PDA

View Full Version : "Short hair makes you appear thinner"

rogue_psyche
July 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Or so they say. As a curvy girl (hello euphemism!), I'm interested in seeing your opinions on this hairdresser adage to keep girls like me coming back to "take a few pounds off."

My two cents: I've seen before and after pics of other curvy girls on here, and it seems that, at least from behind, all the hair makes the body look smaller in comparison. Not sure about how updos affect it because people rarely post full body shots of their updos.

But what do you think?

DragonLady
July 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I think the opposite is true. Nothing makes my hips look wider or my tummy look bigger than having my hair cropped short.

Calista
July 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, that´s a new one. :bigeyes:

This is just my very personal opinion, but: I think it is very rare for a plus-sized or even curvy woman to look good with short hair. OTOH I find pixie cuts absolutely adorable on very slim, slightly boyish women. :inlove:

Long hair on a woman is feminine, and curves on a woman are also feminine, so IMO those two go together well.

AJoifulNoise
July 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I looked like a chubby chipmunk toting acorns in my cheeks when I had short hair. *shudders* Looks great on the chipmunk, but not on me.

krissykins
July 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I don't agree with this at all. I'm only slightly curvy, but when I cut my waist-length hair to about collarbone-length a few years ago, my mom kept prattling on about how I looked so much skinnier, although I felt a lot bigger than I actually was.

So personally, I think that is a load of bull.

KajiKodomo
July 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Short haircuts are supposed to draw the eye to the face and away from the body. That makes me mad myself because it essentially says that bigger people's bodies shouldn't be looked at. I won't go into all of my issues with that here though, haha.

If short hair is supposed to make you thinner though, wouldn't an updo be essentially the same, especially with a few face-framing fringey bits that hang down?

Either way, I don't think hair can make you look thinner or bigger. You are what you are, and no hairstyle is going to change your weight or how others see it. It's not like heavier people with short hair grow it out and everyone says, "OMG, I didn't know you were fat! Your haircut totally disguised that!"

I'm rambling, but I just don't think hair has anything to do with people's perceptions of your weight. *shrugs*

vampodrama
July 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I used to frequent on all sorts of pro-ana forums back when I was really.... ah, messed in the head, and it was a very common "tip" - cut your hair, you will look slimmer.

Sounded like a no-brainer at that time, but hello, not eating kinda makes your brain wither and die, so.... I dunno what's up with it either.

enfys
July 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Well if you cut it and gel it up then you could add a few inches to your height, so the ratio would be...
A bun can add width to your head...
Since you spend so much on haircuts you can't afford food...

Nope. I'm struggling.

Bene
July 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
maybe short poofy hair makes the head look bigger so that it looks more in proportion with the body?

Fractalsofhair
July 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Depends on what you define as long, and chubby. For a very slightly overweight woman with a slim face, a cut that frames her face or brings out the angles in it looks great! For a very heavy woman with a round face, a bob will really just bring it out or any cut that shows the roundness of her face.(Any cut that decreases the appearance of angles will do that!) The best way to look slimer is to dress in clothes that fit well though! I do have curves, but am a healthy weight, so I'm probably not the best person to ask thought! There are many different shapes in heavier women though, so one woman who's shape might be described as spherical(As I am a triangle, or another woman might be a pear, and a super skinny model is a ruler etc), will have to dress differently and have a different haircut than a woman with an hourglass shape, if she wants to look "pretty" with a few extra pounds.(Pretty is a very subjective word, and I'm sure many guys prefer women that are heavy but take care of themselves and are healthy compared to freakishly thin girls that have signs of eating disorders etc, for relationships at least, but in this case I mean the most conventionally flattering look. I know my boyfriend likes my chest and sure, he'd love it if I had perfectly flat abs, but not if I had to look like a twig everywhere where I have the curves that he's attracted to! XD). I would think long hair if it was waist length or longer would hide some extra pounds since long lines tend to slim out the body! (And hair, if it lies down, is generally a line in appearance). You can also frame your face with just a few short layers in the front, or a flattering updo, makeup, a shirt and many other methods than a haircut. If you're wearing a really baggy ratty teeshirt, no makeup(If one doesn't have good skin or has dark circles etc.), and have your hair in a plain ponytail, that isn't flattering to anyone. But not a lot of women would do that for a date(As most guys try to look nice in their own ways as well.), so we fairly easily know what flatters us, and can easily skip a few of those, such as a complicated haircut, and still look nice. I'd say wearing a properly fitting bra, shirt, and pants will hide a few pounds more easily than a complicated hairstyle. But that's just my opinion.

