PDA

View Full Version : What is my hair saying to me?

Tangles
July 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I feel like my hair is screaming something to me but I can't decipher it.

Basically, every third strand seems to be splitting off somewhere between APL and BSL (the usual motley combination of sheds, white dots, forked splits, and bent or frayed ends). As usual, it's only the shorter hairs that are doing this--not the longest ones, which seem to be growing strong at BSL. :confused:

The last time I used dye in my hair was probably around 2 years ago, so yes, it could be the remnants but then my longest hairs would be splitting even worse.

My hair is in a U shape and I do microtrim and S&D. I even bought a new pair of trimming scissors in case it was a bad blade causing the splits.

I have no clue what else could be causing them. I'm not using heat or any product except oils. I use proteins and cones sometimes to protect my strands a bit. I've even cut down my use of sulphates drastically and make sure to detangle before putting my hair up.

I'm even considering using henna but I think I look stupid with reddish hair.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
you might try some catnip for your split ends, its helped mine quite a bit!

young&reckless
July 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM
If you do not want the color of henna, there is always cassia. It has done wonders for my breakage and split ends.

amaiaisabella
July 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Well, I'd tell you to go down the LUSH route again, but I remember how not-fond you were of that :p

I just clarified today since I've been having issues with my hair lately, and it really feels a lot better. Have you tried that yet? You don't mention any tangling issues, but with the increased split ends and breakage, I assume (though I'm not supposed to!) that you were having issues with that as well.

Tangles
July 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I do clarify at least once every two weeks, sometimes more.

I just hate always trimming the shorter pieces. I don't want too much taper when I get to waist.

Considering ordering some cassia, I guess, though something about the idea of applying colorless henna doesn't seem worth the effort :D I will also try catnip rinses.

Moonstruck
July 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
My hair does what yours sounds like its doing, and I can't seem to figure it out either. I don't really understand how to do a rinse and I feel like I'm wasting perfectly good catnip, hahaha, so... I'm going to be trying cassia. I mean, I've sat with hot oil packs and SMTs on my head for upwards of 2 hours, so really, why not cassia? The only reason why I haven't tried it already is probably because I have to actually order it, and not just dig through my food pantry.

Fractalsofhair
July 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Are you alternating hairstyles? People here have told me that if you style your hair roughly or in the same way each day, mechanical damage can build up in parts of your hair!

Deborah
July 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Are you wearing barrettes? These can cause slow but steady breakage at about the lengths you mention. Barrettes are evil.

Do you ponytail a lot? These can cause damage too. It usually is something mechanical that we are doing, not realizing the slow, steady damage our toys or styles can cause us.

Tangles
July 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'm just so dry, and shedding even worse than I did last fall. I must have a lot of hair--given how much I'm losing and the fact that it doesn't even look thin--not YET, anyway. :rolleyes:

Amara
July 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Nothing terribly useful to add, just wanted to say I also sometimes feel like my hair is speaking quite clearly and loudly to me... in a different language.

Fractalsofhair
July 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
For dry hair, hot oil treatments help my hair a ton! They stop damage for my easily damaged hair quite well. It probably wants moisture, or protein. Cones can dry out hair in extremely dry hair, so perhaps clarifying, doing a hot oil treatment, and then going back to cones might help your hair?