PDA

View Full Version : Which hair related words make you go eek?

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Just imagine you are reading some magazine and you come across this word in an article. For me there are a number of things that make me go eek when I read about using them:

- flat/curling iron
- perm
- teasing

Those get the most eek out of me for sure :lol:

How about you?

Lamb
April 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM
"Makeover," "extensions," "get sexy hair" and the like imperatives.

wolf girl
April 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM
"scissors"and "cut" :(

Also watching someone brush there hair and just ripping the brush through. :tmi: I can hear the breakage!!! It gives me the shivers and I just want to yell "Please stop! Your hurting it!" :wail:

suicides_eve
April 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
sizzle pop, flat iorn, BLEACH

Anlbe
April 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM
backcombing

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 07:09 AM
hairspray, gel, wax, and teasing :shudder:

Isilya
April 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM
"a sexy bob"

Curse Victoria Beckham, Katie Holmes, Rihanna and other 'stars' for making this trendy again.
I don't have anything against a bob cut as it is, but I hate how magazines are trying to make it the only cut one could possibly have in order to look nice.

Loviatar
April 11th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Backcombing and flat ironing squick me out, mostly.

I'm also not fond of blowdrying (can always hear the LHC 'blowfrying' option), teasing, rough drying (ouch) and razor cutting (ew!)

Give me conditioner, wide-tooth-comb and air dry any day please!

spidermom
April 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
"Hair toys". I really dislike that one.

ladystar
April 11th, 2008, 07:43 AM
“I am Chopping off my hair”
Relaxers.
Bad brushing.
Chlorine water “the pool”

:mad:

Emme76
April 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I don´t like... Bleach....I think since I done so much damage to my hair that way...:rolleyes:!!!!

Gothic Lolita
April 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Blowdryer, flat iron, hot curlers, hot scissor cutting.....

Anje
April 11th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Straighten, tease, hairspray (usually followed by emptying half a huge aerosol can on someone's head)

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Oi.. will have to avoid that one from now on.

How do you call them then? Hair accessories?

Somehow that word makes them sound like things that belong with a luxury bag :lol:

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
bleach, the rest of it doesnt bother me so much although I will say I look at heat styling totally different since joining LHC.

Sillage
April 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Yeah, that sort of gets on my nerves too. What's a good substitute term?

My eek word is "scrunchie" btw. I can't stand the name or the item!

Stevy
April 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
It always irritates me when they start going on about 'your tresses' or 'your barnet' (er, it's probably just British magazines that talk about 'your barnet'). I know it must get boring to type 'hair hair hair' all the time in an article, but it's just such a cliché. I also hate seeing 'lotions and potions' for the same reason.

The hair synonym I like least is 'strands', though - when they say 'your strands' it always makes me think of a bald man with about three strands of hair brushed across the top!

I know some LHC members have 'strands' or 'tresses' in their usernames and I think those can sound really pretty and romantic! It's just when it's obviously the wrong word but the journalist's bored with saying 'hair' that it makes me cringe.

Oh, and I hate that everything has to be described as 'sexy'. Leave the poor word some mystery!

Stevy

peachy.pudding
April 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
cornrows
black hair dye
green hair
damage
breakage
splits
fairytales

i could go on all day

angelthadiva
April 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Towel Dried gives me the willies.

magicatt
April 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Oi.. will have to avoid that one from now on.

Somehow that word makes them sound like things that belong with a luxury bag :lol:

I actually love the term "hair toy" although it's probably because the idea of buying "toys" isn't so bad as buying "accessories." Toys are harmless little fun, right? Accessories seem so serious. And while I probably spend enough on them to have them be considered "accessories," the idea that they are cute, harmless little toys just appeals to me. I suppose they are only really "toys" in the same sense that DH's electronics are "toys."

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I actually love the term "hair toy" although it's probably because the idea of buying "toys" isn't so bad as buying "accessories." Toys are harmless little fun, right? Accessories seem so serious. And while I probably spend enough on them to have them be considered "accessories," the idea that they are cute, harmless little toys just appeals to me. I suppose they are only really "toys" in the same sense that DH's electronics are "toys."
Yeah that is roughly how I feel about them too. When I say toys I will at least not start adding the total amount that I have spent on my accessories of late :lol:

spidermom
April 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM

"Toys" sounds so frivolous to me. I NEED these items. I haven't come up with a good substitute term, though, except to refer to the specific item I'm talking about. If I want to talk about them as a group, I've been known to use the term "tools." But that's not really accurate either.

Elfling
April 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Definitely "snap" and "breakage". *shivers*

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
"Toys" sounds so frivolous to me. I NEED these items. I haven't come up with a good substitute term, though, except to refer to the specific item I'm talking about. If I want to talk about them as a group, I've been known to use the term "tools." But that's not really accurate either.