junkyschristmas
July 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I look like a bowling pin when I have a pixie cut (due to pear shaped body). I think longer hair balances me out... kinda like boot leg jeans balance my hips out on the other end...

florenonite
July 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
This sounds like BS to me. From what I've seen, long hair, particularly if it's curly or thick, makes the body look smaller. I think this is because the hair:body ratio is smaller when there's more hair.

Bene
July 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
i just looked it up http://beauty.about.com/od/cutcoloradvice/ss/sizesandhair_5.htm

they say:

"Straight hair only accentuates a curvy body. It's like an arrow pointing straight down to your hips. "

and

"A better look for curvy girls is long, wavy or curly hair. It balances out the curves in your body. "

further reading, they mention stuff for the busty ladies :)

"You're proud of your girls and like to show them off. Good for you! Just don't wear hair up in a sleek 'do. Why? When hair is up and away from your face, your girls are on prominent display. They're front and center. " and "A sexier look is down and wavy. Bring attention to your hair, not your boobs. They shouldn't be so front and center. "

Unofficial_Rose
July 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I actually think longer hair looks better on plump women than shorter hair would do. Proportions and balance, as others have said.

I'm about a size 12 (UK) not sure what that is in US sizes - it's kind of inbetween - and I've had my hair cut shorter and been told I've put on weight (when I haven't). Probably because shorter hair makes my round face look fatter. Besides, if you're not slim, you may not have the sharp jawline needed to make a short haircut work.

Bene
July 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
another site (http://www.lhj.com/style/hair/styles/the-best-haircut-for-your-body-shape/)

Body type: Curvy and full Do: Go for a layered, medium-length cut. An angled look will camouflage extra pounds. Try side parts and bangs for a soft, complementary look to your curves. Don't: Stay away from hair that is too short and close to the head or, in the opposite spectrum, long and very full. Round-shaped styles, like a curly, shoulder-length style with lots of height and width, are also not for you.

Niphredil
July 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, whatever the most recent 'hot' opinion on style is.
I tend to think that long hair can actually accentjate the positive features (not sure how to properly translate that into English, but I think you'll get my point anyway) of a curvy or full lady. I does depend on the length and the cut though, which should match the shape of the person's body.
Long hair worn in the face can slim a full face (which is why I should avoid that look as my face is really oblong).
And also longhair worn lose can actually hide some of the features considered negative by most.

But then, it mostly depends on the exact shape of someone, facial shape, body shape (not just full-figured but also where the most weight is placed on the body) how one can accentuate those features that are considered (by that person her/himself) most positive.

Also, mainstream opinions are bound to change very fast, what is 'done' one year, could be 'not-done' the next. Whether one wants to follow or not is entirely an individual decision.

wiggleit76
July 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I think it depends very much on your face shape rather than body shape, and how short you are thinking.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Nothing and I mean NOTHING makes my face look more over weight and bloated than short hair on me.

faeflame
July 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Through the years my weight/size has ranged all over the place up and down and my hair has been at various stages of growth with it. When I've been my heaviest I've felt I looked better with my hair long, especially long and full of body and curls from a perm. I couldn't stand putting my hair up because then my head looked so out of proportion to the rest of me. However, when I was a tiny 5", 95 lber I did wear a pixie cut and it looked just peachy for that body shape. I think it is just a matter of proportion for me-- the more there is of me the more hair (volume and length) I need to feel comfy with my look. So yeah, I think short hair for larger ladies is a BS rule just like purple poodle dos for older ones.............

