PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp - how long for things to turn around?

Jenny.Wren
July 8th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I’ve been suffering with an itchy scalp for about 2 years now. I left it for 18 months before I saw the doctor and have since tried all sorts of medicated shampoos, none of which did anything. The doctor then prescribed a Betnovate (steroid scalp application). This helped but has never cleared it 100% and I’m aware that this shouldn’t be used long term. I stopped using betnovate about 2.5 weeks ago (as instructed by my GP). I’ve seen him a few times to monitor things.

During my last visit to my GP I suggested perhaps chemical hair dyes was the culprit - the last one used was 7 weeks ago. So 4 weeks ago I started to use Lush henna and 3 weeks ago I started to use sulphate free shampoos and am doing ACV rinses (leave it in) and using coconut oil.

There are some days where I feel that I’m “cured” :D, ie I can have a good weekend but on Monday it feels itchy again!

I made contact with Chagrin Valley about their shampoo bars and they replied to say that itchy scalp was VERY common, probably from years of use from commercial shampoos.

It’s funny, coz last night I massaged coconut oil into my scalp and this morning I’m feeling itchy :(

I have no redness, scabs, sores, obvious flaking, just itchiness here and there - sometimes not even enough to scratch my head but I just know it’s there.

So now I’m wondering how long things take to start to improve with the changes I've made? Am I expecting too much too soon?

Celebrian
July 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I’ve been suffering with an itchy scalp for about 2 years now. I left it for 18 months before I saw the doctor and have since tried all sorts of medicated shampoos, none of which did anything. The doctor then prescribed a Betnovate (steroid scalp application). This helped but has never cleared it 100% and I’m aware that this shouldn’t be used long term. I stopped using betnovate about 2.5 weeks ago (as instructed by my GP). I’ve seen him a few times to monitor things.

During my last visit to my GP I suggested perhaps chemical hair dyes was the culprit - the last one used was 7 weeks ago. So 4 weeks ago I started to use Lush henna and 3 weeks ago I started to use sulphate free shampoos and am doing ACV rinses (leave it in) and using coconut oil.

There are some days where I feel that I’m “cured” :D, ie I can have a good weekend but on Monday it feels itchy again!

I made contact with Chagrin Valley about their shampoo bars and they replied to say that itchy scalp was VERY common, probably from years of use from commercial shampoos.

It’s funny, coz last night I massaged coconut oil into my scalp and this morning I’m feeling itchy :(

I have no redness, scabs, sores, obvious flaking, just itchiness here and there - sometimes not even enough to scratch my head but I just know it’s there.

So now I’m wondering how long things take to start to improve with the changes I've made? Am I expecting too much too soon?

Well, I'm suprised no'one has answered you earlier - seeing as I thought there was once a thread on this very subject!

I don't know loads, really, but I will say that I'm no stranger to an itchy scalp or skin. In my case, I think it's partly when I get stressed about things, and it undoubtedly worsens when I concentrate on it.

Like you, I have NO redness, flaking or any other sign.

I can get this on my bodyskin very easily as well - with no signs to show for it! So I sympathise...

If the itching is due to hair dyes/products, you may have recurrent itching for some time to come UNLESS you can quite quickly work out what your scalp will tolerate. I'm thinking of my husband, here - who triggered an allergy to some aftershave a few years ago, and still maintains that any of them could set his skin off again. As a consequence - I have an almost unperfumed husband. :rolleyes:

Have you considered some kind of herbal carmative - thinking of approaching this systemically? Just a thought. I sometimes take Kalms periodically, and that can help.

As for the scalp, I suspect that hair-masks, applied regularly, would be soothing for you. The only question is, what would your scalp like? I'm thinking of something like Olive oil with a few drops of Lavender/Chamomile/Peppermint or your favourite essential oils, massaged in and left for a few hours or overnight prior to shampooing with non sulphate shampoos etc.

I just thought - you've used cone shampoos & conditioners, haven't you? Just wonder if your scalp might prefer you to cut those out, and go fully no-cone.

Ok, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come in here soon!

Hope something I've said will help you, Jenny.Wren. :D

Try 'search' on 'itchy scalp'. I found a few for you, but this one interested me. See what you think.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21593&highlight=itching+scalp

Jenny.Wren
July 9th, 2009, 01:41 AM
hey thanks Celebrian :D, was hoping for a few more replies too :(

Yesterday I purchased Hair Doctor from Lush. It's a pre-wash hair/scalp mask which contains all the goodies you suggested. I have checked the ingredients and there is nothing nasty in there. It says to leave for 20 minutes but perhaps I will leave it on a bit longer.

Yep, I have been using cones but my sulfate frees shampoo and conditioner doesn't have any so that's a step forward, however I do need a little serum in my hair coz it's thick and curly but I try not to let it come into contact with my scalp.

Cheers for the link. I did have a search around and this one didn't come up so thanks :)

Like you, the more I think about it, the more it itches :eyebrows:

disoriented
July 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Yesterday I purchased Hair Doctor from Lush. It's a pre-wash hair/scalp mask which contains all the goodies you suggested. I have checked the ingredients and there is nothing nasty in there. It says to leave for 20 minutes but perhaps I will leave it on a bit longer. :eyebrows:I've been suffering from exactly the same thing. No flakiness, no redness, just itchy even just after I wash my hair. I once tried Lush's Hair Doctor and another pre-wash (the one which has a complicated Chinese name). NO! Though they were expensive, neither had any effect on my scalp. Then I tried "Snake Oil" (couldn't resist it with this cheeky name;)) which is a solid pre-shampoo conditioner for a flaky scalp. Surprisingly, that actually worked for me! My itchiness kind of stopped for a month. :)

What I am going to try next is "vinegar & honey rinsing" which I never knew before I joined LHC. I might try malt vinegar first.

I thank both Jenny.Wren and Celebrian! Without this thread, I would never find that "Amla and/or white vinegar...."thread. I searched and searched for this itchness problem.

Celebrian
July 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Jenny.Wren, Hair Doctor is quite a good idea, I think. See how it goes - it's certainly 'cooling' on the head!!

Disorientated (how well that describes me!) I'm glad you like the Amla/vinegar recipe. It does look good. Might try it myself...

sassy
July 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
You can try regular yogurt on your scalp. Apply the yogurt on your scalp, leave it for 20-25 minutes and then do your regular shampooing. It might help.