PDA

View Full Version : Padme Bun!

Dementia1013
July 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM
So apparently I'm only inspired at night... lol. I've been wanting to learn how to do this, for the longest time. My son was watching episode 1 today and I walked into his room and saw Padme's hair on Naboo once again. I sighed because I really wanted to do it, but didn't know how.

The longer I looked at it, the more I convinced myself that I knew how they did it. Well, not how they did it, because she's wearing a wig, but you know what I mean.

I sat down and toyed around and I think I came darn close. Behold! Submitted for the approval of the LHC I give you. PADME'S BATTLE BUN!!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/Dementia1013/IMG_0541.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/Dementia1013/IMG_0546.jpg

Sad to say that this is the only comparison photo I could find... Hopefully you know what this is supposed to be...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/Dementia1013/amidala_back.jpg

Friesiangirl
July 6th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Wow, that's so beautiful! Especially with your hair color. It's fierce. It looks fairly accurate too.

Hayley

snowbear
July 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Ooooh, that looks awesome!

dragonfrog
July 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I love that bun! (both in the movie and on you :) ) How did you do it?

Flynn
July 6th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Tu-to-ri-aaal s'il vous plait!

Looks wonderful!

Dementia1013
July 6th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Thank you so much everyone! :D

I'll make a tutorial later on tomorrow. I'm also going to wear it tomorrow and let you know how well it holds throughout the day. :D

Aditi
July 6th, 2009, 04:13 AM
The bun looks great especially on your hair color, Congrats :)

Kylis
July 6th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I agree that with your color it looks extra fierce! But really cool bun anyway!

gmdiaz
July 6th, 2009, 05:25 AM
OMG! I love it.

And "fierce" is the right word for the bun in your color hair. I love it!

I can't wait to hear/see how you did it!

eadwine
July 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
It sure looks good. How is the hold of it? On me I think this would go floop in an instant :lol:

mellie
July 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Very cool! Love the color too!

Finoriel
July 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Great style and very well done :) Iīm curious to see how you do it and how well it stays in your hair.
I tried it several times some years ago, but needed to adapt all existing tutorials to my hair length and while it looked good my version turned out to be a very floppy and unstable style. If it does not survive the ībattleī of leaving the house :p itīs a poor battle style.
The Styling Station also has a very old tutorial for it > Padme battel hair style (http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/message/1051719420/Variation+on+one+Star+Wars+hair+style---) and I remember one other good tutorial, but for the live of me canīt recall where it was. Mmh will add it later in case my brain starts working again :silly:

Niphredil
July 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM
(...) and I remember one other good tutorial, but for the live of me canīt recall where it was. Mmh will add it later in case my brain starts working again :silly:
Do you mean Starfilly's tutorial? Her site is here (http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com) but no longer updated I think. The padme-bun is listed under Episode I.

Finoriel
July 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Aah yes, thatīs the one I meant!

Thankīs so much niphredil :flower: not remembering the site would have bothered me for the whole day and usually that results in waking up randlomly in the middle of the night when my subconscious found the information. :lol: My other half is lucky, now I wonīt wake up and say "Starfilly!" at 02:37 :p.

RoseRedDead
July 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
That's awesome! Eagerly awaiting a tutorial, and hoping I don't have to have longer hair to do it...

Niphredil
July 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Aah yes, thatīs the one I meant!

Thankīs so much niphredil :flower: not remembering the site would have bothered me for the whole day and usually that results in waking up randlomly in the middle of the night when my subconscious found the information. :lol: My other half is lucky, now I wonīt wake up and say "Starfilly!" at 02:37 :p.

Hahaha :D I have been know to do similar things.
Glad I could help you and your SO to a good nights' sleep, well, at least in this matter ;)

eresh
July 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Looks good!
How did it hold during the day?

ZadenWillowfyre
July 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
that is very rad! I would so do this if I had a tutorial!

TheKnight'sLady
July 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM
It looks so cool! Your hair color is awesome too :)

Zombiekins
July 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I remember how it's supposed to look! And you're spot on! I never expect real hair to look like wig hair in the movies....but damn that is soo close. How did it hold up?

Do you mean Starfilly's tutorial? Her site is here but no longer updated I think.

Aww, do you know why? I've spent some time here and there checking out her site and styles, but never had the patience to try them out when my hair was classic. Has life gotten in the way? Or is she just not in to messing with her hair for hours anymore? :(

Lioness
July 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Looks cool! I enjoy seeing different buns than the usual cinnabun variations. The're also pretty, but still

Leabhar
July 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Very cool! The purple kicks it up a notch, lol.

ladylibra
July 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I remember... you did a great job! I love it! :D

Dementia1013
July 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hey guys! Ok, so I'm not home yet, I'm actually typing this out at my MIL's house. Just wanted to let you know, that I'm not ignoring you, nor have I forgotten you.

So I've worn the hairstyle all day. I even added a little dangly, so that it would qualify for the wear a hair toy everyday challenge, and it's held like a rock.

This secret is the topsy tail, believe it or not.

Make a pony in the middle of your head, but don't finish it, the second time you're pulling through leave a loop at the top. Take a small piece of hair and wrap around the ponytail base and use a topsy tail to feed it through. Then fold the hair up and place an elastic around that forming a second loop. Use your left over hair to wrap around the second pony tail and topsy tail hair through and voila! You're done and it's extra secure because of the extra hair that you wrapped around!

If that doesn't make sense to you, I will be making a tutorial tonight.

Gotta go for now. :D

Nyghtingale
July 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Love it, so much.