Hmm.. how about "hair goodies"? They ARE good.. who can say they are not?! ;) :lol:

sweetkandi
April 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Teasing, perm, "Hot new style, the Bob!" Geez! Will they get off this bob thing already? Its not sexy! You cant do a thing with it! Ive had it before. Its like a lil girl cut. The only plus to it, is that it is mod. If thats the kind of look your going for lol.

shell78
April 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Shampoo, Brush (as a curly these are deadly)
Bleach, Highlights (yipe, yipe)
Articles that describe how to get curls by straightening the hair and then forcing it to curl, all with heat.
Any "makeover" where curlies are straightened.

eresh
April 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Bleach
Trendy haircut

Isilya
April 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I was going to suggest 'hair necessities' but Disney will probably try and sue me because of the resemblence it has to one of their Jungle Book songs. So just ignore this.

kate46
April 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
When they say things like ' How to get rid of those dreaded grays'. Leave my non dreaded grays alone Mr Magazine! :D

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
kate46 I love that avatar, matches perfectly! :lol:

Meli
April 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Cut/chop
Chemical changes (bleaching, dye, perm, whatever)
Teasing
Heatstyling/blowdrying
Hairspray
Cones

Islandgrrl
April 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM

My daughter calls them "hair pretties." Works for me.

The hair word I hate is PRODUCT.

Deborah
April 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM
bleach
dye
henna
highlights
lowlights
permanents
relaxers

It makes me sad that so many folks are dissatisfied with their natural hair. I have yet to see someone who's appearance is actually improved by changing their hair color. I always applaud those of our number who return to their natural hair color and texture. I blame the media for teaching us that we don't look nice enough without their products.

I also blame the media for force-feeding us the idea that unless we somehow change the appearance of our hair, our eyes, our lips, even our toenails, into some image of 'sexy' that we will be unable to attract a man, and that small children will run from us, shrieking "unclean"!

Okay, that is a tad dramatic, :rolleyes: but isn't it basically true?

When will we ever be 'good enough'?

BrianaFineHair
April 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Ok, remember, this is coming from a lady that has had short pixie cuts almost all of her life. Having said that, when some would say to me (loudly and rudely), "Oh, you CHOPPED off all of your hair!" or "Oh, you WHACKED off all of your hair! - it made me want to punch them. It's so RUDE to say that! :(

We all know that our hair and choice of hair style is personal; just like we hate it when people ask when are you going to cut that awful long hair (JoJo had a thread relating to this). It's just rude to make sarcastic comments about one's hair - whether it is long to the extreme or short to the extreme.

That's what eeks me when I had super short pixies for many years. Now that I'm growing it out a lady friend told me just last week after I told her I was growing it out long, "Oh, no, that is not the Briana we all know!" ehhhhh.....

jojo
April 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
oh i have a few; snap, split, cut, dry, bleach, loss, thin (for hair and body!!), perm, rip, snarl,break!

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Ok, remember, this is coming from a lady that has had short pixie cuts almost all of her life. Having said that, when some would say to me (loudly and rudely), "Oh, you CHOPPED off all of your hair!" or "Oh, you WHACKED off all of your hair! - it made me want to punch them. It's so RUDE to say that! :(

We all know that our hair and choice of hair style is personal; just like we hate it when people ask when are you going to cut that awful long hair (JoJo had a thread relating to this). It's just rude to make sarcastic comments about one's hair - whether it is long to the extreme or short to the extreme.

That's what eeks me when I had super short pixies for many years. Now that I'm growing it out a lady friend told me just last week after I told her I was growing it out long, "Oh, no, that is not the Briana we all know!" ehhhhh.....

I agree. I had short hair for a long time and loved it for the most part. I hated when people would ask me why I chopped my hair. I remember I cut my hair pretty short right before my uncle's wedding and his wife flipped out. She never even had certain styles for us to have our hair or anything. She just didn't think that the short hair was the look she wanted for her bridesmaids, lol.

Patrycja
April 11th, 2008, 10:52 AM
bleach
razor cuts

spidermom
April 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
It makes me sad that so many folks are dissatisfied with their natural hair. I have yet to see someone who's appearance is actually improved by changing their hair color. I always applaud those of our number who return to their natural hair color and texture.

This bothers me, too. Natural color is nice. Low maintenance. But no matter how many threads we have about how to recover from "dye/bleach disaster," people keep right on coating their hair with that stuff, thinking they'll be the exception.

Oh well - look at me; these are the horrors that await the woman going gray.

BrianaFineHair
April 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I agree. I had short hair for a long time and loved it for the most part. I hated when people would ask me why I chopped my hair. I remember I cut my hair pretty short right before my uncle's wedding and his wife flipped out. She never even had certain styles for us to have our hair or anything. She just didn't think that the short hair was the look she wanted for her bridesmaids, lol.

Oh my...

You were supposed to read her mind? Did you remain a bridesmaid?

Elfling
April 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM
It doesn't bother me at all personally that people want to change their hair color. To me, "natural" isn't necessarily all that. Naturally, I'm a squishy person ;) I have to work hard in an "unnatural" gym environment and "unnaturally" watch what I eat to stay in shape. My natural nails don't hold up to my normal job; my acrylics do.

The only trouble I've ever had from chemical hair dyes wasn't from dye; it was from bleach. NEVER repeating that. Just a single-process dark color though seems to be fine.

As always, YMMV and what works for you, works for you. I'm not going to tell anyone they should sit back and just be satisfied with what nature gave them though if they're not happy with it; just to be sensible about it and research, test, and find what works for them.

mommy101405
April 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Oh my...

You were supposed to read her mind? Did you remain a bridesmaid?

Yes and I personally thought I looked stunning. (And i am NOT one to think that about myself often). We had long strapless sheath dresses. Plus I am tall and long. I thought the combo of the short hair long neck and bare shoulders was actually quite elegant. But thats JMO b.c I know a lot of people on here dont care for short hair.

