had long hair when we were growing up have cut it in the last couple years, so I am now the longest of all of my childhood friends and there is something very satisfying about that. :) There were three of us who had very similar blonde hair, I'm almost at waist now, one of my friends is about BSL and the other is just above shoulder. Both were close to hip before they cut it. I was sad when they cut it off because it was so pretty, but part of me did a little happy dance to be the longest now.

aksown
July 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM
All the time! One of my really good friends had hip length hair before she got a two inch layered cut, then another two inches of damage cut off recently. That takes her to mid-back. Since my hair is that length too, we're the same height but my torso is longer, I realized that my hair was finally longer than hers. I'm not so secretive about my competitive streak but it's all in fun. :laugh:

Curlsgirl
July 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Yes. Yes I do. I keep it to myself though. :p

JamieRose
July 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Ugh...yes. I do this. I know it's stupid, but I kind of can't help it. Most of my female freinds want really long hair... but they chemically dye/bleach/heat style a lot, so they've never gotten longer than bsl. One of them even makes me feel stupid for using henna... she has been trying to grow her pixie hair out forver... and she bleaches every couple of weeks.... it's still a pixie YEARS later... and she's a hairdresser. We bother stared at pixie, too, so it's funny that I'm the one at APL now.

So while I know it's stupid to be thinking about it like that, I know they are thinking the same things. I guess there are worse things to be competitive over, eh?

Spike
July 8th, 2009, 11:58 AM
:agape: Ranchero, you read my mind. There must be a hole in the tinfoil beanie.

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I'm envious of my SIL's growth, but not really in competition with her. To me she went from being BSL in October 08 to Waist now. O_0

Roseate
July 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I have one friend that I secretly compare myself to, and it's kind of strange.

When we were younger, she had TBL hair, so I always think of her as having 'long hair'. Even though her hair hasn't been longer than BSL for years, and is currently chin-length, I still feel like my hair is long if it's longer than hers! Not logical, but that's how it goes.

Otherwise, I am always on the lookout for people with hair thicker than mine, just to check them out.

krissykins
July 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I get competitive with my brother. His is about mid-back length and he never trims, so I'm ready to try anything now. However, mine is considerably healthier than his :P so there

Ryanne
July 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I don't have that much friends, but basically all of them mention their deep wish to grow their hair and in the next breath add how it's time for a trim again. Unsuprisingly, my hair is the longest in that group.
Off course, there are those moments when I'm in a room, classes mostly, and I think 'Yay, I have the longest hair here!'.

neon-dream
July 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm like this over thickness! Before I came here, I never really noticed other people's thickness but always their length. It fascinates me to see people with longer hair than me and I love it, but when I see someone with hair thicker than mine, I instantly get jealous even though I have more than enough hair!
I'm glad other people do this too, makes me feel a little less childish, even though I know it's no big deal - I don't think I could handle my hair being any thicker.. haha.
:hmm: Hair envy is an odd thing sometimes.

SimplyViki
July 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I have a (private, in my head only!!) competition going with my classmates' hair length... two of them had really long hair when we all started the nursing program, one of them cut it from hip to shoulders last semester, and one still hovers around just below tailbone. I'm still trying to grow out to beat that one girl's length. :p I don't think it matters much. Of course, she might just keep on growing as fast as I do and remain longer than me. :lol: Hair envy's no big deal, I think.

plaidprincess
July 8th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yes! When I was little up until I was 15 I had never had my hair cut - there was one other girl in my primary school who had really long hair and everyone used to compare us.

I made myself feel better by telling everyone she had a really short back.

I'd like to think I've grown out of that now :o

Allegra
July 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Yes! I'm very competitive (but i keep it to myself, this is the first time i've admitted it!).
I'm always so relieved when one of my friends who's hair is catching up to mine goes and cuts it off!

AmyJorgensen
July 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I won't let my husband grow his as long as mine(but he couldn't anyway with the outdoor work he does).

I've got a friend who told me she had 6 months until her wedding and was going to grow to past waist like mine for the wedding pictures (from chin length) because she was going to take hair vitamins. I managed not to laugh, but it wouldn't have been near enough time to grow as long as mine....and she keeps getting whims and cutting it. Poor hair. It really hasn't grown at all with all the cuts, etc.

ATrixie
July 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM
lol I'm terribly competitive about other things, but not about the length of my hair..

some people look really good with longer or shorter hair.. I may look at their color or texture or other things with envy (like facial structure or body structure or kindness or awesome character), length of hair - not really.. I may admire it, & wish I had it too (knee-length looks soo GOOD on some people!! :D) but I'm aware it also brings problems & am not sure if I could pull it off due to health reasons..

