PDA

View Full Version : help with hair

maaria
July 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Hi. I need some advise from you in here. I´m going abroad for a two weeks. The only chans I have to wash my hair is in the ocean beacuse we dont have any freshwater to shower in. How can I protect my poor hair?? Just wash with condicioner or... my hair gets so lank evertime I´m at our sommerhouse..ofcourse I will take with me my waterspraybottle so I can fix my hair in the morgnings, but then what??, how to protect and make it look fresh??:rolleyes:

manderly
July 8th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Wow. Where are you going where you won't have access to fresh water?

I would really suggest you just put your hair up, cover it, and forget it. DO NOT wash it with sea water, you'll just have a dry, scraggly mess.

:flower:

ETA: Maybe use a dry "airing powder" or dry shampoo to help absorb greasies.

Coriander
July 8th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Wow... no fresh water?

I would suggest learning how to do a lot of braids and buns if you want to keep it up. Conditioner and salt water - I don't know how well those two would mix.

All the best! Have a great trip!

Eolan
July 8th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'm thinking if you don't have fresh water in the house, for sure you have to buy/get bottles of fresh water else where to drink, no? Then you can use some of that water to wash your hair, at least now and then.

Calista
July 8th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Rather than wash it in the sea I wouldn´t wash it at all. Maybe you can wear a bandana on your head all the time? I do that when I go hiking in the fjell. It won´t harm your hair to go without a wash, but it would probably look awful at your length, hence the bandana.

maaria
July 8th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Thanx everyone for your advise:flower:
I´m (and my family) is going to stay in Pyhäjoki /Finland.
If you visit google earth and look for Pyhäjoki there is then a house called "Wuotilan puhto", that´s my father´s home from his childhood, and that house built in year 1700. It´s little spooky but it´s alright. The ocean is only 5km from the hous, if you walk to the beach it will take maybe an hour:):hollie: and then you get some exercise too..
Ok, then I´ll put up my hair, it´s not so long but I try. It´s going to get wet when i swim, but then I just let it airdry? And put up again??:o:hmm:

manderly
July 8th, 2009, 02:42 AM
But surely there must be fresh water somewhere?! :confused:

One cannot live in a home without a stream or a well or something. How would they have cooked? Cleaned? Laundry? Wash bodies/hair?

Surely your father didn't bathe in the sea during his entire youth? :)

maaria
July 8th, 2009, 02:54 AM
They had a "waterplace" there they took up water with a bucket. That was their freshwater at that time.
When we are staying there we got freshwater from the gas station, for cooking and dishwashing. Of course I can wash my hair in that water but then you got to have a lot of water, and then you warm it up before. We have a camipngcookingset with us, then you need gas to make it work. But it´s not a problem, it´s just me who is lazy beacuse I´m on vacation. I thin that Calista had a good tip, use a bandana.:)

manderly
July 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
You could always just stick your head in the cold bucket if your really need to do a wash :D

maaria
July 8th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Yes, thanx for the tip :D

Gulbahar
July 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM
You can wash your hair with very little water. And cold water too. If it is really necessary. ;-) And otherwise I second the idea of a bandana or any other way to just cover your head.
When I spent some time at the sea I always used to rinse my hair with fresh water after swimming in the ocean. I never had to wash often. Somehow the salt took care of the oils.

maaria
July 8th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Ok, good to know. Thanx;)

aisling
July 9th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Ocean? I don't think you can call our Baltic Sea the ocean exactly, way too small and not enough salt for that :) It's just the sea really. What you definitely shouldn't do with the poor Baltic Sea is add any kind of chemicals into it, it's polluted enough as it is and does not need any more stuff thrown into it, no CO washing hair there! Even if it seems like a little thing, the every summer algae problem doesn't need any extra nutrition.

maaria
July 9th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Hi hi you are right, it´s sea, I have litte problems with englishwords sometimes, sorry:o.