Elfling
April 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Actually, I love short hair :) Just not on me! One of my sisters just chopped her waist length hair and her new pixie cut is GORGEOUS on her. Same thing, she's tall and long and it just fits her so well.

kate46
April 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
kate46 I love that avatar, matches perfectly! :lol:

Glad you like it Eadwine, but the credit must go to the original artist! It's a great substitute for a real photo of me, the resemblence is uncanny tee hee! :D

Xanthippe
April 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
There aren't any hair words I really can't stand, but I dislike "chop" in reference to a haircut. And ficcare bothers me because I never remember how to spell it.

I was going to suggest 'hair necessities' but Disney will probably try and sue me because of the resemblence it has to one of their Jungle Book songs. So just ignore this.

Ahahahaha! :rollin: I will now have that song in my head for the rest of the day. Look for the hair necessities, the simple hair necessities... I'm tempted to write the rest of the song now.

Simms
April 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I read an article recently about adding "volume" to hair and said to Blow dry it (cringe) and add hairspray (cringe) and then make sure to COOK the volume into the hair.

HAIR DOES NOT NEED TO "COOK." EVER.

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Yay for hair pretties! I like that one. Hair jewelry also comes to mind now!

Glad you like it Eadwine, but the credit must go to the original artist! It's a great substitute for a real photo of me, the resemblence is uncanny tee hee! :D
*giggles* I believe you! :D

I read an article recently about adding "volume" to hair and said to Blow dry it (cringe) and add hairspray (cringe) and then make sure to COOK the volume into the hair.

COOK??? Cook volu... :spitting:

kate46
April 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
[quote=eadwine;59578]Yay for hair pretties! I like that one. Hair jewelry also comes to mind now!

Hair thingymagigs has always sufficed for me :p

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Oh now you jolted my memory.. someone on a forum I frequent (non hair), always says:

thingamabobs, or doohickeys.

Hair doohickeys.. hmm.. hair hickeys! *giggle*

HollowHannah
April 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
For me it's "trim" because they always cut off more than you want them to and "doesn't look nice". I know this is three words but it's really annoys me when people presume to be the be all and end all on what looks nice and what doesn't and think they can be so pretentious as to tell me what looks bad on me.

Naluin
April 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
"Tease"

"Brush"

"Weave"

"Relaxer" also makes me cringe because I've never had one that didn't hurt.

Madam Librarian
April 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I am probably the lone wolf on this one, but I can't see the word 'shampoo' abbreviated into 'poo' without the 12 year old boy that lives in my head saying, "Hehehehe, she just said she rubs poo in her hair!" Let's not even get into the poo'ers, poo'ing, and poo'ed variations.

Just can't do it. Maybe I should be voted off the island for my immaturity. :D

lookingglass
April 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Protien treatment...

chrissy-b
April 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Balding. Need I say more?

cassie_g
April 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
scissors/cut

Shorty89
April 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I was going to suggest 'hair necessities' but Disney will probably try and sue me because of the resemblence it has to one of their Jungle Book songs. So just ignore this.hehe It's the hair necessities, the simple hair necessities of life:p

I agree with the word sexy... everything doesn't have to be sexy and everything isn't sexy. I also dislike the word sebum.. just sounds so icky!

ETA: I agree with Madam Librarian, the 'poo things always makes me giggle. I guess I'm low on the maturity scale as well eh.

tuuli
April 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I am german.
One of the words I hate the most is "Umformung" - it means transformation. Like a perm or chemical straightening. This word hurts in my ear. :eek:

- backcombing
- highlights
- modern
- bleach
- hairspray
I hate hairspay! My hair transforms instantly into concrete. :rolleyes:

Euphony
April 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
bleach
dye
henna
highlights
lowlights
permanents
relaxers

It makes me sad that so many folks are dissatisfied with their natural hair. I have yet to see someone who's appearance is actually improved by changing their hair color. I always applaud those of our number who return to their natural hair color and texture. I blame the media for teaching us that we don't look nice enough without their products.

I also blame the media for force-feeding us the idea that unless we somehow change the appearance of our hair, our eyes, our lips, even our toenails, into some image of 'sexy' that we will be unable to attract a man, and that small children will run from us, shrieking "unclean"!

hahaha funny you mention this! I never thought my natural color looked right on me. I have very dark brown eyebrows, very dark brown eyes and a natural hair color that is lightish brown that bleaches out to gold, it just looks so very fake on me! So I do think the henna looks better on me, at least it's dark like my features (I will say though I've been contemplating adding indigo to the mix to get a nice dark brown) But I started using henna because of what it does for my hair (shine, softness, strength etc) and the color was a bonus (that I actually really love!). The only thing I'm sad about is once I have more grey in my hair I want to let it gray...I'll have a demarkation line for years to come I'm sure.

I am probably the lone wolf on this one, but I can't see the word 'shampoo' abbreviated into 'poo' without the 12 year old boy that lives in my head saying, "Hehehehe, she just said she rubs poo in her hair!" Let's not even get into the poo'ers, poo'ing, and poo'ed variations.

Just can't do it. Maybe I should be voted off the island for my immaturity. :D

Okay - you're not alone!

A word I hate (and used to get it done ALL the time) razoring.