Bunnyhare
July 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Tu-to-ri-aaal s'il vous plait!

Looks wonderful!
YES! You are so creative and talented!

keight425
July 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM
This looks awesome! I especially love the side view of it!:eek:

Elainehali
July 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
That is really neat. I'm going to be on the lookout for the tutuorial. ;)

Dementia1013
July 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Ok so here is how I wore my hair today.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/Dementia1013/IMG_0549-1.jpg

And it stayed really well. I had some frizzies' going on at the end of the day, but it was wicked windy here, and I'm growing out layers. I have to make the top loop smaller I think, but other than that quite successful! :D

I will record a tutorial as soon as my hair dries. I'm still trying to figure out a hair to oil ratio that works for me... anyway. Will post it later tonight. :D

OhioLisa
July 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yours looks great! I did this style a couple years ago, though a lazier version secured with a hair slide:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/ohiolisa06/Styles/amydalaside.jpg

Auryn
July 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair color!

The bun looks great as well. :D

aprilmay
July 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Your bun looks fantastic!

Dementia1013
July 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Padme Battle Bun Tutorial. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RGVTZxZnU

free_hug
July 7th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Cuuuute :) and i'm not going to repeat my compliments on your color any more, in case you're getting bored with it :D

Dementia1013
July 7th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Cuuuute :) and i'm not going to repeat my compliments on your color any more, in case you're getting bored with it :D

I appreciate any compliment. Thank you. :D

Flynn
July 7th, 2009, 02:05 AM
O-o-o-oh! That's clever!

Fifty-Five
July 7th, 2009, 03:11 AM
That's a really good duplication! I'd have to say it's bang on, but even if it's not, it looks fantastic!

Krifantasy
July 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Great tutorial! I cannot wait to get home and try this. Thanks for posting it!

Dementia1013
July 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'm glad everyone likes it! :D
When you do try it out post pics please. :cheese:

JKRBeloved
July 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Dementia, the tutorial is great! Your color, shine, and thickness are amazing. What an awesome style. I imagine mine is too short to get the effect, but I'll try it anyway to see what happens.

HeatherJenae
July 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
You rock Dementia!!! Thanks for the Youtube video. Videos always make it a lot easier to understand a seemingly complicated hairstyling. I almost never wear my hair in updo's like buns because I'm afraid they look too old fashioned, but this one is modern and cool. :)

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 01:27 AM
You rock Dementia!!! Thanks for the Youtube video. Videos always make it a lot easier to understand a seemingly complicated hairstyling. I almost never wear my hair in updo's like buns because I'm afraid they look too old fashioned, but this one is modern and cool. :)

Good i'm glad! :D
They turn out smaller than Padme's, but hers is a wig. I would love to see Torrinpaige, or eresh or someone with LONG hair do this one. I bet they could look JUST LIKE Padme. :D

Finoriel
July 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I just tried, sadly your version does not work for my lenght either. :(
Itīs just too unstable, but better than my attempts before. Iīll try to adapt your version and see if I can find a way to make it hold. (Almost kneelength, need to update my profile data :wink:)

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I just tried, sadly your version does not work for my lenght either. :(
Itīs just too unstable, but better than my attempts before. Iīll try to adapt your version and see if I can find a way to make it hold. (Almost kneelength, need to update my profile data :wink:)

I was wondering about that... what if you didn't pull your pony through all the way the first time? so that it's already halved BEFORE you make the top loop?

Hannah83
July 8th, 2009, 03:16 AM
That looks so cool, and your hair is just... :bowtome:

I have to try it, but i think my hair might be to short. I would love to see this in a braided version. :D.... Good job! :flowers:

ilyasviel
July 8th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Oh how cute bun! Have to try that.

Niphredil
July 8th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Wow, yours looks fabulous too !!! (And I truly envy your shine !! )

Niphredil
July 8th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Aww, do you know why? I've spent some time here and there checking out her site and styles, but never had the patience to try them out when my hair was classic. Has life gotten in the way? Or is she just not in to messing with her hair for hours anymore? :(

I have no idea why. She used to frequent here and on the Loom but I haven't seen her around in years. Probably life took over or she is just lurking a bit whenever she has time.

Finoriel
July 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I was wondering about that... what if you didn't pull your pony through all the way the first time? so that it's already halved BEFORE you make the top loop?

I need to pull the pony all the way through, it sags too fast if I don´t do that, but I have strong elastics to solve that. The problem is more the right wrapping of the excess length without getting the loops shaped wonky. And I might have to pin it with u-shaped pins to prevent the whole thing from tilting... or I just do it vertically to begin with *rofl* would look like a gigantic hair-bow.

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I need to pull the pony all the way through, it sags too fast if I donīt do that, but I have strong elastics to solve that. The problem is more the right wrapping of the excess length without getting the loops shaped wonky. And I might have to pin it with u-shaped pins to prevent the whole thing from tilting... or I just do it vertically to begin with *rofl* would look like a gigantic hair-bow.

I've actually considered doing that. It would be like a big anime bow on the back of your head, may be have a ponytail underneath it that you could make two braided 'ribbons' out of. :D Could be cute.

Rentlle
July 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
love it!
thanx so much for the tutorial!
it's great!

shadowclaw
July 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I was thinking about doing your Padme bun today, so I decided to give it a whirl. It came out kind of ok... I had to change it a little because I didn't have enough hair at the end to wrap, so I saved a piece after the first ponytail that I didn't include in the second. Then I just kind of stuffed my ends behind everything.

http://www.snowdragon.org/stuff/padme1.jpg

It's a bit floppy, I'm afraid.