Tap Dancer
July 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Or so they say. As a curvy girl (hello euphemism!), I'm interested in seeing your opinions on this hairdresser adage to keep girls like me coming back to "take a few pounds off."

The only way to "take a few pounds off" is to exercise those pounds off. Flattering clothing and hair might help you look good, but those things are only temporary helpers. Anyway, I don't believe that short hair will make a person look thinner.

Emichiee
July 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM

My two cents: I've seen before and after pics of other curvy girls on here, and it seems that, at least from behind, all the hair makes the body look smaller in comparison. Not sure about how updos affect it because people rarely post full body shots of their updos.

But what do you think?

IMO hair does not do anything to your figure..it is hair not a piece of clothing.
People that are trying to say hair can make you look shorter, thinner, younger, heavier are bored hairdressers or stylists that are trying to read too much into the subject "hair"..
Maybe because they want to sound extra smart...:shrug: don't worry about them.

Rentlle
July 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I also would say the opposite.. :s
if your hair is long that's a vertical line. And "they" say that vertical lines let you appear less "curvy"

florenonite
July 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
i just looked it up http://beauty.about.com/od/cutcoloradvice/ss/sizesandhair_5.htm

I love how to them "long" is somewhere in the realm of APL :p

Heidi_234
July 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Short hair makes your face look fatter, and by short I mean above the shoulder short. :p
Otherwise, I hardly see how it plays a role. Another rather unsuccessful myth to ensure money flowing into the hair styling industry. I keep the hair scissors to myself.

Rain
July 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Wow, that´s a new one. :bigeyes:

This is just my very personal opinion, but: I think it is very rare for a plus-sized or even curvy woman to look good with short hair. OTOH I find pixie cuts absolutely adorable on very slim, slightly boyish women. :inlove:

Long hair on a woman is feminine, and curves on a woman are also feminine, so IMO those two go together well.

I completely agree. I find the most flattering length on me to be anywhere from about waist to tailbone. My bodacious badonkadonk is highlighted, not obscured. I think I can pull off a short bob prettywell too but a pixie would be tragic.

ETA: Short and curvy. And on the bigger side but curvy when little as well.

Nightshade
July 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, this must be right up there with black looking you look thinner. I have a friend that jokes that I must really weigh a ton, but it's just all the black I wear ;)

I'd love for the people who come up with this stuff to get a hobby or something :rolleyes:

rose_in_bloom
July 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Oh wow, to me it is the opposite. I think long hair (especially if it's curly and voluminous) makes people look thinner. I am not overweight, but I would not be considered "thin", and I find that I look much slimmer when my hair is long.

Toadstool
July 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Losing weight makes you appear thinner.

Heidi_234
July 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Oh, this must be right up there with black looking you look thinner. I have a friend that jokes that I must really weigh a ton, but it's just all the black I wear ;)

I'd love for the people who come up with this stuff to get a hobby or something :rolleyes:
So I probably seem to be non-existent to other people, I wear black usually (easiest color to match :laugh:). Oh wait, so that's why... :ponder:
*off to change to a eye killing bright pink top, with horizontal stripes(!!)* :p

masterofmidgets
July 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Like a lot of people upthread, I have to disagree with this. I'm short and round, and back when I had a pixie cut I looked ridiculous, like I had a bowling ball balanced on top of my body. Longer hair makes me look more balanced, I think - more in proportion. I don't know if it makes me look thinner, per se, but it definitely makes me look better.

may1em
July 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I think that our culture hates female fat so much that the idea that a fat woman could be pretty is just too much for people, so there's a collective desire to take away any beauty she has and convince her somehow that it's for the best.

Kind of like the sad (and incorrect) notion that an older woman can't (and shouldn't) be pretty, and that "you are too old for all that hair."

I say [expletive deleted] that [expletive deleted] and do what makes you happy.