I always called hair 'toys' hair 'jewelry' before I found LHC. But now that I have so many toys seems more apt.

zelah
April 11th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Straighten, tease, hairspray (usually followed by emptying half a huge aerosol can on someone's head)

Oh I so agree. Just watched a video the other night of someone putting up a french twist. The stylist at the end says "And then finish it off by lightly spraying some hairspray..." and then literally sprays the hair for the next half minute. Egads.

DrkAngel
April 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
haha good idea for a thread. For me it's the curling irons that really scare me. I also laugh whenever I hear the word "revitalize" in haircare commercials. "Dull, lifeless hair? X will bring it back to life". Duh, like we didnt know hair's dead... :liar:

ETA: I forgot to mention how I screech whenever I sense backcombing movement (was just surfing youtube hairstyles....). I bet they heard my screech all around Europe.

rubyann
April 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Cut
Razor cut
Too thin
Blowdry
Flat/Curling Iron
Product
Mousse
New, modern, hip, of the moment. Ick. It's not new, anyway!
Must have. I absolutely abhor anyone telling me what I MUST HAVE.

I don't mind the use of the word "toys" to refer to items necessary to hold my hair up. I like the term "hair jewelry" much better, though!

DrkAngel
April 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM

This bothers me, too. Natural color is nice. Low maintenance. But no matter how many threads we have about how to recover from "dye/bleach disaster," people keep right on coating their hair with that stuff, thinking they'll be the exception.

I third that. Nothing looks best as the natural color. I guess henna can look great on many different people, but still, the natural color will always look the best (at least to me).

happylynngilmer
April 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Somehow that word makes them sound like things that belong with a luxury bag

In the non-net world I sometimes live in, I actually call them hair accessories, but when I'm typing, toy is a MUCH shorter word LOL

bwahahahahahaha! Even worse if we called them our "bare necessities!" If we wear nothing else that day leaving the house, we will have on our bare necessity hair piece!

ETA:

She just didn't think that the short hair was the look she wanted for her bridesmaids, lol.

My co-worker has been wanting layers since I started working here, and actually has pictures of what she wants on her desk! One day I asked her why she did not just get them already and she said her sister would have a tantrum if she layered her hair before her sister's wedding becasue my co-worker is her matron of honor! Who cares!? ::shrugs::

Deborah
April 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Long before LHC I used to call such items 'toys'. I guess I thought of them as fun things to play with while trying to wrestle my hair into some semblance of order. I have tried way too many kooky things over the years, but I know lots of girls and women in my family and church, so I show them what I've got, we play with them, have a few good laughs (mostly at my non-expertise) and I give them away to whoever wants them. Works for me (and the recipients as well)!

cutenappygrl
April 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
- ads that say "this product will improve growth, shine, strength" and then when you find it in the store isle and read the ingredients its - mineral oil a bunch of cones and some menthol.
- "relaxed then lightened" - double processing is bad
- "attached weft of hair" - i hate bulky weaves
-"flat ironed" - not a good idea to sanwich your hair between two hot plates.

Michiru
April 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Back combing and teasing. It's like I can sense the breakage. :mad:

CurlyOne
April 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
"styling" gives me the creeps. I know "styling" isn't always something bad but every time I read it I see the words, "cut", "bob", "dye", "blow dry", or "flat iron" within the next three sentences.

n3m3sis42
April 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
It always irritates me when they start going on about 'your tresses' or 'your barnet' (er, it's probably just British magazines that talk about 'your barnet'). I know it must get boring to type 'hair hair hair' all the time in an article, but it's just such a cliché. I also hate seeing 'lotions and potions' for the same reason.

The "tresses" thing bothers me, too. And also, a few years ago, I guess the last time that short cuts with highlights were in, they always talked about how to make your hair look more "piece-y" in women's beauty magazines. Whaaaaaaat?

...And it's slightly off-topic, but the words that annoy me the most in those types of magazines that are not hair-related are "canoodle" and "gams".

SHELIAANN1969
April 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Chop, Bob, Buzz, Tease, Clip, Cut, "just a small trim" and Scissors!

Those words and expressions make me want to run fast fast fast!!

madisonclare
April 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
BLEACH!
damage
splits
flat iron
extensions
dreads
product

jojo
April 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
plopping! oh how i hate that term its awful!

Unofficial_Rose
April 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I was just going to say "Cut" :eek: Does anyone remember the hair-cutting sound effect that was on a thread on the old LHC? You could put the headphones on as it made the haircutting sounds - how we all cringed!

However, someone mentioned "razoring".
Yikes, sounds like cutting but more haphazard, with violent overtones ...shudder:

birdiefu
April 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Product (hate that word! I can always see/hear it Capitalized...)
Texture (another that I really dislike)
Double process
Sassy style (almost always very short)
Chop, Lop, or most things other than 'trim' or 'cut'
'Just hangs there'
Lank
Aging

Urchin
April 12th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Highlights.

birdiefu
April 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Oh, and 'dead ends'. Um....the whole length of hair is dead! Why can't they just say 'damaged' or something? Oh, then that might be admitting that all of the recommended dyeing, heat styling, and perming leads to these 'dead ends' at only less than shoulder-length?