I'm currently the person with longest hair among everyone I know personally.. & mostly wear it up anyway.. (from chin to past the waist/tailbone in 3 years, maybe got a haircut once inbetween.. seems other people can go faster lol.. - & I thought my hair was growing quickly lol.. or maybe I'm just taller? he he.. maybe I am a tiny bit competitive about this too? ;))

eyesofsummer
July 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I do get a bit jealous of people whose hair grows noticeably quickly. And the people who flat-iron, dye, and blowdry yet never seem to get splits. The difference, though, is that I am consciously trying to grow my hair and make it healthy; sooner or later it will pay off! If not, I'll blame it on my genes and not on my lack of effort :D

Sheltie_Momma
July 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Otherwise, I am always on the lookout for people with hair thicker than mine, just to check them out.

Bah hahah, I do this too.

For some reason this thread reminds me of college when my roommate had been drinking and woke me up in the middle of the night to ask if I secretly hated her for having awesome breasts. I was like "No, I hate you for waking me up and asking drunk questions!"

Periwinkle
July 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yup.

I have a friend who had the most gorgeous classic length hair when she was young and then cut it off. She does sometimes tie it back now, but for probably about 1 1/2 years, she only ever wore it down and straightened it at least once a day, despite the fact that it's naturally pin straight (she wanted it to be flatter as it's very thick). I get a perverse delight out of the fact that her hair is a huge mass of breakage and mine is longer and nicer :D

I should feel bad about that, but somehow she still manages to look stunning (she has the gene that lets people look perfect even when they've been dragged backwards through a hedge) and she doesn't miss her long hair at all, so I suppose it's okay...

bluemoon1891
July 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I too, have friends who lust after long hair, but bleach, heat style, trim the hell out of it...and don't pay the least attention to the products they are using .

It's no wonder that my hair is nearly at waist length after a year of growth (started at APL) and you would have never been able to tell they were even growing theirs, because they are at the same length they started with!!

I guess it's not so much competition as it is that I've become more critical of hair in general since becoming a member here.

Sometimes, I'll be walking down the street, thinking to myself "Wow, that girl needs to [insert commonly used LHC method here]". Of course, I never say such things out loud...

ButterCup02
July 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I do compare, but I can't really be competitive as 2 of my close friends have longer hair than me! I'm *almost* at BSL, but my one friend is at waist and my other friend (cousin in law LOL) is at hip. I am jealous sometimes though LOL!!

Coriander
July 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I don't know about super competitive, but I do find myself examining other people's hair - length, condition of the hair, and how they treat it.

I've often said to myself, "Yay I have the longest hair here!" :D

camirra555
July 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I'm secretly a bit competitive with my sisters. You know how sibling rivalry is *shrugs*. Both sisters have hair that is curly like mine. They have never really been into cutting their hair so one has hip length (when straightened) hair and the other one is at about waist. Obviously I'm the shortest of the bunch. The thing is my hair is definitely the healthiest. I have tried to help them and told them about moisturizing and not using shampoo but they don't listen so I give up. I know that within 2-3 years not only will my hair be the healthiest but it will be just as long as theirs.

Natalia
July 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hehehe im secretly competitive i hardly know any long hairs in real life. Lol that makes us sound like an endangered species! So when i am chatting with them i think X amount of time till im longer than them and i will have healthier hair :eyebrows: . I never say anything really just think, stare, and imagine...

thankyousir74
July 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
About your hair-length?

I work with this girl who I suspect is trying to grow out her hair, since she keeps sharing milestones with me. I'll preface this with the fact that I really do like her, and I don't think she means any harm. But sometimes, she gets really competitive over hair-growth, like when she said that she never realized how short my hair was, despite that straight, my hair is longer (and in better condition) than hers. I never mention how much I am obsessed with my hair, so there's no way of her knowing, but in a weird way, it kind of stung.

But I realize I totally do this with other people and think, "My hair is longer than yours now!" And "Mine has no split ends, and yours does."

It's kind of stupid, but I feel myself getting really competitive, too, sometimes.

How about you?

