PDA

View Full Version : Am I asking for too much?

plaidprincess
July 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I crave lovely long hair, but I don't want to trim and I'm afraid I'm a little impatient for the search and destroy method. I know it's probably sacrilege on here, but I kind of like the look of a few split ends here and there.

So my question is: is it possible to just grow your hair to butt length without SADing or trimming? Will it mean my hair doesn't grow as quickly? I don't want to sacrifice any length to trimming, and I like the way my layers look growing out.

So long haired experts, what do you think?

Nightshade
July 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I think it's quite possible :)

It really depends on the state of your hair- if it's REALLY damaged like mine was, the tangles may cause hair to break off at a rate that makes it looks like the hair isn't growing much at all.

If your hair is in pretty decent shape, save a few splits, it'll be just fine :)

SimplyViki
July 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM
It shouldn't affect your hair growth - your follicles really don't have any idea what's going on with your ends. The thing to watch out for is breakage. Little splits are one thing, but if you notice splits are traveling up the hair shaft, or if you see that you're shedding a lot of little short hairs without roots (the little tiny bulb thing where the hair detached from your scalp), you might be experiencing breakage. If that's the case, enough hair might break off at a time that it will seem that you aren't growing. Make sense? As in, it's breaking off as fast as it's growing, and therefore doesn't look like it's growing.

How is the state of your hair right now? Do you use heat styling or bleach? Are you careful with detangling? If you're not doing anything that will actively damage your hair, and you take good care of it, I don't think a few splits are anything to worry about.

As far as an actual length, you will kind of end up re-evaluating and modifying your routine as time goes on. Will you make it to butt length without a trim? Maybe. Maybe not. All sorts of things will factor in to that - whether you prefer a blunt hemline, or fairytale ends (naturally tapered, sort of thinned out ends), how your hair is responding to your routine, any damage you may be growing out...

But don't worry, it's not unheard of to not search and destroy or trim around here. Everybody has a different routine. It's all about figuring out what works best for your hair.

Periwinkle
July 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I concur with Nightshade.

Your hair is going to keep growing, no matter what. You might be able to grow to your goal length without any trims or S&D, though given that you're only at 15" right now, I expect that at some point at least, you'll probably want to do something (not saying that you have to, though - just knowing that I couldn't do it without). Your hair won't grow slower, but like Nightshade said, depending on the state it's in, you could end up with it breaking off.

LeaM07
July 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The "do nothing" method has worked quite well for me for the past 12+ years or so. :)

Stylists will recommend trims every few months, but unless you're trying to maintain a blunt hemline or a particular style, it really isn't necessary.

Whether or not you get lots of split ends is somewhat going to be dependent on your genes and your hair type, but simply being careful can go a long way toward preventing damage. These two articles (from our LHC articles section) contain some excellent tips for damage prevention:

Keeping Split Ends at Bay: Secrets for Gently Handling Your Hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8)

Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing, and Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)

plaidprincess
July 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!

I have about an inch of bleached ends, but these have been subjected to some serious hennaing and feel normal now (I guess I might feel the effects as it grows longer).

The thing is - I don't think I could do it myself, after having a 'trim' at the salon which stole most of my hair once I am loathe to go again, and I can't trust my friends to trim (I once gave someone a really bad fringe/bangs and she has never forgotten).

Also, I'm impatient. I had long hair when I was young and after 10 years of bobs I really want to feel my hair on my back again.

I'm trying to be good otherwise - oilings, not washing too often, etc. But these comments have made me feel a bit better about not trimming. Thanks! :D

Stevy
July 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Honestly, it should be fine. I never bother S&Ding and mine's down to my behind, dyed ends and all. :)

kdaniels8811
July 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
There is an article called Feye's self trim which works wonders! Yes, you can trim your own hair and have it look professional.

Or ... join the "no trimmers" club - which I did about a year ago. The picture with my signature is about a month old, I have some fairytale ends but using catnip tea for condioning twice weekly and SMT's once every week or two has kept the splits at bay. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Coriander
July 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
It shouldn't affect your hair growth - your follicles really don't have any idea what's going on with your ends.

Probably a good thing, too. Can you imagine our follicles yelling, "Hey down there! If you dare to split, I'm just going to spit you out!"

*snicker* Sorry, I'm in a weird mood.

Welcome to the boards, plaidprincess :D

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on here who don't trim or S&D! Trimming is really not necessary, unless you're desiring to get rid of previous damage or you just like the way a blunter hemline looks. :)

Fractalsofhair
July 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It depends on HOW damaged your hair is and how you treat it. I somehow manage to have my hair breaking off at about my chin and shorter, with some random chunks that are almost APL(Before last week it was almost APL except for a bit in the front). I have somewhere in the 75-90% of my hair broken off due to damage on the ends. I need to get a hair cut to get rid of this damage.(I used a blow drier daily or so for one month, wash my hair daily with extremely gentle products with rich conditioner, use tons of hot oil treatments, and bleached my hair with a 10-20 volume peroxide once. I apparently have hair that is easily damaged, based on the fact I was doing good and bad things to it!) If your hair is relatively healthy, and you treat it gently, you can probably get to tailbone length if you continue to treat it gently and it doesn't show signs of serious damage. If you hair starts to REALLY break off, S&Ding is a good way to prevent the worst of the damage, but if your hair is beyond repair, even if it looks nice and shiny(My hair looks pretty nice compared to many females in my town! I'm a iii/ii with the damage, so I clearly have very thick hair naturally.) if you know it's beyond repair and family/friends who you trust and who are long hair friendly, if they start to comment on the damage, it might be time for a change, and for you to do a gentle trim. My only worry with you would be the bleached ends, but if they seem healthy, just keep on babying them. Bleaching doesn't always destroy hair if you are very gentle.

NickalNack
July 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair since I had my relaxed ends cut off, and it's nearly six inches longer now. There are a few "drifters" here and here, but none so insane that I need a S&D just yet, if ever. Not in my opinion anyway. I don't plan on getting a trim until my hair reaches at least 12 inches. I don't even really do that much to my hair either. I condition it every time I shower, dab it with a towel or just let it air dry, and don' really mess with it afterwards. Not sure if this is helpful at all... but, yeah. heh