Pegasus Marsters
April 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM

The media does not force feed me the idea that my hair is not good enough in its natural colour or texture. I leave it in it's natural texture (purely out of laziness and because flat irons never seem to make my hair straight) but my choice to colour my hair. Not because of the media, because of myself. The media is not the reason that i am unsatisfied with my hair colour. The fact that I personally think my natural colour is horrible is the reason I am unsatisfied with it. If someone wants to colour thier hair that is THEIR perogative and to be honest, no one gives a damn about getting applauded for dyeing or not dyeing thier hair.

You might find natural colour nice. Many of us do not like our natural colours. Plenty of people here HENNA but I don't see criticism for thier choices in doing so. If somebody is idiotic enough to bleach their hair WITHOUT being aware of the consequences that is thier problem, but do not tar us all with the same brush. I bleached my hair. It got damaged. I didn't sit and whine, I cut it off. And now I'm making the decision to bleach my hair again. Why? Because in my opinion I looked damn HOT with bleached hair. The vast majority of the time the people who have trouble with bleach is because they don't know how to use it correctly... and yes, I admit the damage to my hair was because I overused the bleach. My fault... but it's not your business to tell me that I shouldn't be bleaching my hair thinking i'm an exception to the rule. I'm not an exception. Bleach damages. I like how I look with bleached hair. Get over it, basically.

Oh and for the people going on about how they cant stand "short trendy" styles, who are you to judge? You'd all be up in arms if people with "short trendy" styles were telling you they couldn't STAND long hair and think it's disgusting or something. Stop being so hypocritical. -_-

prosperina
April 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
With all this criticism of henna and hair dye and the attendant praising of natural hair, I have the irrepressible urge to quote Oscar Wilde.

"Being natural is simply a pose, and the most irritating pose I know"

"Beauty is the wonder of wonders. It is only the shallow people who do not judge by appearances."

I could be teacherly and explain these, but I think they speak for themselves. :flowers: (And, no, I don't really find anyone irritating.)

prosperina
April 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Okay, no, I'm gonna add more. I can't help myself.

You can talk about the wonders of natural all you like, but it's just one more aesthetic choice among myriad others. No better, no worse. (And it's not like it all turns out badly; you just hear about the coloring and hennas that don't work.)

Words I don't like
frizz, bob, weave, razoring, trendy, product

ole gray mare
April 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
~The "poo" thing bothers me too, Madam Librarian. :) Can we please use the full word? It's only four extra letters, folks. ;)
~The overuse of the word "tresses" is also annoying.
~"Updating" is another one that bothers me, it's so presumptive.
~"Face framing layers" is another of those that is way overused in the media. No matter how lovely they may be (and I don't have a problem with them, BTW) that term just has a "flavor of the month" connotation.
~But I think the word that bothers me the most is "sebum". It just bothers me. The word itself just makes me "eww". I realize it's wonderful, natural and good for hair. But the word "sebum" bothers me.

Pegasus Marsters
April 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM
~But I think the word that bothers me the most is "sebum". It just bothers me. The word itself just makes me "eww". I realize it's wonderful, natural and good for hair. But the word "sebum" bothers me.

HAHA... yes, me too. But mostly because I read it and think of an entirely different thing -_- (despite the 3 letters being different)

Melisande
April 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Age appropriate short cut. Young, trendy, sexy etc in connection with a haircut.

Everything connected to heat styling.

Silicone drops. What a waste of money!

Oh, and lice of course :-)

Lixie
April 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Well said, Pegasus Marsters and prosperina. I actually love the look of unnatural, or natural dyed colours. I don't think it nescessarily means you're unhappy with your natural colour. Some people just have a different attitude towards their personal appearance, and I can respect that.

Back on topic: I dislike the use of 'poo instead of shampoo. It makes me think of think of faeces, no matter how many times I read with the alternate meaning. :shrug:

Alun
April 12th, 2008, 10:19 PM
It always irritates me when they start going on about 'your tresses' or 'your barnet' (er, it's probably just British magazines that talk about 'your barnet'). I know it must get boring to type 'hair hair hair' all the time in an article, but it's just such a cliché.

Stevy

Nothing wrong with Cockney rhyming slang. Barnet fair = hair, for those who want to know. Of course, if the person writing it isn't from London you have to wonder why they would call it that.

nowxisxforever
April 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Product, tease/teasing, blowdry/blowdrying, flat iron, straighten, relax, perm, salon, salon-quality (rubbish product, essentially)... things like.

kate46
April 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Oh well - look at me; these are the horrors that await the woman going gray.

The way I read this Spidermom was refering to people who ask for advice re - how to recover from dye/bleach disasters then ignore that advice and add damage to damage. I can't imagine Spidermom giving advice to anyone who didn't ask for it!

Peggy E.
April 13th, 2008, 08:23 AM
“I am Chopping off my hair”
Relaxers.
Bad brushing.
Chlorine water “the pool”

:mad:

Got that "Chopping" right, for sure!

Things that bother me are the ones that are total nonsense. You see this quite a bit and it almost qualifies for an oxymoron:

"Gently Tease..."

????? No such thing can happen!

Peggy E.
April 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Was this actually a hair term that readers would understand, "COOK," or, like me, were they left crossing their eyes and going, "Whad'da hey?!"

I've never seen that word used in reference to hairstyling, never! How do you "cook" your hair?! (Well, other than "frying," that is.....)