I have a friend exactly like this. Everytime I see her, she mentions how her hair is growing, and she mentions my split ends (my hair splits rather easily :/). She's kind of the catty, petty type so I try not to take what she says to heart, but because her hair is a bit curlier than mine (and she keeps trimming it) mine is now longer and it kind of eases my mind. Eh. I can be so immature sometimes :rolleyes:

Bene
July 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
i've never been the competitive sort. but my sister is. she's always trying to grow her hair, but she's convinced that cutting it will make her hair grow faster. i don't tell her that it doesn't quite work that way, not because i care if my hair is longer than hers or not, but because i found out after my (self-inflicted) big chop that she'd been in competition with me (in her head) about our lengths. i figure her punishment for being such a petty cow is to look at my healthy hair while her nasty dirty mess is trapped it armpit length forever :)

Fiferstone
July 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I find myself more envious of others' hair than competitive about how long it is vs. mine, since there's no way, really, to control the rate of your hair growth vs. theirs. The only things you can do are take better care of it than they do, and not give into "I'm bored and I want a change" whims to cut it off.

Citrine
July 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Oh yeah, I can get serious hair envy with a couple girlfriends. It was worse when living with a friend who had waistlength blond hair. It wasn't SO bad since my roomate-at-the-time wore her hair down everyday, blowdried, and generally didn't take care of her hair so it was FULL of split ends. I've fully gotten over the hair envy with her now since she chopped several inches off. Her hair is now shorter than mine, and still in worse condition. Ugh, I feel horrible for thinking it and feeling pleased about the differences in our hair, but it's the truth and can't be avoided.
Spending time with other long haired friends rarely brings out the green eyed monster in me, for some odd reason. Maybe it has something to do with NOT living with them and also their color is much different than mine.

EdG
July 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I try not to be competitive.

At one time, I thought that I had really long hair. Then, I joined LHC where I met in person a half-dozen people with longer hair than mine. Now I consider my hair to be somewhat long. ;)
Ed

Nyghtingale
July 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I have the longest hair of anyone in my family (my son is getting close though), friends, and co-workers. And I very rarely see anyone with longer hair. Whenever I do, I totally ask my hubby if I am still "winning". :D

Flotsum
July 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm not competitive at all about it. I do feel a bit of jealousy when I see what looks like long silk growing from someone's scalp. I have to fight the urge to go up to them and beg for their hair regimen.

sweet*things
July 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I get envious, but not exactly competitive. I've got a couple of friends with fabulous hair that I can't compete with. One is a natural redhead with long, beautiful waves and a figure that doesn't quit, and the other is a natural blond that usually wears her thick, gorgeous hair around classic length. I think I can "beat" them in shine and softness, because I've always had very soft, silky, shiny hair (when I'm taking care of it properly:oops:), but in terms of color, texture and thickness they've got my butt kicked and there's really nothing I can do about it.

My blond friend was even in a Pantene hair competition last year and finished in the top ten. I actually think she had the nicest hair, but it was one of those stupid get all your Myspace friends to vote things and being a non-skanky adult with a life, she was at a disadvantage. :lol:

pdy2kn6
July 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Oh yeah you are not alone! I don't know why, but I often feel a bit satisfied when I see a friend who has cut their previously long hair short, or in to a shorter style. I think its more just that I am happy that I am a few months ahead of their growth (even though I am sure they don't also want hair the length I am aiming).

ericthegreat
July 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Before my hair grew past the middle of my back, yes I was definitely jealous of all the waist length and butt length manes that I happened to encounter. But now that I myself have reached butt length, I now actually secretly smirk at people(both women and longhaired males) who have hair that is shorter than mine. Yes, I know its not nice. But still I feel secretly good about having hair longer than the people I meet.

jera
July 9th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I have caught myself thinking "Yay, I have the longest hair in this room". :D

I secretly think that myself quite often. :D But I haven't been openly competitive about having the longest hair since childhood. Now, I prefer to inspire other people to grow their hair and most of my friends became longhairs before they even knew what was happening. :p

masterofmidgets
July 9th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I only have one friend who's interested in growing her hair longer, and she's only at shoulder-length right now - pretty far off from me! It's actually pretty fun being her 'long hair mentor'. I got her into making her own hairsticks and using shampoo bars, and we trade hairstyle ideas back and forth. It's hard to get competitive with her.

On the other hand, I'm always discreetly checking around myself in class or in the dining hall, and when I realize that I have the longest hair or the nicest hair in the room - lots of bleach jobs and blow-dryer/straightener abuse on my campus! - I'm pretty (privately) smug. My dorm this year shared the dining hall with the African theme dorm, though, and some of those girls had amazing hair - waist length dreads and tight perfect curls and even a few afros - they always put me to shame a bit. Hard to be smug for too long against that kind of competition! :p

Monsterkitti
July 9th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I used to be pretty competitive with my DS as she always had the nicer hair when we were kids, much longer and generally attracted a lot of attention.