ETA: Just to be clear, I think there are A LOT of older and larger women out there who are absolutely gorgeous. I think what I'm trying to get at is the idea (prevalent in American society) that beauty should be the exclusive territory of the young and fit. But that's not the way it works, and I think people are threatened by finding beauty in people who are supposed to be unattractive. I hope I'm not digging myself into a hole here.

* removes foot from mouth *

Rain
July 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Like a lot of people upthread, I have to disagree with this. I'm short and round, and back when I had a pixie cut I looked ridiculous, like I had a bowling ball balanced on top of my body. Longer hair makes me look more balanced, I think - more in proportion. I don't know if it makes me look thinner, per se, but it definitely makes me look better.

That is exactly how I think I look when I've got all my hair pulled back right now. Which is one reason I cut it short enough to wear down.

Arctic_Mama
July 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I think how flattering a cut is depends on three things:

1. The texture of your hair
2. Your face shape
3. How confident you feel wearing it

Long hair can look flattering on just about everyone, shorter cuts are much more finicky. And quite frankly, if you love your hair long or short you will likely look better in your preferred length, whatever it may be, because you will be projecting confidence and self-love. The blanket idea that one should have a particular cut just because it may or may not flatter your body shape is silly if the person wearing the cut would feel better with something else.

theshadowpuppet
July 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Well, I notice that my neck and features do look smaller when my hair is up. But my neck is a toothpick like the rest of me, so that doesn't apply.

In general long hair makes people look smaller, since it has more volume and covers more of you.

dragonfrog
July 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I think only a select few look really good with quite short hair, but most people look really good with long hair.

There was a girl in my classes last semester who was very short and very overweight. However, she had really beautiful wavy midback hair (and a pretty, friendly face) that I often noticed and admired. I wish I'd told her how much I liked her hair (she graduated); I think it was remarkably pretty, and I liked how she did something with it every day (she often wore half-ups).

windinherhair
July 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I am sure there are a lot of views on this... but for me, longer hair has always made me feel more secure and confident in myself, including my appearance. I was chubbier when I was little, and I had a desire from a very young age to grow out my hair. Although I really dont think that longer or shorter hair makes one look heavier or thinner.

thankyousir74
July 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Losing weight makes you appear thinner.

Lol, well put. Another vote for long hair looking nice on curvy ladies.

Tangles
July 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Thick hair with volume does, though, and often shoulder-to-APL has more volume than long hair does. The statement is wrong, but this is probably the true reason why some people might think it.

noelgirl
July 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I've only really found short hair to make the already-thin look thinner. Someone who's very thin or has a long neck might look less "skinny" with long hair worn down because it fills up the space around the neck and shoulders, but I don't think it's accurate as a blanket statement. Also, good hair is an asset like any other. Flaunting it by growing it long is just as flattering as anything else you would do to play up your better features. If beauty really is about making the best of what you're given, then it should follow that having long, gorgeous hair can only help.

St.Germain
July 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I've always been under the impression that shorter hair will make my face look round. This is probably due to the fact that the last time my hair was above my shoulders, I was 6 or 7, and had not yet outgrown my 'chipmunk cheeks'.

I could probably pull off short hair now, but why on earth would I want to?

NeilTheFuzz
July 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Personally I'm not sure, so I asked my girlfriend (who has short hair) and she doesn't think it makes a difference. In her case anyway.

LittleOrca
July 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I always heard that larger people should either have very short hair or very long hair, and very long in this sense I think is APL (since the fashion industry is odd when it comes to hair). I never listened to them. I had short, short hair once and I looked no thinner with that than I do with longer hair. The longer hair makes me happy too, so who cares. I am not here to please anyone but me. :)

Aunteater
July 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure. But here's my two cents:

Chopping your hair off may make you look thinner. That's debatable. But in most cases, it won't make you look more attractive. And what is it you really want, when you try to look thinner? You don't want to look thinner for thinness sake, you want to look thinner because thinner is part of our cultural definition of attractiveness. But if looking thinner makes you look less attractive, what's the point?

