PDA

View Full Version : Bang/fringe section, how deep and what shape??

faeflame
July 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm looking to redo my bangs and would love to know what type of bangs other LHCers have. What shape bang section do you have- crescent, rectangle, triangle? How wide- pupil to pupil, outside corner of eyes, temple to temple? How deep- 1/2", 1"......?

I had a rectangle 1" deep from outer edge of one eyebrow to other eyebrow for a long time. I tried going bangless but it wasn't for me, updos looked too harsh. When I went to recut bangs I saw on a youtube video that you should only cut pupil to pupil. I tried that in a 1" deep rectangle. That was kinda tiny and thin so I tried a triangle 2" deep and ending at the pupils. Grrr, it tries to part at my widows peak and makes it look like my hair is thinning! I've been growing my bangs out and am open to suggestions for how to cut them this time. I'd love to see what other folks like.
PS I'm a child of the 80's and have this strange urge to tease or fluff my bangs a tad, NOT mall bangs but not flat either. Anyone else out there do this??

may1em
July 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I recently cut bangs from iris to iris (the outer edges, pupil-pupil looked too narrow) in a crescent moon shape that goes back about an inch at the deepest part. It seems to work. I didn't want to do a triangle, because I thought that would look messy if I wanted to side-part the rest of my hair.

LindsayNichole
July 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm glad you asked this, faeflame, because I'm trying to figure out the same thing! I see bangs I like, but I need to know exactly how to best describe them so the hairdresser will know what to do(or in case I opt to do it myself. I don't know which scares me more).

Roseate
July 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I did a triangle, a little wider than pupil-pupil, going quite steeply to a point about 2" back on a middle part. I wanted blunt, thick, slightly retro bangs, and that's what I got. I'm growing them out now, but they were cute.

RocketDog
July 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM
My fringe is pretty 'sloppy' and doesn't really have definable shape. The shortest hairs hit right around the arch of my left eyebrow, as that is where my hair naturally parts, and it's not very 'deep' back, maybe half an inch or so. I've been slowly growing a heavier sideswept fringe out over the last year or so, and I'm fairly happy with where it's at now. I may end up cutting in a thicker fringe next time I go in for a trim, I haven't decided yet.

rogue_psyche
July 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I cut my own fringe. When I went to the hairdressers and asked for side sweeping bangs they would always wet my hair, part it someplace that my hair refuses to part at, and cut bangs that, unless blowdried, would separate and refuse to part with the rest of the hair due to a cowlick.

So next time I cut my bangs, I parted my hair where I normally do (slightly off center), and cut so that the hair that *wants* to hang over my eyes are eyebrow length. The strands at the edge of my face are gradually longer. I also cut slightly deeper than most people, and have a hime cut (http://z.about.com/d/manga/1/0/-/K/-/-/GLB1_8485_500.jpg) inspired portion that is kept at chin length. My chin length bit is not as wide, blended more, and wispy so that I don't have to straighten to have it look neat.

LutraLutra
July 7th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I'm a real fan of bangs/fringes, as without them I look like an egg.

The best thing is that as long as you know you look good with one, you can keep changing it and playing around with different styles. Over the last couple of years I've had side swept, thick and blunt, Bettie Page mini bangs, asymmetric, long and textured, then finally deeply curved. Some styles suited me more than others, but it's fun finding out what works and what doesn't. I like change too much to what to keep to the same style forever.

The only thing is that gradually my fringe has got wider and taken up more hair at the sides. Since I realised this was happening I've made sure that I only get my fringe cut more in the centre leaving the ends longer to grow back into the rest of my hair. That's ok with me as it gives me more face framing layers for up-dos.

Tap Dancer
July 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I've had it all. :lol: When I cut in my own thin bangs, I did the crescent shape. Later when I wanted a heavy bang, my hairdresser did the deep-V (or triangle) shape. I always wore bangs that covered my entire forehead and were longer on the sides and shorter in the middle.

Toadstool
July 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I have a question. When you have bangs/fringe parted at the side. do you have to cut a corresponding bit on the non bang side or can you just cut the bit you are combing over?

faeflame
July 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing your bang info!!

Toadstool, I don't know if this helps but when my bangs were cut in just the rectangle shape I always parted them on the side and had a small bit on one side and a full sweep on the other. I also varied which side they were parted on depending on how cooperative my hair was being on a given day.

redneckprincess
July 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I have thick blunt bangs right now...pics in my fading album show my bangs well

share801
July 9th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I grew mine out but if you have curly hair I'd advise against the shorter in the middle ones. Sounds great but on me they looked really weird an way more uneven than they actually were. I will never voluntarily get those again! I suppose it depends on your hair type.

jacqueline101
March 30th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I have triangle bangs I love them.

lunalocks
March 30th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I guess I have triangle bangs. I have had them all my life. I would suggest cutting them on the thin side to start with. You can always add more. Mine are now a little too thick and have to be thinned. Therefore I lose overall thickness since my hair has thinned a bit over the past few years.