PDA

View Full Version : I she going to lose her curls?

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 11:07 AM
My daughter's (2 1/2 years old) hair has just started coming in and it is so curly. I love it. They are the most silky pretty curls. Everyone keeps telling me oh dont worry she'll outgrow them. First of all I love them I dont want them to grow out. Second of all do you think she'll loose them? I've always had wavy-straight hair so I have no experience with curls.

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
My dd is 5 and while her curls have calmed down they sure aren't going anywhere!!Her dad has naturally curly hair and i could see the lil peach fuzz curlies when I gave birth to her or whenever I wet her fuzz head.:lol: be warned caring for curlies are wicked hard and alot of work.When her hair gets long enough braids will be your best friend at bedtime.

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I know. I have to beg my husband to stop washing her hair. He's just so in the routine of get them in the tub and get them clean, :).

I try to only shampoo once a week. A lot of the time I will just wet it and run my hands through to check for food or other misc toddlers findings. A couple times a week I have been CO which makes the curls just dreamy.

It does get to be a big fuzz ball after she sleeps on it but I have found spritzing water and/or detangler has helped a lot with that.

CurlyNinja
April 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
That's so cute, I bet she and her hair are just adorable :)

Caring for curls does not have to be hard or a lot of work. Just treat it gently (no ripping through tangles, OUCH!) and keep it well conditioned. It'll take care of itself.

There are so many people over at nc.com who have been curly since birth but hated their hair because they and their parents never learned how to care for it. The curls might stay, they might go away, it all depends, and you can't really control it. Some people get curly with hormonal changes (puberty, childbirth) and others are curly for life. Maybe she'll be one of the latter. :D

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
That's so cute, I bet she and her hair are just adorable :)

Caring for curls does not have to be hard or a lot of work. Just treat it gently (no ripping through tangles, OUCH!) and keep it well conditioned. It'll take care of itself.

There are so many people over at nc.com who have been curly since birth but hated their hair because they and their parents never learned how to care for it. The curls might stay, they might go away, it all depends, and you can't really control it. Some people get curly with hormonal changes (puberty, childbirth) and others are curly for life. Maybe she'll be one of the latter. :D

I know there will come a point when she wants nothing to do with me messing with her hair but I figure I'll give her the best start I can. :) Its funny b/c my other daughter's hair is coming in poker straight. the irony is that they will probably grow up each wanting the others hair, lol.

jojo
April 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
my daughter developed curls at the same age as your daughter and at the age of 20 they are now spirals, when she doesn't straighten them, she needs guiding to this site!

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I know. I have to beg my husband to stop washing her hair. He's just so in the routine of get them in the tub and get them clean, :).

I try to only shampoo once a week. A lot of the time I will just wet it and run my hands through to check for food or other misc toddlers findings. A couple times a week I have been CO which makes the curls just dreamy.

It does get to be a big fuzz ball after she sleeps on it but I have found spritzing water and/or detangler has helped a lot with that.

Yup, I keep a spritz bottle of distilled water mixed with a lil oil and cone free conish for the morning comb.I remember the fuzzy huge knot mornings when her hair started growing in. Her hair which is now just a lil past apl when wet, and shoulder when dry would have grown alot faster had i know how to care for it then. I don't wash her hair much now as well because her curls like more moisture and her scalp doesn't get greasy. I use a poo bar on her head as well and an a warm acv rinse or cone free condish. And of course oiling after her wash makes a huge difference.

CurlyNinja
April 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I know there will come a point when she wants nothing to do with me messing with her hair but I figure I'll give her the best start I can. :) Its funny b/c my other daughter's hair is coming in poker straight. the irony is that they will probably grow up each wanting the others hair, lol.

Haha! I know how that is...

My nephew has the most lovely 3A curls in the world (he's 5 this summer) and my niece, his sister, is a 1A! She's just over 3 years old)

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Yup, I keep a spritz bottle of distilled water mixed with a lil oil and cone free conish for the morning comb.I remember the fuzzy huge knot mornings when her hair started growing in. Her hair which is now just a lil past apl when wet, and shoulder when dry would have grown alot faster had i know how to care for it then. I don't wash her hair much now as well because her curls like more moisture and her scalp doesn't get greasy. I use a poo bar on her head as well and an a warm acv rinse or cone free condish. And of course oiling after her wash makes a huge difference.

What type of oil and what is cone free conish? Sorry I'm new I'mm still learning all this stuff?

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM
cone free conish?
I think she typoed on conish and meant: silicone free conditioner :)

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I think she typoed on conish and meant: silicone free conditioner :)

Ok, after I typed that I thought maybe thats what she meant. I dont understand how to know if things are cone free or not. I looked at my ingredients in my stuff and I dont see anything with "cone" but its stuff like head and shoulders and Sauve which I think do have comes. Are cones the same as Sodium Laurel Sulfate?

angelthadiva
April 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
DD6 is naturally curly, and I don't foresee her curls going any where. Her hair is nearly waist length. I too, had the same issue w/DH washing her hair too much...Now, he asks me first..."Do you want her hair washed or not?" :D Her hair is only washed about 2x a week. She's probably a 3c/4a, but not all over...If her hair were shorter, it would be much curlier.