Since we've got older shes had to cut again and again as her ends split and now is around waist length. Mine is still shorter although it doesnt really bother me any more Im much more likely to try and push an LHC treatment on her than feel bad her hair is longer than mine :)

Masara
July 9th, 2009, 02:36 AM
When I started growing my hair, I would look at the other people at work and compare their length to mine (they all were longer) Then I started calculating "in X number of months/years, my hair will be as long as hers". So each time my hair gets longer than one of those "marker" people, I feel a certain amount of triumph.

When I hit APL, there was another woman who seemed to be growing her hair as well and I would compare our growth a lot in my head. I have to admit to feeling a bit smug when she cut hers back to shoulder when we were both around BSL.

My aim is to have the longest hair at work, There are only two people now with longer hair than me. One has waistish length, straightened, dead looking hair. The other has dead straight, TB length ,healthy hair. I don't really feel competetive with either. Neither of them are growing their hair, both seem to be maintaining so I know I should be able to catch up

Wicked Princess
July 9th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Well, I don't feel that feeling of competition that I feel in work and sports, but I do find myself noticing people's hair more often in the hopes that I will spot a long haired stranger to whom I can smile at in hair-loving-camaraderie.

It's hard to describe - it's almost like I'm looking around for someone from a "homeland" of long-haired people.

...maybe this community is rubbing off on me more than I thought it was, haha!

While not competitive, I find myself being envious of my prince of a fiance's hair. He has hair past his shoulder blades, and it's silkier and healthier than mine! And do you know what he does with it? He shampoos it. With a harsh sulfate shampoo. No conditioner, no oil, rips his hair brush through it when it's wet, and yet I can't find a single split end in his! I've actually inspected his hair very closely (while he sat and laughed at me, no less) but no...the man has inhumanly nice hair. It's just not fair!

Rentlle
July 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
haha.. And i thought that I was the only one?!! :D
Like in a room; I"m sometimes thinking like: yes! i have the longest hair!
or, "waw, she has beautiful long hair!, but mine is healthyer"
gosh, I was so ashamed of that XD

florenonite
July 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
she has the gene that lets people look perfect even when they've been dragged backwards through a hedge

I love this :D

I don't get competitive, really, but I do find myself waiting for the day when my hair's longer than my friend. We've got a very similar hairtype and colour, but her hair grows about ten times faster than mine. When I met her her hair was waist-length (which appears to be her terminal, false or otherwise; her hair stays at that length with fairytale ends) and mine was at my shoulder. Over the Easter holidays she cut to BSL, and so for about three days I had longer hair than her; by the end of May she was back at waist again.

I think I'll feel slightly chuffed when my hair surpasses hers in length, simply because she's always had longer hair than me, for as long as I've known her. It would be kind of cool if I got to waist length and lost about a stone in weight, because then we'd look almost the same from behind :p

MunchkinBubble
July 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
For some reason this thread reminds me of college when my roommate had been drinking and woke me up in the middle of the night to ask if I secretly hated her for having awesome breasts. I was like "No, I hate you for waking me up and asking drunk questions!"

Hahaha! Thats hilarious!!

I can't lie, I do feel rather competitive with my future SIL. She has amaaaazingly beautiful hair even though she treats it terribly (if I had her hair I would NOT be yanking through it with a brush, blowfrying it every single day followed by the curling iron). At one point she said she was thinking about chopping it to a chin-length bob and I might have been a bit too encouraging of it because she had been thinking about it for a while until I said she should - then all of a sudden she didn't want to anymore.

I get envious of length, thickness, texture, you name it!

JamieLeigh
July 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I don't really think I'm competitive, I just like to admire any sort of long hair...but then again, I'm not really surrounded IRL with anyone who is growing out their hair like I am. And if they were, I doubt they'd take the same slow path as me. Usually when you hear someone say "I'm growing my hair out," it means they're skipping trims, etc. I trim very regularly, so even though my hair would probably grow faster than someone else's, I would gain length more slowly...if that makes sense. :confused: It means I have to trim more often to keep a straight hemline.

Lol, I guess to wrap it up, what I'm saying is that there would be no need for me to compete for length, because the other party would get there first. :p

Amara
July 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I think I would be if I knew anyone else growing their hair out who was close to my length IRL. But I wouldn't be competitive in a bad way... I'm not the envious type. It'd just be fun to compare and "race". :)

keight425
July 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hahaha! Thats hilarious!!