Cricket
April 13th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Hairspray and Gel (hatehatehatehatehate)

I had super short hair for many years and loved it, but stylists everywhere wanted to load my hair with gunk to 'volumize' it. Stylists in my hometown had two types of hairspray: regular, and one that had a pin shoved into the spray nozzle to widen it. :disgust: I started going to see men's barbers because when you said no hairspray, you got no hairspray. I looked good with short hair that wasn't spiked, fluffed, flipped, poufed or whatever the trend was. I did, however, use a hair wax on occasion... I now wish that I had known about shea butter back then.

And to me, Product is just too general a word. If someone says they only use a little product in their hair, it doesn't give you any idea what they're doing to it.

AutumnLeaves
April 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Probably already said, but I have to go with "bleach", "perm," and "relaxer!" So many chemicals, so bad for your hair!

blue_nant
April 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
"Makeover"

because if it's a woman with long hair, they ALWAYS chop off her hair !!!!

Any makeover, but I'm miffed about Oprah's makeovers which are the *same* as all the rest. Bah.

A herd of us should show up on her show and give her what-for ... nerp!

Stevy
April 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I agree about 'chop' and 'lop', particularly 'lop'. It makes me think about people in fairytales getting their HEADS chopped or lopped off, never mind their hair.

Oh, and 'gams' makes me cringe too. I don't know why, it just makes me feel like I've touched something icky.

Masara
April 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
backcombing.

I enjoy looking at hair care pages in magazines even if I know that I probably won't want to follow them (we all have different ways of doing things) but I get so frustrated when I see and interesting, do-able style and then the first thing they tell you to do is backcomb. I mean, they're already going to throw a ton of products on it anyway, why wreck it as well?

I recently saw an article about how the "new" ponytail was a bit rougher looking, so you should backcomb the roots before "smoothing" your hair back and then put some product on the tail part (I don't remember what) to make it look duller and rougher. I just can't see any time that I would want to make my hair look duller and rougher. Smoother and shinier, yes.

Gwaihiril
April 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Uses words like chop/hack/whack to refer to cutting hair always irritates me.

Hair gel also disgusts me; one of my brother's friends did a project in 7th or 8th grade where he used a q-tip to find the dust and other particles which collected in hair gel during the day. Since then, I have always been grossed out if I think about it, though I realize it can be useful.

Kunzang
April 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
split ends

Peggy E.
April 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Okay. So, I've been chewing on this little problem for a while, now, and trying to come up with suitable substitutes for the "hair toy really bothers me" issue. Didn't come up with much, either!

What about something like "Hair Helpers" or "Hair-Aids?" Dumb, yes, but then "Hair Toys" isn't exactly the smartest term around, either! ;o)

Hair-Doers? Hair-Duds?

Stop me, stop me, please......

Isilya
April 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Okay. So, I've been chewing on this little problem for a while, now, and trying to come up with suitable substitutes for the "hair toy really bothers me" issue. Didn't come up with much, either!

What about something like "Hair Helpers" or "Hair-Aids?" Dumb, yes, but then "Hair Toys" isn't exactly the smartest term around, either! ;o)

Hair-Doers? Hair-Duds?

You can go on, maybe you'll come up with the most brilliant name and everyone will like it. If not, you will have an extensive list of synonyms for the sticks and combs and forks and pins and such. Your vocabulary will amaze people :)
See? You win either way :cheer:

Unofficial_Rose
April 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
"Choppy layers" (= hacked about and unmanageable!):rant:

Chamomile betty
April 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
For starters, when anyone mentions the 80's as a decade I freak out a little. I think Aqua Net and teasing and they do not bring back any good memories lol

AJoifulNoise
April 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Shear, chop, trim... Basically anything that has to do with cutting hairs. I don't cut my hair at all so it gives me the willies. No offense to those that do. I just don't.

Backcombing, hair poping...

And the things that sound dirty, but really aren't: Plopping, 'poo, and hair toys. I am getting over the last of the three... But the first two get me every time.

Alun
April 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM
"scissors"and "cut" :(

Those would be the ones!

rubyredslippers
April 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
"Clippers" (Scissors can be friends, for S&D, but there is NEVER an acceptable time for clippers.)
"Buzz"
"Makeover"
"Geometric bangs"
"Heavy bangs" (I grew out bangs once--never again. Wispy or sideswept ones can look nice on other people, but really heavy bangs, like half-your-head-of-hair heavy bangs, I cringe to see.)
"Ratting"
"teasing"
"Back combing"
"Mullet"

... and the scariest of all, "Mushroom cut"

Legend
April 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Flatiron
"Blow-dry the hair straight"
Stuff like: "No play for Mister Gray" and all those other anti-gray hair adverts. :rolleyes: I just don't like how people are made to feel embarrassed, unattractive, and socially unacceptable because of a natural result of aging (i.e. gray hair)

Toadstool
June 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM
wispy
thinning
sideswept
poo
tease
backcomb
pouffy
and hairtoys always makes me think of "adult" toys. i call them accessories.

Saranne772
June 1st, 2008, 06:21 AM
Ahh many! All mentioned here already :)

n3m3sis42
June 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM
I don't mean to seem rude, but I actually really don't like "condish" as an abbreviation for "conditioner". Not that I expect people to stop saying it, it just bugs me for some reason.

