PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut?

Dientje
April 11th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I just need some advice...

I have masses of split ends in the bottom layer of my hair. They go up quite far, sometimes even 4-5 inches. Should I cut this much of my hair off, or could this problem be solved with S&D? The rest of my hair seems fine, only some splits in my layers.
I have cut my hair before, but this didn't seem to help. I though that was caused by the fact that I was growing out an old perm, but the hair that is left now is virgin (well, hennaed, but definately not chemically treated). I would really prefer not to cut my hair, since it seems to become an endless story! And I know that my hair can get quite long, I've reached hip 10 years ago. (And cut it, stupid stupid me!)

My hair is approximately BSL now, and I just use dilutes shampoo to wash and condition the ends with a cone-free conditioner. I started oiling with coconut oil two months ago, which my hair really likes..

Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you!

eadwine
April 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I would start by doing a heavy S&D indeed. You can always cut later when that doesn't seem to help. Also, how are you wearing your hair most of the time? Throwing and keeping it up for a while might help there if you are wearing it loose (lots of rubbing causes splits too).

Dientje
April 11th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Hmm, yes I might indeed put it up more often. I usually wear it either loose or in a low ponytail...

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I second the S&D first, and after that you can do micro trims to help keep it under control.

suicides_eve
April 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM
yea i 3rd the S&D followed by micro trim they really do impove the ends of your hair.

spidermom
April 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
A couple of months ago I was struggling with split ends. I was S&Ding every day, it seemed. No matter how often I did it, I always found more splits. It seemed like the ends of my hair were unraveling - terrible! One day I braided my hair and noticed that the very end was thinner than a pencil, and I still had splits sticking out. I didn't want ends that thin. So I had 3-4 inches cut off. It took some getting used to. None of my favorite styles would hold with those newly smooth, blunt ends. But I'm SO much happier with my hair. I don't regret it one bit. It's really nice to have the time that I was spending on S&D free to do other things now.

missy60
April 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
What I did with my layers is get frequent small dustings. You would not believe the improvement of my hair condition after getting just the tiniest amount cut off. I got this done frequently and now my ends have improved so much. I now have went 4 month before I had to have the dusting done.

Dientje
April 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Thank you all for your reply! I have started some intense S&D and it does seem to have effect. I will continue this, I can always cut later if I find this insufficient.. Or if the ends get too thin..

salamander
April 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
That sounds a lot like my old brushing damage. Do you brush or comb?

Dientje
April 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I used to brush, but I invested in some good combs now. I now have three different ones, one wide-toothed and two regular. I also bought a BBB, but well, my hair totally dislikes that. It will get completely static and oily, so I've given that up..
Maybe you're right, and it's old brushing damage. I hope so, that means it will go away soon!