PDA

View Full Version : Overnight oiling?

Rapunzal2Be
July 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I've attempted to do overnight oiling - both with coconut oil on my length and then just oiling my scalp. Both times I woke up with an oil slick on my pillow case (satin) and breakouts on my neck.

Not good.

Am I doing something wrong or is overnight oiling just not for me?

Dvips
July 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Perhaps you could wear some sort of hair wrapping to bed - either a sleeping cap or a Buff or something?

RoseRedDead
July 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
You could also only oil to below your ears, then put your hair in a bun on the very top of your head.

demitasse
July 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, you should pull your hair up somehow. I haven't heard of people sleeping with their hair down during a heavy oiling. When I do an overnight oiling, I apply the oil from the ears down and then put my hair in a cinnabun on top of my head. Keeps the oil from getting on my pillowcase or anything else. I've found clipping the bun with a few mini jaw clips works well.

saskia_madding
July 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I braid or bun my hair, then pile it on top of my head, and then wrap it in a bandana. The bandana keeps the hair off my neck and my pillow, thus avoiding the oil slick and pimples.

hellkitty
July 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I oil the bejabbers out of my hair the night before a wash. I use rosemary and castor oil on the scalp, and coconut oil on the length. I braid the length but don't pin it up. I've never had an oil slick or a breakout--and I break out at the mere thought of pimples! Maybe you are allergic to coconut oil? Before giving up the technique, you might try different oils for your oiling like jojoba (which I hear is nice and light) or sweet almond.

Or maybe your hair just already has enough oil. Mine slurps it in.

If you use 'cones, maybe that's what's preventing oil getting absorbed into your hair?

Just some random thoughts.
HK

Calista
July 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I do it like hellkitty - I braid my oiled hair. Satin doesn´t really absorb oil, so I imagine it would be really icky to lie on a satin pillowcase during a heavy oiling. I only use cotton pillowcases.

sibylla
July 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I oil my hair heavily with coconut oil very often. I donŽt get break outs or stains on my pillow. Maybe I let my hair suck oil for an hour before bed. I never let the oily hair tuch my bare skin on my back. I use a wooden hair stick before bedtime and when I sleep I toss my hair over the pillow in an "L"-shape so I can toss and turn with my hair still over the pillow. I hope youŽll have better results next time. My scalp and hair needs oil.

Rapunzal2Be
July 7th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Maybe my hair just isn't long enough for oiling like this yet? It is just collarbone length - so I really can't braid it or put it up (except in a fake bun at my nape). I guess I could just oil my very ends rather than my whole head of hair?

I do use cones but I also use an SLS shampoo once or twice a week, so I thought I wouldn't be having an issue of buildup? And through reading here I have read that a few people think that 'cones and oils can be used in conjuction...

RoseRedDead
July 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Ahhh, your hair is shorter than I thought. I'm terrible at reading the length measurement thingies below peoples' icons...

At this length, I'd say you don't need to oil anything but the last 2-3 inches.

Charlotte
July 7th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I guess that my hair loves to soak up the coconut or almond oil too - I never have a problem with oil on my pillow. I heavily oil before each wash an hour or so before bedtime and then put it into two very saturated looking plaits (braids)....no worries. :) Maybe with your shorter hair, you could put the oil in as soon as your home from work or whatever and wash your hair before bedtime; or, alternatively, you could apply the oil for an hour, or longer if possible, in the morning and then wash before going out for the day??? Just thoughts.... :)

Rapunzal2Be
July 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the tips! I think I'll try leaving it on for an hour or so before a wash. :)

feralnature
July 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM
When my hair was your length, Rapunzal2Be, I only oiled the ends. Actually, I have never oiled above my ears except to run my hands over the top hairs of my canopy just to catch flyaways. I have never heavily oiled my scalp area. My hair drinks the oil up pretty fast but I have found it is better to put the coconut oil on in several applications rather than one big application. It seems to drink it up better that way.

Aunteater
July 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I oil heavily with coconut oil the night before a wash, and then twist the hair into a loose bun and use a long scarf to tie it all up in something vaguely turban-like. This seems to keep the oil problem to a minimum.

RocketDog
July 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
When I do an overnight oiling or honey/conditioner treatment, I wrap my head up in a handkerchief and put an old t-shirt over my pillowcase.

