PDA

View Full Version : Oy. I went swimming w/o protecting my hair.

krissykins
July 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
So I went on a short vacation this weekend and had tons of fun. On Friday I went swimming in a lake and didn't put any conditioner/oil on it, or rinse it with water first, or use a swimming cap. It also dried out before I left the lake.

Now that I'm back home, I'm trying to pack as much moisture in as possible. I tried SMT'ing last night but I probably didn't rinse well enough because it just looked yucky. This morning I did a CO wash with Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberry Conditioner and now that my hair dry, it looks very frizzy and isn't soft at all. I all put some coconut oil on it, which usually leaves my hair looking and feeling moisturized, but obviously it didn't work this time. What should I do?

Elphie
July 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Was it a freshwater lake or a saltwater lake? I can't see a freshwater lake causing much damage. I might consider clarifying and then doing a moisture treatment. I'm sure it will be back to normal in no time.

krissykins
July 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM
It was a saltwater lake. I will definitely clarify but as for the moisture treatment, I'm not sure what to do. I'm still experimenting with SMT because I haven't gotten it right yet. Generally my hair ends up feeling soft but looking frizzy.

Elphie
July 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Slathering on your favorite conditioner and wrapping your hair in a towel (I sometimes use a plastic bag first to help hold in the warmth) and keeping it on for 30 minutes or longer would be fine.

krissykins
July 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Good idea! Thank you! :flowers:

Elphie
July 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115

This article might help you as well.

s_tresses
July 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
_Use a chelating shampoo if you have one or just clarify with regular shampoo.

For moisture, pick one:

_Mayonnaise(protein)
_Avocado, honey, coconut milk(protein), olive oil
_Caramel Treatment
_Try SMT without the aloe gel. I tried it with fresh aloe and my hair was horrible. If that doesnt work try with less of honey. LOL Only if I had the patience.

teela1978
July 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Did you go swimming in The Great Salt Lake? That's some serious salt there. I'd go do a 'mermaid soak' (lay down in the tub and let it float a bit) to try and pull some of the salt out. It should be fine, you might have to do it more than once. I don't think any treatment is going to do anything till some of the salt is gone though.