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Ok, after I typed that I thought maybe thats what she meant. I dont understand how to know if things are cone free or not. I looked at my ingredients in my stuff and I dont see anything with "cone" but its stuff like head and shoulders and Sauve which I think do have comes. Are cones the same as Sodium Laurel Sulfate?

Sodium laurel sulfate is a cheap detergent used in most shampoos to clean and lather.sulfates come in many names which usually end with sulfate. It is actually very harsh on hair which is why alot of people use sulfate free shampoos. My sulfate free poo is by Avalon its called b-complex with biotin and there biotin condish is also *cone free* anything WITH CONES will end with cone. I also have VO5 tea therapy condish and,Labella placenta condish which is my fav and smells like roses.

tomm
April 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
... Are cones the same as Sodium Laurel Sulfate?
Nope - Sodium Laurel Sulfate is a surfactant (cleanser), its role is to clean the hair and remove build up.

For a shampoo, any good baby shampoo should work just fine for your DD. Another option, if you have a Walgreen's near you, is Walgreen's Clear and Natural Fragrance Free shampoo. It's more expensive than baby shampoo and it is not a no-tears formula, but it is very gentle. I have been using for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with the results.

I don't have a recommendation for a conditioner - but you can probably use almost any commercial baby de-tangler product.

I hope this helps.

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Nope - Sodium Laurel Sulfate is a surfactant (cleanser), its role is to clean the hair and remove build up.

For a shampoo, any good baby shampoo should work just fine for your DD. Another option, if you have a Walgreen's near you, is Walgreen's Clear and Natural Fragrance Free shampoo. It's more expensive than baby shampoo and it is not a no-tears formula, but it is very gentle. I have been using for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with the results.

I don't have a recommendation for a conditioner - but you can probably use almost any commercial baby de-tangler product.

I hope this helps.

keep in mind baby shampoo is harsh on hair (atleast for me it dries it out), and I for one woudl never use it on my DD hair. i'd rather invest in a good shampoo that will nourish her hair and scalp. That just my :twocents:

tomm
April 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
keep in mind baby shampoo is harsh on hair
I know that some people won't use baby shampoo because you can't match the normal pH balance of hair and still make the product No-Tears. Since you don't need to use very much on a baby's small head, and since you are shampooing only infrequently, I wouldn't think there was much risk. Once the child is old enough not to need a no-tears formula, you can switch to another product.

The surfactants, however, generally are regarded as very mild. Is your experience different?

rubyann
April 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
My DD is 5. She has lovely curly hair. She was baldish till about 2 years old.

I use natural soap and vinegar rinses interspersed with CO's. I used CO exclusively for several years. I've only begun using hair soap in the last couple of months. I'm beginning to think that CO is the method of choice for her curls. They need lots of moisture. I do hope her curls hang around, I love them so!

I use a mixture of H20, 4 squirts of FOTE AVG and a drop or two of avocado oil in a two ounce mister to detangle and reset her curls for the day.

Little ones with curls need the same kind of care as grown up curlies, IMHO. When washing her hair, she holds a dry wash cloth that she can use to cover her face while rinsing, which effectively keeps the hurtful stuff out of her eyes. She hates water in her face anyway. It took her a very short time to accustom herself to this routine. I usually detangle with conditioner in her hair, with the shower running through her hair. Works very well.

I find that curly hair is not too hard to take care of with the right tools. I'm hoping that growing up with proper care for her hair will inspire her to care for it with love.

Curlsgirl
April 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I had curls just like I do now when I was 2 (I have pics!). They did straighten up quite a bit for a few years (from about age 6-9) but then sprang right out again and stayed.

shellblue1
April 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
She won't necessarily lose them. My hair was in ringlets when I was little. My hair is still a mix of wavy/curly.

shellblue1
April 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah, and one more thing, when I was little my mom used Johnson & Johnson No More Tears Detangler on my hair after she washed it (which was maybe once a week). That product worked great for detangling curls.

cuddledumplin
April 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I was born with curls, but people thought I'd lose mine, and I haven't. With my hair short, I look like Shirley Temple. (The weight of my long hair pulls out a lot of the curl).

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I know that some people won't use baby shampoo because you can't match the normal pH balance of hair and still make the product No-Tears. Since you don't need to use very much on a baby's small head, and since you are shampooing only infrequently, I wouldn't think there was much risk. Once the child is old enough not to need a no-tears formula, you can switch to another product.

The surfactants, however, generally are regarded as very mild. Is your experience different?

My dd's hair hates this and would knot horribly. I also tried it on mine a few weeks ago and it wat matted soooo bad and dry *ekk*