Don't hurt me. ;-)

FrannyG
June 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM
I don't mean to seem rude, but I actually really don't like "condish" as an abbreviation for "conditioner". Not that I expect people to stop saying it, it just bugs me for some reason.

Don't hurt me. ;-)

I won't hurt you, n3m3sis42, as I cringe at the sight of it too. I bet you love "poo" instead of shampoo too, right? :wink:

Dulci
June 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM
This has been mentioned before, but I always cringe at the overuse of the words Tresses, Locks and Mane.

n3m3sis42
June 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
I won't hurt you, n3m3sis42, as I cringe at the sight of it too. I bet you love "poo" instead of shampoo too, right? :wink:

You're right, "poo" isn't my favorite term, either. I can accept the term "no-poo" since it seems to be the actual term for a specific cleansing method. "Poo" on its own is a little offputting. :)

Katurday
June 1st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Crimping.
And those little girl hair beading machines.
D;

Kirin
June 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
I'll chime in on the two others don't like, I dont like them too.

Condish: I have no idea why LOL
Hair Toys: This one I know why it bothers me. Just MHO but I think it relegates them to some frivelous item thats unnessesary. And I don't play with them, I fight with them more personally. Granted no one would agree with me here, but I refer to them as "restraints" ROFL. (yes, in lieu of a straight jacket).

Okay onto terms I HATE!!

Traction: OMG the word sends me over the edge.. the sheer thought of it.

Wooly: That term for natural african american hair for whatever reason just... really annoys me.

Sleek: Just makes me think of forcing the hair down with some kind of mriacle spray/pomade/cone thing.

Groom: Takes me back to my grandfather and Vitalis.

Katurday
June 1st, 2008, 10:12 AM
I use condish and poo a lot. Same with 'dish.
I just like words with "sh" in them. Sounds cute to me.
Kishy > Kissy. Shvat? > What? Yesh plz > Yes please.

sahiba
June 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
backcombing for me too.

frizzinator
June 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Melisande mentioned the word "lice". Even if there was a more pleasant word to describe "lice", it would continue to be the only hair-related word that equally bothers everyone.

bugeyedmonster2
June 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
There aren't any hair words I really can't stand, but I dislike "chop" in reference to a haircut. And ficcare bothers me because I never remember how to spell it.

Ahahahaha! :rollin: I will now have that song in my head for the rest of the day. Look for the hair necessities, the simple hair necessities... I'm tempted to write the rest of the song now.

Hey, that could be a catchy song! Write it!

(^_^)/
BEM

bugeyedmonster2
June 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
haha good idea for a thread. For me it's the curling irons that really scare me. I also laugh whenever I hear the word "revitalize" in haircare commercials. "Dull, lifeless hair? X will bring it back to life". Duh, like we didnt know hair's dead... :liar:

:rollin: Sorry just having wild images of vampire hair with that.... bring back your hair to life! Or would that be zombie hair?

(^_^ )/
BEM

Paniscus
June 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Razoring
"thinning out"
Texturizing

eeeek, eeeeek, eeeeeek!:eek:shudder::run:

bugeyedmonster2
June 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Nothing wrong with Cockney rhyming slang. Barnet fair = hair, for those who want to know. Of course, if the person writing it isn't from London you have to wonder why they would call it that.

'Cause that accent sounds so, like, kewl! :lol:

(^_^)/
BEM

bugeyedmonster2
June 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hair gel also disgusts me; one of my brother's friends did a project in 7th or 8th grade where he used a q-tip to find the dust and other particles which collected in hair gel during the day. Since then, I have always been grossed out if I think about it, though I realize it can be useful.

Yea, I noticed that... hair spray seems to aid in dust collecting. And if you have an oily scalp, then you end up looking like you've mixed jojoba oil with some cones.

(^_^)/
BEM

vindo
June 1st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Pretty much every 2nd word is used in the wrong context or just silly...

"Add luster and shine" - with lots of chemicals and blowdrying..haha :rolleyes:

psvzum
June 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Thinning Shears

silverwoods
June 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Dye, bleach, tease, hairspray, blow dry.

kwaniesiam
June 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Bleach, tease, blowfry, flat iron, straighten, curling iron, split, razor, volumizing, stripping, and those little noises when people rip through their hair with a brush. That makes me cringe more than anything else, because it's a simple matter of patience and care that can easily avoid so much damage and breakage.

flapjack
June 6th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Perm. The biochemistry nerd in me shivers uncontrollably at the thought of a perm or any perm-related chemical coming within ten feet of one little hair on my head. The amino acids in my hair do not feel like being destroyed, eeep.

toodramatik
June 6th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Loss.

Thinning.

Cut. :(

BeatlesFanGirl
June 6th, 2008, 03:59 AM
"a sexy bob"

Curse Victoria Beckham, Katie Holmes, Rihanna and other 'stars' for making this trendy again.
I don't have anything against a bob cut as it is, but I hate how magazines are trying to make it the only cut one could possibly have in order to look nice.

How I HAAAAAATE that one too!! Plus, all stupid female magazines are full of these articles like "how to look like VB/Rihanna/Katie Holmes/Paris Hilton, what to wear, what haircut to have to look like those "stars",' how to mimic them. So ridiculous... Come on, I have my own style, I don't need theirs!