In my own personal case, my face isn't much to look at, but I get lots of compliments on my hair. When I chopped my hair off, I had no looks left-- I was suddenly all nose! Perhaps I looked thinner. But nobody mentioned it-- mostly people said things like "Why did you cut it? You had such pretty hair?" I think long hair is a wonderful accent to a pretty face. But it's also a wonderful compensation for a not-so-pretty face ;)

Fiferstone
July 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I agree with most people and say that long or short really doesn't make a difference in how "thin" you look. What matters is how you feel about it. I feel that I look better with longer hair and I certainly think I've got more options with long hair than I have when my hair is short.

Natalia
July 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I think it depends more on body type than weight. The only "advantage" of having short hair if your curvy is that it can accentuate your cheek bones and jaw line. But so can a 2 dollor bronzer :p ot a few face framing layers. To me long hair makes you look thinner becasue if you have a round face it elongates it by making more shadows. Id rather see a happy person with a great cut (long or short) than someone tyring to make themselves look thinner.

LadyEliza
July 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
LOL

Sorry, that's all I can say :)

Nyghtingale
July 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I think long hair makes me look thinner.

longhairedfairy
July 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Short hair would make my face look HUGE. I've always noticed that short hair makes most faces appear wider.

MomoKoNoHanna
July 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Skinner? no ... More proportion? maybe ...
I aggree and disagree. My Mum is over weight (but she is doing a great job of getting healthier and fit) and she has had a short pixie curl cut ever since she got married with my Dad. She has a square face (so do i) so I believe the pixie cut frames her face better and brings it more into proportion with the body but thats about it. Now that she is loosing weight, I don't think the hair cut is making her thinner. Because when ever I go up for a visit and I notice she lost weight around her waiste I notice instantly. Because I'm focusing on her waiste not her hair cut. I am currently growing out a pixie (it is now nearly at shoulder length) I think it brings more focuse on my face then my the rest of my body. So I guess its a no from me. I have some belly fat (I'm only 5kg over what 'I should be') but I don't believe my hair cut makes me look smaller. I would love to see Mum with long hair :) but I do love her curls (when they cut it short it went curly for some reason) she used to have gorgious long light brown hair when she was young (streight naturally)

MAO
July 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Nope! Sorry the exact opposite is true. I know this from personal experience and personally, I do NOT think short hair looks good on larger peeps. :liar:

Buddaphlyy
July 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I think hair dresser will say anything to get people to let them chop their hair off. Even though I'm naturally thin, I look even thinner with long hair.

psvzum
July 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I think it depends purely on the individual's bone structure and not stature. When I was heavy (over 200 lbs) I wore my hair very long and later had it cut quite short. The short cut just accentuated my double/triple chin.

Flynn
July 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM

But what do you think?

Generally speaking, no. Perhaps it makes your body look slimmer because there is nothing hanging down to "scale" it with, but I tend to think it does nothing for the face. But... overall, I don't think it makes any difference, and don't understand why you would anyway. You gotta love your body!

(Incidentally, I object to the shanghai'ing of the term "curvy". It traditionally refers to women like Marylin Monroe.)

aksown
July 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I third the bowling ball comparison. I have yet to find a short hairstyle that would look good on a woman my size and body shape. It aggravates me to no end to hear people say that I should have a short cut. :justy:

Gypsy
July 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Long hair balances out my curves; short hair makes them obvious in an unflattering way.

Elbereth
July 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Short hair would *make* me thinner because I would have to pay for a stylist every month just to look decent (not even spectacularly gorgeous, just decent).

Now that I need only a slight trim (done by DH) twice a year or so, I have all that extra money I can spend on chocolate and cheese... :cheese:

Debra83
July 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM
My friend was overweight with short hair and (she has a roundish face), and overweight with long hair, and she looked much thinner with long hair. Same with my mom, come to think of it. When I had short hair and was overweight I felt bigger too.

