PDA

View Full Version : what do we think of long hair salons?

pdy2kn6
July 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Ohkay, had to revise it because i was rambling on. basically i am thinking about going to a long hair salon just to get a good trim, like one of the george michael salons in amercia (but this one is called the neil ward salon in london-speciallising in long hair). What does everyone think about long hair salons? has anyone been to a long hair salon before? or plan on going to one in the future? had any success in the past with going to them?

:)

nowxisxforever
July 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I haven't been to one but I would probably go once just to see how it was. If it's a "long hair salon" they should-- read, should-- be better about not chopping 9350209 inches off if you so much as breathe.

enfys
July 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I will probably do to one, but only with some else to watch my back. Literally.

I'm pretty sure the one you're talking about is actually a George Michael salon branch. As far as I know they don't encourage layers or razoring or anything, so it should be a quality cut by our standards!

Elfling
July 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'd totally go try one out if there was one in my area, I think it's a terrific idea. I would certainly hope they'd be better about cuts and so on.

hennaphile
July 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I've never been , but I'd love to open one :D

Shell
July 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have an appointment with one this weekend, and I'll report on it in my blog. You might also want to check out the Enchantress/Ohio meet thread going right now, as they report on their experiences.

Tap Dancer
July 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I don't know what you think. I think they sound great and I hope to visit one someday. ;)

Anlbe
July 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I've been to see Neil, he's great and yes it is a George Michael salon. If I was organized enough I wouldn't ever get my hair trimmed anywhere else, its just so nice to go somewhere that you know they won't take a mm more off than they have to. I have a 25% off voucher somewhere, but I'm in Brussels for the next ten days otherwise I could send it to you.

Koala Kim
July 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I've been to Enchantress & Rapunzel's; both George Michael salons.

At their salons, they know what dusting means. They know what 1/4" means. :)

I have always enjoyed going to Enchantress (Rapunzel's was a special trip) and will continue to go.
They understand long hair. And hair in general. ;)

pdy2kn6
July 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I've never been , but I'd love to open one :D

haha me too, it would be so fun having a long hair salon!!

hennaphile
July 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
haha me too, it would be so fun having a long hair salon!!

That and hendigo is so freakin' messy :cheese:

wiggleit76
July 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
This may be a stupid question, but do you have to have long hair to go to a long hair salon? I mean, I went in with my just-shoulder length hair would I be laughed out of there?

pdy2kn6
July 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
This may be a stupid question, but do you have to have long hair to go to a long hair salon? I mean, I went in with my just-shoulder length hair would I be laughed out of there?

lol, no I don't think so, I think it's open for anyone with long hair/aspiring to grow long hair.

wiggleit76
July 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Well as I'm close to London I'd really like to give them a go.

I've looked at their price list it's almost the same as what I'm paying and I'm sick of having to shriek at my hairdresser EVERY time I see him "noooo put that razor away!" shudder:

RedStripe
July 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I like the idea; never been to one.

Anyone know how to go about finding a long hair salon in one's area? Do they usually advertise as long hair salons? Any lists around of recommended long hair salons?

Nes
July 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I saw Neil Ward at the GM salon in London and wasn't very happy with the results.

I know others have been very positive about him (and the GM salons in general) but I wanted you to be aware of my experience so you can make an informed decision.

I went to see him on recommendation, and althought he was friendly, the service wasn't great (I wasn't even offered a drink for example) We discussed my hair goals, and he went though some aspects of hair care with me.

Here was my first problem. Some aspects of the GM method he told me about are (in my opinion) complete rubbish. For example he told me -

- Having a fringe or layers in your hair "stunts" the growth of the length of your hair, because your hair will try and even itself out in length

- that I should part my hair opposite to how it naturally falls to "exercise" the erector pillae muscles (I would appreciate a science expert wading in here but i'm pretty sure you can't exercise "smooth" type muscle in the same way as striated muscle)

- that using a BBB is right for everyone despite my protesting that my hair is far too thick and wavy to get a BBB though it

- that GM products are the only ones I should be using on my hair

- that blunt cut ends are the only way for long hair to look nice on anyone

This last point was the source of the problem I think. I had a U shaped hemline, and was very happy with it. I showed him on my hair how much I would like to come off (it was to be about an inch) but stressed I wanted to keep the overall shape. He didn't seem to acknowlege that I was happy with my hemline shape and ended up taking off about 3 inches of the longest part in order to even it up and make it blunter.

I came away a bit upset at the loss of length to my hair, and the blunter shape which I don't like on me.