Ok, now let's go and have a sexy bob cut... let us all be clones!! :DD

GlassEyes
June 6th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Uhhhh...I think that going so far as to 'eek' when someone mentions or you read some of this stuff is a bit too far for me. XD The only hair related words that make me cringe are 'male pattern baldness', 'alopecia', etc. etc.

After all, what other people do to their hair isn't my business. Not everyone wants long, or cares enough to have 'healthy' hair.

30isthenewblack
June 6th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Uhhhh...I think that going so far as to 'eek' when someone mentions or you read some of this stuff is a bit too far for me. XD The only hair related words that make me cringe are 'male pattern baldness', 'alopecia', etc. etc.

After all, what other people do to their hair isn't my business. Not everyone wants long, or cares enough to have 'healthy' hair.

I agree. Those words make me cringe as well :rolleyes: The word trim makes me sweat.

Short hair, chemically straightened hair or chemically coloured hair, natural hair ... who cares???

I personally love Rhianna's short hair. It looks hot on her. I don't think that everyone can pull off long hair and I don't think that short hair looks good on everyone. Just because someone may choose to have long hair, doesn't mean that short hair doesn't look good on other people. :grouphug:

Forever_Sophie
June 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Just 1 nickname: "Blowfry."

Forever_Sophie
June 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Excellent post!! :) I completely agree w/ you!

meliora
June 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Poo. Oh, how I loathe that one.

Forever_Sophie
June 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Poo. Oh, how I loathe that one.

Oh, me too!! I thought of that but wasn't positive if it was used around here (maybe I've come to block it out? lol) It was used constantly on another site I visited.

camillacamilla
June 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM
teasing, back combing, bleach. ugh.

justinekay
June 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
My least favourite words would have to be - tangle, knot, bird's nest... :-( I had a friend who got her tailbone length hair into such a knotty mess while washing it that she had to have it cut off at shoulder length. We don't know to this day how it happened, but it was sooo traumatic :-(

toodramatik
June 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
My least favourite words would have to be - tangle, knot, bird's nest... :-( I had a friend who got her tailbone length hair into such a knotty mess while washing it that she had to have it cut off at shoulder length. We don't know to this day how it happened, but it was sooo traumatic :-(

OH MY GOD.

WHY COULDNT SHE JUST CONDITION AND USE A WIDE TOOTH COMB?

Morag
June 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Hair-Doers? Hair-Duds?

I think I just read in another thread - can't think where - that someone's BF called them "Hair Utensils" (because there were forks)? I thought that was pretty good.

I like "hair toys" because I really do feel they're my toys. I like to look at them and play with them. They give me a lot of pleasure. Toys are meant to stimulate imagination and creativity and they do that. While I am playing with mine, I often imagine how good they are going to look in my long, lush hair when I "grow up", and all the updos I want to try with them then.

But I can go with "hair utensils" if we want to be a bit more formal. :D

Words that make me shudder in relation to hair:

thin
balding
fragile
receding
rough
dry
broken
harsh

LadyMoon11
June 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM
The word "sebum" bugs me. Not the concept, just the word. Its eewwy to me.

Nevermore
June 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
OH MY GOD.

WHY COULDNT SHE JUST CONDITION AND USE A WIDE TOOTH COMB?

That was exactly what I thought O.O I mean, slippery stuff of her choice, a VERY wide tooth comb and several hours would probably have spared her at least most of her hair.

Pikkukala
June 7th, 2008, 12:38 AM
My least favourite hair related words are probably scissors, hairdresser, and hair spray. :(

whiteisle
June 7th, 2008, 05:19 AM
highlighting - years ago I had mine done using the cap and the girl pulling little pieces through with a pick - oweeee!!!

layers - desparately trying to grow mine out for the last time!

MotherConfessor
June 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM
the sound of anyone saying

"your hair would look so good if you...."

"have you considered donati....! (here they stop talking because i am holding a hair stick in what could possibly be construed as a threatening manner)

"I cant grow my hair out because it looks bad when it gets long. Why yes I blow dry, bleach and perm it strait, why do you ask?"

longhairedfairy
June 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I think I just read in another thread - can't think where - that someone's BF called them "Hair Utensils" (because there were forks)? I thought that was pretty good.

I like "hair toys" because I really do feel they're my toys. I like to look at them and play with them. They give me a lot of pleasure. Toys are meant to stimulate imagination and creativity and they do that. While I am playing with mine, I often imagine how good they are going to look in my long, lush hair when I "grow up", and all the updos I want to try with them then.

But I can go with "hair utensils" if we want to be a bit more formal. :D

I prefer "hair ornaments"

Kevyspen
June 8th, 2008, 12:30 AM
....when makeover hairdressers say "long hair drags down her features" -

Frequently (IMO) it is not the long hair which is doing this, if anything, it is the styling of her hair!

longhairedfairy
June 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
....when makeover hairdressers say "long hair drags down her features" -

Frequently (IMO) it is not the long hair which is doing this, if anything, it is the styling of her hair!

That's too true!

MissHair
June 9th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I agree, ''Hair toys'' make me shiver. Also, teasing, bleaching, flatironing.

Carina
June 9th, 2008, 04:28 AM
* lice
*bleach
*blow-fryer
*damage
*when hair snaps/breaks can't stand that sound.

systemaurora
June 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
monistat.

oh wait.... :P