Kylis
July 8th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I agree that it's not about the length of your hair, but about how you feel and think it looks. My personal taste definitely prefers long hair and I think it looks good on almost everybody, but that is just the matter of taste.
I remember, when in my danceclass, when I was a teenager, my teacher told me that I should have blond hair, because dark hair made me look shorter, because dark hair really shows where my head ends. Yeah, right ....... so I suppose with blond hair, nobody can tell how tall I am, because there's just no end to my head...... :rolleyes: I thought it was really funny.

flapjack
July 8th, 2009, 03:59 AM
(Incidentally, I object to the shanghai'ing of the term "curvy". It traditionally refers to women like Marylin Monroe.)

This, absolutely. And I also dislike the comparisons between "curvy" and feminine/"thin" and boyish. These are clearly wrong.

Generally speaking, I think longer hair makes people's bodies look longer vertically, especially from the back. So that makes the wearer look a bit thinner than they are, imo.

Fethenwen
July 8th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure. But here's my two cents:

Chopping your hair off may make you look thinner. That's debatable. But in most cases, it won't make you look more attractive. And what is it you really want, when you try to look thinner? You don't want to look thinner for thinness sake, you want to look thinner because thinner is part of our cultural definition of attractiveness. But if looking thinner makes you look less attractive, what's the point?

In my own personal case, my face isn't much to look at, but I get lots of compliments on my hair. When I chopped my hair off, I had no looks left-- I was suddenly all nose! Perhaps I looked thinner. But nobody mentioned it-- mostly people said things like "Why did you cut it? You had such pretty hair?" I think long hair is a wonderful accent to a pretty face. But it's also a wonderful compensation for a not-so-pretty face ;)
This is such a good point! It may make someone look thinner, God knows how, but it may not look flattering to the face. But there are of course exceptions, some body types I guess really does look more flattering with shorter hair. But then again, it has so much to do with the person on what sort of hair she/he feels most comfortable in.

"I think long hair is a wonderful accent to a pretty face. But it's also a wonderful compensation for a not-so-pretty face.":p This is so true, one of the reasons I'm growing it out again. Short hair did bring out my less flattering features, like my chin just jumped out of my face! Never again.
Long hair also made me look thinner, I remember those times when I had about APL length, my neck for instance looked really long and sleek.
Now when I have just collar bone length, it does make my shoulders appear really broad.

free_hug
July 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, my opinion too is that it's the other way round. Bigger people look proportionate with bigger hairs, skinnies get away looking cute with a pixie.

Be very careful with that hairdresser.

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I think longer hair makes you appear thinner....when it's long and loose, it draws the eye down your body instead of across.

...and also your body being thinner makes your hair appear longer. I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with being bigger - Lord knows I'm NOT a skinny woman!! - but it's an optical illusion.

Wicked Princess
July 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Please do not take this as a dissenting opinion, but...

I think the "appearing thinner" comment generally has to do with a hair style than it does with overall length of hair. For example, if a woman has a more round face, she may feel that she benefits from a hair style that has a couple layers to frame her face, thus taking away from the roundness. I have a friend who is curvier lady who really likes having shoulder length hair that frames her face, and almost always has a positive experience at a salon.

Ultimately, you should wear your hair the way you like it. Being comfortable in your own skin and taking care of yourself (hair, skin, body, etc), will add to your beauty more than simple hair cut. If you love your hair, then let it hang loose in the wind, captivating the fancy of passerbys. If you are unhappy with your hair, then hey...you have a giant, long hair community of knowledgeable women (and men!) that would probably be more than willing to give you some advice!

batteredcakes
July 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
To me I think it's the opposite because long hair seems to accentuate the concave curves but short hair just puts everything out there for everyone to see.

batteredcakes
July 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Oh what I meant by concave, if I didn't make sense lol, is your waistline

Flynn
July 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
This, absolutely. And I also dislike the comparisons between "curvy" and feminine/"thin" and boyish. These are clearly wrong.

Oooh, yes. That one gets me too.