Also to my utter disbelief, he combed my hair from the top down with a narrow tooth comb! My hair is super thick and takes some patient detangling. I heard some hairs snapping as he was doing it. I was so surprised that he did this.

Another thing that bothered me was when he assesed my hair for breakage, I suspect that he didn't really know what he was talking about. He told me I had ponytail damage around my nape length hair.

Everyone else I have spoken to who has seen him has said he told them the same.

I think this is to make you believe that he can clearly see your hair damage (everyone wears a pony sometimes right?). He seemed a bit awkward and embarrased when I told him I never ever tied my hair in a ponytail.

Also, I have a clearly visible demarkation line and severe breakage in my hair (about 3 inches from scalp) from previous flat ironing which he didn't notice.

I maybe a little paranoid, but it seemed like a bit of a confidence trick to me.

What was worse than this for me was the hard sell he put on me. I told him as we were chatting that I recently quit my job and was barely getting by for money. He was telling me about the GM products and how important it was that I use them. He went away for a minute and came back with a "personalised" hair plan, which was a guide of how and when to use the various GM products with my name typed at the top.

He told me this plan of action was vital for my hair. I asked him how much all the products would cost and he said £90!! Needless to say I didn't buy a thing. Before I left he stressed the importance to me of returning every 6 weeks for a trim.

I won't be going back,

Nes x

P.S. If I can figure out how i'll create an album in my profile with before and after to show the amount of hair I lost.

neon-dream
July 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I think they're a great idea! I'd love to go to one, but I don't think there's one any where near me which is a shame.

Tabitha
July 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your detailed input Nes - I'd been considering going to Neil Ward but I'd read about the GM dictum on fringes, layers and shaped hemlines and that was what put me off, because I have - a fringe, face-framing collarbone-length layers and a gently layered hemline! and I'm sticking with that. Your post confirms that I wouldn't get what I wanted by going there, so I'll stick with my trusted stylist.

Whilst there are many on LHC who've been very happy with GM salons, I know of at least one member (with thick, curly hair) who decided not to return to them because their approach didn't seem flexible, more a "one size fits all". This is the link to their blog entry analysing their experience (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=30885). (As one of their "friends"/contacts, I can't tell if their blog is private so apologies to anyone who might find they are unable to read it.)

Eireann
July 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I saw Neil Ward at the GM salon in London and wasn't very happy with the results.

I know others have been very positive about him (and the GM salons in general) but I wanted you to be aware of my experience so you can make an informed decision.

I went to see him on recommendation, and althought he was friendly, the service wasn't great (I wasn't even offered a drink for example) We discussed my hair goals, and he went though some aspects of hair care with me.

Here was my first problem. Some aspects of the GM method he told me about are (in my opinion) complete rubbish. For example he told me -

- Having a fringe or layers in your hair "stunts" the growth of the length of your hair, because your hair will try and even itself out in length

- that I should part my hair opposite to how it naturally falls to "exercise" the erector pillae muscles (I would appreciate a science expert wading in here but i'm pretty sure you can't exercise "smooth" type muscle in the same way as striated muscle)

- that using a BBB is right for everyone despite my protesting that my hair is far too thick and wavy to get a BBB though it

This last point was the source of the problem I think. I had a U shaped hemline, and was very happy with it. I showed him on my hair how much I would like to come off (it was to be about an inch) but stressed I wanted to keep the overall shape. He didn't seem to acknowlege that I was happy with my hemline shape and ended up taking off about 3 inches of the longest part in order to even it up and make it blunter.

I came away a bit upset at the loss of length to my hair, and the blunter shape which I don't like on me.

Also to my utter disbelief, he combed my hair from the top down with a narrow tooth comb! My hair is super thick and takes some patient detangling. I heard some hairs snapping as he was doing it. I was so surprised that he did this.

Another thing that bothered me was when he assesed my hair for breakage, I suspect that he didn't really know what he was talking about. He told me I had ponytail damage around my nape length hair.

I think this is to make you believe that he can clearly see your hair damage (everyone wears a pony sometimes right?). He seemed a bit awkward and embarrased when I told him I never ever tied my hair in a ponytail.

Also, I have a clearly visible demarkation line and severe breakage in my hair (about 3 inches from scalp) from previous flat ironing which he didn't notice.

I maybe a little paranoid, but it seemed like a bit of a confidence trick to me.