Melisande
July 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I oil my scalp with jojoba and EOs, and soak the rest of my hair in a mixture of olive oil and coconut oil. I secure the hair in a loose bun and put my PrettyWrap over it. (Actually, this is what I did just now - I'm all soaked and wrapped for you ;-) ) I never have any problems with it.

Scalp and hair have different needs. It may be useful to oil your scalp if you want to combat specific problems. But if you don't have, you may not need it. Maybe you should wait with soaks until your hair can be put out of the way.

I find the results of both the scalp oilings and the oil treatments are very very positive. Wrapping a silk shawl and using less oil may help you.

82exoticbeauty
July 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I do my overnight oiling by oiling my scalp, not my hair! I actually use Camellia Oil together with Castor Oil and it does help with hair growth! You can view how Camellia Oil on it's ratings on the website and other website that describe about Camellia Oil. This is the link to it:
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4731051_camelia-oil-faster-hair-growth.html
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/730140.html
- you can purchase Camellia Oil on Ebay. As for the Castor oil, you can buy it any where at a store like Wal-mart and other stores! Got mine at the section where the band aid section is, it may not be next to it, it can be on their isle section/pharmacy section place!

About Camellia Oil:

Camellia oil is a non greasy oil, excellent for use in skin and hair products. It contains skin restructuring and moisturizing properties.
The composition of camellia oil is very similar to that of the fatty acids of human skin. Composed mainly of Oleic acid (almost 82%, the highest among all natural oils), camellia oil is the most easily absorbed of all natural oils.

Oleic acid is an excellent transdermal carrier of cell rebuilding nutrients and bioactive compounds into the skin, to repair the damage caused by dryness, sun exposure, and aging.

The result is improvement of the skin's elasticity and texture, as well as elimination or remarkable reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.

Containing Vitamins A, B and E it is a great oil for anti-aging products, especially facial creams due to its rapidly absorbing property. Gentle and non-irritating, it's suitable for all skin types, especially dry/sensitive skin.

It can promote the healing of scars, lighten freckles and age spots, and help protect the skin from harmful UV rays.

History:

Also known as "Tea Tree Camellia", the camellia is cultivated in western Japan where the winters are dry and cold. This oil has been used by the Japanese women for skin, hair and scalp care for over 3,000 years!

Empress Josephine, mistress and wife to Napoleon, was renowned for her beautiful complexion. Her secret was camellia oil!
She grew the trees in her garden and a gardener was assigned to extract the oil for her skin lotion.

CavyQueen
July 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I do overnight oilings all the time. I use a heavy plastic shower cap and wrap a towel around my neck to prevent break outs (the oil will drip down). I also make sure I put a heavy quilt on my pillow (not a towel) to prevent any staining. I find this really uncomfortable, especially to sleep. I ordered glass spray bottles so I can spray the oil onto my hair instead of immersing it into the oil. I ordered glass because the oil's properties may change in plastic. I have not tried this yet. However, I think it will give the hair the nourishment it needs without the unwanted mess. I'll have to let you know how it goes. Happy oiling!!!!!

jasper
August 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
New person question: just how heavy is a heavy oiling?

JamieLeigh
August 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
When I oil overnight (which I do once a week, if I can), I sleep in a high braided bun so that the oil stays put and I'm not bothered by the yucky feeling of it during the night. I only oil my length, not near my scalp (because it's harder for me to wash out, plus I don't think my hair needs it up that high, when I've got natural scalp oil to help me out up there). So I put my hair in a high pony (not too tight) and oil from the elastic band, down the length. I immediately braid it before it can tangle, and pin or clip it up into a bun. I usually wear it like this on Saturdays and sleep with it in on Saturday nights. I wake on Sunday and wash it out. This usually works for me, I have not had any problems so far. :flower:

NebraskaChick84
August 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I did this last week with extra virgin olive oil. I bunned it for the night and did a CO the next morning, it looked GREAT! :)

Schefflera
August 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have no help, just sympathy. I tried oiling my hair heavily on Saturday night -- a little bit of castor oil at the scalp, generous amount of coconut on the length. I haven't broken out or had problems with my pillowcase (though I did put something over it), but while my scalp is fine, I have washed the length twice and it still looks and feels... well, almost wet, even once it dries.

My husband was away at the time, but on Sunday night he asked if I'd put lotion on my chest and shoulders. I think I can safely say I overdid it!