I can't lie, I do feel rather competitive with my future SIL. She has amaaaazingly beautiful hair even though she treats it terribly (if I had her hair I would NOT be yanking through it with a brush, blowfrying it every single day followed by the curling iron). At one point she said she was thinking about chopping it to a chin-length bob and I might have been a bit too encouraging of it because she had been thinking about it for a while until I said she should - then all of a sudden she didn't want to anymore.

I get envious of length, thickness, texture, you name it!

Wow. Almost this same exact thing happens to me. My future SIL has amazing tailbone length hair which she does all sorts of different hairstyles on and looks really awesome curly or straight. Anyhow.... I am so jealous. Once she told me she was thinking about cutting it and I was like YOU SHOULD DO IT.
And she never did of course.

Well I'll get there one day!!!!

free_hug
July 11th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I gave a lot of thought to the issue, either i'm not competitive (well, probably because i have not much of a basis to be so :) ) or am i just fooling myself trying to be nice?

But then i found the answer: no, i'm totally non-competitive! Actually i have something very different, i keep examining other people's hair, especially since i'm on LHC :) and ask in my head: hey, you've got some gorgeous hair! Why don't you grow it out! And i mostly get a bit disappointed when they get a cut :/

adiapalic
July 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
When I was a teenager, my sister and I used to sort of compete. She would always gloat that hers was longer, but she had so much damage from ripping a brush through her already fine and fragile hair, that it was thinning at the ends a lot. We both said we would never cut our hair.

She ended up getting a perm twice in a row to curl her waist length 1a/F hair. The perm didn't hold the second time either, so the hairdresser lady hacked off nearly half of her hair (without permission). She ended up with a poodle perm hanging barely passed her shoulders. She cried her eyes out.

Since then, she's had several haircuts and hair colors. In a way she seemed a little liberated by the incident. I feel bad that it happened that way, but sometimes I feel like I "won the race" because I never cut my hair since then. So yeah, I guess I'm guilty of being a little competitive :o but I've never gloated to my sister about it. It would make her feel bad.

Buddaphlyy
July 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM
No, because you will inevitably be a loser in some aspect.

I do secretly want to go up and tell people how much better their hair would be if they did a DC or trim or stopped dying so much.

ReddishRocks
July 11th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the day when someone comments on my hair's length before they mention its color or curl. :o Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my color and I LOVE my curl, but I've been hearing about my color for my whole life... and I need to start getting okay with the idea that it won't always be red... :( I WANT to go silver, but I'm still a little scared, lol!

I get a little jealous of my mom sometimes... she dries, flatirons, and colors hers all the time. But she rarely gets her hair cut, so I suppose it benefits from that sort of neglect. ;) She's at BSL... I think I've got her technically beat because I'm taller than she is (thus my BSL is lower than hers), but still... LOL!

Cricket1
July 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
It is a nice feeling when I see girls with shorter hair than mine, because it doesn't happen often! :lol: Almost all young girls in this day and age have long hair (at least shoulder length). I'm the girlwho is used to always having the shortest hair in the room. :o It has been that way for years now. So basically its a miracle when I see a young adult with hair shorter than mine .

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
When I was a teenager, my sister and I used to sort of compete. She would always gloat that hers was longer, but she had so much damage from ripping a brush through her already fine and fragile hair, that it was thinning at the ends a lot. We both said we would never cut our hair.

She ended up getting a perm twice in a row to curl her waist length 1a/F hair. The perm didn't hold the second time either, so the hairdresser lady hacked off nearly half of her hair (without permission). She ended up with a poodle perm hanging barely passed her shoulders. She cried her eyes out.

Since then, she's had several haircuts and hair colors. In a way she seemed a little liberated by the incident. I feel bad that it happened that way, but sometimes I feel like I "won the race" because I never cut my hair since then. So yeah, I guess I'm guilty of being a little competitive :o but I've never gloated to my sister about it. It would make her feel bad.

My sister and I did that too. My sister highlights and straightens her hair, which is sad because it's so pretty naturally, but she's supposedly growing it out...

I'd say I have her beat though ;) Hers grows so much faster than mine that she could catch up to me no problem if she wanted to though in maybe a year or two.