What was worse than this for me was the hard sell he put on me. I told him as we were chatting that I recently quit my job and was barely getting by for money. He was telling me about the GM products and how important it was that I use them. He went away for a minute and came back with a "personalised" hair plan, which was a guide of how and when to use the various GM products with my name typed at the top.

He told me this plan of action was vital for my hair. I asked him how much all the products would cost and he said £90!! Needless to say I didn't buy a thing. Before I left he stressed the importance to me of returning every 6 weeks for a trim.

I won't be going back,

Nes x

P.S. If I can figure out how i'll create an album in my profile with before and after to show the amount of hair I lost.

Thanks for your review. It was very helpful. When I saw this thread, I my first thought was "I wish there was a GM salon near me." After reading your review, I realize that any salon is in the business of making money, and if my real goal is to avoid cutting my hair, then I should do everything possible so that I don't need a trim, and when I do, either do it myself or have a friend/relative do it. My last salon experience was such a horror show, I won't have much trouble staying away for at least another year!

wiggleit76
July 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Nes thanks for your review - the thought of anyone wielding a fine tooth comb through anyone's hair in such a manner is terrifying, especially a supposed 'long hair expert' :bigeyes:

may1em
July 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM
So it turns out that long hair salons are like other salons, in that there are good stylists and bad ones. And there is still brainwashing, just a different kind.

It's good to know GM isn't curl-friendly, so I can save time and money.

I went to a longhair friendly stylist once, and while she did a good job on the trim, and only took an inch off (if that), she also used a painfully narrow comb on my hair, which destroyed my waves. I went to a Curly Girl method salon another time, and it looked great, but I lost 3-4 inches.

This is why I trim my own hair.

I would love to be able to go to a salon and have someone oil my hair, give me a scalp massage, and wash my hair with herbs and then do something cool and braided, though. Are there salons that do that? The part I miss most about salons is the scalp massage when the stylist is washing my hair.

pdy2kn6
July 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM

I won't be going back,

Nes x

Thanks so much for your detailed review, it has really made me rethink it, perhaps it isn't worth the expense and the time I would have to spend getting there!

enfys
July 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Aww Nes you spoiled my fun. Having read that I will probably never ever go to a GM salon. Why did you have to be so honest and open about your experience?

Tabitha
July 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks for putting up those pictures - not impressive! :evil:

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience and thank you again for taking the time to share it with us in such detail.

Koala Kim
July 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your detailed input Nes - I'd been considering going to Neil Ward but I'd read about the GM dictum on fringes, layers and shaped hemlines and that was what put me off, because I have - a fringe, face-framing collarbone-length layers and a gently layered hemline! and I'm sticking with that. Your post confirms that I wouldn't get what I wanted by going there, so I'll stick with my trusted stylist.

Whilst there are many on LHC who've been very happy with GM salons, I know of at least one member (with thick, curly hair) who decided not to return to them because their approach didn't seem flexible, more a "one size fits all". This is the link to their blog entry analysing their experience (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=30885). (As one of their "friends"/contacts, I can't tell if their blog is private so apologies to anyone who might find they are unable to read it.)

Foo! Just lost my post! :taz:

I'm not sure if the person's blog listed above is visible to the general public or not. :flower:
But since I was there with said person... :eyebrows:

The hair in question is gorgeous, thick, 3a hair.
The owner did seem to have a "my way or the highway" attitude.
While her hair turned out looking lovely right after the treatment, by the end of the night, it was frizzing up and corkscrewing it's way back to it's natural shape.

I can see where the owner's attitude would have a negative effect. Especially when working with curly hair.

The GM salon I go to is more flexible. They are willing to work with the curl. They also do not mind putting in fringe, bangs, or blunt hemlines (as opposed to the "U" shape GM suggests).

I highly suggest the free consult with a stylist. If there is something that makes you feel uncomfortable, mention it to the stylist. If they are not willing to work with you, walk out.

Remember- you are paying them for a service. It should be done to your satisfaction. :flower:

Nes
July 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Wow, i'm glad Tabitha, Eireann, Wiggleit, Pdy2kn6 and Enfys you found my post helpful :o)

I would just like to add though, that Anlbe went to see Neil Ward as well and had a very positive experience, so I think it really depends on the person.

I would say it would be worth anyone considering going if you want one-length-blunt-ends hair, and if you are anything up to about a medium thickness 1c, but if not, I would say go to someone else.

I wouldn't want my experience to put anyone off from going to any other GM salon, as Koala Kim pointed out, techniques, flexability etc. will vary from salon to salon.