(One of the prettiest, most feminine girls I know is "straight up-and-down" with an almost-shaved head. Boyish? You kidding? She's also completely mad, but that's beside the point.)

Debra83
July 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Short hair would *make* me thinner because I would have to pay for a stylist every month just to look decent (not even spectacularly gorgeous, just decent).

Now that I need only a slight trim (done by DH) twice a year or so, I have all that extra money I can spend on chocolate and cheese... :cheese:

HILARIOUS!!!!!! WHAT A GOOD WAY TO LOOK AT IT!!! LOLOLOL :D

Quixii
July 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I always thought short hair made people looks larger. At least, their faces look more round, which kinda let's you believe their bodies are too.

may1em
July 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Please do not take this as a dissenting opinion, but...

I think the "appearing thinner" comment generally has to do with a hair style than it does with overall length of hair. For example, if a woman has a more round face, she may feel that she benefits from a hair style that has a couple layers to frame her face, thus taking away from the roundness. I have a friend who is curvier lady who really likes having shoulder length hair that frames her face, and almost always has a positive experience at a salon.

Ultimately, you should wear your hair the way you like it. Being comfortable in your own skin and taking care of yourself (hair, skin, body, etc), will add to your beauty more than simple hair cut. If you love your hair, then let it hang loose in the wind, captivating the fancy of passerbys. If you are unhappy with your hair, then hey...you have a giant, long hair community of knowledgeable women (and men!) that would probably be more than willing to give you some advice!

I agree with this. Some women just like short hair better, for various reasons. I used to be a militant shorthair (and now I'm a militant longhair - I guess I just like extremes), and I loved the way it felt when the wind rustled through it. Now when that happens I worry about tangles. I also got such a rush out of leaving the salon with a new short cut. For awhile, I'd grow to shoulder and go in and get it chopped (or chop it myself) to ear in the back, chin in the front. On more than one occasion, I had a hairdresser hesitate to take off more and I'd pretty much order her to cut. Now I get my rush from letting it down at night and feeling it brush against my lower back. I'm sticking with the rush I can get every day for the forseeable future. :)

In another thread, I said that I actually kind of liked the Kate hairdo, and I did strongly consider getting it (6 years ago, before Kate Gosselin made it (in)famous). Only reason I didn't is because the back of my head is really flat and it would look funny.

I think people should have the haircut (or intentional lack thereof) that makes them happy. I don't think "fat" and "old" women should be pressured into cutting off the feature they might like the best, and the idea that short hair, layers, and highlights will make someone look better as a matter of course is full of bogus. I also think that someone who chooses any of those things willingly and loves it should be allowed to enjoy it.

We treasure our hair here in a way that not everyone does. Other styles, like angled bobs, spiky cuts, and mohawks are also all kinds of awesome. People can do amazing things with hair dye and gel. I also included "dread" in my original list of "other super-sweet things people do to their hair" and then remembered that those can be long, too. Doh.

shadowclaw
July 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I agree with most of you. I always thought that short haircuts make us plus sized gals look bigger. There are always exceptions, of course, but I always found that short cuts bring out the chubbiness of the face. Any kind of short style that sticks out at all seems to draw attention to other parts of the body that stick out, too, like wide hips or a big butt.

Long hair always seemed slimming to me, just like the color black. Like JamieLeigh said, it draws the eyes down the body and not across.

I also think that pixie cuts generally only look good on women with slim, non-curvy bodies. I don't know why.

manderly
July 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Oh HELL no it doesn't. Makes me look like a blimp with a teeny, tiny pinhead. What a retarded claim. :rolleyes:

Kiraela
July 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I'm almost a perfect hourglass shape - having all of my hair short is not a good thing!! It emphasises how wide my hips and shoulders are. Long hair really draws attention in a vertical line, rather than horizontal. I think of it like zebras. Lines distort the outside pattern - vertical lines break up the side-to-side view, so it's harder-ish to tell the true width. Horizontal lines do the same to height, making you look shorter and squatter. So if your hair is short, I think of it more as a horizontal line. If it's longer, it's more of a vertical bit of interest.