AnneAdeline
July 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I'm such a competitive person, though not so much with hair. I tend to look around at other people's hair. Then I tell myself "My hair will be that long soon."
I also tend to belittle my hair. In everyone's hair I can find the beauty. Gorgeous curls, color, amazing thickness...my hair can never compare to others. I'm hoping that some day I'll be proud of my hair!

gmdiaz
July 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I am really competitive and it's not even important what it's about! I just have a race horse personality. I am not mean about it thank goodness. . .to me it's a game and all in fun.

I think I don't get jealous because I HAVE the longest and thickest hair of anyone I know. *snark*

And here at the LHC, there are sooooo many that have hair way more beautiful, way longer, way thicker than mine, but I am left with a feeling awe, not jealousy.

Of course, I am working like crazy to make mine better all the time. roflolol

HisForever
July 12th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I only get envious about length, because I had long hair, and if I kept it long, It would be longer. Like my husbands cousin, the last time I saw her, our hair was the same length - waist- and now my husband tells me she told him that I shouldnt have cut mine because hers is to her butt! That comment made me a little jealous lol. But yeah, when I see someone walking down the street with long geogeous hair, I always think to myself, that could still be me right now, but I know it will grow back to that length in two years or a little less.

Finoriel
July 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I´m just not competitive in general :shrug: not hair and not other things. Sometimes I´m ambitious, but that is more about me and my perfectionism than about competing and comparing myself with others.
Usually my hair is much longer than the hair I see around here anyways :p :wink:

paintedmuse
July 12th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I'm not generally competitive either. I think it's because I only want to be really good at some things, and these are things I am already good at so there is no real competition. And the things I'm not especially good at I don't care to be and just leave them to someone else who is more talented in them... or something like that^^.
But sometimes when I see beautiful long hair I just can't wait for mine to be that long as well, I get very impatient then :D

concrescence
July 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I feel a little competitive with my boyfriend. He has beautiful, dark brown, 3b/C/iii hair that is past APL when dry and around Midback when wet. It grows like a weed! When we had our first date in late June last year he could just barely get it into pigtails. My last cut was probably in September of last year. It was about shoulder length in front and a little above in back (I had a graduated swing bob). Now it's a couple of inches from APL. He also sheds like a wookie. Seriously, I pull hairballs the size of a small hamster from the shower drain cover everyday. And yet his hair is still uncommonly thick. I want his hair! Why can't my hair be thick, curly, and fast-growing?

On the other hand, I know that I would probably look weird with his hair. And, when I'm healthy, my hair actually grows faster than average (almost an inch a month), it just seems slow in camparison to mr. crazy miracle grow man. I had a slow down in growth this year, I think, because I was sick with a lung infection and pleurisy for most of the winter, and was then diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia. Now that I'm mostly better and taking iron, I think my hair growth is speeding back up.

peachrose
July 12th, 2009, 10:50 AM
When I was in college for 3 years I was with the same group of about 10 women the whole time. I started out with the shortest hair of everyone (about chin length) and by the time I graduated a year ago mine was at APL straight and most of my classmates had APL-BSL.

Now I run into these classmates fairly often during work assignments and most have them have since cut whereas I have been only dusting for the past year. I am secretly always proud when they comment that mine is so long... Some of the people whose hair I always used to stare at in school have now cut to APL and as petty as it is, I am happy to have longer hair than them now. :)

Aries_jb
July 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm not really competitive by nature when it comes to other people, especially with hair. Everyone I know is not about growing their hair long, but combating frizz, dryness, bad haircuts, etc. I really can't compare my goals to theirs.

I am competitive with myself though. I play various little games with myself and see if I can "win". For instance, my plan is to be BSL by the end of the year, so in order to "win" this bet with myself, I'm not cutting it, wearing it up a lot, and using more natural products on it. Since my hair is curly, it's kind of a toss up about whether this will happen, which is why I make it into a game.

Yeah, I'm weird.

swanns
July 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm very competitive (wouldn't want to be but apparently I just can't change that :shrug: ), and that's the case with my hair too, not so much with thickness but with lenght. I do feel kind of ''threatened'' if I meet someone with hair longer than mine (I know it's just silly but can't help it, argh!).

I made quite a few good friends back in high school. When we started in 2004 I was the shortest haired of us all (see my sig), and now I'm the longest haired by a mile. I find this pretty funny for some reason. Everyone else has had theirs cut while I've avoided scissors like the plague.

Igor
July 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Strangely enough, hair growth and hair health is perhaps the only thing I’m not competitive about

Just about everything else activates the competitive nerd in me

My hair? I just enjoy the ride :crush: