PDA

View Full Version : ANyone else save shed hairs?

Bunnyhare
July 5th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I read about ladies keeping their shed hairs for making rats once in an article about victorian/edwardian hair and wondered if any one else does this? it inspired me to do it..i don't shed near as much as i thought! i thought i would be able to make several rats in no time but there really is not much hair there! Maybe this could inspire those who feel like they are shedding alot to see what it really is! They also talked of a porcelain depository for the hairs, mine are in a baggie but a porcelain jar could be cute...-er :)

slz
July 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Gotta ask Dianyla :bigeyes: :D

Anlbe
July 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I don't but I keep meaning to, I'd like to make narrow braids to use as hair ties. My grandmother used to have quite a few hair pieces and they were so incredibly useful and very beautiful. Hers were a gift rather than from shedding but I know that the majority of hair pieces and extensions for sale nowadays come from shedding so there's obviously nothing wrong with that.

allege
July 5th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I am saving my sheds to make a rat. So far I have one fist size ball of hair.

sweet*things
July 5th, 2009, 08:58 AM
My husband would claim I "save" them all over the shower.:rolleyes::D

I've thought about it, they would be the perfect bun foundations, if nothing else. I always wanted to get one of these hair collecting jars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-White-Porcelain-Hair-Collector-Jar-lid-Bavaria_W0QQitemZ250457185998QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a50695ece&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 293%3A1%7C294%3A50

That's not a great example, but the only one I could find on Ebay right now.

Bunnyhare
July 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I am saving my sheds to make a rat. So far I have one fist size ball of hair.
WOW! I have been doing this for 3 months and have a little pancake the size of my palm..how long have you been saving?

Bunnyhare
July 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
My husband would claim I "save" them all over the shower.:rolleyes::D

I've thought about it, they would be the perfect bun foundations, if nothing else. I always wanted to get one of these hair collecting jars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-White-Porcelain-Hair-Collector-Jar-lid-Bavaria_W0QQitemZ250457185998QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a50695ece&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 293%3A1%7C294%3A50

That's not a great example, but the only one I could find on Ebay right now.
Our shower would testify to the same!HEEHEE
They are great foundations, and since its your hair the color and texture make them invisble!
I was thinking of making one maybe in the shape of a frog or lizard and thier mouth is the opening! That one looks like a tulip, very pretty.

Xandergrammy
July 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM
This morning in the shower I actually started counting my shed hairs, but I chickened out when I heard DH coming. He's very accepting/enabling about most hair stuff, but he might think I've gone over the edge if I started counting/saving my shed hairs. :bigeyes: What does your S/O think about this?

bakertwins2004
July 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have a nice "rat" from my brushes. I shed like crazy. It's a wonder I am not bald.

Elphie
July 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23616

Finoriel
July 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I do :) since two or three years. I save them quite unspectacular in an old small paper bag from a bakery. Already made some rats with it for sock buns and similar updos. They are quite useful, very lightweight and of course colour accurate to my own hair. Bought rats or donuts for a sock bun never match with my haircolour and it would bother me to have people see the ´undies´ of my bun :p so I prefer to wear my own hair as a hairpiece.
I thought about lining the hair up to do micro-braids with it, but never got around to actually do it. Lack of time in the mornings. And I assume it would freak out my other half and guests visiting our bathroom if there was tape with lined up hair on it stuck to the wall :lol:.

akevita2002
July 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I started collecting shed hairs also, but I do it to see how my shedding varies depending on what products I'm using, or how I keep my hair, or stress levels, etc.
Well, my mother and sister think I'm crazy and that I don't have anything better to do lolz..Maybe I am temporary insane, but I can't help it

EdG
July 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I save shed hairs, but only the longest ones (over 30 inches). I record the length and date and put the shed strands in a manila envelope.

For me, this is a way to record my longest shed strands. My current record holders are 48 inches, and I have two shed strands at that length. I should have them encased in Lucite. :D
Ed

gmdiaz
July 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I do not save them. . .

But I do keep an eye on how many I lose with every washing, every updo, watching to be sure I am not having any major changes.

What can I learn by recording shed lengths.

EdG
July 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
But now I am wondering: What can I learn by recording shed lengths?One can learn one's true terminal length (if one doesn't trim one's ends). :)
Ed

gmdiaz
July 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I see, thanks!

Bunnyhare
July 5th, 2009, 10:32 AM
This morning in the shower I actually started counting my shed hairs, but I chickened out when I heard DH coming. He's very accepting/enabling about most hair stuff, but he might think I've gone over the edge if I started counting/saving my shed hairs. :bigeyes: What does your S/O think about this?
My DH doesn't care what i do as long as i let my hair grow!He has supported me through WO,vitamins,buying brushes(which i don't need or use now)reading on LHC for hours! He is the best.i haven't counted at all, i just kinda roll them together since i am aiming at a rat.

Redheaded Raven
July 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I am saving my sheds to make a rat to:o:)

Bunnyhare
July 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I save shed hairs, but only the longest ones (over 30 inches). I record the length and date and put the shed strands in a manila envelope.