I'm glad I posted now and managed to turn my poo-poo experience into a helpful warning for some of you heehee

Nes x

Anlbe
July 8th, 2009, 06:57 AM
grrr, I just lost my post! I was writing a more detailed review of my experience with Neil Ward's GM salon in London, but then I accidently closed the window. So this won't be as long as the original but, take two.....

I think the first thing to say about any GM salon is that they believe quite passionately in their system being the 'best' for healthy hair. Obviously we all know our hair better than any specialist so its unlikely you'll agree with everything they say or want to use all of their products. So when Neil says for example that oils can't be absorbed into hair and recommends the cream rinse I smile and nod and say I'm happy with the products I'm using, and thats the end of the conversation.

I get the standard GM blunt cut because it makes my hair look about twice as thick at the ends (there's a photo in my album, I'd post it here but I've never worked out how to) but I've seen people get other cuts. They lady before me last time had shoulder length hair with big curls set into it and slightly layered.
For me the benefit is that I know that for me he's never cut off a mm more than was necessary, and I enjoy having someone else to a S&D on my hair. Plus he always puts my hair up for me afterwards (I think updo hair styling is what he really enjoys) which is nice.

On the subject of damage assessment, I've never been told that I had pony tail damage, when I originally went Neil said I had damage as if from a high bun (which I used to do with a silk scrunchie) and at the nape from my coat. Another time he spotted that I had damage at about ear level which was from wearing hats that were to tight. When I went back this spring after having been away for five years he said I had no damage of that sort - just from the bad highlights I had two years ago.

I had very pleasant attentive service including tea and biscuits (they have the cleverest tea set) and have always been very happy. Of course no salon is perfect for everyone but this is definitely my favourite place to get a trim.

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I would love to try a long hair salon. I think I'd feel safer in there than any of the salons around here. (Alabama has nothing cool!! :( ) Besides, it's getting harder to do my own trims, since my hair is mid-palm length and my arms are starting to feel too short.......and yes I've tried it, but Feye's method just doesn't work for me personally. Maybe I'm too uncoordinated or something, I don't know. :confused:

enfys
July 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I would love to try a long hair salon. I think I'd feel safer in there than any of the salons around here. (Alabama has nothing cool!! :( ) Besides, it's getting harder to do my own trims, since my hair is mid-palm length and my arms are starting to feel too short.......and yes I've tried it, but Feye's method just doesn't work for me personally. Maybe I'm too uncoordinated or something, I don't know. :confused:

Wow. For the first time in 6 years of long hair websites and forums, I just realised your hair can get too long to self trim with Feye's method. Looks like I definately won't be passing classic...

wiggleit76
July 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I can only dream of to getting to that length :pray:

TokyoPink
July 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I would also love to open a long hair salon, although I think I would market it at people with different length hair too who were growing it out or had hair that was particularly difficult to manage, and focus more on using more natural products on clients, like coconut oil, rather than pressuring them buy 'professional' products that cost a bomb, and teaching how to properly care for their hair rather than filling their head with myths like most hairdressers nowadays do.

nowxisxforever
July 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Wow. For the first time in 6 years of long hair websites and forums, I just realised your hair can get too long to self trim with Feye's method. Looks like I definately won't be passing classic...

Not necessarily! You don't have to use her method. I don't, and I trim my own hair.

I divide my hair in two, try to get it as even as possible, and do the "hands" equivalent of a sectioned-out ponytail. Grip at scalp, grip a few inches lower, etc, until I've gotten to my ends...then snip. Repeat with other side, snip, look at self in mirror, if not even, do the same thing to the whole length and snip or grab the section of hair that's having a problem and snip that all on its own.

I have curly/wavy though, so a completely even cut will often look about as good as a mostly-even cut with me.

enfys
July 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Not necessarily! You don't have to use her method. I don't, and I trim my own hair.

I divide my hair in two, try to get it as even as possible, and do the "hands" equivalent of a sectioned-out ponytail. Grip at scalp, grip a few inches lower, etc, until I've gotten to my ends...then snip. Repeat with other side, snip, look at self in mirror, if not even, do the same thing to the whole length and snip or grab the section of hair that's having a problem and snip that all on its own.

I have curly/wavy though, so a completely even cut will often look about as good as a mostly-even cut with me.

So you grab your hair like you're climbing a rope? As long as you don't let any slip it's fine I suppose. Hmm.

Actually, I might just use my minions. I'll find someone to do it for me.

Idun
July 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Do you guys bring your own combs to the salon?