Spike
July 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Mmmm . . . not me. I agree that a flattering cut needs to account for your face shape, head/body proportions, and hair/body proportions. Someone with big hips but an angular face, long neck and sharp jaw could look slimmer with a short cut--the layers near the skinnny parts drawing the eye up.

Me? I have a big ol' head on broad shoulders. The curves vary depending on weight. At my thinnest, I look like a rake wearing a wig. At my heaviest, I'm pear-shaped in all directions (profile and straight-on).

I find updos tend to have more volume than a pixie cut or bob. Of course, salons don't make money teaching updos, especially compared to the $$$ brought in by maintaining a short hairstyle. :p

MsBubbles
July 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Errrmm....No.

My hairdresser even agreed with me on that one. She said her - uh...heavy sister in law once got her hair cropped short and her husband told her "your head now looks like a little tiny apple perched on top of your body".

Being tall and not rail-thin, with a teeny tiny head myself, the complete opposite is true. Shame on any hair cutter who uses that slimy sales pitch.

Jessikinz
July 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
hahaha oh not for me. This reminds me of when I went to get my big hair cut. I was told by everyone in my family that I would look so skinny if I get it cut really short. I was 14 at the time. I got my hair cut into a pixie, as suggested by everyone. My face looked so huge. I have been overweight all my life, so I was devastated. It looked like I had a big bowling ball on my shoulders. Never got a hair cut since.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I think shorter hair made me look bigger myself. And kinda off balance...lol.

Feye
July 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Short haircuts are supposed to draw the eye to the face and away from the body.

Long hair draws the eye to the hair and away from the body :D

MuzicalH3rb
July 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I, actually, think it's the complete opposite too! Short hair makes every part of me look bigger! I can't stand it!

Babyfine
July 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Me=small head, long neck- very narrow shoulders-large bust- and very wide hips and big legs. Short hair on me=bowling pin look(Thanks Junkychristmas!)
I used to call it inverted ice cream cone. Plus now that I'm older- not so clean jaw line.(pelican neck?)
Even updo's can give me the bowling pin look if I don't volumize them in some way.
I need my hair to be AT LEAST shoulder length for balance!
And with my large..um...chest-waist length would be nice to balance "the girls" out!

DragonLady
July 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
When I was in college, people constantly remarked about my "eating disorder" because I was so thin. I was just naturally that way, so it bothered me. When I cut my hair short I noticed the comments stopped. Suddenly my neck looked longer, but my body looked wider and rounder.

Now I'm a bit...heavy. And I wouldn't think of going for a short bob or pixie now. I think my big hips would look bigger and my face and belly would both look even rounder.

Nope...I'll keep the long vertical line of hair. I was going to anyway, but this just gives me one more good reason. :)

NickalNack
July 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Oh sure short hair does make you look thinner-

If you're already skinny.

And that's because the long hair from before would take people's attention off of your skinniness. After cutting it people would then see your body and go "Oh! Did you lose weight?"

Or, I suppose if you have a defined facial bone structure, and having a lot of hair in your face all the time hid it, then that's what could make you look thinner too... but only barely. I mean, really. What's more worth it, cutting your hair off for an illusion, or KEEPING your hair, and actually having the body you desire at the same time?

zen_oven
July 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Short hair made my face look fat. The last time I had it I was 40 pounds heavier, and I swear it just drew attention to the "fullness" of my face. I definitely look better with long hair, curvy or not.

intothemist1999
July 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Oh sure short hair does make you look thinner-

If you're already skinny.

Well said! :)

I've always found short hair to make a large person look even larger. There *is* that "snowman" effect it can create :( ...at least that's how I always felt *I* would look with short hair.

The only time I had short hair was when I had to chop out a colouring disaster. I had lost alot of weight at that time and was fine with having short hair...it was a bit of a novelty. However, if it happened NOW, I'd put up with the bad dye job :D