For me, this is a way to record my longest shed strands. My current record holders are 48 inches, and I have two shed strands at that length. I should have them encased in Lucite. :D
Ed
WOW! That is way too organized for me! i just roll them all together and have them in a baggie..the baggie seems too mundane for this though, i feel like they need to be in something lovely that lets moisture go..

Bunnyhare
July 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23616
Thank you for this thread..very fun! i did not mean to hijack it!THere is a lot of good stuff there too!

HotRag
July 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM
But I do keep an eye on how many I lose with every washing, every updo, watching to be sure I am not having any major changes.
Have you discovered any updo that causes more shedding?

I also keep track of this.
I have a table and diagram in Excel to watch and fill in data :)

Clipped up braid, or Chinese like bun from braid seems to be best.
Orchid bun worst.
Sleeping with anything but braided (not clipped up or bunned) or loose hair, makes me shed more.

But - I don't know if the average shedding would be the same if I tried to make these buns every day for a longer time. It could be that I would not loose more hairs in total, just that different buns makes it amount of shedded hairs uneven, just like "washing day" can do.

And I assume it would freak out my other half and guests visiting our bathroom if there was tape with lined up hair on it stuck to the wall :lol:.
I have my hairs taped up on the bathroom wall :D
My DH don't mind.

HotRag
July 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Is S/O same as husband?
My husband doesn't care about my collection of hairs here and there.
And I don't feel awkward about doing strange things anyway. shudder:

gmdiaz
July 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Have you discovered any up do that causes more shedding?

Orchid bun worst.
Sleeping with anything but braided (not clipped up or bunned) or loose hair, makes me shed more.

But - I don't know if the average shedding would be the same if I tried to make these buns every day for a longer time. It could be that I would not loose more hairs in total, just that different buns makes it amount of shedded hairs uneven, just like "washing day" can do.

No, not really. . .I just keep an eye on the number of sheds (a few, quite a few, and holy crap) to see that I am not being too rough. I wear a lot of twisted styles that could cause damage if I didn't really baby my hair.

I wear my hair up most of the time and sleep in a braid.

Right now, I am not shedding much at all, less than 15-20 hairs a day. . . but I can go as high as 45-50 on occasion.

Bunnyhare
July 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Have you discovered any updo that causes more shedding?

Orchid bun worst.

I have my hairs taped up on the bathroom wall :D
My DH don't mind.
I don't even know how to do Excel!:DMy husband is very tolerant as well, he is awesome! and i don't mind doing things that are "out of the normal" either..in fact, i kinda try to, usually..most of the time..

RoseRedDead
July 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I don't currently, but I think I'd like to start... I'd like to have a rat so I can make a puffier bun... My family will probably think I'm nuts...

Moonstruck
July 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I'm really ignorant, but may I ask for like, a visual representation of what this "rat" is? I'm not sure I understand what you guys are going for! Haha.

I'm currently taping my hairs (only the longer ones) to my bookshelf - I was going to try and do the Dianyla braids, albeit much shorter. The rat thing sounds interesting but I'm not sure what it is. I don't do updos often...maybe that's why?

Finoriel
July 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Basically it is shaping the shed hair by felting it into shape. Like you would do with wool. It´s more difficult than working with wool, because of the length and coarseness of the individual strands, but it works.
I shaped a donut for a sock bun with one years shed, a gigantic sausage / big dread to put under Gibson Pompadour (http://www.intimelyfashion.com/index2.html)-type styles, worth 1,5 years shed hair.
And I plan to do some thinner dreads soon, to add them into other updos.
There is also the possibility of making somehow looser wads of hair to use instead of those bumpits, to add height on top of ones head.
Hmmm I have pictures somewhere around, but I run out of time here :wink: I need to work now, coffee break is over. I´ll see if I can upload them later.

ETA: Arg direkt linking does not work on the site I linked. Go on Hairstyles, Edwardian, Gibson Pompadour var. there you can see a bought rat for getting an idea about how my "sausage" looks like.

longinthehair
July 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I am inspired to start saving..nice to have a purpose for those shed hairs! I have a basket designated..and a collection of shed hairs would be a whole lot lighter rat than my homemade one from wired pillow rollers covered with panty hose nylon, which I use for a wrapped pony. However my nylon store-bought donut I will still use for a sock bun because that is really light anyway and works great.

thankyousir74
July 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I would, but I'd rather start collecting when my hair is longer, maybe TBL.

Bunnyhare
July 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
vermont country store sells the acrylic "rats" in a few shapes and colors. they are very light and i like my donut too. "rat" is just a term for a clump of hair used to "supplement" your natural hair in styles that need some extra OOOMMPHHH

may1em
July 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
No, but I should start sending my shed hairs and the bits from when I trim to Matter of Trust. If it's not on my head anymore, it might as well be sopping up oil spills instead of taking up space in a landfill.

batteredcakes
July 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I never do because it's a lot of hair and I don't feel like keeping them lol I have no where to put them