PDA

View Full Version : Can I call myself waist yet?

2luvmycurls
July 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Because my hair is usually curly and I have lots of layers, it's seemed to take forever for it to grow! (But I know it is)

Do you think I'm at waist length? (I straightened my hair for the first time in quite a few months. I know it's not great for my hair, so I'm trying to do it only once every 2 months or so)

First, here is a picture I found from 1 year ago:
http://i30.tinypic.com/2dgotur.jpg (pre-henna; natural color with highlights growing out)

http://i28.tinypic.com/33n9ic1.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/2924q6e.jpg

I'm cheating in this one, though, cause my head is realllly tilted:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2cmusee.jpg

Having virtually no neck probably helps, lol, but I'm just wondering if I can really say I have waist-length hair? (I've been dying to say that since I started growing my hair out!)

CindyLea1
July 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

I'd say waist. In the picture with the tilted head I'd say hip. Your hair is lovely!!!

redneckprincess
July 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
almost only a couple more months to go

Ryanne
July 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure.. :shrug: since you are tilting your head in the pictures I can't really tell. It looks close at least.

Pegasus Marsters
July 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM
From the shot from behind you, you're a few months off still I'd say. The others have your head tilted so it's hard to say.

2luvmycurls
July 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Okay, thanks guys :) So a few months should be able to say I'm waist without any head tilt, and straightened, of course. My goal is now somewhere around waist/hip...so maybe in 6 months or so I'll be close.

KajiKodomo
July 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I'd say that you're at waist. Your waist is the smallest part of your torso, and where your sides curve in the most. According to that definition, you are right at waist. :D

GoddesJourney
July 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
You and I are right at the same place called "almost". I'm trying to hit waist, too. I swear it slowed down this month just because it knows it's almost there. Hang in there, sister.

camirra555
July 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'd say your basically there and if not you only have about half an inch to go! How often do you straighten your hair?I want to straighten mine just to see how much it's grown (measuring doesn't give me the same visual) but I'm gonna hold off for at least another two months just cause I worry about the damage

2luvmycurls
July 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM
camirra555- I used to straighten my hair I'd say once or even more a month. However, since joining this site and trying to learn to love my hair natural, I've only straightened it a handful of times in the past year. I know that straightened it just feels so much longer and I love how it feels after its been straight for a couple days (so it has time to tame down a bit, lol). STraightening is quite the ordeal for me - blow dry to about 90% dry (and I would NEVER go out of the house like this, oh my! It's like a lion's mane on steroids or something), then use a straightener and divide hair up in 4th and straighten it. Then sometimes I'll use a hot roller set (big ones) to smooth it and give it some bounce while still being straight. I know it's not great for my hair, but I think once every 2 months or so is okay because I don't use heat any other time and use coconut oils and stuff.

By the way, your henndigo is so shiny and beautiful on you!!! :D

Rentlle
July 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I would say over a couple months :) aalmost :D

Roseate
July 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Your straightening routine sounds like mine! I love the "lion's mane on steroids", LOL! That is a perfect description. I've only done it once in the last year, but it is so nice to see the growth.

Since you do the hot rollers anyway, you might try a wet-set with those big magnetic rollers. I did one once and it turned out really nice, and much less frying involved. Manderly has a tutorial up here somewhere.

I agree with the general consensus: almost waist. Looks good!

krissykins
July 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
It's super close! You'll get there :)

How long is your hair while it's curly?

2luvmycurls
July 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
krissykins - if you go to my profile, the picture that is there is very recent (I don't think my hair was 100% dry when it was taken, but it's what I've got recent)

HappyHair87
July 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
You and I are right at the same place called "almost". I'm trying to hit waist, too. I swear it slowed down this month just because it knows it's almost there. Hang in there, sister.

I too fit in this category.....don't you just hate that??:poot:...Stinks!!

thankyousir74
July 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'd personally say waist!

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
You're very close! I agree that you still have a few months to go, but your hair is very lovely!! Thank you for sharing photos. :flower:

Darscilla
July 8th, 2009, 09:35 AM
When I was asking the same thing, the lovely spidermom gave me a great tip: cinch a belt around your waist, and if the ends touch the belt, you're at waist length.
It was a great idea, 'cos I don't actually have a waist! :gobblecheese: :cookie:

2luvmycurls
July 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Oh, that is a great idea about the belt! Now, I just have to find one (never use one, lol) ;)

Darscilla
July 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Oh, that is a great idea about the belt! Now, I just have to find one (never use one, lol) ;)

The belt on a bath robe works a treat :)

MuzicalH3rb
July 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
You're hair is so pretty!

2luvmycurls
July 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you so much everyone. Well, I did the belt test, and the very longest layers do touch the top of the belt, but I didn't get pictures and I've since washed my hair so it's no longer straight. But it's okay; I'll just practically be at waist...and in a month or two I can right out say waist :) hehe...not that it reallllllly matters.. I mean, who but us on here really cares? lol

lhangel9
July 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
You betcha!!!!!!!!!

memee1978
July 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM
you look waist length to me.maby in a few months youll be full waist length going into hip length.great job!!!!